Page 9 of 62 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't think of one season since the Holt's took over that they have operated as a we have to be under the cap by any means necessary team...
    Not the cap...THE TAX. we’re already more than $10M over the cap, with transactions still needed to fill the roster and no Poodle yet. The Holts have been willing to pay the tax to compete, because they could recoup some of the bill via playoff games. Those generate $1-2M per game. I wouldn’t count on that going forward.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There also could be a lot of teams over the tax this year (depending on where it is). How I understand it the tax paid is split between the non tax paying teams. So it is not only the tax that is paid but the lost revenue from getting the tax return.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There also could be a lot of teams over the tax this year (depending on where it is). How I understand it the tax paid is split between the non tax paying teams. So it is not only the tax that is paid but the lost revenue from getting the tax return.
    Yes, this is my understanding too. Going from $1 under the tax to $1 over it is a huge deal. Even more so if there are more tax-paying teams than normal.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not the cap...THE TAX. we’re already more than $10M over the cap, with transactions still needed to fill the roster and no Poodle yet. The Holts have been willing to pay the tax to compete, because they could recoup some of the bill via playoff games. Those generate $1-2M per game. I wouldn’t count on that going forward.
    I don't think paying the tax for this year is that big of a deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its similar to where if you just made a bit too much money last year and sneak into the next federal tax bracket level, now not only do you not get a refund but you gotta pay Uncle Sam as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since you’re not paying it. This isn’t fantasy bball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course you would think so, you don't have to pay it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In fact if there's a year to not pay the tax it is this one. You know, with this whole COVID thing and the Spurs missing the playoffs for the first time in forever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its similar to where if you just made a bit too much money last year and sneak into the next federal tax bracket level, now not only do you not get a refund but you gotta pay Uncle Sam as well.
    That's not really how progressive tax works in the US. It's possible that you could miss out on a credit or something by making too much, but when talking about straight taxes, no. The brackets are nested, so you only pay the higher rate on the overage from the lower rates. Say you're $50 under a threshold and have a chance to make an extra $100, putting you $50 over. Maybe you go from a small refund to a small payment for that (which of course is actually based on your withholding and not on the rate itself), but it's very much less than the $100 extra you made. There's no incentive in the US to make less money for the most part. That isn't and certainly wasn't always true in other nations. The UK famously did have a time where the tax worked like you suggested and people at the fringe would make less money to stay out of the higher bracket because they'd lose more than they'd earn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In fact if there's a year to not pay the tax it is this one. You know, with this whole COVID thing and the Spurs missing the playoffs for the first time in forever.
    Not just that, but SO many teams are locked into a ton of salary that the tax payments should be pretty good this year (more money, bigger pie). Also the more financial flexibility the team has, the more aggressive they could be in taking advantage of clubs in worse financial situations. Even if they end up going over the tax later, they can choose to do so from being fairly compensated rather than doing so to keep together mediocre role-players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other reason this covid thing is hard to pay the tax with is that the ABA teams still pay the St Louis franchisers. I know there was an announcement of a buyout on the deal, but never heard if it really was consummated.

Before, the ABA teams paid what, 25% of their national TV money cut to them? That left the ABA teams more dependent on gate revenues that they haven't been getting.

Even if the buyout deal was confirmed, it's probably costing then many millions a year just to pay that off with no gate money to help.

That's why I think things could get bad enough that they don't even keep Lyles. And hopefully a good reason to not bring Forbes back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is zero reason for the Spurs to even consider paying the tax. If it somehow made them legit le contenders then maybe, but that's not on the table.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The other reason this covid thing is hard to pay the tax with is that the ABA teams still pay the St Louis franchisers. I know there was an announcement of a buyout on the deal, but never heard if it really was consummated.

Before, the ABA teams paid what, 25% of their national TV money cut to them? That left the ABA teams more dependent on gate revenues that they haven't been getting.

Even if the buyout deal was confirmed, it's probably costing then many millions a year just to pay that off with no gate money to help.

That's why I think things could get bad enough that they don't even keep Lyles. And hopefully a good reason to not bring Forbes back.
    Interesting. Oh, to be a St. Louis franchiser. Free money is nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Looks like the mini-camp has started....

Luka looking beefy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka responded to Galen Robinson in the comments, "locked in" with "nightly".

Let's get it, boy!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

1/7 of the TV revenue. It’s estimated that when the partial settlement of $500M was received in 2014, the Silna brothers had already collected $300M for the corpse of their ABA franchise. That settlement gives the 4 surviving ABA teams majority ownership of the Sprits, effectively cutting their payment in half, and they have the option to buy out the rest of the Spirits franchise in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Looks like the mini-camp has started....

Luka looking beefy.
    Damn, talk about bulking up. One thing you can say about our current group of youngins is that they all look like hard workers and trying to develop their bodies - Luka, Keldon, Lonnie are all visibly buffier now than they were at the start of the season. Hopefully it translates to the court... But it's a great sign, especially for someone like Luka, who really needs the strength.

Dare I say... League ed?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, talk about bulking up. One thing you can say about our current group of youngins is that they all look like hard workers and trying to develop their bodies - Luka, Keldon, Lonnie are all visibly buffier now than they were at the start of the season. Hopefully it translates to the court... But it's a great sign, especially for someone like Luka, who really needs the strength.

Dare I say... League ed?
    Next step for Luka is developing that killer instinct. If he ever gets it, watchout.

Want to see this dude diving to the rim with no respect for human life. If he starts doing that, it should really open things up for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Next step for Luka is developing that killer instinct. If he ever gets it, watchout.

Want to see this dude diving to the rim with no respect for human life. If he starts doing that, it should really open things up for him.
    It's all about effort with him - it's always been his question mark, probably still is. If he can look like he gives a for the entire game, on both ends of the court, he'll be a great piece for the Spurs. If he doesn't... I'd rather we find out sooner than later, so the Spurs can start planning around their long-term PF situation. From the little we've seen, and how he's visibly bulked up, I'm cautiously optimistic. Next season hopefully will make things clear.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles could really just have been a placeholder for Luka and for the other Spurs players to get to know how to play on the court with that archetype.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last edited by timvp; 09-18-2020 at 01:34 AM. Reason: fixed gif

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Him and Keldon seemed to hit off as they where drafted together and played together in G League. Hopefully both can push each other to be the best players they can possibly be - Just remember Luka is a young big and we all new it would probably take 2 or 3 years for him to be ready as he was so young.

I am very optimistic that we will see a lot of improvements the next season and I truly think him and Keldon offer is some good building blocks for the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Him and Keldon seemed to hit off as they where drafted together and played together in G League. Hopefully both can push each other to be the best players they can possibly be - Just remember Luka is a young big and we all new it would probably take 2 or 3 years for him to be ready as he was so young.

I am very optimistic that we will see a lot of improvements the next season and I truly think him and Keldon offer is some good building blocks for the future.
    Keldon and Luka developing that Tobi and Bobi chemistry would be awesome. Samanic's body and game are much better suited to the league than Boban's too.

Thread Information