Page 29 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a 4, he shouldn't play C or SF at all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the other Luka is actually very good in defense this year. Way better than anyone on his team.
    His first 2 years he was ...should he have been put in the G-league those 2 years?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the big league who does Luka guard?
    Zion, AD, Giannis, Sabonis, Julius Randall, Siakim.
    Hmmm
    Maybe Spurs would mix matchups for some of these dudes cause i am not seeing Luka guarding these dudes without some duress
    That's a very poor standard to decide if someone should play in the league...There has been MANY bad defenders in the league who are great players

Spurs love forever RobinsontoDuncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I can do is shake my head at some of the takes on this page

its Either very disingenuous or naive to compare Luka to guys like Murray, White, Keldon,or even Lonnie. All those guys brought different translatable skills that they cultivated in the G-League, proved to be effect in practice or in actual NBA game time.

Keldon proved in the g league and nba bubble that he is a very good finisher at the rim and a great energy guy, White proved he is a really good defender and can run an offense in both the summer league, g league, and nba game time, Murray proved he was a good defender and energy guy in the g league, practice, and limited nba minutes. All those guys while not being the greatest 3 point shooters proved they could do things at the nba level before being given real minutes.

luka has to do that also. The things he is showing in the g league like post finishing and moves I feel he will not be that good at doing at the nba level. his shooting % while solid isn’t the greatest. Compare his to Keldon in the g league. Lol

i hope I’m wrong and I’m rooting for him to be good
    I find your point very confusing. On one hand you acknowledge that the skills other Spurs players demonstrated in the G League have mostly translated to the NBA, which is true. For reference, I would recommend that every poster in this thread should go watch highlights of Murray, White, Walker, Johnson in the G League, and you will find that all of them played roughly the same game as they do in the NBA. Of that cohort, I would say that Murray lacked the most offensive polish and iden y and has had to evolve his game the most, but he’s still the same guy at that lower level, crashing boards, defensive intensity, quick cuts to the rim (touch issues with finishing).

So, acknowledging all of this, why would Luka’s game not also translate? People forget that Luka has a 38” vertical and was top of his draft class in athletic measurements on a whole bunch of tests. The man is also going to get stronger and continue rounding out his game. That’s just what the Spurs do with their young players. Additionally, for those of you who are just now watching Luka play for the first time, I would recommend you go back and find some of the highlights of his NBA game film (the Jazz bubble game, or his one game with a little more run this year), and guess what — his game translates. Same spin move, same smooth form on his 3 (he actually made several of them in the NBA bubble), same ability to get to the rim with his handles through traffic and run the break.

This is Luka’s game. Yes, he will need to continue improving to be able to have 20 and 10 games at the NBA level. That’s obvious. But, no, he doesn’t have to reinvent himself at the next level because...reasons?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s all mental with him. Once he realizes he belongs, he’ll be good. Can see the Luka-Portle front court being a fixture for some time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the big league who does Luka guard?
    Zion, AD, Giannis, Sabonis, Julius Randall, Siakim.
    Hmmm
    Maybe Spurs would mix matchups for some of these dudes cause i am not seeing Luka guarding these dudes without some duress
    Who in the league guards these guys without some duress?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody guards 25. You just help off that, automatically. You might turn and look at a 30% 3 baller. 35 is league average, and the equivalent of shooting 52.5% on twos.
    Exactly. 30% is the bare minimum, which is a 45% shooter from two. That’s not good, but it will at least draw some coverage. It’s also hard to adjust for open threes vs. contested, so league average is probably higher than 35% on open threes. Need to be knocking those down at above 35% as you said to draw coverage, otherwise people will drop off and protect the lane. Remember league average is 67% close to the rim and about 40% on other twos.

The position the production is coming from is also key, as well as pairings. If you’re out there with Poeltl (as great as he’s been), you better have some range.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the other Luka is actually very good in defense this year. Way better than anyone on his team.
    haha

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matt Bonner was the same 6’10 with alligator arms and was the starting C for how many years? Luka is much more mobile and athletic, has better skills. I know Bonner had Timmy, but I think they can hide Luka with long great help defenders. To play him strictly stretch 4 is not taking advantage of his great post footwork. The guy has wicked spin. He is a backup C, for now, who can play stretch.
    Bonner was listed as the starting C, but the reality is, once David went off into retirement, Tim was the C until he retired.

The reality is, on this team, the C is in the paint, and the defensive QB. He has to be aware, call switches, and protect the rim. Luka isn’t ready for that, even part time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner was listed as the starting C, but the reality is, once David went off into retirement, Tim was the C until he retired.

The reality is, on this team, the C is in the paint, and the defensive QB. He has to be aware, call switches, and protect the rim. Luka isn’t ready for that, even part time.
    I disagree, Oberto, Splitter, Nesterovic, etc looked Centers to me. Only playing with Blair, stretch 5 Bonner, and with Aldridge, Timmy played the C position.

But my point is, I think to play Luka strictly stretch 4 does not do justice to Luka’s great footwork down low. Luka plays better when he is posting, has his back to the basket. I know with the 2nd unit he will not even touch the ball with Mills and Rudy chucking, which is unfortunate because Luka and Tre are playing so well right now, honing their skills, getting stronger and building confidence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree, Oberto, Splitter, Nesterovic, etc looked Centers to me. Only playing with Blair, stretch 5 Bonner, and with Aldridge, Timmy played the C position.

But my point is, I think to play Luka strictly stretch 4 does not do justice to Luka’s great footwork down low. Luka plays better when he is posting, has his back to the basket. I know with the 2nd unit he will not even touch the ball with Mills and Rudy chucking, which is unfortunate because Luka and Tre are playing so well right now, honing their skills, getting stronger and building confidence.
    You can post up a GUARD. Where he gets his offense has little to do with his position. No one posts up more than DeMar. Is he our center?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can post up a GUARD. Where he gets his offense has little to do with his position. No one posts up more than DeMar. Is he our center?
    I hope Pop does that and not make Luka one-dimensional stretch. Nowadays Pop is letting players “play,” more their game, but there are still times he’s back to his stubborn self and have Patty close where a defensive player should be. Still I don’t remember any Spur who didn’t come out better. I just hope that Luka would assert more. Sometimes it pays off to “defy” Pop, i.e. Manu, DJ’s “I-got-this-Pop.” But bottomline, they worked hard every time, which I can’t say with Luka lackluster at ude sometimes. I’m rooting for Luka. I think if he pans out, he’s the modern big that Spurs need.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Duncan almost exclusively guarded centers from basically 30 on, starting during the '06 WCSF (Mavericks). But they still primarily started him next to another center, one with enough mobility (namely Oberto and Splitter) to guard the power forwards of their respective eras.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think your talking about my post and I was saying to him that making that high of a percentage on that high of shots is unrealistic. Most NBA bigs arnt shooting it that much and most of our team is not shooting at that percentage. I listed our starters to say that him being the best shooter of them is unrealistic.
    I'm not talking just about you. Lol. It’s multiple folks post I addressed with mine.

I don’t know if it’s unrealistic or not if Luka can hit a good amount attempted from 3 at league average %. but I think his best way of actually getting NBA minutes from what he is already showed skill wise is being able to knock down the 3 at a good percentage because his other talents I feel aren’t really translatable in the NBA.

of course he can get better and unlock some other talents are sharpen the ones he has shown in the G League but as of now in my opinion his best bet is his shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have trouble seeing that, tbh. Durant had strong ball-handling skills and was able to change direction and get his shot off in multiple ways. I haven't seen Luka, who is much more stiff in posture and ability, be able to do that. Durant has always clearly been a 3, while it's a push to suggest our guy is that position.

EXACTLY!!!

Luka is a 4 and small ball 5 because he doesn’t have an advanced enough ball handling, finishing, or shooting skill. Not too mention as athletic as he is I don’t think he matches up in that department with most wing players. His athletic ability is really good as a 4 and 5 but average as a 3.

to maximize his positives (just like Bertans) and hide his weaknesses he should play the 4 or 5. Consequently like he has been doing in the G-League all along. Lmao

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His 3 pointer and his ability to break down his man for a fast dunk is what he needs to focus on I also think he can be a really good rim running type of player if he hustles.

As far as Bonner man I only remember him always guarding Shaq year after year and getting destroyed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His 3 pointer and his ability to break down his man for a fast dunk is what he needs to focus on I also think he can be a really good rim running type of player if he hustles.

As far as Bonner man I only remember him always guarding Shaq year after year and getting destroyed.
    Shaq moved to Miami onward 2005. Matt started playing for the Spurs 2006 and did not start until after 2010 when Oberto slowed down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I find your point very confusing. On one hand you acknowledge that the skills other Spurs players demonstrated in the G League have mostly translated to the NBA, which is true. For reference, I would recommend that every poster in this thread should go watch highlights of Murray, White, Walker, Johnson in the G League, and you will find that all of them played roughly the same game as they do in the NBA. Of that cohort, I would say that Murray lacked the most offensive polish and iden y and has had to evolve his game the most, but he’s still the same guy at that lower level, crashing boards, defensive intensity, quick cuts to the rim (touch issues with finishing).

So, acknowledging all of this, why would Luka’s game not also translate? People forget that Luka has a 38” vertical and was top of his draft class in athletic measurements on a whole bunch of tests. The man is also going to get stronger and continue rounding out his game. That’s just what the Spurs do with their young players. Additionally, for those of you who are just now watching Luka play for the first time, I would recommend you go back and find some of the highlights of his NBA game film (the Jazz bubble game, or his one game with a little more run this year), and guess what — his game translates. Same spin move, same smooth form on his 3 (he actually made several of them in the NBA bubble), same ability to get to the rim with his handles through traffic and run the break.

This is Luka’s game. Yes, he will need to continue improving to be able to have 20 and 10 games at the NBA level. That’s obvious. But, no, he doesn’t have to reinvent himself at the next level because...reasons?
    LMAO!!!!!

your take and using the Utah Jazz game where Luka played well against back up guys validated my argument. He hit four 3 pointers and got to the hoop on a defender closing out on him hard because he knocked down 3 three point shots before hand. He got fouled (which is great) because he picked up his dribble too soon and tried to attempt a harder lay up than what he could’ve had. He also got fouled and missed a layup at the rim off a nice dish to set him up for an easy layup.

he didn’t successfully post anyone up for points in that Utah game. He hit open 3 point shots and took advantage of folks aggressively closing on him shooting. He has to hit the 3 at a decent level to become a NBA player that gets minutes.

Those other guys I mentioned showed what they could do in the g league that can be translated to the NBA. Luka posting players up and having the offense ran through him (at what he has showed so far) isn’t something that can be translated on a winning team. Now maybe his post game or handles get better but in order to get minutes in the NBA for most teams, you have to have some type of skill that your good at or be drafted super high by a team. Lmao

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FNESd2p-4Ew

the Utah game.
    Last edited by D-Robinson 50 fan; 02-21-2021 at 02:36 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nit picking every decision a 20 year old made in one of his first real NBA games- high level and hard hitting analysis here.

Look for the flashes. Look for the physical tools and a trajectory of development. Sitting around and picking apart every piece of body language, perceived "motor" or effort problems to confirm the conclusions you already have about a developing player is pathetic.

He's an exciting prospect who has shown enough in the way of flashes at all 3 levels of scoring, back to the basket, face up, 3 point- that I do think he factors into the NBA plans going forward. He doesn't have to be perfect or make every right decision for that to be true. If you don't think Luka has shown at least some ability to post up and move his feet well I'm not going to argue with hot air.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nit picking every decision a 20 year old made in one of his first real NBA games- high level and hard hitting analysis here.

Look for the flashes. Look for the physical tools and a trajectory of development. Sitting around and picking apart every piece of body language, perceived "motor" or effort problems to confirm the conclusions you already have about a developing player is pathetic.

He's an exciting prospect who has shown enough in the way of flashes at all 3 levels of scoring, back to the basket, face up, 3 point- that I do think he factors into the NBA plans going forward. He doesn't have to be perfect or make every right decision for that to be true. If you don't think Luka has shown at least some ability to post up and move his feet well I'm not going to argue with hot air.
    Agree. To make him stretch 4 will limit his development. Luka is a C who can play stretch 4. I think he will not face dominant bigs against 2nd units. I just want him to be allowed to mix it up and become more versatile, getting stronger, instead of camping in corner 3’s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can’t speak for everyone but I actually liked the Luka draft pick and I’ve consistently shown that in multiple threads.

i will say that I feel a lot of folks on here are looking at his path to getting real NBA minutes consistently very unrealistically. Especially on this team with Pop coaching. Lmao. Maybe if he was drafted by another team with another coach he would’ve been gotten thrown into the deep end of the pool and told to sink or swim.

I’m rooting for the young man and all to get better and become a difference maker for our team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shaq moved to Miami onward 2005. Matt started playing for the Spurs 2006 and did not start until after 2010 when Oberto slowed down.
    Shaq did play for the Suns in the ‘08 playoffs, and was decent that series. But he was long gone from the Lakers. Good job calling people out for making something up.

Bonner wasn’t as bad of a defender as people make him out to be. Was he great? No. Did it look pretty? No. Was he effective? Yes. Advanced stats show the team was fine with him out on the floor on defensive end. He also forced teams to swap certain bigs out of lineups because they couldn’t get out to the line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Likely the end of his g league play. Hopefully, they have a plan for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Likely the end of his g league play. Hopefully, they have a plan for him.
    I didn’t really watch last year. But actually his stat last year was not bad. One can even say it was already dominating. It’s confidence with his game and hopefully he got stronger and better conditioning playing consistent minutes the last 6 games. I’m really hoping they give him consistent minutes and not stun his development. Luka to me has the highest ceiling of all, that if he pans out, Spurs see the playoffs for a very long time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he needed to add muscle and adjust to NBA athletes. In his Euroleage play he surely did not face the same athletes. He was young and the Spurs are one of the best at developing talent. That’s how they make up for lower draft positions.

Thread Information