Page 14 of 62 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You should tell tholdren in the political forum. He laughs at covid deaths every day claiming no hospital anywhere was ever overwhelmed due to COVID. Worst poster on this forum. Used to post up here telling everyone no NBA player has any skill and the 3pt line ruined basketball.

I lost a cousin and coworker/friend myself.
    I have no interest in engaging. Waste of time.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have a Dr. Cousin in the Valley, El Paso, and San Antonino and one of their big concerns months ago was what was going to happen in Mexico. Right now they have reported over 100,000 deaths but we all know it' is probably double or triple that and with the lack of medical facilities their only hope is coming to America very sad for everyone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I unfortunately live in El Paso and my wife works the front line at a hospital.
    It's horrible.
    Damn, wish her and your family all the best. I have 3 family members working the front line too. Fortunately, not the worst case where I live, but still so horrible to experience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You should tell tholdren in the political forum. He laughs at covid deaths every day claiming no hospital anywhere was ever overwhelmed due to COVID. Worst poster on this forum. Used to post up here telling everyone no NBA player has any skill and the 3pt line ruined basketball.

I lost a cousin and coworker/friend myself.
    Ugh people like tholdren are cancer. I roll my eyes at people like that, my family isn't going through to be laughed at. Man, if there was a God maybe tholdren will catch the rona just for saying stupid like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dam that place is blazing with Covid - Be safe Luka

Af far as his playing time I would love it if he could get 5 to 10 minutes a game because I think he is one of those players that needs to be engaged all the time. And yeah Poop can really a rookie mind set just ask Sean Elliott about that.
    looking at the banners in the background I’m guessing that’s the conference opponents for UTSA because a UAB banner is beside the UTEP one

I agree that I hope Luka gets consistent minutes this season because it can help his confidence and also the team can properly see what they have in the young man.

why did you bring up Sean Elliott understanding how coach Pop can kill a rookies confidence? Pop wasn’t coaching when Sean was a rookie or do you mean Sean has pointed out how he has seen Pop do this to others?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Anybody here a Lanier HS alum?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Anybody here a Lanier HS alum?
    No. They are usually known for their groundbreaking mariachi department in High School. But I digress...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. They are usually known for their groundbreaking mariachi department in High School. But I digress...
    I love a good mariachi. Wonderful music.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the hundredth time, I hope this guy surprises us this year. It will ease the pain of not drafting a PF/C of the future this year. If you have 30 minutes going to Poetl and 30 minutes going to Luka (if they both pan out) then it makes sense not to go for a big. Hope he's working his ass off.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 11-27-2020 at 12:56 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the hundredth time, I hope this guy surprises us this year. It will ease the pain of not drafting a PF/C of the future this year. If you have 30 minutes going to Poetl and 30 minutes going to Luka (if they both pan out) then it makes sense not to go for a big. Hope he's working his ass off.

I agree 100%.

I watched a decent amount of development league games (even a few in person) and you can see why they drafted the young man. He has talent and can move really well for a guy his height. If he plays stronger around the rim and just always plays with more energy consistently that's going to help his game so much.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had they not drafted Vassell, what player would have been your choice for PF/C of the future? Stewart?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had they not drafted Vassell, what player would have been your choice for PF/C of the future? Stewart?
    Smith (if he had dropped), Stewart, even Poku. Something to stack the talent there. Seems like we have all our eggs in Luka's basket for that position. Either that or the plan is to put a wing at the PF spot while a true big (Poetl, Eubanks) occupies the C spot.

I'm against the latter since I don't think any of our current wings can guard the likes of MPJ, LeBron, etc. Seems like we're investing in those tweener stretch 4 types anyway with Lyles, Gay, Luka, Keita. They all have the same body type and skillset.

Or maybe they just intend to stack the talent there during the 2021 NBA draft. Next year's draft is small forward / guard heavy at the top so a lot of PFs may be available in the mid to late first round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka plays like Siakam

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they have very specific archetypes they're looking for at each position:

PG: with exception to Tre, seems like they're filling this spot with taller, more length players. Likely so they can switch when needed. Examples: Murray, White, Q

SG: a position filled by either guard or wing depending on the matchup or fit with the line-up. Combo guards with length like what's listed above or versatile wing types with talent to provide athleticism (Lonnie) or great 3 and D skills (Vassell)

SF: Versatile wing types who are bulkier or possesses great 3 and D skills (Vassell in limited action). These guys seem to be stockier and have greater strength. Examples: DeMar, Keldon

PF: gone are the days of the bruiser type power forwards like Zach Randolph or Elton Brand. Seems like the Spurs are looking for skinny, tall, shooters at this position. Body types theyre going for are similar to Rasheed Wallace, Lamar Odom, Antawn Jefferson types.

C: Tall, wide, super strong Tiago Splitter types are used here

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they have very specific archetypes they're looking for at each position:

PG: with exception to Tre, seems like they're filling this spot with taller, more length players. Likely so they can switch when needed. Examples: Murray, White, Q

SG: a position filled by either guard or wing depending on the matchup or fit with the line-up. Combo guards with length like what's listed above or versatile wing types with talent to provide athleticism (Lonnie) or great 3 and D skills (Vassell)

SF: Versatile wing types who are bulkier or possesses great 3 and D skills (Vassell in limited action). These guys seem to be stockier and have greater strength. Examples: DeMar, Keldon

PF: gone are the days of the bruiser type power forwards like Zach Randolph or Elton Brand. Seems like the Spurs are looking for skinny, tall, shooters at this position. Body types theyre going for are similar to Rasheed Wallace, Lamar Odom, Antawn Jefferson types.

C: Tall, wide, super strong Tiago Splitter types are used here
    I'm not sure if these are archetypes they are looking for or if they're just being opportunistic with who's on the board when they've picked in the lower part of the draft. I tend to think they're just being opportunistic and figure they'll sort out the details later.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Smith (if he had dropped), Stewart, even Poku. Something to stack the talent there. Seems like we have all our eggs in Luka's basket for that position. Either that or the plan is to put a wing at the PF spot while a true big (Poetl, Eubanks) occupies the C spot.

I'm against the latter since I don't think any of our current wings can guard the likes of MPJ, LeBron, etc. Seems like we're investing in those tweener stretch 4 types anyway with Lyles, Gay, Luka, Keita. They all have the same body type and skillset.

Or maybe they just intend to stack the talent there during the 2021 NBA draft. Next year's draft is small forward / guard heavy at the top so a lot of PFs may be available in the mid to late first round.
    Spurs have been fairly unlucky in back to back drafts when it comes to bigs. It almost feels like teams are conspiring against SA, preventing them from drafting their next big of the future. The near 30 year run of having Robinson and Duncan in our frontcourt must have left a lot of teams salty lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not sure if these are archetypes they are looking for or if they're just being opportunistic with who's on the board when they've picked in the lower part of the draft. I tend to think they're just being opportunistic and figure they'll sort out the details later.
    Perhaps.

Though I do not think that can be said for the archetypes at the C position. The Spurs chose to extend them when they could have opted to go a different direction. It can't be a coincidence that Poetl and Eubanks are very similar to each other. I think that's what they really want for that position.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps.

Though I do not think that can be said for the archetypes at the C position. The Spurs chose to extend them when they could have opted to go a different direction. It can't be a coincidence that Poetl and Eubanks are very similar to each other. I think that's what they really want for that position.
    Or when life gives you lemons, you make a lemonade. I'm not knocking our guys with this analogy, but they certainly aren't Duncan or Robinson. But they are NBA players who may not have hit a ceiling yet and may be a realistic part of the puzzle.

It might be a revolutionary strategy, but if you don't have a couple of SUPERSTARS, what if you can run about 12 equal legitimate NBA players at those superstars for 48 minutes? Don't let them pace themselves. Run their cheap second units off the floor with interchangeable hard chargers who know if they give 5-7 minutes of all out play and give the floor to another wave of players for 5-7 minutes and another wave for 5-7 minutes a team of 12-15 above average subs utes might have a chance against some superstars.

I can dream can't I????
    Last edited by wildbill2u; 11-27-2020 at 11:50 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am hoping Luka becomes something. Would be nice if gets playing time this year. I rather have him over Lyles

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully this season Luka gets some time on the court.
    It would be nice if the youthful scrappiness of his teammates rub off a little.
    He might end up like Beno did, talented but not quite tough enough for Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or when life gives you lemons, you make a lemonade. I'm not knocking our guys with this analogy, but they certainly aren't Duncan or Robinson. But they are NBA players who may not have hit a ceiling yet and may be a realistic part of the puzzle.

It might be a revolutionary strategy, but if you don't have a couple of SUPERSTARS, what if you can run about 12 equal legitimate NBA players at those superstars for 48 minutes? Don't let them pace themselves. Run their cheap second units off the floor with interchangeable hard chargers who know if they give 5-7 minutes of all out play and give the floor to another wave of players for 5-7 minutes and another wave for 5-7 minutes a team of 12-15 above average subs utes might have a chance against some superstars.

I can dream can't I????
    This. This is the dream. That would be fun to watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where is RobinsontoDuncan?

I think he was/is pretty high on Luka.

Spurs love forever RobinsontoDuncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where is RobinsontoDuncan?

I think he was/is pretty high on Luka.
    I’m still really high on him. I’ve watched a lot of Luka’s film, and what I’ll say is that his biggest weakness right now remains understanding help defense. He was really lost there for most of his first season in North America, although I did see some signs of real improvement during his limited time in the bubble.

The truth is, with Luka, I don’t have any real questions about whether or not his game will translate at the NBA level. I have the same general questions with him as I would with any 20 or 21 year old about work ethic, drive etc. but not because of anything negative I’ve read or observed. I assume that the spurs will be able to coach him into being a passable help defender, at the very least, based on their track record. Otherwise, his game will translate, it’s just a question of whether he becomes just a role player, a very good role player, a high quality starter, or a star player.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully this season Luka gets some time on the court.
    It would be nice if the youthful scrappiness of his teammates rub off a little.
    He might end up like Beno did, talented but not quite tough enough for Pop.
    Beno is exactly how he is trending. If nothing changes, he'll realize he wants to be in a less demanding league, but hopefully he is better than that.

Thread Information