Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no room for his position on the team. Should have traded the pick instead of throwing it away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guard is a sneaky need on the team, so I'm not distraught they drafted one. But I just don't know if PATFO will move on from some other guards to ever make this pick make sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope the Spurs just trade Forbes, Belinelli and Bertans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no room for his position on the team. Should have traded the pick instead of throwing it away.
    Doesn't mean there won't be in a couple years. Things change fast in this league. Develop him in Austin in case you need him down the road. You never know.

Besides, these mid to late 2nd round picks are all long shots anyways.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We got Derozan, Patty, Marco. Drafted Dejounte, White, Lonnie, and now Quinndary....

Where the did this Guard fetish come from?
    You forgot Bryn Forbes and Keldon Johnson. Maybe small ball is the future of basketball?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A no name undersized shooting guard. Worst draft in years.
    Oh yeah? I’m thinking you r gonna end up being very wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    VanFleet 2.0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like the 10th 6'4" combo guard in the past 15 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stutters and does not make eye contact. Hmmm

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A guy from the Ringer said multiple front office people and scouts called Weatherspoon the sleeper of the draft. Assuming he’s a two way contract, seems like a nice dart throw at 49.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Charles spider smith 2.0

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A no name undersized shooting guard. Worst draft in years.
    #49 may be iffy, but overall a great (stellar) draft. Best in years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jay Bilas seemed to like him when we selected him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #49 may be iffy, but overall a great (stellar) draft. Best in years.
    Given the volume of whining on here, probably so. After the 30th straight year in the playoffs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You forgot Bryn Forbes and Keldon Johnson. Maybe small ball is the future of basketball?
    Uhh i even forgot about forbes lol.

You do realize Small Ball doesn't mean playing smaller guys right? Small Ball means playing a lineup of Players between 6'5" - 6'9", the only Player in Small Ball lineup allowed to be below 6'5" is your Point Guard.

Except for Luka, Bertans, KJ, All our Young drafted Players are literally all 6'5" and below. That's not Small Ball, thats Small Small Ball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Steal

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ref with the Joey Crawford block call.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ref with the Joey Crawford block call.
    I wish more refs did like that. Like that one umpire who cry out when there was a strike out.

They're old men. Let them have some fun, I say.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weatherspoon’s stock rose even more with a (very) strong showing during the Portsmouth Invitational — a pre-draft event focused on seniors — but, prior to that, his play under the bright lights helped quite a bit. During his senior year, Weatherspoon averaged 18.5 points, 4.7 rebounds and 1.7 steals per game and he did so with 62 percent true shooting and impressive overall efficiency. It is certainly worth keeping in mind that Weatherspoon will turn 23 years old before ever appearing in an NBA game, which could account for some of that growth, but he was legitimately impressive over the course of the full season against high-level compe ion.

As an athlete, Weatherspoon has impressive tools. He boasts a 6’9 wingspan (measured in Portsmouth) to go along with real fluidity and a solid level of explosiveness. He also carries his 210-pound frame well, turning that into power when given the opportunity, and Weatherspoon maximizes his tools with a strong motor.Offensively, Weatherspoon carried a usage rate that was probably too high during his first three seasons but, with the way he played as a senior, his 26.1 percent usage was appropriately robust. He converted 40 percent of his three-point attempts during his fourth season (37 percent for his career) and, given the relatively difficulty of some of those efforts, that is an encouraging figure.Weatherspoon isn’t preternaturally gifted as a creator for others, as evidenced by only 2.8 assists per game, but he can function as a pick-and-roll operator when asked to do so. In the NBA, Weatherspoon profiles as an off-ball player for the most part but, given what he was able to do in Starkville, he could ease into a secondary ball-handling role without too much hesitation.

Defensively, there is a lot to like about Weatherspoon’s game, as he uses his strong, lengthy frame effectively. It would be fair to assume that he won’t be a full-on game-changer on that end of the floor but, when combined with the likelihood of a reduced offensive role, Weatherspoon’s tools could play up and he is an intriguing talent as a result.

From an overall standpoint, Weatherspoon’s primary value is that he takes very little, if anything, off the table as a prospect. He had a tendency to shoot the ball too often during the early stages of his college career but, in the league, that likely wouldn’t be an issue with role development, and his “3-and-D” archetype makes a ton of sense, particularly as multi-position en y on both ends of the floor.
    The looming factor is age, with Weatherspoon already 22 years old, but that is less of a factor in a second-round pick than it would be for someone drafted in the top half of round one. From the perspective of the Hawks, Weatherspoon would seemingly be a snug fit, as the front office enjoys players that can fill it up from distance while also being able to dribble and pass. Weatherspoon can do all three to varying degrees and, when combined with his potentially stout defensive profile, there is a lot to like in the second round.

Between now and late June, it can’t be emphasized enough that the Hawks may not use all three of their second-round selections and, as such, the pool of talent in view with those picks may shrink. At the moment, however, the theory of Quinndary Weatherspoon would make some sense for the Hawks in the 40’s as a gap-filling role player that could, with some development, function in an NBA rotation.

Did you write that or clip it? Because it's pretty dead-on. I said this in the draft thread, but he kicked ass in Portsmouth, and that is exactly where the Spurs got sold on Derrick White. He's a solid, willing defender. And he has a really nice shooting stroke. I think he'll need a year in Austin, but I really believe he can be a 40% 3P shooter. If the Spurs are worried about being able to keep Forbes after his contract is up, Weatherspoon could be a decent replacement. I think he's a better defender than Forbes was. He looked pretty good moving with the ball, but I think NBA defenders are going to pick his pocket just like they do with Forbes - but that part is a wash. He's taller and much heavier than Forbes was when he first came to SA.

He's not a bad pick for 49 at all. If the Spurs hadn't taken him, I would be on here tomorrow talking about him as a UFA that the Spurs need to think about bringing in. I know the Spurs need wings, but the likelihood of stumbling onto a serviceable wing at 49 is pretty close to nil. Might as well draft Forbes insurance.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see him getting a 2WC while proving himself in the G-League. Worthy to note Forbes is on the final year of his contract so they might be holding tryouts for Forbes's slot, given teams are seeing him as a serviceable shooter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we haven't had a relevant second round pick since dejuan blair/nando de colo a decade ago. not worth over-analyzing this pick tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we haven't had a relevant second round pick since dejuan blair/nando de colo a decade ago. not worth over-analyzing this pick tbh.
    Bertans doesn't count?

Thread Information