Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like the Spurs really were gonna take Goga if the Pacers hadn't taken him one pick earlier.

19. San Antonio Spurs: Luka Samanic, F, Croatia

This might be a little high for Samanic, but the Spurs ultimately opted for a player they came to covet after Goga Bitadze went off the board one pick earlier. The fit between prospect and team here is strong, and he may not have made it all the way to San Antonio at No. 29. Credit the Spurs for just grabbing the guy they like here, although this was considered to be the high end of his range. There’s a bit of risk involved here, but Samanic lands in a good situation for his development. Grade: B
    https://www.si.com/nba/2019/06/20/nb...ant-rj-barrett

My Team
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Post Count
    I knew the Spurs were picking him the minute I saw RC live at his game in Ljubljana for the second time in like 2 months.

4 weeks ago:

We've got ourselves another quitter, guys.

Some additional info for those too laz to read his draft profile thread:

For the record, I actually see him more of a F-PF than a PF-C. He has bulked up since the start of this season, tho.
    Being drafted into the NBA is like winning the lottery. You absolutely bail in this situation. I don't have a problem with this. cross my fingers.

My Team
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Post Count
    The lanky Croat can shoot and handle much better than most players at 6-11, which immediately makes him borderline first-round talent. Samanic is exceptionally agile and flashes an array of guard-like dribble moves that allow him to blow by aggressive closeouts. He needs to significantly increase his physical strength, as his scrawny frame will not allow him to endure the pounding of an NBA schedule. He is an ideal candidate to stash in Europe for a year or two while he physically matures. It's hard to imagine a better situation for him to develop than with the Spurs.
    https://www.nbadraft.net/instant-analysis/2019

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6'11 and only 19! Theres def upside here but hes only listed at 206?!
    He said he's up to 224 lbs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He legit looks Nowitzki-esque at times. Obviously he won't be Dirk but he's much more dynamic than a typical Euro big.
    Go look at Dirk's first season stats

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another interesting info: the team he played for this year has quite some connections to today's (and yesterday's ) NBA/Spurs players:

- Davis Bertans played here for a while
    - Aron Baynes played here and came to Spurs in the middle of the season
    - Danny Green played here during lockout
    - Rasho Nesterovic, Beno Udrih, Goran Dragic played here
    - Luka Doncic played for their youth selections
    Well, that's interesting information.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka, dobrodosao.
    Rad, rad i samo rad i bit ce dobro.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew the Spurs were picking him the minute I saw RC live at his game in Ljubljana for the second time in like 2 months.

4 weeks ago:

We've got ourselves another quitter, guys.

Some additional info for those too laz to read his draft profile thread:

For the record, I actually see him more of a F-PF than a PF-C. He has bulked up since the start of this season, tho.
    I remember when me and you chatted about his effort. I also didn't like that he ghosted his former team and that worries me a bit about how he will respond to coach Pop's demanding coaching style. Hopefully he isn't a diva like it's kinda seeming.

I do like his talent athletically, shooting touch, and decent handling skills for a guy his height. I think him adding that extra muscle helped him alot during the combine game he played and might be one of the reason he didn't put up great numbers on his team. His wingspan being as small as it is for his height is also a worrying thing

All things considered I thought, said and hoped the SPURS drafted him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smaka, can you comment on his compe ive nature?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Smaka, can you comment on his compe ive nature?
    I think his compe iveness has a lot to do with motivation. He was far more compe ive in higher ranked compe ions (more publicity, more scouts, etc.), you could see that if you watched him play in different compe ions. Effort in Slovenian league ( ty league), when RC and other scouts came to watch him play, was uncomparable to effort in "just another game" in the domestic league. In those random games, he would often start the game forcing shots; if they didn't fall, he would often sync out of game and not even play much till the end. I think effort, compe iveness, consistency and motivation are all factors that are closely connected to each other.

I think he won't be given a chance to be a diva with Spurs, we all know that, and I think it will boost his consistency (or at least I hope so).

One thing worth mentioning is that a team he played for had 3 different head coaches this season, which cannot anyhow be good for a young player like Luka. Think that might have added up a little to his inconsistency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ability Luca has to grab and go coupled with Murray, White, Walker and Poetl is going to make the Spurs a fun to watch up tempo team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This dude has an excellent frame. His shoulders are real wide like Kawhi DRob before him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see Tom Chambers/Tom Gugliotta type player...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel much better after seeing RC say they felt he was the best player available and a target of theirs. It means they really believe in Luka, even more so than Little.
    You missed the discussion in the draft thread. Little is a coke head, and in fact was busted, but because he went yappin’ to the Captain, and played for UNC, they let him off without being charged. Jailblazers ride again!,,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    his ceiling is probably poor man Kukoc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You missed the discussion in the draft thread. Little is a coke head, and in fact was busted, but because he went yappin’ to the Captain, and played for UNC, they let him off without being charged. Jailblazers ride again!,,
    I would want no part of Little with that type of background. Life is too short for that drama..

Luka had no problem getting where he wants on the floor against the Combine guys. Appears to be a good athlete especially given his size.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He said his favorite current player and who he models his game after is Kevin Durant. His favorite all time player is Kirilenko. Also liked Tony Kukoc.

draft bust
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hire dirk to mentor him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn’t know he could put the ball on the floor like that. He has a well rounded skill set it appears. He could be really really good. I’m excited. He’s really gonna help space the floor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Athletic’s take on Samanic

No. 19: The San Antonio Spurs select Luka Samanic: Samanic has been on the Spurs’ radar throughout the entire draft process. He’s a high-IQ big man at 6-foot-11 who is excellent in the pick-and-roll because of his potential to shoot it and pass it. He also put on a ton of strength and good weight this season, tipping the scales at nearly 230 pounds at the combine after being extremely skinny up until the last 15 months.

With that weight has come the ability to accept contact and play through it, something that was critically missing from his game. Defensively, he’s not much of a rim protector, but teams have faith that he can be something of a versatile guy who can switch onto some perimeter players, albeit not necessarily elite quick-twitch guards. It’s earlier than I would have taken him, but he fits what the Spurs want from guys in terms of basketball IQ. It makes sense.

No real revelations there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks sick watching a dude his size handle the ball with ease. Stoked man, stoked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's already better than flat earther tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember Poodle looking aggressive, active, tough in college highlights, then none of that on the Spurs.

Will Luka follow that pattern?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like a white Kevin Durant. Can see why he mirrors his game after him.

Dude could be a problem if coached up and he takes to the game. Paired up with the young core we have...I'm definitely excited for the future.

Thread Information