Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1547
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love how a lot of the Johnnie come lately folks are trying to judge the folks who have been posting in this thread and the G-League thread about these players and Luka specifically from the beginning. LMAO.

A lot of the folks who watched these players and Luka specifically seen how they have progressed and respect what they’ve done but understand that some of the things they did in the G-League will not correlate to the actual NBA. Luka showed some decent post moves (this season) but his game on the block in the G-League wasn’t so refined (shooting numbers weren’t the greatest in the G-League bubble) that any decent NBA team would actually run their entire offense through him like the Austin Spurs did.

The reason a few of us have consistently stated the best way for Luka to earn actual quality NBA minutes is to play defense and hit the 3 at league average on a decent amount of attempts is due to the fact that his skill level isn’t great enough right now to think the coaching staff is going to do like the Austin team did. Now if he some how impressed the coaching staff so much that they turn the whole offense over to him I would be surprised but that most likely isn’t happening. Lmao.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka hasn’t shot well, period. In the G-League he had some games where he played great but his numbers leave something to be desired. His 1st G- League season with a decent amount of games he didn’t shoot the greatest from deep and the few games he played in the G league bubble this season he shot awful from deep.

To his credit in the bubble for the g league (this season) when his shot wasn’t dropping he posted up more (something he didn’t as much of the first g league season) and took advantage of mismatches. He used his quickness against bigger defenders and his new found strength against smaller defenders. He was way more engaged and better on defense this season overall which is very pleasing.

but if everyone is being honest his shooting is theoretical and that’s all. He has a nice looking shot but even in Europe his numbers were not that good and so far it hasn’t been good in the g league and NBA.

I’m not a hater and if you check the threads I’ve been consistently one of the more positive folks on here about the guy and being patient with his progression. I’m just being honest though about what I’ve seen in actual live games in Austin and watching on television, not just reading stats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka hasn’t shot well, period. In the G-League he had some games where he played great but his numbers leave something to be desired. His 1st G- League season with a decent amount of games he didn’t shoot the greatest from deep and the few games he played in the G league bubble this season he shot awful from deep.

To his credit in the bubble for the g league (this season) when his shot wasn’t dropping he posted up more (something he didn’t as much of the first g league season) and took advantage of mismatches. He used his quickness against bigger defenders and his new found strength against smaller defenders. He was way more engaged and better on defense this season overall which is very pleasing.

but if everyone is being honest his shooting is theoretical and that’s all. He has a nice looking shot but even in Europe his numbers were not that good and so far it hasn’t been good in the g league and NBA.

I’m not a hater and if you check the threads I’ve been consistently one of the more positive folks on here about the guy and being patient with his progression. I’m just being honest though about what I’ve seen in actual live games in Austin and watching on television, not just reading stats.
    Since you watched him a lot in the gleague I wonder if they are asking him to add a post up game and to play inside more, specially since his shot is still in progress, I really do wish we had a bigger sample of games from him. I look forward to watching him in summer league although even that is not indicative of how he’ll play in the NBA, as I know all too well, but it’s a start. It will be interesting if he develops a more traditional big man game, specially when it’s been noted that he’s had a late growth spurt since drafted.

Thank you for your comments, they have added insight I appreciate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since you watched him a lot in the gleague I wonder if they are asking him to add a post up game and to play inside more, specially since his shot is still in progress, I really do wish we had a bigger sample of games from him. I look forward to watching him in summer league although even that is not indicative of how he’ll play in the NBA, as I know all too well, but it’s a start. It will be interesting if he develops a more traditional big man game, specially when it’s been noted that he’s had a late growth spurt since drafted.

Thank you for your comments, they have added insight I appreciate.

his first season in the g league he posted up some but he did it way more in the few games in the g league bubble this year. He looked more comfortable than he did the first season and I think it was due to him adding muscle and also having guys like Jones who actually knew how to get him the ball in his spots.

his post game wasn’t the greatest thing I’ve seen but he had a decent little spin move he liked to use which was his most impressive thing. Other than that he mostly overpowered smaller defenders or used his quickness to get around bigger slower guys. It wasn’t anything super special to be honest.

What I liked was the fact that he was way more aggressive this season in the g league bubble and he played way better defense. he also rebounded a whole lot better (even getting some contested boards) and actually boxed out way better than his rookie year.

you can tell why the Spurs drafted the guy though. He is a good athlete for a big guy, (he is really quick and can jump pretty well) shown to be able to put the ball on the deck when players close out on him, okay passer, and his shot LOOKS good. Sadly the shot hasn’t went in as much as you would think it would with how his form looks though. Some of it can definitely be attributed to poor shot selection in the G league though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he definitely improved from his first season from the few outings he got. I think (hope anyway) he has a decent chances of staying in the NBA for a long time but I feel some folks are over hyping the few flashes he has shown. Unless he makes a seriously huge jump I don’t see him being some offensive hub that a decent amount of the folks on here believe.

He still has issues finishing in traffic and through contact, his shooting (no matter how pretty his form is) hasn’t been consistent, he doesn’t have a strong go to or counter post move, his handle isn’t tight enough to ask him to beat players (not folks closing hard due to the threat of the jumper) on the perimeter straight up, and he has turnover issues due to all the items mentioned above.

that is just a few (not all) offensive deficiencies I’ve noticed and I will not even get into defense.

I’m rooting for the guy and think he still has a chance to be an NBA player but if he doesn’t figure it out and get run next season……..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A lot of folks here just read stats and then when something suits their views, they go “great insight” and run away like cowards.

It’s okay to have an opposing view, especially when it’s a well-researched one. Unfortunately, that’s not always the case and you have people spewing nonsense when they haven’t watched a ing game since the 2020 Bubble.

Concerning your point of view: I’ll say this again. There’s not a sufficient sample size to determine whether he is or isn’t a good shooter. To judge whether he is based on the little opportune moments he had during the season is asinine. The Spurs system is so slow and its shot distribution among players is so condensed that it makes it seem like every shot that goes up, a player has to make it count. In contrast, Poku shot up almost five threes a game and only shot 21%. Do I think he’s a bad shooter? No. Does anyone think he’s going to shoot better over time? Yes. Why is that? It’s something you have to ask yourself why Poku should continue to get those shots and it will pretty much relate to the questions you have for Samanic.

Brook Lopez didn’t shoot 3’s until he was 27 years old. When he did start, he had five shot attempts per game. Luka barely put up a single 3 per game this year and we’re supposed to put that under a magnifying lens and believe he should have made more of those 3s this year to determine if he is a good shooter or not. Tell me why that sounds fair.

All this to say that I have not concluded anything about Luka. Neither should the idiots who say they have an “objective view” about things when they’re not really invested in the team and only pretend to be until there’s a good player on board (great fan, btw). Like you, I think next season is boom (and by boom, I mean showing he belongs in the NBA, not star production) or bust for Luka. As for me, it’s great if he makes it and “oh well” if he doesn’t. I think there’ll be great opportunities soon to find someone suited for the role if it isn’t him.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 06-11-2021 at 05:49 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of folks here just read stats and then when something suits their views, they go “great insight” and run away like cowards.
    All this to say that I have not concluded anything about Luka. Neither should the idiots who say they have an “objective view” about things when they’re not really invested in the team and only pretend to be until there’s a good player on board (great fan, btw). Like you, I think next season is boom (and by boom, I mean showing he belongs in the NBA, not star production) or bust for Luka. As for me, it’s great if he makes it and “oh well” if he doesn’t. I think there’ll be great opportunities soon to find someone suited for the role if it isn’t him.
    i saw every game that Luka played in the gubble and you'd have to judge his play by quarters. there were times during games where luka seemed hesitant to shoot or did not have the greatest shot selection. then, consistently, he'd take over in the 4th and displayed a lot of range. he used a great spin move that was consistent, showed a nice touch, had some decent post-ups and loved to use the baseline to drive in for dunks or layups. he also displayed a decent mid-range game and hit the three ball at a nice percentage in the closing minutes. his FT shooting was a mixed bag but his form looked good. he was also pretty ferocious on the boards. to me, luka was always the best player on the court. for a player who had no training camp or summer league and did not play at all the year before because of how scrawny he was, i think he was pretty solid and showed that he has the potential to be more than just a one-trick pony. also, post-gubble Luka was significantly better when he came back from the gubble (in the few minutes he played for the spurs). yes, he had some crappy moments (the philly game at philly stands out) but more often than not he showed flashes. i hope he plays in the summer league because i am really looking forward to seeing what he shows in the off-season and training camp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s okay to have an opposing view, especially when it’s a well-researched one. Unfortunately, that’s not always the case and you have people spewing nonsense when they haven’t watched a ing game since the 2020 Bubble.

Concerning your point of view: I’ll say this again. There’s not a sufficient sample size to determine whether he is or isn’t a good shooter. To judge whether he is based on the little opportune moments he had during the season is asinine. The Spurs system is so slow and its shot distribution among players is so condensed that it makes it seem like every shot that goes up, a player has to make it count. In contrast, Poku shot up almost five threes a game and only shot 21%. Do I think he’s a bad shooter? No. Does anyone think he’s going to shoot better over time? Yes. Why is that? It’s something you have to ask yourself why Poku should continue to get those shots and it will pretty much relate to the questions you have for Samanic.

Brook Lopez didn’t shoot 3’s until he was 27 years old. When he did start, he had five shot attempts per game. Luka barely put up a single 3 per game this year and we’re supposed to put that under a magnifying lens and believe he should have made more of those 3s this year to determine if he is a good shooter or not. Tell me why that sounds fair.

I will give you credit you’ve been one of the more realistic folks about Luka since he got drafted. Not too high or low on him and honestly that’s the way I am also. I definitely think if he puts everything together he could be really special but I don’t know if he will.

I say all that to say this….. lmao.

so far we have a pretty solid sample size of his shooting from his draft profile all the way until now. The pundits said he had a good looking shot but didn’t convert it efficiently enough in Europe before being drafted. His two seasons in the G league And few NBA games he hasn’t shot well from deep and his numbers along with seeing it backs that up. now, I’m not saying the young man can’t get (and will not get) better because I believe he will but so far he has proven to not be a reliable shooter and it’s crazy to tell folks who are pointing out this fact while discounting all the historical evidence that is backing up their claims. you are what your actions say you are until proven otherwise and so far he hasn’t proven in Europe or the NBA that he is a reliable shooter. It isn’t an opinion by us, it’s facts backed up by actual statistical analysis . LMAO.

I’m rooting for him to ball out though and I’m not like some of these folks who can’t see the potential he has and will never point out the good things he has done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't know what a player can do until you play him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's look at Luka's shooting percentages:

2016-17: 8 games, 33.3% from three. Europe

2017-18: 26 games, 28.2% from three. Europe

2018-19: 50 games, 33.8% from three. Europe

2019-20: 32 games, 30.7% from three. G league

2019-20: 3 games, 37.5% from three. NBA

2020-21: 6 games, 29.7% from three. G league

2020-21: 33 games, 27.9% from three. NBA

Could he develop into a decent three point shooter? Sure, it's possible. It just doesn't seem especially likely. One indicator Tankathon uses to predict future 3pt%s for prospects (in addition to previous 3pt%) is FT%, and there again, Samanic is OK, but certainly nothing along the lines of elite, or even above average. Add in the coach Pop factor-- he just won't have the patience to let a player like Luka experiment with shooting threes at a subpar rate, so I don't think it's a good scenario even if Luka wants to focus on them.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player.../By_Location/0
    https://www.basketball-reference.com...samanlu01.html
    https://www.basketball-reference.com...amanlu01d.html
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 06-11-2021 at 11:25 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a better defender than I thought he was. Stamina seems to be an issue. Consistency and mettle as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've seen his G-League games and they are definitely ugly but scattered with some decent performances. I do recall feeling like Luka was just demanding the ball and looking for isolation scoring plays. This is obviously hard at his age and definitely something he will need to add to his game. The coaching staff even said developing his skills was a focus this past season.

Looking at his play without this context made it look like he was 100% not ready to play but his few games in the actual NBA looked a lot better and was way more in rhythm than his G-League play. In conclusion, I believe Spurs were putting Luka in tough situations in the G-League to prepare him for the NBA. I think he will definitely be in for an up and down season this year but he should at least develop in a bench role by the end of the year. Potential for a starting role is still there but hard to visualize with the way he is being used right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've seen his G-League games and they are definitely ugly but scattered with some decent performances. I do recall feeling like Luka was just demanding the ball and looking for isolation scoring plays. This is obviously hard at his age and definitely something he will need to add to his game. The coaching staff even said developing his skills was a focus this past season.

Looking at his play without this context made it look like he was 100% not ready to play but his few games in the actual NBA looked a lot better and was way more in rhythm than his G-League play. In conclusion, I believe Spurs were putting Luka in tough situations in the G-League to prepare him for the NBA. I think he will definitely be in for an up and down season this year but he should at least develop in a bench role by the end of the year. Potential for a starting role is still there but hard to visualize with the way he is being used right now.
    You are talking about the last G-League Bubble, right? Because I remember Luka Samanic averaged 21.8 pts, 11.3 rebs and 2.2 assists. And clearly the best player every time he's on the court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are talking about the last G-League Bubble, right? Because I remember Luka Samanic averaged 21.8 pts, 11.3 rebs and 2.2 assists. And clearly the best player every time he's on the court.
    Yes. He was spoon-fed the ball in awkward situations. He did not make his teammates better and he shot bad percentages from the field and especially from the 3. There was obviously some good plays where you knew he had elite skills that could translate but the performances were ugly in large part. Always getting the ball tipped out of his hands when going to the rim or blocked. Getting his stagnant jumpers off only because he is 2-3 inches taller than everyone guarding him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. He was spoon-fed the ball in awkward situations. He did not make his teammates better and he shot bad percentages from the field and especially from the 3. There was obviously some good plays where you knew he had elite skills that could translate but the performances were ugly in large part. Always getting the ball tipped out of his hands when going to the rim or blocked. Getting his stagnant jumpers off only because he is 2-3 inches taller than everyone guarding him.
    Are you sure you were watching the same games? Because I believe they won all games that he played, and probably would've been the MVP if Luka wasn't called up.

Maybe this article would help? https://airalamo.com/2021/02/21/san-...nating-bubble/
    It pretty much said, Luka Samanic dominating the G-League bubble. Come on man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you sure you were watching the same games? Because I believe they won all games that he played, and probably would've been the MVP if Luka wasn't called up.

Maybe this article would help? https://airalamo.com/2021/02/21/san-...nating-bubble/
    It pretty much said, Luka Samanic dominating the G-League bubble. Come on man
    I think they were like 6-1 with Luka and Tre.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they were like 6-1 with Luka and Tre.
    I wasn't so sure, but I'm pretty certain his game wasn't ugly and in fact he was the best player every time he's on the court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't so sure, but I'm pretty certain his game wasn't ugly and in fact he was the best player every time he's on the court.
    I thought he was very good in the Gubble, and was pissed for months at Quindarry for infecting the big club with covid, necessitating their call up before the end of the league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Definitely not the "best". He definitely stood out at times as the most exciting but the wins were more dictated by a group of players which included Samanic: Tre Jones, Cameron Reynolds, Luka Samanic, Robert Woodard, Khyri Thomas, Nate Renfro London Perrantes was a stacked GLeague team. From the 3 or so games I saw them play that would be the order of the best effective players I saw out there. All were pretty close. Luka had some good takeover moments but otherwise looked a bit out of rhythm and was jacking up lots of shots. Look at Khyri Thomas, and Cameron Reynolds shooting percentages for the year compared to Luka's. Luka was not "Clearly the best player" but his potential is the best for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely not the "best". He definitely stood out at times as the most exciting but the wins were more dictated by a group of players which included Samanic: Tre Jones, Cameron Reynolds, Luka Samanic, Robert Woodard, Khyri Thomas, Nate Renfro London Perrantes was a stacked GLeague team. From the 3 or so games I saw them play that would be the order of the best effective players I saw out there. All were pretty close. Luka had some good takeover moments but otherwise looked a bit out of rhythm and was jacking up lots of shots. Look at Khyri Thomas, and Cameron Reynolds shooting percentages for the year compared to Luka's. Luka was not "Clearly the best player" but his potential is the best for sure.
    If it was such a team effort, why did they basically fall apart when Luka and Tre got called up? Those other guys didn’t shoot for once the NBA roster guys got called up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it was such a team effort, why did they basically fall apart when Luka and Tre got called up? Those other guys didn’t shoot for once the NBA roster guys got called up.

Well losing 2 of the team's top 2 players makes a huge difference. Especially their pg and who I said was probably their most "effective" player.

6-1 is a small sample size. They were not blowing teams out but winning closing games even with the team at full health. Even without Jones and Samanic they held up ok (4-3 the next 7 games) despite losing Robert Woodard later in the year too. The last two defeats were bad but at that point they lose 3 of their 4 best players, so yea it makes sense they fell apart a bit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well losing 2 of the team's top 2 players makes a huge difference. Especially their pg and who I said was probably their most "effective" player.

6-1 is a small sample size. They were not blowing teams out but winning closing games even with the team at full health. Even without Jones and Samanic they held up ok (4-3 the next 7 games) despite losing Robert Woodard later in the year too. The last two defeats were bad but at that point they lose 3 of their 4 best players, so yea it makes sense they fell apart a bit.
    I think you’re back-pedaling here Look, just go over the stats. Luka had:
    6/10 W, 20 pts, 17 rebs
    6/11 W, 23 pts, 10 rebs
    6/13 W, 16 pts, 11 rebs
    6/15 W, 26 pts, 9 rebs
    6/18 W, 29 pts, 13 rebs
    6/20 W, 17 pts, 9 rebs

I was right. They won ALL games that Luka played. He sat down on that 6/16 lost with injury, and last game was 6/20 and he got called up with Tre. But if that stat wasn’t dominating to you, I don’t know what

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you’re back-pedaling here Look, just go over the stats. Luka had:
    6/10 W, 20 pts, 17 rebs
    6/11 W, 23 pts, 10 rebs
    6/13 W, 16 pts, 11 rebs
    6/15 W, 26 pts, 9 rebs
    6/18 W, 29 pts, 13 rebs
    6/20 W, 17 pts, 9 rebs

I was right. They won ALL games that Luka played. He sat down on that 6/16 lost with injury, and last game was 6/20 and he got called up with Tre. But if that stat wasn’t dominating to you, I don’t know what

How am I backpedaling? Luka played with a full squad every single one of those games. I already said Spurs were padding his stats bit by giving him the green light. His offense was not necessarily in the flow of the game. His potential is strong but rhythm and bball iq is lacking. Tre Jones and a lot of those G-League vets masked a lot of what Luka was doing in those wins. I checked all the boxscores it was a collective effort and Luka shot a poor percentage for the year. Those are facts. You stating "Clearly the best player" is hyperbole and a shallow analysis of his playing time this past year. Do you have any criticisms for the guy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How am I backpedaling? Luka played with a full squad every single one of those games. I already said Spurs were padding his stats bit by giving him the green light. His offense was not necessarily in the flow of the game. His potential is strong but rhythm and bball iq is lacking. Tre Jones and a lot of those G-League vets masked a lot of what Luka was doing in those wins. I checked all the boxscores it was a collective effort and Luka shot a poor percentage for the year. Those are facts. You stating "Clearly the best player" is hyperbole and a shallow analysis of his playing time this past year. Do you have any criticisms for the guy?
    It’s hard to criticize the guy when they won every game that he played, and had the best production (per above stats). And watch the games again, and notice Luka would beast in the 4th quarter, end game situations to get them the W. Clearly we didn’t watch the same games . And it wasn’t just my opinion. I forwarded you a link that said, in all 5 games, so far, Luka was dominating the game. Come on bro. Were you a disgruntled Lyle’s fan and don’t like the minutes to go to Luka?? The guy, when he meets his potential, has the highest upside of any of our young core, because of his height and guard skills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s hard to criticize the guy when they won every game that he played, and had the best production (per above stats). And watch the games again, and notice Luka would beast in the 4th quarter, end game situations to get them the W. Clearly we didn’t watch the same games . And it wasn’t just my opinion. I forwarded you a link that said, in all 5 games, so far, Luka was dominating the game. Come on bro. Were you a disgruntled Lyle’s fan and don’t like the minutes to go to Luka?? The guy, when he meets his potential, has the highest upside of any of our young core, because of his height and guard skills.
    i was thinking the same thing.

Thread Information