Page 16 of 62 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs never forgave him for falling down and letting TMac beat them with 13 in 30 seconds or whatever it was.
    Don’t think it was that. His time on the ring team wasn’t his first stint with SA. He was cut the first time for iness and lack of effort.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that Dirk's one-legged fadeaway I see?
    That would be such a good move for Luka to develop... Also check the range on that 3pt shot. For Luka to succeed, he needs to be as good of a shooter as he can be, at all levels. That'll be the first door to open that will unlock the rest of his game at the NBA level, as a secondary penetrator/scorer and maybe even playmaker someday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep Luka needs to let it fly and not worry about that old senile drunk.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep Luka needs to let it fly and not worry about that old senile drunk.
    It's okay, he never listened to you anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be such a good move for Luka to develop... Also check the range on that 3pt shot. For Luka to succeed, he needs to be as good of a shooter as he can be, at all levels. That'll be the first door to open that will unlock the rest of his game at the NBA level, as a secondary penetrator/scorer and maybe even playmaker someday.
    Yep. The more tools in his arsenal, the better. His go-to moves when penetrating appear to be the spin move and going behind the back with his dribble to create space. Remains to be seen if he can be consistently successful doing that with the varsity squad, but becoming a better shooter will certainly open things up for him, like you said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For comparison:

Dirk came to the NBA as a 20 year old. Essentially, Luka's second year would be Dirk's rookie year.

Dirk averaged 8 points, 3 rebounds, and 1 assist during his rookie year (47 total games).

Let's see if Luka can match that this coming season.

Praying someone is telling Luka to try more mid range shots. Most of all he did was 3's and drives during his rookie year.
    I called it right here back in September. Luka's been listening to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's okay, he never listened to you anyway.
    Good one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Squint your eyes and you'll see Luka Samanic
    Keep watching the tape, Luka.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well it helped that Dirk was 7'0 with 7'4 wingspan to hit that fade away.
    Luka - 6'11 with and 6'10 wingspan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Luka is hitting it against that elite compe ion I posted earlier in this thread, he should be fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, Jamal Murray is making all sorts of magic happen with his short wing span. I think Luka will be okay.

If you have a shorter wingspan, isn't your release quicker since you don't have to pull back as much?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Luka getting some practice in against really good compe ion
    Forgive me but who's the good comp?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By the way, Dirk's wingspan is not listed as 7'4" anywhere (not that I can find). If you google it-- 7'4" was listed as Durant's wingspan, not Dirk's.

Edit:

I think I found it

86" = 7' 2"

Samanic's wingspan is 6' 10.5"

2.5" difference from Luka
    Last edited by Dejounte; 12-03-2020 at 07:13 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan = 6'10'' barefoot with a 7'5'' wingspan.

Nowitzki = 7'0'' barefoot with a 7'2'' wingspan.

Most white players don't have long wingspans relative to height, but most African players do.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By the way, Dirk's wingspan is not listed as 7'4" anywhere (not that I can find). If you google it-- 7'4" was listed as Durant's wingspan, not Dirk's.

Edit:

I think I found it

86" = 7' 2"

Samanic's wingspan is 6' 10.5"

2.5" difference from Luka
    2 1/2 or 3 1/2. Somewhere around there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can just as easily argue that a somewhat shorter wingspan makes it easier and fractionally faster to dribble the ball because of standard physics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can just as easily argue that a somewhat shorter wingspan makes it easier and fractionally faster to dribble the ball because of standard physics.
    Not sure I'm following, but I'm also not saying you're wrong. Just seems to me shorter arms means the ball actually has to bounce higher eacher time, which would in theory slow down the time between each dribble, therefore making the physics better for someone with linger arms.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been watching a lot of film on Samanic and trying to compare him to previous Spur PF's and SFs in my memory. Of course every player is different with different physiques and skills, so trying to distill Spur big men all the way back to 1976 is hard and inevitably I will overlook some players. Kenon comes to mind as a speedy SF with great ball handling skills but he didn't have Samanic's height. Davis Bertans had the height and great 3pt shooting but even as he worked on developing moves to the basket, he reminded me of the Red Rocket and possibly giraffes driving to the basket. A lumbering animal as an accident in progress. But other posters will make their own comparisons.

I will stick to a few current players that everyone knows for my comparisons. First of course is Tim Duncan, the PF nonpariel. This is not to uprate a untested rookie against an all-time great, but to show what they have in common and where the rookie shows some similarities. It's not a bad thing to model your skills after all time greats who are willing and able to coach you.

First, ball handling and moves. Duncan could make a spin move away from a defender's weight on a shoulder. I think Samanic is faster in that move at this age than Duncan was and like Duncan, also has a great following move to the basket with either hand or as a dunk. I suspect that Duncan has been working with him as well as Aldrich who also has a spin move.

Every player is different with unique physiques and ball handling skills of course, but Samanic has some unusual ball handling ability, great hands in traffic, due in part to great court awareness. If he gets a quick pass from a teammate while in a scrum under the basket, he doesn't fumble the ball and goes up for the quick short dunk or layup. What past Spur forwards have had that ability?

He makes some unusual moves for a big man (eg, stretch in off of a defended drive for a soft shot off the boards a la Tony P) and a willingness to go into traffic. He is fearless going in against multiple defenders in the paint and that is the result of his past orientation against players of lesser stature, especially if he gets switched onto a guard defender at the top of the perimeter arc. He has the moves and ballhandling to get past that first defender and has only a couple of steps to the basket.

Saminic hasn't shown much in short jumpers because if he is inside the perimeter, he prefers to drive for the shorter shot under control. Duncan, on the other hand, came into the league with a beautiful short shot off the backboard. People scoffed, but this old style shot has been proven to be statistically better that the non-banked shot. Somewhere in his career he lost confidence in the short shot off the board and took fewer and fewer. Neither is distinguished by a 3pt shot in the skill set. However, Saminic has a 3pt shot, somewhat like a one-handed push shot of the old days, but he can still be a 3pt threat because he has lots of range and can develop a better shot if practiced and demanded of him.

He has so much upside potential that I would put him ahead of all the youngsters in a conparison of high ceilings. I'd like to see Pop work him in as a SF rather than a PF. He has the speed and height to be outstanding at that position. If you bulk him up to compete against PFs he will lose some of his speed and possibly handling. He may transition to that PF position with age, but right now take advantage of his speed and superiour height at the SF. Move Rudy to PF (it's time Rudy)behind Aldrich and make Lyles at starting SF work to keep Samanic and Keldon on the bench. I think the future is Samanic starting with Keldon the 6th man.

This is longer than I usually post but I would like some good arguments from ST posters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure I'm following, but I'm also not saying you're wrong. Just seems to me shorter arms means the ball actually has to bounce higher eacher time, which would in theory slow down the time between each dribble, therefore making the physics better for someone with linger arms.
    ����

thanks for not flaming me, but let me give you an example from out current players. I said from the first time he took the floor that our new wonder at PG (Murray) was a target for lots of steals by good defenders and miscues when dribbling into the lane BECAUSE he dribbled as high as his shoulders. That fraction of a second more while the ball is in the air both downward and upward makes a good defending guard lick his chops. The defender can time it better, slap at the ball, and/or and brush THROUGH the dribble and the offensive players body to make the steal. He doesn't so much pick the ball off as use his entire body, hands and arms to take the ball in the opposite direction. When he has control he is already two steps ahead of the offensive player on the way down the court for a uncontested layup or a pass to the oppposite wing for a fast break.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray has a high dribble because he can't dribble well, not because of his wingspan. He has good length for his height, but he's not a freak. Quite a number of good or decent dribblers have that same or a greater difference. One of M3 Kawhi's biggest highlights was him stealing the ball from Curry, dribbling through traffic and scoring. I'm not saying that there isn't something to high dribbles being easier to steal the ball, but that's a height and technique thing more than it's a thing with wingspan.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been watching a lot of film on Samanic and trying to compare him to previous Spur PF's and SFs in my memory. Of course every player is different with different physiques and skills, so trying to distill Spur big men all the way back to 1976 is hard and inevitably I will overlook some players. Kenon comes to mind as a speedy SF with great ball handling skills but he didn't have Samanic's height. Davis Bertans had the height and great 3pt shooting but even as he worked on developing moves to the basket, he reminded me of the Red Rocket and possibly giraffes driving to the basket. A lumbering animal as an accident in progress. But other posters will make their own comparisons.

I will stick to a few current players that everyone knows for my comparisons. First of course is Tim Duncan, the PF nonpariel. This is not to uprate a untested rookie against an all-time great, but to show what they have in common and where the rookie shows some similarities. It's not a bad thing to model your skills after all time greats who are willing and able to coach you.

First, ball handling and moves. Duncan could make a spin move away from a defender's weight on a shoulder. I think Samanic is faster in that move at this age than Duncan was and like Duncan, also has a great following move to the basket with either hand or as a dunk. I suspect that Duncan has been working with him as well as Aldrich who also has a spin move.

Every player is different with unique physiques and ball handling skills of course, but Samanic has some unusual ball handling ability, great hands in traffic, due in part to great court awareness. If he gets a quick pass from a teammate while in a scrum under the basket, he doesn't fumble the ball and goes up for the quick short dunk or layup. What past Spur forwards have had that ability?

He makes some unusual moves for a big man (eg, stretch in off of a defended drive for a soft shot off the boards a la Tony P) and a willingness to go into traffic. He is fearless going in against multiple defenders in the paint and that is the result of his past orientation against players of lesser stature, especially if he gets switched onto a guard defender at the top of the perimeter arc. He has the moves and ballhandling to get past that first defender and has only a couple of steps to the basket.

Saminic hasn't shown much in short jumpers because if he is inside the perimeter, he prefers to drive for the shorter shot under control. Duncan, on the other hand, came into the league with a beautiful short shot off the backboard. People scoffed, but this old style shot has been proven to be statistically better that the non-banked shot. Somewhere in his career he lost confidence in the short shot off the board and took fewer and fewer. Neither is distinguished by a 3pt shot in the skill set. However, Saminic has a 3pt shot, somewhat like a one-handed push shot of the old days, but he can still be a 3pt threat because he has lots of range and can develop a better shot if practiced and demanded of him.

He has so much upside potential that I would put him ahead of all the youngsters in a conparison of high ceilings. I'd like to see Pop work him in as a SF rather than a PF. He has the speed and height to be outstanding at that position. If you bulk him up to compete against PFs he will lose some of his speed and possibly handling. He may transition to that PF position with age, but right now take advantage of his speed and superiour height at the SF. Move Rudy to PF (it's time Rudy)behind Aldrich and make Lyles at starting SF work to keep Samanic and Keldon on the bench. I think the future is Samanic starting with Keldon the 6th man.

This is longer than I usually post but I would like some good arguments from ST posters.
    I think Pop is going to be a mad scientist again and well see so many different groups playing together which because of depth I am Ok with as it will help long term. After this season if we loose LMA/Derozz/Rudy/Mills will see:

Starting:
    White
    Murray
    Keldon
    Luka
    Poode

Second Unit:

Trey
    Walker
    Vassell
    Lyles
    Eubanks

I also think in next draft will be able to get a starting player which might be PG/SF/PF/C

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Back home I don't think we will start out the season with trading LMA and DDR. Hard to trade away two proven stars at once who can both score. I think the new strategy of fast BB will not play to their strengths, but who will we get in return from GMs who know our difficulty in playing them with all our dwarfs? I think Pop will keep them both and just subs ute a lot with different lineups to keep the ball moving on offense and with better defenders. YOu won't be able to keep track of the lineups without a program or roster sheet. At some point the computers will spit out an analysis of the best lineups, but maybe not in time to make a run for the playoffs. I simply don't see Murray as anyone's starting PG in the future.

Personally I think that using our youngsters is OK if we get another shot at a lottery pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the line up is based on if our one year contract tract players don’t get picked up after this season which should be 4 players of which 2 are starters LMA and DEROZZ. As far as the line up I think it’s all going to be based on match ups, injuries, performance, as far as who starts and who ends up closing out the end of games.

I am with you as far as getting a good draft pick my God this upcoming draft class is loaded still crossing my fingers we can pull of a trade that might get us a first or second round pick. As far as who we draft I am hoping that this season will answer some of our questions we have.

1. Can White stay healthy - Feet
    2. Can Murray show necessary improvements and except new role
    3. Can Walker show improvements and stay healthy - Knee
    4. Can Luka get playing time and be engaged and live up to his potential
    5. Can Poodle average more then 5pts a game.

Based on the above questions I think will have a impact on who we draft and what free agents we might go after 2021 season.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka will get some playing time this season because of the compacted season and back to backs. Some are not realizing that because of the compacted compressed season Pop will sit the vets more to keep them fresh. So Luka, Eubanks and Vassell will get some playing time this season which will help them be ready for significant playing time the following season when DDR, LMA and Rudy are no longer on the team. There's a good chance that you see some of these lineups every now and then this season:

DJM - T. Jones or QW
    White - Walker
    Keldon - Vassell
    Lyles - Luka
    Jakob - Eubanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka will get some playing time this season because of the compacted season and back to backs. Some are not realizing that because of the compacted compressed season Pop will sit the vets more to keep them fresh. So Luka, Eubanks and Vassell will get some playing time this season which will help them be ready for significant playing time the following season when DDR, LMA and Rudy are no longer on the team. There's a good chance that you see some of these lineups every now and then this season:

DJM - T. Jones or QW
    White - Walker
    Keldon - Vassell
    Lyles - Luka
    Jakob - Eubanks
    Ah yeah, Pop resting players for the playoffs on a lottery team. I can totally see the senile old man do that

Thread Information