Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He made some open shots. Other than that, he had no impact. For a supposedly athletic guy, he looked like a ing stiff.

What? lamo did you actually take the time to watch the game? He probably was the 2nd and even at time could have been the best player on the floor alongside with Keldon. Him and Keldon were the reason we weren't blown out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can you say this? He looked good yesterday for being his first NBA game.
    because he most likely didn’t watch the game or any G league games. Lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I have unfurled the Croatian flags at my property. I have turned my sound system's volume up to 100 blasting Croatian pop hits from the 90s to the present day. I am indulging in homemade palačinke and have two bottles of the finest Dalmatian wine to help wash them down. What is the cause for this festive Croatia-themed celebration, you ask?

Luka Samanic just scored sixteen points. After literally not scoring a single point the whole season. It was Samanic's last chance to erase the zero next to his name in the season stat sheet, and not only did he erase it, he OBLITERATED it.

Yeah, he only played in two games (seventen minutes total) prior to this game, so this was his first real chance to get in a rhythm and hit some shots. Still, I didn't expect this raw young dude from Croatia (did I mention he's from Croatia yet?) to do THIS much damage. I was thinking he might score six or eight points. Sixteen points, and three assists, that's beyond my wildest dreams. That's why I'm bopping to Severina right now (Rodjeno moje is becoming my summer anthem for real).

Is there gonna be a summer league this season? Are they gonna call it "Fall League"? How about a Euro Cup of some kind? When's the next time I get to see Samanic play? Because, in this unjust world, you know he won't get any minutes in the playoffs. The Spurs are in the playoffs right?

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    and he's not even a good shooter. his form looks natural enough, but he's only a 30% 3 point shooter in the gleague. wasn't a high% shooter overseas either... usually upper 20's, low-mid 30's

he hit 3-5 yesterday, sure, but he's far from a sniper
    I'm not too concerned with G-League shooting numbers considering everyone there is out to inflate their own numbers and no one really runs plays for each other. Keldon for example missed his first 25 3s in G-League and he's been fine in the NBA where he's getting open looks. I'm more worried about how turnover prone this guy is. After Jeff Ayres, I don't ever want to see another big man with butterfingers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tough I didn't like his D, something I like except his shooting touch is his passing.

He made good passes several times.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't get too worked up by his stats. With a couple of exceptions going for 8 in the west and those games, the final games in the bubble were scrub explosions like every year. These weren't real games and nobody was actually playing like it.

He's a willing shooter and that's good but I still don't love how his shot looks, compared to Bertans who was a real sharpshooter.

Beyond that it's hard to take his result seriously good or bad.

Look at the final games:

Javonte Green scored 23 (only scored double digits, 12, once this year)
    Taylor Horton-Tucker had 14, 4 reb, 3 ast, and 3 steals, all career highs
    Frank Mason III tied for the second highest point total in his career
    Paul Watson had 22 and 6, after totaling 9 points in his career
    Stanley Johnson had 22, 4 reb and 6 assists. 2nd highest career totals for points and assists
    PJ Dozier had 20, 5r and 8a. Career high in points. Last year in the final game he had 12, 11 and 5
    Alize Johnson had 11, 17r and 4a, all career highs.
    Hamidou Diallo had 27 and 11r. Both career highs.
    Amir Coffey had 21, 2 and 4, with career highs in points and assists.
    Terance Mann had 25, 14, and 9. All career highs.

Even Chimezie Metu tied his career high for scoring and set new career highs in rebounds and assists (6 and 4)

Final game of 96-97 had Carl Herrera going for 19 and 14, he would never reach either mark again his last two years in the league.

In 2000-01, Shawnelle Scott for the Spurs started and had his only career double double, 14 and 14 and a career high 29 minutes.

And back in the final game of 2011-12 when Golden State were tanking their ass off to keep their draft pick they had Chis Wright, whoever that is, go for 25 and 8 rebounds, both career highs, the points in a big way. That game also had Jeremy Tyler going for the 2nd highest points total of his career, and Mickell Gladness in his only NBA season getting career highs of 14 and 9.

Final game stats where teams aren't playing for anything are always suspect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was less about the stats than it was him finally showing he cared. He was getting into defensive stance (lowering his back) and it gave me relief. I disagree about his shot, it looks fast and quick which only the best shooters have. I think he can nail it at a high clip.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like him at the top he is so big I can really see him and Keldon doing a lot of alley oops for easy dunks by Keldon.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    because he most likely didn’t watch the game or any G league games. Lmao
    He scored 16 points in what was a glorified g league game. He looked overwhelmed on defense. No physicality, no athleticism. This is your hero?

This dude is a future Mike Muscala

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glad to see you have so much hate for a first year G League player who has to learn a different language and how to play NBA rules basketball. Let me guess you were probably one of the early ones who said White sucks and Keldon sucks before bubble games.

You do know he was drafted him with the understanding that it would take him 3 years before he was developed enough to get meaningful minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heres the difference between people who hate on Samanic and those who dont:

Those who hate are so confident to say the book has closed on Samanic

Those who dont hate are honest enough to say they dont know how he will turn out

And yet, the ones who criticize the latter accuse them for being homers

Ill just leave this here:

Last edited by Dejounte; 08-16-2020 at 12:31 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heres the difference between people who hate on Samanic and those who dont:

Those who hate are so confident to say the book has closed on Samanic

Those who dont hate are honest enough to say they dont know how he will turn out

And yet, the ones who criticize the latter accuse them for being homers

Ill just leave this here:

I've wondered why there is so much hate for Luka. (Full disclosure, I'm not a fan and hated the pick when so much better talent was available.) Just a thought, but perhaps the hate is really misdirected anger at Pop? Many fans are still livid at the horrible return on the Kawhi trade. Many fans are frustrated with Pop's line ups and subs utions, and perceived favoritism shown to certain players. We've seen for years PATFO's favoritism for Euro's over young American players. It might have worked for Parker and Manu twenty years ago, and to a lesser degree Splitter, but what have they shown us lately? Livio? Militunov? So as the frustrations build, fans watch PATFO draft yet another big white Euro over some quality young American players. Thus the hate was born.

I'm a long time Spurs fan. I hope Luka works himself into a solid NBA player. My gut tells me he'll be another failed big white Euro project forced on us by PATFO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do know that your talking about guys being drafted late first round 26th and 28th picks. I would probably guess that maybe only 8% of guys drafted this late stay more then 3 years in the NBA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've wondered why there is so much hate for Luka. (Full disclosure, I'm not a fan and hated the pick when so much better talent was available.) Just a thought, but perhaps the hate is really misdirected anger at Pop? Many fans are still livid at the horrible return on the Kawhi trade. Many fans are frustrated with Pop's line ups and subs utions, and perceived favoritism shown to certain players. We've seen for years PATFO's favoritism for Euro's over young American players. It might have worked for Parker and Manu twenty years ago, and to a lesser degree Splitter, but what have they shown us lately? Livio? Militunov? So as the frustrations build, fans watch PATFO draft yet another big white Euro over some quality young American players. Thus the hate was born.

I'm a long time Spurs fan. I hope Luka works himself into a solid NBA player. My gut tells me he'll be another failed big white Euro project forced on us by PATFO.
    Unfortunately correct. Typical dumb American sentiment. Americans get to be individuals, but "euro's" or internationals period are somehow one size fits all.

He clearly has significantly more upside than the likes of Jean-Charles or Milutinov ever did. It seems a longshot, but if he puts it all together (mentality, 3-point shot, strength), he could be Siakam lite. A four with switch ability and a big wing skillset, who can dust closeouts and post undersized wings/switches, is a mismatch nightmare.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's the youngest guy on the team. Give him time.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do know that your talking about guys being drafted late first round 26th and 28th picks. I would probably guess that maybe only 8% of guys drafted this late stay more then 3 years in the NBA.
    Here's an interesting look at player career stats by draft position (Has average games played. 26th pick had average games played of 248--so about 3 regular seasons. 28th pick had 250 games.). Data is little stale, but still interesting: https://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm
    Last edited by toki9; 08-16-2020 at 07:25 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He scored 16 points in what was a glorified g league game. He looked overwhelmed on defense. No physicality, no athleticism. This is your hero?

This dude is a future Mike Muscala
    It's okay to admit that you didn't watch the game and only looked at the highlights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He seems like a real intriguing player. I'll be the first to admit I didn't understand the pick at 19. But hey, if that means you get "your guy" then go ahead. He has A LOT of room to grow, but at least he showed that there is at least a pulse. Just like any player, actual NBA minutes are only going to help. I hope he's in the rotation next year. DJ/White/Lonnie/KJ/Luka/Lottery pick . This team's future is not as bleak as we thought it was 1 year ago.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs talk is like abusive parents picking on one child to torment. Luka is the flavor of the day. Can't believe so much negative hate for a kid barely into his first NBA game. Do you think there might have been some butterflies? We've made good picks and bad picks over the years. Let's wait and see and stop picking on him with all this abuse

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    About Luka I think the same of most of you...looks clear the skills and potential are there. It will take time to understand if it will translate in the actual big boys game. Clues, for as few as they are and for as little as they may mean, at the moment looks positive...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka needs to prove he can be effective against the big mean athletic dudes

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let him live.......he has time to mature. I like him

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka hasn't proved he belongs in the NBA, but he also hasn't proved that he doesn't belong. We all know Pop is famous for holding back players until he feels they are ready. We waited an eternity to see what Splitter could do and Pop waited until too late to let him play in the Grizzlies playoff series way back when. He did that with George Hill too. Every rookie but Kawhi has had to park it on the bench or go to the G League for a year at least before they could even think about earning NBA minutes. So we will not have a clue of how good Luka will be on an NBA level for at least one more year. And he is likely to lose "summer" league games to develop as there is unlikely to be such games in the fall. So he may need an even longer timeline to analyze.

He has good skills for the current way the NBA is played, but we won't know if he can play on this stage consistently in games that matter for at least another year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will Luka transform into Birdman by the time his career is over? New ink.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    closer look at the new ink

Thread Information