Page 18 of 62 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not too sure that's gonna happen, and if it did, I don't know how much good it'd be to Sammich. Don't get me wrong, he's raw as , but his problems are much less on the basketball side of things, and more on the mental road - his drive, motor, passion and on-court demeanor all can use a lot of work. Demoting him (even if it isn't a demotion, it'll look like one after thinking he'd be playing with the "grown up" team) simply to have him dominate G-L compe ion isn't, IMO, as valuable as playing him maybe 5-10m a night with the Spurs in garbage time or 3rd quarter, but having him build chemistry with his teammates, be there at every practice, and overall just work on the go on other things, like most players do during the season.

Play him 10-15 as bench PF, and maybe throw him a starting bone about 20 games in, see how he fares against real compe ion. It's also a humbling experience - at some point, you have to "hit the wall" and experience being the least talented player on the court, learn how to role-play, work as a cog in the machine. Luka ain't learning that by posting up G-Leaguers and having an offense catered to him, tbh.
    i'd prefer to see samanic on the spurs roster rather than in austin but from what i'm seeing of how he has been used in these two preseason games, that leads me to believe that he is going to be getting his reps in austin.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not too sure that's gonna happen, and if it did, I don't know how much good it'd be to Sammich. Don't get me wrong, he's raw as , but his problems are much less on the basketball side of things, and more on the mental road - his drive, motor, passion and on-court demeanor all can use a lot of work. Demoting him (even if it isn't a demotion, it'll look like one after thinking he'd be playing with the "grown up" team) simply to have him dominate G-L compe ion isn't, IMO, as valuable as playing him maybe 5-10m a night with the Spurs in garbage time or 3rd quarter, but having him build chemistry with his teammates, be there at every practice, and overall just work on the go on other things, like most players do during the season.

Play him 10-15 as bench PF, and maybe throw him a starting bone about 20 games in, see how he fares against real compe ion. It's also a humbling experience - at some point, you have to "hit the wall" and experience being the least talented player on the court, learn how to role-play, work as a cog in the machine. Luka ain't learning that by posting up G-Leaguers and having an offense catered to him, tbh.
    This + 100

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really liked that dunk he threw down against the Rockets. It was a impressive. He looked like he was another player out there!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see what you did there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'd prefer to see samanic on the spurs roster rather than in austin but from what i'm seeing of how he has been used in these two preseason games, that leads me to believe that he is going to be getting his reps in austin.
    He was ruled out of yesterday's and tomorrow's game. That said, I found it disconcerting how he was actually played in the game against OKC. Only late game, garbage time minutes against a team without an all star playing is most definitely not trying to determine his abilities against top end compe ion. So I acknowledge that's problematic if you are hopeful of a Samanic explosion this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

G-Leaguers? Looks like he's posting up local players that aren't either tall or fast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    G-Leaguers? Looks like he's posting up local players that aren't either tall or fast.
    Tbh, I don't want him posting anybody up as a modern-NBA stretch 4...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see that. I also disliked how Pop handled his rotation of Luka, but tbh, it's been a constant last season and looks like it'll be a problem this season as well (rotations, I mean), so I wouldn't single it out on Samanic. And the reality is, you can't keep prospects playing against lower level compe ion indefinitely and expect them to improve to the level of superior compe ion just on sheer domination. Luka had a quite productive G-League season (I should know, I watched a lot of the games), has made strides in his game and body, and is now lacking in several aspects which IMO just can't be developed down in Austin the same way.

So basically, yes, on a vacuum, having Samanic spend a season in Austin would be more productive to him than 5mpg of Spurs garbage time - but I don't think either option is truly the solution to Samanic's problems. Also, having said all this, is the Austin season even confirmed at this point? I saw the Spurs signed-then-waived a couple players, hinting that it'd be happening, but no official word so far from what I've heard. Might not even "be" an Austin to send Luka to, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see that. I also disliked how Pop handled his rotation of Luka, but tbh, it's been a constant last season and looks like it'll be a problem this season as well (rotations, I mean), so I wouldn't single it out on Samanic. And the reality is, you can't keep prospects playing against lower level compe ion indefinitely and expect them to improve to the level of superior compe ion just on sheer domination. Luka had a quite productive G-League season (I should know, I watched a lot of the games), has made strides in his game and body, and is now lacking in several aspects which IMO just can't be developed down in Austin the same way.

So basically, yes, on a vacuum, having Samanic spend a season in Austin would be more productive to him than 5mpg of Spurs garbage time - but I don't think either option is truly the solution to Samanic's problems. Also, having said all this, is the Austin season even confirmed at this point? I saw the Spurs signed-then-waived a couple players, hinting that it'd be happening, but no official word so far from what I've heard. Might not even "be" an Austin to send Luka to, tbh.
    yeah, i don't know what's up with the g-league. one problem is going to be that teams will probably not be all that keen on having players shuffle back and forth while Covid is still as widespread as it is now. that is, i don't think we'll be seeing a player spend one day here and the next day there. it would just be too problematic. this may really hamper the effectiveness of the g-league, if they do play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah, i don't know what's up with the g-league. one problem is going to be that teams will probably not be all that keen on having players shuffle back and forth while Covid is still as widespread as it is now. that is, i don't think we'll be seeing a player spend one day here and the next day there. it would just be too problematic. this may really hamper the effectiveness of the g-league, if they do play.
    That is EXACTLY the issue I have with sending players to the GL this season, and why I ultimately don't think it'd be worth it for Luka. On a normal year, G-L asignees could be traveling back and forth, playing for one team or the other depending on injuries and roster composition (and if individual players are sitting out due to COVID, this becomes that much more important), and just getting "the best of both worlds". But this season, the Austin and SA Spurs will likely have training in two entirely different places, won't be getting called up/down nearly as often, if at all, and Luka would just be alienated from the team - something that, as a foreigner rookie who by all accounts seems to be "on the outside looking in" as far as the team goes, definitely doesn't need.

I'd rather he stay on the Spurs, and play low minutes whilst waiting for a chance. Maybe Lyles catches the virus, maybe Rudy falls off (or is traded at the deadline! Considering he's looking like the least lethargic of our vets sans Patty, it's a real possibility), these are all scenarios where Luka could get an increased role. I think the question should be, would Pop play him in that scenario over, say, DeMar or even Keldon at PF? And given his rotational role in the first game (I know, 1st preseason game, I know), it's not a certain thing to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka got food poisoning and is out of tonight's game in addition to the last game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Use the NBA season as the G-League season. We're not gonna win a lot of games anyway

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Use the NBA season as the G-League season. We're not gonna win a lot of games anyway
    I'm not a believer in him at all. But if they have any intention of seeing if he's worth a he needs to be playing with the big club.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m with Luka.....he’s a kid still. He’ll be fine!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://news4sanantonio.com/amp/spor...mpression=true

Very revealing interview by Luka. Looks like he's aware of his own weaknesses, which is good.

I've personally lost hope in him, but I hope he dominates Gleague. This might be his last chance to prove he belongs in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://news4sanantonio.com/amp/spor...mpression=true

Very revealing interview by Luka. Looks like he's aware of his own weaknesses, which is good.

I've personally lost hope in him, but I hope he dominates Gleague. This might be his last chance to prove he belongs in the NBA.
    He was always going to be a two year project.

Do you pull cookies out of the oven after 3-4 minutes because you want them to be done, and then express disappointment when they’re not?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Do you pull cookies out of the oven after 3-4 minutes because you want them to be done, and then express disappointment when they’re not?

I get that, but we're already at the end of the two year project. He needs to show something sooner than later or it's the end. If he doesn't show anything by the end of this season, what makes you think he'll suddenly get minutes next year? It's a downward slope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get that, but we're already at the end of the two year project. He needs to show something sooner than later or it's the end. If he doesn't show anything by the end of this season, what makes you think he'll suddenly get minutes next year? It's a downward slope.
    Like the process of development has a rigid timeline.

It takes as long as it takes. Some take longer , some don't.
    As he stands, he's shown promise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ??? This is his second season. The end of the two year project will essentially be next training camp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like the process of development has a rigid timeline.

It takes as long as it takes. Some take longer , some don't.
    As he stands, he's shown promise.
    after what i've seen of christian wood this year, i'm all in on late bloomers.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually like to eat the cookie dough before I put them in the oven and am usually pretty impressed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Samanic shows he has a lot of skills. It's the confidence issue and maybe getting stronger that's keeping him from attacking strong. I will say the same for Lonnie, lack of confidence.
    As much as I love Pop, these kids are just too scared to make mistakes imo. And while Pop said he would let them the young core loose because they didn't get to the playoff, he keeps going back to the veterans, which is slowing down the tempo, letting other teams outmuscle the Spurs.

I think it's more important to develop our young core right now, than winning games. It's a bonus if we win a game here and there, but let's face it, I don't think they will pass the 1st round if they ever make it to the playoffs. So developing White, DJ, Keldon, Vassell, Samanic, Lonnie, Poeltl (shooting) and hope to get a solid 20/10 big in the FA and go from there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Samanic shows he has a lot of skills. It's the confidence issue and maybe getting stronger that's keeping him from attacking strong. I will say the same for Lonnie, lack of confidence.
    As much as I love Pop, these kids are just too scared to make mistakes imo. And while Pop said he would let them the young core loose because they didn't get to the playoff, he keeps going back to the veterans, which is slowing down the tempo, letting other teams outmuscle the Spurs.

I think it's more important to develop our young core right now, than winning games. It's a bonus if we win a game here and there, but let's face it, I don't think they will pass the 1st round if they ever make it to the playoffs. So developing White, DJ, Keldon, Vassell, Samanic, Lonnie, Poeltl (shooting) and hope to get a solid 20/10 big in the FA and go from there.
    This league is tough........if you can survive pop, you can survive this league! He waiting for them to say it pop I got this then show him ( shut his mouth ) until then let the cookies bake!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popovich couldn't even get Leonard to be on board with the way he runs this team. What chance do a Walker and a Samanic have?

Popovich has more of an imprint on the young players than any other coach out there.
    I want to see what Walker, Samanic, Vassell can do without that rather large shadow looming. Hammond would be a 180 change in management if that happens in 2022.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

yes

Thread Information