Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. Zion Williamson

By far the best player in the draft. Untouchable.

2. RJ Barrett
    3. DeAndre Hunter

Rumors have surfaced of the Spurs perhaps trading into the top 10 -- possibly as high as No. 4. If San Antonio is able to get into that range, these are the two players who make the most sense. Barrett has star potential and he's a long-term fit next to the other young building blocks on the roster. Hunter doesn't have as high of a ceiling as Barrett, however he should be a really good starter at small forward on Day 1.

4. Ja Morant
    5. Jarrett Culver

For most teams, Morant would be even higher. But for the Spurs, he's not someone who is a long-term fit next to Derrick White and Dejounte Murray; San Antonio would have to basically tear everything down and build around Morant if they were to get him. Culver is similar in that while he's a very good player, the Spurs would need to retool everything to make it work.

6. Sekou Doumbouya
    7. Cam Reddish
    8. Nassir Little
    9. Rui Hachimura
    10. Romeo Langford

These five players are all strong fits, have high ceilings and attaining any one of them is within the realm of possibilities (Hachimura or Langford could even drop to 19).

While Doumbouya got kicked out of the same basketball factory that produced Tony Parker and Boris Diaw, if his character checks out, his height (6-foot-9), age (18), fluid athleticism and perimeter skills make him very appealing. As it stands, he's already a good three-point shooter and is one of the few players in the draft who's ceiling would be nearing superstar status.

Reddish is oozing with potential as a long, smooth SF who might one day be an elite shooter. He had a tough freshman season at Duke but the Spurs could potentially trade up and grab him if he begins to slip.

Little has a chance to become a bulldog defender on the wing with possible upside as a scorer. Like Riddish, Little didn't have a good freshman year at North Carolina. However, he has rare two-way upside that is very valuable in today's NBA if he pans out.

Hachimura's ceiling is a potent forward scorer who is too quick for bigs and too powerful for smalls. While many scouts are low on him due to basketball IQ reasons, San Antonio could provide him with time and space to grow and learn the game. And, really, even if he never fully develops, the Spurs would still have use for a bench scoring forward.

Langford is the worst fit of this group but if he adds enough strength, he could become a full-time small forward. As it is, he is already strong and his frame (6-foot-6 with a 6-foot-11 wingspan) and broad shoulders are already that of a wing. Langford was highly regarded in high school but he's yet another prospect who struggled as a freshman. If he falls in the draft, his abilities to finish at the basket and get to the free throw line would be tempting at 19.

11. Darius Garland
    12. Coby White

Garland and White are quality players who should both go in the top six or seven picks. They're lower on this Big Board because they simply aren't fits for the Spurs.

13. Goga Bitadze
    14. Jaxson Hayes

Up until this season, prospects comparable to Bitadze and Hayes would be locks for the lottery. But now with NBA teams not valuing centers like they used to, it's conceivable that Bitadze or Hayes could drop to 19. If that happens, the Spurs could get very good value by selecting either player. They both fit reasonably well in the short-term and both could be pieces San Antonio could build around as the years go by ... as long as the center position doesn't go extinct.

15. Bol Bol
    16. Kevin Porter Jr.
    17. Nic Claxton
    18. Luka Samanic
    19. Darius Bazley

The 2019 draft is filled to the brim with boom or bust candidates. These are the five that the Spurs would need to decide on at this point of the draft. While they all have really low floors, their ceilings are exciting and the fits would be seamless.

The two questions for Bol: does he care and is he healthy? If the Spurs believe both answers are positive, his ceiling is sky high. He's a fluid 7-foot-2 big with perimeter skills, an amazingly accurate jumper and a good feel for the game. Bol's a risk but there aren't three players in the draft with a higher ceiling.

Porter comes from a challenging background, had character issues during his freshman season at USC and he's not the greatest fit as an isolation shooting guard. That said, his talent is immense and, perhaps more importantly, rare. If the Spurs think Murray (same high school) and DeRozan (same college) could be good influences, Porter could be worth a roll of the dice.

Claxton is a mobile big who has a chance to be the most switchable center in the NBA on defense. He also has upside on offense as a ballhandler, passer, shooter and shot creator. However, he needs a year or two in the weight room to withstand the rigors of the league -- and everything about him is still mostly theoretical.

Samanic is an athletic power forward with a smooth looking jumper. If you watch him in a workout, you can see glimpses of Dirk Nowitzki. But when you watch him play, you see glimpses of a poor man's Andrea Bargnani. If the Spurs believe in his tools, they may bet big on his development.

Bazley is virtual unknown. He played against low level compe ion in high school and then bounced around before sitting out all of last season. Another workout warrior, you can convince yourself that he's a legit point power forward in the mold of Ben Simmons -- but with a jumper. His floor, though, is that of a player who isn't good enough for the G-League. Do the Spurs believe in him? We'll soon find out.

20. Nickeil Alexander-Walker
    21. Brandon Clarke

I don't particularly dislike either Alexander-Walker or Clarke but I just don't see the fit. Alexander-Walker is an athleticism-challenged combo guard whose upside might not be higher than the downsides for either White or Murray.

Clarke was historically productive in his season at Gonzaga but how exactly does he fit in San Antonio? Right now, he's a center who is the size of Danny Green and Klay Thompson. He can't shoot, he can't dribble and he's not much of a passer. Clarke is ready for minutes on Day 1 because he's a very good defender and interior scorer but there aren't many lineups he'd thrive in for the Spurs.

22. PJ Washington
    23. Keldon Johnson
    24. Cameron Johnson

These are three high floor, low ceiling prospects. They'd be relatively boring picks ... but since when do the Spurs shy away from boredom?

Washington is a perimeter power forward with enough length to score in the paint. I see him being able to help the team as a rookie if the Spurs draft him.

Of the two Johnsons, Keldon has a bit of a higher ceiling as a strong wing who can defend a bit and shoot a bit. He plays hard, even if he's not an extreme talent. Cameron, on the other hand, is the best shooter in the draft. He's tall, has effortless three-point range and impressive footwork. Everything else about him, however, is iffy. It's questionable whether he can play D in the NBA -- he might be Steve Novak reincarnate.

25. Chuma Okeke
    26. Isaiah Roby
    27. Grant Williams
    28. Jontay Porter
    29. Bruno Fernando

This fivesome is intriguing. If the Spurs fall in love with any of these five, they are draftable at 29.

Okeke looked to be a first rounder until his ACL snapped in the NCAA tournament. He'd miss next season but when he comes back, he's a great fit. Okeke is an all-around forward who can do a bit of everything. His only weakness is probably the lack of high level athleticism.

Roby is pretty much the opposite. He has high level athleticism with enviable measurables ... but he needs to learn how to play the game. He underwhelmed at Nebraska despite the physical tools at his disposal. But if he figures out how to play, he could be a good one.

Williams is near genius level on and off the court. He's also impressively strong. Unfortunately for him, his fit in the NBA is questionable -- even in today's tweener friendly league. He doesn't appear to be big enough to play on the inside or mobile enough to play on the outside. That said, he might be able to carve out a niche with his smarts.

Porter has torn his ACL twice in the last year and will miss all of next season. Injuries are a major concern, especially when factoring in his family history, but his talent is immense. He's a super smart stretch center with guard instincts and a smooth stroke. If he gets healthy, he could be a steal. He'd be a little bit of a reach at 29 but a great gamble at 49 if the Spurs believe there's a decent shot that he can get healthy.

Fernando is a quickly improving center with burgeoning perimeter skills. He's a very good athlete with NBA length. Every other season before this season, he'd be a first round pick. But the NBA has soured on centers for the time being so he could slip through the cracks.

30. Matisse Thybulle
    31. Tyler Herro
    32. Mfiondu Kabengele
    33. Ty Jerome

These four players should be off the board at this point in the draft. While skilled, the fit in San Antonio would be questionable at best.

If the Spurs wanted a Thybulle type player, they would have just kept Danny Green. Herro's most realistic outcome is somewhere in the neighborhood of a Bryn Forbes clone. Kabengele is a monstrous, talented big but he doesn't pass the ball at all, doesn't play with much smarts at all and has injury concerns. That doesn't sound like Spurs material. Jerome is a safe pick but even if he pans out, it'd be difficult to ever justify playing him over White, Murray, Walker and maybe even Forbes.

34. DaQuan Jeffries
    35. Talen Horton-Tucker
    36. Eric Paschall
    37. KZ Okpala
    38. Dylan Windler
    38. Louis King
    40. Charles Matthews

Jeffries needs work but he's smart, extremely athletic and is a fit as a wing. Horton-Tucker is a 6-foot-4 enigma with arms for days who has enough upside potential to justify drafting anywhere after pick 22 or so. Paschall would be ready right away as a power wing but his ceiling is a ninth or tenth player in a rotation.

Okpala is a smart guy with prototypical long wing measurements but there's little proof he's actually capable of playing basketball. Windler dominated at a low level but will most likely struggle against NBA athletes. King has size and can shoot ... but that's about the extent of it. Matthews is a great one-on-one defender but he too tore an ACL and would be out all of next season. When he comes back, not being a negative on offense would be challenge.

41. Luguentz Dort
    42. Terence Davis
    43. Daniel Gafford
    44. Admiral Schofield

Dort and Davis are hard-charging shooting guards with defensive potential but questionable natural instincts. Gafford is a traditional center who can run and jump ... but that's about it. Schofield is a beast who could play a role early on but doesn't have much untapped potential at all.

45. Jalen Lecque
    46. Naz Reid

These are two fascinating prospects. Lecque can jump out of the gym and is unknown enough to make a front office fantasize about his potential. Reid is a hefty bigman with enough perimeter skills to be a poor man's Brook Lopez down the line.

47. Deividas Sirvydis
    48. Yovel Zoosman
    49. Joshua Obiesie
    50. Marcos Louzada Silva

It's unlikely that the Spurs will want three rookies on next season's roster. If that's indeed the case, pick 49 could be a good ol' fashioned draft-and-stash. These four players should drop into the second round and could become something in two, three or four years.

An alternative to going the draft-and-stash route would entail finding a player willing to sign a two-way contract or even sign directly with the Austin Spurs. Names to watch for in this scenario would be Charles Matthews, Terence Davis, Cody Martin, Zylan Cheatham, Justin Wright-Foreman, Jaylen Nowell, Terance Mann and Kyle Guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"Bazley is virtual unknown. He played against low level compe ion in high school and then bounced around before sitting out all of last season. "

Giannis lite ...would be ideal with the pick 29
    Last edited by r0drig0lac; 06-18-2019 at 07:55 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On a serious note... I wish you were more bold with your draft order. Its just like any other mock draft out there. Its funny because most mock drafts just get it wrong, like way wrong about prospects that if you ordered last year's draft or any year before it compared to the order based off on how good the player became--it would look vastly different.

Msg to GNSF; Be Bold Immortal Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great read. Will keep this page as reference for draft night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good stuff, LJ.

Even if we don't trade up, I'm still very excited about this draft.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It depends whos on the board but I would take Okeke at 19. At 29 i would take samanic or bazley at 29 if available

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks timvp, been waiting for this the whole day!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Hawks have 5, 8 and 17. If a player we like is available at 17, what would it take to move up 2 spots?
    No.19 plus _______? I just don't want us sitting back waiting for that player at 19, only to be Goberted again by the team at 18.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Appreciate the effort put into this. We see eye to eye on most of these. My biggest gripes are probably Bol Bol being way too high at 15 and I think Windler is becoming a bit underrated. Windler may not be as good of a shooter as Cam Johnson, but he’s close and I like the rest of his game much better (and he he has some sneaky athleticism).

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like what you did with your board, making it Spurs-specific. I know a lot of people talk about BPA, but you can't totally disregard team makeup. If the team wouldn't hire a free agent that was a bad fit, there's no reason they should draft a bad fit - unless it was such an exceptional talent that they could build around him, or use him in a trade.

I also like it that you have guys like P.J. Washington, Keldon and Cameron Johnson higher than guys like Okpala, Kabengele, and Herro. For the Spurs, that just makes a lot of sense.

I do wonder if Morant, or even Culver would have a high enough ceiling to go ahead and rebuild around one of them. It would mean cutting ties with DeRozan and one of White or Murray. I think both NOP and ATL could absorb DeRozan's salary, which would clear up space. And either White or Murray have value in a trade. NOP is going to be so draft pick rich, they could actually use a proven vet scorer like DeRozan on the roster.
    I'm not advocating it, but if the Spurs really did trade up, seems about as likely as any.

Lots of thought and effort into this board. Thanks for doing it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA TV Mock draft just selected Bruno Fernando at 19 to the Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nbatv had a mock draft special this evening and they had the spurs selecting Bruno Fernando not my ideal choice but they mentioned how some RC I think has some kind of connection with the Maryland coach so they would have the appropriate amount of into on him

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Bol Bol is there the Spurs better strongly consider taking him. Only other player I'd prefer is Rui

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Blow it up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very nice, thx

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, good write-up.

I wonder what it's going to take to get Washington's 9th pick where you get into the Sekou, Little, Reddish, Rui territory...

Forbes/Bertans/19th/29th and I'd do it but still not enough for the Wiz IMO...

Most likely scenario is they stay at 19 and pick somebody crappy like Herro, Jerome, etc.....I usually give them the benefit of the doubt on these picks but that would be unforgivable tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does Sekou have the potential to slap kwitter in a couple of years?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They say he could have one of the highest ceilings in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA TV Mock draft just selected Bruno Fernando at 19 to the Spurs
    No way, he’s too edgy and vocal for PATFO. Maybe at 29 if he is still there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nbatv had a mock draft special this evening and they had the spurs selecting Bruno Fernando not my ideal choice but they mentioned how some RC I think has some kind of connection with the Maryland coach so they would have the appropriate amount of into on him
    The Maryland coach (Turgeon) and RC are both Kansas University alums. Not sure if they played together. I don’t think RC has ever drafted a KU player and passes them up all the times. Last KU alum I remember on the team was Drew Gooden.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need vintage drunk RC circa 1999-2003 in this draft.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man / I disagree with some of this. But the most egregious one imo is not having Clarke at least in the Goga/Hayes tier. I know his fit is tough but if he develops his potential is every bit as high as most. He’s too accomplished in college and way to athletic to have him so low. He’s got tremendous upside even if it’s a somewhat long shot he gets there.

I also disagree with Hayes/Goga being behind guys like Rui/Little. I would be very happy with Rui/Little at 19 but Hayes/Goga have similar upside (especially Hayes) and lesser question marks. I get C is not a glam position anymore and fit is a concern but they are too solid of prospects with pretty high floors too.

Rest of it overall I’m good with

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bol's a risk but there aren't three players in the draft with a higher ceiling.
    So if Zion Williamson is one of the two players with a higher ceiling than Bol, who's the other? Barrett? Or Doumbouya?

Thread Information