Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I wanna know is what Pop did to Kawhi that made him hate him enough to talk about him to his teammates. ...
    Why do you imagine Kawhi ever did that?

People can easily form opinions about Pop without ever hearing a word from Kawhi. Witness this entire forum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jonathon Simmons was a highly motivated individual who ran up to his limit, as a bench spark. He probably thinks thinks he's due more but pop was right to limit his minutes based on his skills and peak.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jonathon Simmons was a highly motivated individual who ran up to his limit, as a bench spark. He probably thinks thinks he's due more but pop was right to limit his minutes based on his skills and peak.
    Jonathan Simmons =/= Kawhi Leonard

You can tell Jon to stop shooting and low ball him, but hoping Kawhi is limited to being a 20 point, 30 mpg player to make LaMatouches happy, then giving Fatty 50 mill is a different matter altogether.

Pop treats some fairly, others he plays favorites with, and others thinks he can mold them into whatever the he wants with that outdated military style while hogging all the credit himself. It isn't going to fly in today's NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I not sure where the animosity comes from though he may feel disrespect from the not a leader comment (taken out of context) or feel the Spurs made him out to be a quitter.

I did have a interesting conversation with my Co worker who is very tied in to the Magic organization whose current GM has close ties to Raptors FO. We had been talking back and forth on Kawhi last couple weeks. He had a conversation this past weekend and while there was no direct info regarding Kawhi/Pop relationship someone related a time they spoke with JSimmons after coming over to Magic.

JSimmons talked about how Pop was great but there were a group of players who did what they were asked but had issues with Pop. The specific things he mentioned were Pop treating players differently and not based on star VS role player, but he had his favorites, and who played wasn't always based on merit and some guys felt they were capable of doing more to help win but had to fall in line. (which is somewhat true of any team/coach I think).

The other interesting thing was he talked about Pop's politics, not from a standpoint of these guys being repubs or necessarily disagreeing with Pop (though he did said he knew JSimms wasn't a fan of taxes ) but it was more along the lines that JSimms wasn't "woke" and didn't care to be. He said there was a group of players that wanted to play basketball, give back as they saw fit, and didn't really care about political stuff and that wasn't OK with Pop. I don't have an exact quote but Simmons said something along the lines of told "a grown ass real nig**r doesn't need an old ass cracker telling him about how his people suffered and what he should be doing about it. I wanna play basketball and take care of my family". Again not a exact qoute, but what this guy remembered. Now JSimms never mentioned Kawhi but definitely said he wasn't the only one who felt this way
    so you're saying kawhi is a house slave?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I not sure where the animosity comes from though he may feel disrespect from the not a leader comment (taken out of context) or feel the Spurs made him out to be a quitter.

I did have a interesting conversation with my Co worker who is very tied in to the Magic organization whose current GM has close ties to Raptors FO. We had been talking back and forth on Kawhi last couple weeks. He had a conversation this past weekend and while there was no direct info regarding Kawhi/Pop relationship someone related a time they spoke with JSimmons after coming over to Magic.

JSimmons talked about how Pop was great but there were a group of players who did what they were asked but had issues with Pop. The specific things he mentioned were Pop treating players differently and not based on star VS role player, but he had his favorites, and who played wasn't always based on merit and some guys felt they were capable of doing more to help win but had to fall in line. (which is somewhat true of any team/coach I think).

The other interesting thing was he talked about Pop's politics, not from a standpoint of these guys being repubs or necessarily disagreeing with Pop (though he did said he knew JSimms wasn't a fan of taxes ) but it was more along the lines that JSimms wasn't "woke" and didn't care to be. He said there was a group of players that wanted to play basketball, give back as they saw fit, and didn't really care about political stuff and that wasn't OK with Pop. I don't have an exact quote but Simmons said something along the lines of told "a grown ass real nig**r doesn't need an old ass cracker telling him about how his people suffered and what he should be doing about it. I wanna play basketball and take care of my family". Again not a exact qoute, but what this guy remembered. Now JSimms never mentioned Kawhi but definitely said he wasn't the only one who felt this way
    If you're going to censor your words, do it correctly, my guy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean how would any of y'all feel if you were an NBA player and your coach shows you videos of penguins in film sessions?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're going to censor your words, do it correctly, my guy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FVV’s head is getting too big for his own good

"We delivered"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For someone that’s been so quiet on the court, he sure is all puffed up and wordy now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Raps dont beat Mke without Vanfleets heroics...hate him all you want..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Raps dont beat Mke without Vanfleets heroics...hate him all you want..

Dude was the anti mills for them

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not wrong though. That's exactly my issue with Pop too. You're not a politician, you're a damn basketball coach. Go out there and preach that. Also we know he plays favorites. Just like how Mills can do all kinds of ups yet is still in Pop's good graces but when LDN made one mistake, Pop would give him a hard time and bench him.
    Well said Pop treats his players like college player like he has to mold them into men. the politics and just coach basketball so your team can get past the first round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jonathan Simmons =/= Kawhi Leonard

You can tell Jon to stop shooting and low ball him, but hoping Kawhi is limited to being a 20 point, 30 mpg player to make LaMatouches happy, then giving Fatty 50 mill is a different matter altogether.

Pop treats some fairly, others he plays favorites with, and others thinks he can mold them into whatever the he wants with that outdated military style while hogging all the credit himself. It isn't going to fly in today's NBA.
    as limited as simmons is, spurs shouldve kept him instead of the overrated vets on their way out

the year the spurs made wcf against the rockets, they had david lee, simmons, dedmon, david west, let all of them walked
    the following year summer, they let more younger guys go for nothing
    basically half of the roster that was on that wcf run all got dealt

fck the spurms patfo getting rid of the young core that was meant to be built around kawhi, only to pissed him off with the continuing signing of vets on loyalty deals

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oddly enough, the most accomplished coaches in NBA history-red, phil, riley and pop-all "molded" their players' characters (albeit in different ways and from different angles). even kerr is similar to this (as are spoelstra and rivers-which would be odd if leonard winds up a clipper).

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys all upset about nothing. FVV didn't say " Pop". He said "smoke pot".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop will hug Kawhi and congratulate him when he plays against the Spurs next. Then Pop will shake hands and hug Fred Van Vleet too when the Raptors come to town
    True. Without Tim ing Duncan, commie is .

Most people here called the fall of poop when he started getting political. It happened. If he can't shut the up next year, we'll be out in the first round again.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

From the outside looking in it's always seemed like Pop was big picture kind of person. We've all heard him say there are things in life bigger than basketball or a persons individual accomplishments. I think this way of thinking does get the most out of players. It's what turns a D-League player into a starter or rotation player for an nba championship. It's not the only way of running a franchise or business but it's what has most worked for the Spurs, so why would we go away from it. I know there are some players who's thoughts are, " this I just want to play basketball", I'm sure most fans think this way as well. Some players are good enough to play in whatever the environment they want to and still succeed, Kawhi Leonard. But fringe rotation players do not do well in the type of environment that is, BASKETBALL MATTERS AND NOTHING ELSE. Nor do stars, only the truly elite can dictate the environment of the team and still succeed.
    Last edited by Jsn; 06-18-2019 at 07:21 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. Without Tim ing Duncan, commie is .

Most people here called the fall of poop when he started getting political. It happened. If he can't shut the up next year, we'll be out in the first round again.
    so conservative posters started getting salty after pop starting saying liberal things. got it!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is a saying that goes something like, "show me who your friends are and I'll show you who you are."
    Well Popovich’s friend is a Trump campaign donating supporter lol(peter Holt)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If true Jsims should really STFU...without POP/Spurs he'd be working at an airport unloading luggage

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The funny thing is I can believe Simmons most likely felt and said the comments posted of course without using the "ER" on the N- word.

He most likely felt he wasn't getting playing time due to Pop having favorites, even Stephen Jackson brought up the playing time stuff on television. The funny thing about that though is both players who complained about wanting bigger roles and more playing time were really not good enough to back up their complaints. Lol. Both times the Spurs did the right thing letting Jackson walk and Simmons is a low efficiency ball hog. Funny enough kind of like Jackson was. Lol.

As far as Pop's so called politics and such I can again see Simmons having the mindset of all that because of where he came from and how he got to the NBA. There is alot of people who are out for themselves and those around them and that's it. Which is fine, in my opinion but I understand where Pop is coming from when he looks at people with money, power and influence should try to do more to help their communities.

A lot of people who "make it" forget that a lot of folks help them get to where they are and everyone needs assistance every now and then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so conservative posters started getting salty after pop starting saying liberal things. got it!
    It is quite transparent, isn't it?

Kinda funny to me because they support a man that attacks everyone yet Pop has justifiable feelings on the man along with a majority of his fellow Americans but cant say a word. Sounds kinda safe-spacy to me... ing MAGAts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop’s been ‘political’ for a long time. BFD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amusing that it took some until recently to figure that out.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Justified, tbh. He deported him to "NBA Siberia" like all of you gots were saying last year. Then went on to say he wasn't a leader during the season.

FVV might have been drunk to be fair. We don't have to look any further than our GM during free agency or a drive home to realize we do stupid when we're drunk.

Thread Information