Page 50 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1547
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s hard to criticize the guy when they won every game that he played, and had the best production (per above stats). And watch the games again, and notice Luka would beast in the 4th quarter, end game situations to get them the W. Clearly we didn’t watch the same games . And it wasn’t just my opinion. I forwarded you a link that in all 5 games, so far, Luka was dominating the game
    yea we see things differently. I liked some of what I saw and also saw things he struggled with like setting his teammates up, not finishing strong enough, shooting poor percentages, and still seemingly awkward around his teammates still. What’s your analysis? Luka dominating and is ready to dominate NBA? Great analysis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh and you’re back pedalling because you said it’s: “Tre Jones, Cameron Reynolds, Luka Samanic, Robert Woodard, Khyri Thomas, Nate Renfro London Perrantes was a stacked GLeague team. From the 3 or so games I saw them play that would be the order of the best effective players I saw out there.” But then, oh if you pull the best two players.. And Reynolds is not even the 2nd best player, there’s Woodard and Renfro ahead of him, not to mention Luka

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh and you’re back pedalling because you said it’s: “Tre Jones, Cameron Reynolds, Luka Samanic, Robert Woodard, Khyri Thomas, Nate Renfro London Perrantes was a stacked GLeague team. From the 3 or so games I saw them play that would be the order of the best effective players I saw out there.” But then, oh if you pull the best two players.. And Reynolds is not even the 2nd best players, there’s Woodard and Renfro ahead of him, not to mention Luka

I said "2 of the best players". I never said TOP 2. I clearly ranked him as the 3rd most effective player there. but ultimately they are all pretty darn close. Reynolds, Jones, Samanic, Woodard were all pretty darn good and impressive this year.

Edit: Not to mention he was being fed the ball the most so his scoring will definitely be high.

I'll ask again, any criticisms or things he needs to work on?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yea we see things differently. I liked some of what I saw and also saw things he struggled with like setting his teammates up, not finishing strong enough, shooting poor percentages, and still seemingly awkward around his teammates still. What’s your analysis? Luka dominating and is ready to dominate NBA? Great analysis.
    I’m just saying, he didn’t have an ugly game in the Gubble as you said. On the contrary, he was the best out there every time he was on the court, and not just my own opinion. And based on the performances of our other young core who also dominated the G-League, DJ, White, Keldon, and if that’s any indication, Luka would be prime to get serious minutes come next season especially since some playing time would be available to him, and should be exciting to watch him translate to NBA games. That’s all. I was correcting what you said that he had an ugly game from the Gubble, which was far from what a lot of us saw. Peace bruh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m just saying, he didn’t have an ugly game in the Gubble as you said. On the contrary, he was the best out there every time he was on the court, and not just my own opinion. And based on the performances of our other young core who also dominated the G-League, DJ, White, Keldon, and if that’s any indication, Luka would be prime to get serious minutes come next season especially since some playing time would be available to him, and should be exciting to watch him translate to NBA games. That’s all. I was correcting what you said that he had an ugly game from the Gubble, which was far from what a lot of us saw. Peace bruh

Cool Cool. I'll still say your statement "clearly the best" is overstated. I did backpedal a bit because I was not impressed when I was seeing him but then I thought Spurs wanted him in awkward situations and to give him the ball continuously despite some other players shooting a bit better and playing better (like Woodard, Reynolds, Jones). Coaching staff specifically targeted the bubble for Luka's offensive game development which is when I backpedaled and said "its hard to come to a conclusion, how ready he is". I hope I'm wrong and Luka kills it next year. Look forward to hearing more of your points in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's all this discussion about whether Luka was some scrub on the G-L team this season? What gibberish. Dominating games and putting up good stats isn't as easy as "getting the green light" lmfao, y'all sound like Seth Curry saying Steph is only so great because they let him do what he wants in GS.... No he's not.

Luka might not have the best percentages or top tier efficiency, but he sure was the best player on that Gubble team - and it's not only in terms of skills, as you say. He was the go-to player in the clutch; even if he'd been having a bad game, come 4th Q, the team knew they could feed him and he'd pick it up, as evidenced by not only his good counting numbers, but the fact that he didn't lose a single game he played there. Small sample size? Yes, definitely, I'm not nearly saying it's gonna translate entirely to the NBA and he'll be the Spurs' closer or whatever. But you can't tell me the guy didn't rise to the occasion, and didn't make the shots when it matters. Nowadays it's so easy to get lost looking at all the available stats, and the modern fixation on efficiency and whatever.... The game is played beyond the stat sheet. And Luka delivered there, beyond the stat sheet, as well.

I also recall a few of those Gubble games, where he was cold from deep the first quarters, then started making 3s in the 4th. Does anyone have per-quarter splits to back this up? That's a really underrated skill to have - to not lose confidence once shots start missing (ahem, White), to keep pounding that rock. Especially for someone who seemingly struggled with confidence and engagement issues on the court on his first GLeague stint, that's a growth that also doesn't get plastered on a stat sheet. Y'all need to ditch the stats for a second and look at his game - his sample sizes are small at every level he's played so far, except his first GLeague season, because COVID has been ing two seasons now and Pop's rotations ed him even worse when he was with the big boy club.

Cam ing Reynolds, lmfao...

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to spend time with a sports psychologist this off-season tbh.

hes fixed a bunch of that

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Luka's character concerns are being overstated. He's in a better place now than last season. Dude is embracing coffee gang and is laughing more with teammates this season than at any point last season.

his time with the team before and after the gubble, with Patty Mills and Rudy gay mentoring him “changed things” is what I was told. Patty Mills’s positive influence on this team is so important yet on by basement dwellers on this board so much it’s amazing.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, Patty understands the score. Of all of the 30 somethingS, I think the younglings like and respect him the most, and he still has one high level NBA skill that is relevant in today’s NBA.
    He’s very respected and it’s because of his contributions starting in 14, getting paid for soldiering through a ed up diagnosis on his shoulder, and pretty much carrying the winning culture over that he learned with the vets.

his influence is not seen but very much felt in that locker room.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d honestly rather have Rudy stay. He’s always been a strong advocate for the youngsters, and didn’t fade down the stretch like Patty did.

Patty faded purely due to PT and that crap schedule. He had zero legs with 3 weeks to go.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know. Mahinimi had lingering lower leg issues that derailed him and took away his breathtaking athleticism. He wasn't particularly skilled. Luka has a good handle and a good outside shot as far as I can tell. What he needs more than anything is minutes.

Mahinmi was more a volleyball player than basketball player when drafted

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I need to see him play more to comment more in depth. I have limited watching opportunities bc the guy barely plays to begin with and of the gleague minutes, I only watch highlights, but him shooting the midrange doesn’t seem as much a part of his game. Its all a drive or 3s in the gleague highlights for example. His drives in the NBA often don’t end well since his finishing ability needs work and some of those gleague highlights wouldn’t translate.

If guys only watch highlights those would lead you to believe he can shoot the 3 but he can’t shoot well enough and has never done it well enough before. That was basically my point to the guys who watch highlights.

I think it’s obvious he was drafted for potential with the hope he’d fix his shot, gain strength and learn how to play.

shots are easy to fix, weight is easy to gain unless you’re Shawn Bradley.

Again, I don’t think you’ve watched a minute this kids played, also, he’s 22….

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a better defender than I thought he was. Stamina seems to be an issue. Consistency and mettle as well.

i mean he’s 21. What kid at 21 isn’t not not consistent other than the sure fire hall of famers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's an interesting question: if the 76ers offered Paul Reed straight up for Samanic, would you take it?

G league stats this year:

Paul Reed, 15 games
    22.3 ppg, 11.9 rpg, 2.3 apg, 2.0 spg, 1.8 bpg, 2.6 TOpg, 62.8% 2pt%, 44.4% 3pt%, 78.9 FT%, .238 WS/48

Luka Samanic, 6 games
    21..8 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 2.2 apg, 0.2 spg, 0.2 bpg, 3.2 TOpg, 51.4% 2pt%, 29.7% 3pt%, 71.4% FT%, .002 WS/48

Reed is 6 months older, 6'9", 210-220 lbs
    Samanic is probably 6'10" or 6'11", 230+ lbs (hard to say exactly for either guy, as last measurements are at least a year old)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's an interesting question: if the 76ers offered Paul Reed straight up for Samanic, would you take it?

Paul Reed, 15 games
    22.3 ppg, 11.9 rpg, 2.3 apg, 2.0 spg, 1.8 bpg, 2.6 TOpg, 62.8% 2pt%, 44.4% 3pt%, 78.9 FT%, .238 WS/48

Luka Samanic, 6 games
    21..8 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 2.2 apg, 0.2 spg, 0.2 bpg, 3.2 TOpg, 51.4% 2pt%, 29.7% 3pt%, 71.4% FT%, .002 WS/48

Samanic is probably 6'10" or 6'11", 230+ lbs (hard to say exactly for either guy, as last measurements are at least a year old)
    How is that an interesting question?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is that an interesting question?
    You don't have to participate, Mr Always Grumpy.

Or should I say Mr Broody?

It's an interesting question for people who enjoy talking about basketball, which is kinda the point of this website.

Are you saying there's no possible way that Paul Reed has a career as good as or better than Samanic? I imagine lots of oddsmakers would like that bet.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 06-12-2021 at 01:41 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Paul Reed, 15 games

Luka Samanic, 6 games

At 58th pick? Dang Spurs could’ve taken him instead of Queendairy.

I think overtime, Luka would have a higher upside. Luka is arguably 6’11 and thick as a mule. He would be punishing people come his 5th year. Well Reed could be another Kuzma.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think overtime, Luka would have a higher upside. Luka is arguably 6’11 and thick as a mule. He would be punishing people come his 5th year. Well Reed could be another Kuzma.
    He was famously all over the place in terms of draft predictions. Chad Ford had him at #20, Jason McIntyre had him at #17, & Kevin O'Connor at #35, but lots of other folks had him as a late 2nd rounder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I will give you credit you’ve been one of the more realistic folks about Luka since he got drafted. Not too high or low on him and honestly that’s the way I am also. I definitely think if he puts everything together he could be really special but I don’t know if he will.

I say all that to say this….. lmao.

so far we have a pretty solid sample size of his shooting from his draft profile all the way until now. The pundits said he had a good looking shot but didn’t convert it efficiently enough in Europe before being drafted. His two seasons in the G league And few NBA games he hasn’t shot well from deep and his numbers along with seeing it backs that up. now, I’m not saying the young man can’t get (and will not get) better because I believe he will but so far he has proven to not be a reliable shooter and it’s crazy to tell folks who are pointing out this fact while discounting all the historical evidence that is backing up their claims. you are what your actions say you are until proven otherwise and so far he hasn’t proven in Europe or the NBA that he is a reliable shooter. It isn’t an opinion by us, it’s facts backed up by actual statistical analysis . LMAO.

I’m rooting for him to ball out though and I’m not like some of these folks who can’t see the potential he has and will never point out the good things he has done.
    Solid sample size?

Do you realize that Bertans shot it at a lower percentage than Samanic when he was in Europe at the same age of 20? He shot it at a rate of 26.7%.

https://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/f...hip/index.html

At the age of 21, Bertans joined a team called KK Union Olimpija and shot a 3pt rate of 21.7%.

At the age of 22 (the age Samanic will be coming into next season), Bertans joined a team called Partizan and shot a lot better with a higher usage rate.

From your post, you would be itching to conclude that Bertans was a poor shooter when he was 21 ignoring the context of the team around him and his role, which Luka shares in common with him right now.

Where we differ in opinion is just that: I believe there's not enough sample size on whether or not Luka is a poor shooter, and certainly not enough to project him as a good or bad shooter going forward. What we do have that we can go by, is his shooting form and his comfort level shooting 3's. You disagree with these points because you want to say a maximum of 6.5FGA during his Croatian career is enough evidence to use to say he's a bad shooter (Bertans had a maximum of 9 to 11 FGA at an older age) AND you want to use g-league stats to gauge his skills. That is fine... you do you. I merely think it's inconclusive. That is not a stretch.

Also, there's not much "statistical analysis" being performed in your prior posts so not sure why say that. If you want to go there, we can go there. I can pop open my excel spreadsheet and we can go at it. I have a lot of raw data I can pull from various types of players that shows Luka is not as far off as you think. What types of charts do you prefer? Bar graphs? Scatter plots?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not the same draft. Reed was a rookie this year, and Q was on the second year of his two way deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Solid sample size?

Do you realize that Bertans shot it at a lower percentage than Samanic when he was in Europe at the same age of 20? He shot it at a rate of 26.7%.

https://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/f...hip/index.html

At the age of 21, Bertans joined a team called KK Union Olimpija and shot a 3pt rate of 21.7%.

At the age of 22 (the age Samanic will be coming into next season), Bertans joined a team called Partizan and shot a lot better with a higher usage rate.

From your post, you would be itching to conclude that Bertans was a poor shooter when he was 21 ignoring the context of the team around him and his role, which Luka shares in common with him right now.

Where we differ in opinion is just that: I believe there's not enough sample size on whether or not Luka is a poor shooter, and certainly not enough to project him as a good or bad shooter going forward. What we do have that we can go by, is his shooting form and his comfort level shooting 3's. You disagree with these points because you want to say a maximum of 6.5FGA during his Croatian career is enough evidence to use to say he's a bad shooter (Bertans had a maximum of 9 to 11 FGA at an older age) AND you want to use g-league stats to gauge his skills. That is fine... you do you. I merely think it's inconclusive. That is not a stretch.

Also, there's not much "statistical analysis" being performed in your prior posts so not sure why say that. If you want to go there, we can go there. I can pop open my excel spreadsheet and we can go at it. I have a lot of raw data I can pull from various types of players that shows Luka is not as far off as you think. What types of charts do you prefer? Bar graphs? Scatter plots?

you can pull up any type of spreadsheet you like and it’s going to agree that with the sample size we have Samanic isn’t a good shooter. Lmao.

I’m looking at Bertans numbers in Europe and he never shot that low from 3 out there unless you gonna mentioned that ONE ING GAMES HE POSTED THAT %. LMAO In 2011-12 season he shot 37% in 29 total games. In 2012-13 he shot 43% In 13 total games, 45.6 in 16 games and he tore his ACL the season before and that’s why he didn’t play a lot of games total those two seasons. 2014-15 he shot 38.6% and on 32 games and 2015-16 he shot 42.6% from 3. Bertans was and still is a shooter.

All his numbers are on the realgm link posted below. They do a great job of posting damn near anything basketball related for a player as you will see.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Davis-Bertans/Summary/24343

All I can do is shake my head at your response, especially when I tried to be respectful and you came back loud, disrespectful, and wrong as . I’m not gonna be like most of these clowns on here and go back and forth with people but please remember that I’m not one of these trolls that talks non sense on here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you can pull up any type of spreadsheet you like and it’s going to agree that with the sample size we have Samanic isn’t a good shooter. Lmao.

I’m looking at Bertans numbers in Europe and he never shot that low from 3 out there unless you gonna mentioned that ONE ING GAMES HE POSTED THAT %. LMAO In 2011-12 season he shot 37% in 29 total games. In 2012-13 he shot 43% In 13 total games, 45.6 in 16 games and he tore his ACL the season before and that’s why he didn’t play a lot of games total those two seasons. 2014-15 he shot 38.6% and on 32 games and 2015-16 he shot 42.6% from 3. Bertans was and still is a shooter.

All his numbers are on the realgm link posted below. They do a great job of posting damn near anything basketball related for a player as you will see.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Davis-Bertans/Summary/24343

All I can do is shake my head at your response, especially when I tried to be respectful and you came back loud, disrespectful, and wrong as . I’m not gonna be like most of these clowns on here and go back and forth with people but please remember that I’m not one of these trolls that talks non sense on here
    Trust me, I’m shaking my damn head too at your response. I don’t waste my time with trolls, and that’s why I don’t put in as much effort like I did with you. Iron sharpens iron, and if you’ve known anything about me since I’ve been posting here, it’s that I despise irresponsibility with the information one has been provided.

It was not one game. I literally provided you a link. The same age Bertans was in Europe as Luka, 2010-2011, is when he shot a low percentage. You can’t outright dismiss that. You’re ing disregarding everything I said about age and missing the point. You’re going on about how he performed at ages 22 and onwards. I showed you his stats before that age and how he shot poorly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trust me, I’m shaking my damn head too at your response. I don’t waste my time with trolls, and that’s why I don’t put in as much effort like I did with you. Iron sharpens iron, and if you’ve known anything about me since I’ve been posting here, it’s that I despise irresponsibility with the information one has been provided.

It was not one game. I literally provided you a link. The same age Bertans was in Europe as Luka, 2010-2011, is when he shot a low percentage. You can’t outright dismiss that. You’re ing disregarding everything I said about age and missing the point. You’re going on about how he performed at ages 22 and onwards. I showed you his stats before that age and how he shot poorly.
    that was the Latvia U19 squad not league games and only 8 at that ……….

SMH. that isn’t the same or close to Luka’s situation so far. You used a tournament as your data.

man….. I thought you were better than this….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that was the Latvia U19 squad not league games and only 8 at that ……….

SMH. that isn’t the same or close to what Luka. You used a tournament as your data.

man….. I thought you were better than this….
    Luckily, I don’t give a and neither should you. But if you want to continue this, feel free. You have a problem with me thinking it’s inconclusive apparently, and I can bring up many points to back it up. It’s your choice to be dismissive about it or not. It seems like you already made up your mind, anyway.

To the topic at hand:

That’s the problem with counting backwards, you can it up. I’ll own up to that.

Using an age calculator now:

2010-2011 Bertans at age 18 with KK Union
    2018-2019 Luka at age 18 with his Croatian team

2011-2012 Bertans at age 19 with Partizan
    2019-2020 Luka at age 19 with Austin Spurs 1st year

2012-2013 Bertans at age 20 with (fill out tomorrow)
    2020-2021 Luka at age 20 with Austin Spurs 2nd year and spot minutes with main team

^Could be wrong, I’m typing this from my phone. Will continue tomorrow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luckily, I don’t give a and neither should you. But if you want to continue this, feel free. You have a problem with me thinking it’s inconclusive apparently, and I can bring up many points to back it up. It’s your choice to be dismissive about it or not. It seems like you already made up your mind, anyway.

To the topic at hand:

That’s the problem with counting backwards, you can it up. I’ll own up to that.

Using an age calculator now:

2010-2011 Bertans at age 18 with KK Union
    2018-2019 Luka at age 18 with his Croatian team

2011-2012 Bertans at age 19 with Partizan
    2019-2020 Luka at age 19 with Austin Spurs 1st year

2012-2013 Bertans at age 20 with (fill out tomorrow)
    2020-2021 Luka at age 20 with Austin Spurs 2nd year and spot minutes with main team

^Could be wrong, I’m typing this from my phone. Will continue tomorrow.

the stats you posted (the link) clear as day said it was from the Latvia under 19 team and it was 8 games. I posted career stats for Bertans.

I personally think and have posted continuously that Luka will get better (don’t know if he will fulfill his total potential) but I’ve also pointed out that so far he hasn’t been a good shooter which data has backed up. I’ve been consistent with my stance and pretty straight forward. I have no clue why you came off the way you did but I find it hilarious that you came at me loud and wrong as . Lmao.

Thread Information