Page 40 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1547
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

**Down2Buck always has a great synopsis for his videos.

Over the first few months of my semi-retirement, I've gotten the distinct feeling that I'm not doing enough pandering to the citizens of various nation-states in the Balkans. Pandering to the inhabitants of those countries is accountable for roughly 94% of the success I've found as a purveyor of NBA highlight videos on the You Tubes. If I had been more diligent, I would have created more opportunities to pander to these people, but I haven't been more diligent. I've been lazy, and the citizenry of the various -ia countries in southeast Europe are the ones who have suffered.

Now is the chance to make things right. Luka Samanic is from Croatia and he's in the NBA, which means that Croatians are desperate to watch his highlight videos. By my estimate, thousands of Croatians will find this video, and a decent percentage of them will read the words that I'm writing here. It's the perfect opportunity for me to talk about the proud lineage of Croatian NBA players, the fine quality of Croatian women, and how Samanic is undoubtedly going to be an NBA All-Star one day.

Croatia has turned out some good NBA players. Toni Kukoc is the one most fans would recognize, having been the third man on some of those Michael Jordan championship teams, but we can't forget Drazen Petrovic, who was poised for s om until his life was tragically cut short. More recent luminaries like Bojan Bogdanovic, who is playing very well in Utah right now, and Dario Saric, who is getting misused in Phoenix but will eventually find a team that can use him to his strengths, should be familiar to today's fans. Sure, some Croats don't pan out in the NBA (Mario Hezonja, Dragan Bender), but Croatia probably has a smaller bust percentage than America does, so we can't fault them for that.

Of course, no discussion of Croats in the NBA is complete without mentioning the woman of Croatia, who are widely regarded as being the most beautiful in the world. I have personally used the internet to look up pictures of Croatian women, and they are very, very hot. My new life goal is to move to Croatia and marry one. Hopefully my credentials as a provider of Croatian NBA player highlight videos will woo them. If not, my emaciated frame, long ponytail, and long [other part of body] will have to do the job. The first time I see a Croat woman naked, I will probably have a heart attack and die, so struck will I be by her blinding beauty. Paramedics of Croatia, please have the defibrillator on standby.

Luka Samanic will totally be an All-Star one day. He's off to a slow start in his NBA career, but the Spurs know what they're doing. They'll give him time to develop properly and learn from the best (LaMarcus Aldridge counts as "the best" in this scenario), and then, when the league is least ready, they'll unleash him. Croats have a lot to look forward to in this guy. If there's a better Luka in the NBA right now, I don't know who he is.

I said I was going to pander to Croats in this description, but that was a lie. I'm not even pandering right now. I'm just spitting straight facts.

All clips property of the NBA. No copyright infringement is intended.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice for us.
    We needed someone with his potential.

And he is right about the women. Beautiful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matt Bonner was actually very unclutch. His 3-pt percentage was very good, but if ask any Spurs fan that actually watched the team during that time about Bonner & they'd tell you that Bonner was almost automatic when the team had a 15-20 pt lead, but if the game was tight he'd brick a wide ass open 3.. so no, Bonner would not have been "really damn good" nor even pretty good in today's era
    So unclutch that he shut down prime Dwight Howard in 13 and made Iblocka useless once we started him in 2014. Maybe you don’t remember the ass kicking we were getting in that series before we started him. I admit he got owned by Zach Randolph in 2011 but that’s about it. He was solid in the playoffs after that.

But if your complaint is that he didn’t hit enough game winners then I think you’re going to be very disappointed in Luka tbh. Bonner sucks bc he wasn’t a go to clutch guy. We had 2 of the best closers in the world with Timmy and Manu and a 3rd great closer in Tony and you’re in here ing about him not being big shot Rob. Today’s Spurstalk

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have been really impressed with his defensive effort. Its a total 180 compared to the few G-league games I've seen this year. Seeing him straight up dominate Randle on both-ends was the high-light of the game, you clearly see Randle being frustrated. His ability to guard the perimeter, Switchability and than able to handle big guys around the paint gives him a different out look on defense! Scary thing is that he could potenttially develop into an Above-averge defender or a dominating defender, and than his offesnive game is still Developing and onces it develops it's a scary though. He can shoot the 3, he's quite quick for a guy his size, able to bring the ball up. Now he still needs work as a ball-handler, and fisnihing but the skill sets are there!

Now, saw a few comments about Lonnie, Here's the deal he's only 22 and there is alot of talent and i trust our development team. Resigning him and keep on developing, he has a chance for a bright future! Look at Murray, people were on his ass (they never learn) and he's has easily been the seond best player this year. Resign Lonnie and let him develop, he's already show better offensive upside than Murray now it being patience and we have to wait (which we wobn't or don't understand)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't Pop speak the same language they do in the Balkans?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doesn't Pop speak the same language they do in the Balkans?
    Very little. By his own admission.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Homerism is saying he will for sure shut down Kawhi.

Saying he would like to see how Luka would do against Kawhi isn't homerism.

Plus, you can't look at last night's defensive performance by Luka and shrug it off like it wasn't special.

Then again, a lot of Spurs fans on here sometimes don't watch the games and then comment on things they didn't see.

Not saying that that's you. But it's a common trend.

Luka's standing reach is what's helping him on defense (contesting shots), not his wingspan. His SR is causing his matchup to shoot low percentages. Stats back it up.
    yep. its not just about wingspan. people dont just consist of floating arms. giannis has the same wingspan as kawhi, but one obviously has more reach than the other

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whatta you, a stat nerd now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can see his confidence growing every. He’s clearly getting more comfortable out there on the floor. You love to see it.
    Last edited by BatManu20; 03-03-2021 at 10:30 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Small sample obviously, but Luka had the best +/- for each of the past 2 games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep. its not just about wingspan. people dont just consist of floating arms. giannis has the same wingspan as kawhi, but one obviously has more reach than the other
    Agree. Luka has shown great discipline in putting his hands straight and standing tall defending his guy. And for a 6’11 that’s a lot. Also his lateral quickness allows him to switch and closeout on shooters. Luka, likewise Diop, can be very useful in defending not only bigs but shooters which have suffered with Gay and Aldridge slow recovery. Spurs will be better defensively with Luka and Diop.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. Luka has shown great discipline in putting his hands straight and standing tall defending his guy. And for a 6’11 that’s a lot. Also his lateral quickness allows him to switch and closeout on shooters. Luka, likewise Diop, can be very useful in defending not only bigs but shooters which have suffered with Gay and Aldridge slow recovery. Spurs will be better defensively with Luka and Diop.
    You can't teach length! Lyles short coming is that he's not quick enough. He's 6-10 in shoes with a 7'3" wingspan. Similar also to Diop in that he plays underneath the basket. Both Diop and Lyles are also decent ball handlers for their size. It's also like they have the same career path starting somewhere else, ending up in the Nuggets and eventually now with the Spurs. Lyles though was a lottery pick and Diop is a 2nd rounder. Both players are also 25 years old. It seems like they are the same kind of player!

Before the bubble, Lyles proved to be a serviceable glue guy. Not being disruptive on the court and just doing the right things and being in the right spot. He's the guy who just doesn't get in the way of the Spurs other players. This may just be a good thing!

Diop has yet to show much of anything yet. His +/- are the worse in the team.
    Last edited by ceperez; 03-04-2021 at 08:13 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Diop has a lower posture on defense and more fluid on offense, making him a more suitable option at small forward. He's got better instincts on defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta love the idea of a last-play defensive lineup that switches everything featuring DJM, White, Diop, Samanic, and Poeltl

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta love the idea of a last-play defensive lineup that switches everything featuring DJM, White, Diop, Samanic, and Poeltl
    Did you see Tre, Luka, Diop, Eubanks, Lyles mopping minutes? I mean the long guards (Tre excluded but he's a very good defensive player also) and mobile bigs are allowing Pop different defensive look. This is the most athletic I've seen the Spurs since the Twin Towers days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm guessing this was probably already posted, but if not, and you want an hour and a half of Luka analysis. Well, this is your vid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Patty and Rudy are good defensive players??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Patty and Rudy are good defensive players??
    Rudy absolutely, he's 11th in the NBA in RAPTOR ranking. Played really well defensively this season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rudy absolutely, he's 11th in the NBA in RAPTOR ranking. Played really well defensively this season
    That surprises me, tbh. He always looks slow-footed to me these days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    13. San Antonio Spurs | PR: 12 ↓
    There’s another Luka in Texas.

Luka Samanic, drafted 19th by the Spurs in 2019, has averaged seven points on 35.3 percent from 3 and 5.6 rebounds in his last five games before the break. The 6-foot-10 Croatian underwhelmed early in his career until this recent stretch, but his development could play a major role for the Spurs moving forward. San Antonio is loaded with young guards and wings, but it lacks younger bigs aside from Jakob Poeltl, who is an effective interior player without perimeter skills.

Enter Samanic, who can handle the ball in the open court, attack a closeout, or make acrobatic attempts in the paint. Samanic is earning regular minutes only because the Spurs are dealing with a COVID-19 outbreak, so the true challenge will be sustaining his performance when touches are less frequent and minutes aren’t promised. But the 21-year-old’s offensive development is encouraging nonetheless.

During this five-game run, Samanic is also displaying versatile defense after two years of working on his fundamentals to stay in a stance and improve his lateral quickness.

The first clip above shows Samanic defending Randle full court, nearly knocking the ball away, keeping him out of the paint, and then heavily contesting a 3. Samanic has done a good job against bigs like Randle, and the Spurs have also trusted him to switch onto some quicker guards like Irving, Harden, and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. The longer Samanic keeps this up, the clearer it’ll be that the Spurs have a good Luka of their own.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/3...-brooklyn-nets

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For sure needs playing time with the potential hes showed the last few games...Should probably gobble up all lonnies mins,Lonnie been so inconsistent its frustrating

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka needs to get consistent minutes and to be honest if he continues to bust his butt on defense I would name him the starting PF after a few more games. That leaves Lyles and Rudy to get spot minutes with the second unit or when Luka is in foul trouble but like I said he is our future!!

Now we just need to draft a big man to back up Poodle who hopefully is decent defender but can hit the 3 ball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That surprises me, tbh. He always looks slow-footed to me these days.
    The one thing that works in his favor is that for most of the season, so far, other teams have been so anxious to get LMA into switches that they’ve pretty much ignored Rudy, and allowed him to play pretty ok matchups.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m happy Luka has been taking advantage of his time seeing real NBA action so far. I really hope he continues to improve

Thread Information