My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He aint getting no call up this season

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samanic's ceiling is so much higher than undersized center Brandon Clarke's, it's not even funny. I'd rather a team in transition draft based on potential rather than role players. Even if Samanic never develops and turns into a Dragan Bender the pick would still have been worth it.

I'd rather that a team in transition behave like it's in transition. I've said it before - they aren't committed either way. IF they were in transition this offseason, why in the were they even looking at Marcus Morris? And that's just one example.

They're trying to have it both ways. You can't have it both ways.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He aint getting no call up this season
    off

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who knows if Luka could have had a breakaway season? Pop would have sat ppl like Nunn, Devonte Graham, etc... They'd probably have the other Luka in the G-league where we would be saying he is too slow and can't play defense good enough to be on the main roster...

We never know if we can have a breakout star because THIS VERSION of Pop doesn't handle young players well... He treats them as if we are a championship contender when in reality we suck and we should be actually playing our youth

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not smart to mention guards, who can use athleticism to survive as rookie, to big men who aren't strong enough to play down low and don't shoot lights out.

Spurs currently have a lottery talent big in his prime years, is Luka a better win now prosect over poertle?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not smart to mention guards, who can use athleticism to survive as rookie, to big men who aren't strong enough to play down low and don't shoot lights out.

Spurs currently have a lottery talent big in his prime years, is Luka a better win now prosect over poertle?
    The real question: is he better than Lyles. It would be interesting to see him play instead of Lyles in February when we are out of the playoff hunt

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samanic's ceiling is so much higher than undersized center Brandon Clarke's, it's not even funny. I'd rather a team in transition draft based on potential rather than role players. Even if Samanic never develops and turns into a Dragan Bender the pick would still have been worth it.

It would have been cool if he could see some real NBA minutes from time to time but there no doubt it'd serve him better to play 30 mins a game in the Gleague rather than 5 or so in the NBA. The roster being constructed so weirdly makes it even more difficult - let's not forget the Spurs currently have 7 players on rookie contracts, that's as many as deep-into-rebuilding Atlanta Hawks. The other half of the roster consists of vets, with barely anyone in their prime. Must be difficult for the coaches to find the right balance, while still trying to make the playoffs.
    Lol. Complete absolute nonsense. What are Luka's attributes that make his ceiling so high?

Even for a project this dude is not good. For a supposed shooter, he is complete trash, and against trash compe ion.

And he just might be the most unathletic supposedly "athletic" player I have ever seen.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol. Complete absolute nonsense. What are Luka's attributes that make his ceiling so high?

"Well for starters, he won't be competing with Bryn for minutes."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Even for a project this dude is not good. For a supposed shooter, he is complete trash, and against trash compe ion.

And he just might be the most unathletic supposedly "athletic" player I have ever seen.
    Why do you have to be so hyperbolic in your statements? Samanic is not "complete trash" as a shooter or close to it. Ben Simmons is complete trash... Luka has, above all, a willingness to shoot; he has good form and a quick, high release point from the games I've watched. Obviously he's not going to be Curry but there's certainly room for improvement there. What catches the eye about Luka is how he handles the ball, which is much closer to a guard than a big. It's part of what makes KD so special (who, by the way, Luka models his game after): guards are too small to effectively guard his shot (someone post that Patty/Forbes on KD pics please), and bigs are too slow to keep up with his moves and handles. He's very far away from that picture but I'd say the ceiling is high.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where are people getting this he had an at ude problem from

Talking about Keldon dancing around a question playing with Luka...uh KELDON WOULDN'T EVEN WORK OUT FOR THE SPURS SINCE HE THOUGHT HE WAS A LOTTERY PICK

Doesn't Keldon have his own logo and to

Whats his uncle name

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m always surprised at the expectation people have with a 19th pick of the draft. Teams spend years drafting in the top10 and still don’t get talent. If Samanic was drafted with the 5th pick, yes we could complain but 19th pick, really?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really don't know what everyone see's in him other than his skillset. He seems to have a dynamic style of play although it means nothing if he lacks the strength, IQ, and polish.

Obviously, he's a project, but that doesn't make sense if you're trying to stand pat, make the playoffs, and compete. Why not just draft those players who are clearly ready to contribute if that's the plan? Plug those obvious holes with a Thybulle or Clarke and compete.

To me - the Spurs reached. Time will tell though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really don't know what everyone see's in him other than his skillset. He seems to have a dynamic style of play although it means nothing if he lacks the strength, IQ, and polish.

Obviously, he's a project, but that doesn't make sense if you're trying to stand pat, make the playoffs, and compete. Why not just draft those players who are clearly ready to contribute if that's the plan? Plug those obvious holes with a Thybulle or Clarke and compete.

Yeah they obviously reached, I don't think anyone argues otherwise. It's just weird seeing, say MO Bamba struggle and asking why an even less quality prospect is struggling.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do you have to be so hyperbolic in your statements? Samanic is not "complete trash" as a shooter or close to it. Ben Simmons is complete trash... Luka has, above all, a willingness to shoot; he has good form and a quick, high release point from the games I've watched. Obviously he's not going to be Curry but there's certainly room for improvement there. What catches the eye about Luka is how he handles the ball, which is much closer to a guard than a big. It's part of what makes KD so special (who, by the way, Luka models his game after): guards are too small to effectively guard his shot (someone post that Patty/Forbes on KD pics please), and bigs are too slow to keep up with his moves and handles. He's very far away from that picture but I'd say the ceiling is high.
    Ok, excise the hyperbole, but it matches that of the assessments to those with whom Luka is being compared. Regardless, it's KD's combo of elite shooting, dribbling, and decision-making that make him a superstar. Luka has shown none of those things. His handles, without a shot, are pretty worthless. But maybe he'll become an elite shooter even though he's never shown he can be. I guess we'll see

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Samanic was a bit of a reach at 19.

But it was more than made up for by getting Keldon Johnson at 29.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I seriously doubt that Luka is better than Lyles right now.
    He needs to stay on the vine. He’s not going to save us.
    He’d need to be completely dominating the G league to be ready for the call.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This.

My only issue with Johnson is his three point shot and turnover rate. Both can be fixed and then he’ll be ready.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yup Keldon at 29 was a steal, likewise Queen Mary at 49th is solid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, excise the hyperbole, but it matches that of the assessments to those with whom Luka is being compared. Regardless, it's KD's combo of elite shooting, dribbling, and decision-making that make him a superstar. Luka has shown none of those things. His handles, without a shot, are pretty worthless. But maybe he'll become an elite shooter even though he's never shown he can be. I guess we'll see
    So... He's a project? He's obviously a year away and will probably spend two seasons in Austin, I wasn't arguing that. I just don't see why you'd call him trash when he's obviously on the development curve and has shown flashes of what he could do. Of course he's 99% not going to reach KD levels of handles/shooting/IQ but you'd be foolish to expect that of a 19th pick. We'd be lucky to have him develop into a rotation player, tbh, but I'm excited for him and he's got the opportunity to exceed those expectations if he puts it all together.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Samanic is a great project. He's talented, he has a great combination of technical and physical skills, he understands the game and has instincts. He's just young and inexperienced.

He is NOT a big. PATFO was wrong with Bertans, pretending he was a PF when he is a SF. I hope they understand Samanic is a forward, he's not a Center at all. Tall players need more time to mature his game because they stopped growing and building his body later than the rest.

Be patient, trust Samanic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samanic is a great project. ...
    At a time when the Spurs very much need a player, not a project.

Gay... Lyles... Carroll... the Spurs need another player.

He is NOT a big. ...
    He's a modern big. There's a trend away from the heavyweights, both because of changes in how the rules are enforced, and because the heavyweights are usually poor at perimeter defense, and poor in transition, not speedy enough.

Samanic is not a center, as you say. But he could play either forward, in the modern game. Pascal Siakam might be seen as a model for power forwards now - slender, agile, nimble - and Samanic's listed weight is within a couple pounds of Siakam's.

Samanic does not need more bulk, altho he might need more of the toughness that comes with maturity.

From the low block, Samanic has a remarkably quick spin move to his right, a move which is genuinely reminiscent of Siakam. No joke. You can see an example of it on the youtube highlights of the recent game against Rio Grande Valley, the last play of the highlights.

He also has a respectably quick spin move to his left, and he can drive from it.

He jumps well enough to dunk easily. He can drive baseline and do a reverse one-handed dunk.

He could probably play some for San Antonio now, without embarrassing either himself or the Spurs. He assuredly would not be the embarrassment that Brent Forms is.

But the Spurs powers-that-be have decreed he must spend the whole season in Austin, with no hope of parole. Too bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not if you are good.
    You needed time to develop as a poster

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m always surprised at the expectation people have with a 19th pick of the draft. Teams spend years drafting in the top10 and still don’t get talent. If Samanic was drafted with the 5th pick, yes we could complain but 19th pick, really?
    Truth nuke

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why all the hate on Luka is crazy it’s not his fault Poop won’t bring him or that RC drafted him. To be honest we got a A + for last years draft I think all 3 guys Will grade out very well when we look back at that draft. We all new Luka was a reach but I like the pick and I think he is going to be a very good player for us for years to come.

You know maybe RC had a plan draft this young kid who will need two years to grow and will feel that position with signing Morris - If that had happen we would not even be talking about Luka TBH.

Thread Information