Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Spurs didn't draft their main targets but were more than happy with what they got.
    Probably they had hope to trade up to take Hachimura who was probably their main target based just on consistency (I don't buy they were targeting Cam Johnson) and probably they preferred by a bit Doumbaya and Bitadze over Samanic, but the first went too high drafted and they had no chance to a deal for n° 9, and the others were seen quite just as an alternative to Luka (that was a better fit) as stretch bigs, but only by little.
    The fact that they had KJ high considered as a sf is enough to call the draft a success.
    I'm just sorry they did not draft Roby (that they scouted and nauseam and was my favourite to take based on 3 and d potential) with the second round...but probably with Luka already drafted he has been considered redundant and not worth on spending any asset to improve the second round draft position...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just sorry they did not draft Roby
    I was hoping for Roby too. I believe in the developmental capabilities of the Spurs and think he would have grown into a solid starter with him and the coaching put together. I wonder how many guys would have been much better players or ended up not even making it in the league due to the luck of the draw and being drafted by a team that does not develop players as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skinny Euro looks 50/50 bust / make it to me.

Hoping the Spurs have some development insight.

Hope it's not another 4 years just good enough to stay on roster but no where near Champ contributor material.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Defense will be his calling card like with any other rookie under Pop. Play good D and you might get playing time. I expect him to be Austin bound though
    Why can't that be Pop's mantra for veteran players too?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched his films to see how he moves on the court because its easy to pick out shots that go in the basket for a highlight film. But moving around the basket and up and down the court with some fluidity is pretty rare for a guy 6'11". Looks like he has a good first step and the ability to pivot when deep. Much better at this and ball handling than Bertans. If he develops a pretty good 3 shot with some consistency he will be a good all around offensive player.

That same good footwork and reaction time will be a great asset on defense out on the perimeter. I'd like to see if he can play at SF in some matchups.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why can't that be Pop's mantra for veteran players too?
    he has to play them to justify the re ed contract he gave to them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched his films to see how he moves on the court because its easy to pick out shots that go in the basket for a highlight film. But moving around the basket and up and down the court with some fluidity is pretty rare for a guy 6'11". Looks like he has a good first step and the ability to pivot when deep. Much better at this and ball handling than Bertans. If he develops a pretty good 3 shot with some consistency he will be a good all around offensive player.

That same good footwork and reaction time will be a great asset on defense out on the perimeter. I'd like to see if he can play at SF in some matchups.
    Yeah I think Samanic is our SF whenever the matchup allows (bigger wings) then back to Johnson whenever theyre not so big.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, if the Spurs scouted him and saw more athletic Miorotic and still drafted him, I'd be damn worried. Like crazy worried.

I'm hoping for Croatian KD but I'll be pretty damn happy if he can be close to as good as Lauri Markannen was last year in a year or two.

Lol Kevin Durant? Good god guys it’s the 19th pick. If anything I’ve been told they see Kristaps Porzingis.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Spurs didn't draft their main targets but were more than happy with what they got.
    Probably they had hope to trade up to take Hachimura who was probably their main target based just on consistency (I don't buy they were targeting Cam Johnson) and probably they preferred by a bit Doumbaya and Bitadze over Samanic, but the first went too high drafted and they had no chance to a deal for n° 9, and the others were seen quite just as an alternative to Luka (that was a better fit) as stretch bigs, but only by little.
    The fact that they had KJ high considered as a sf is enough to call the draft a success.
    I'm just sorry they did not draft Roby (that they scouted and nauseam and was my favourite to take based on 3 and d potential) with the second round...but probably with Luka already drafted he has been considered redundant and not worth on spending any asset to improve the second round draft position...

Theres a reason Rui went 9th is all I’ll say.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luak Samanic.

Let's be honest. Does a 2023-2024 starting lineup of White, Murray, Walker, Samanic and Poeltl sound like a team making a run for a championship? Do they even make the playoffs?
    Every one of those guys projects to be a quality starter they don't necessarily come across as a championship Contender at this point they do come across as a playoff team in all likelihood. Wyatt they really seem like just from the way things look to project out is that all of them are slightly above replacement level pieces at their respective positions and while I don't know about Samick cuz I haven't seen him play as of yet each of them seems poised to be one of those guys whose name is in contention to be a All-Star every year but probably only makes one or two over the course of a 8 to 12 year career in the NBA. When you are drafting people like that and especially in their first or second year you expect 1 in 5 or 1 in 7 to end up being more than that as a player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every one of those guys projects to be a quality starter they don't necessarily come across as a championship Contender at this point they do come across as a playoff team in all likelihood. Wyatt they really seem like just from the way things look to project out is that all of them are slightly above replacement level pieces at their respective positions and while I don't know about Samick cuz I haven't seen him play as of yet each of them seems poised to be one of those guys whose name is in contention to be a All-Star every year but probably only makes one or two over the course of a 8 to 12 year career in the NBA. When you are drafting people like that and especially in their first or second year you expect 1 in 5 or 1 in 7 to end up being more than that as a player.
    The point about "quality starter" is well taken - and the entire problem. There are NO teams winning championships w/ 5 or even 7 or 8 quality starters only. This is a SUPERSTAR league. Maybe Samanic turns out to be KD Jr., White turns into Danny Green w/ better handles and Walker is Kawhi Jr. None of that is good enough to win a chip. None of that will be good enough to get out of the 1st round.

This team needs TWO of these guys to turn into All-NBA players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    after hearing jabari young say that samanic was a reach at 19, i'm more convinced that the spurs made a solid pick with luka at 19.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point about "quality starter" is well taken - and the entire problem. There are NO teams winning championships w/ 5 or even 7 or 8 quality starters only. This is a SUPERSTAR league. Maybe Samanic turns out to be KD Jr., White turns into Danny Green w/ better handles and Walker is Kawhi Jr. None of that is good enough to win a chip. None of that will be good enough to get out of the 1st round.

This team needs TWO of these guys to turn into All-NBA players.
    Spurs did in 2014. No superstars. The Warriors are dead, and the league is wide open.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs did in 2014. No superstars. The Warriors are dead, and the league is wide open.
    Detroit in ?2006? is a much better example. In 2014 we had 3 guys who could put out an MVP level performance on any given night - Tim, Manu, Kawhi. None of them could do it every night, but on any given night, we had a shot at one or more MVP performances...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t buy that SA didn’t get their guy. There were so many trades that it was obvious that if SA really wanted someone (especially someone like Goga) they could have EASILY moved up to get that person.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn’t Spurs take a flyer on Bol Bol? I think buying a 40+ pick is relatively easy. I know there is a slim chance he is in the league in 3-4 years, but the upside was worth it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn’t Spurs take a flyer on Bol Bol? I think buying a 40+ pick is relatively easy. I know there is a slim chance he is in the league in 3-4 years, but the upside was worth it

I read there his "group" was difficult to deal with. I think after dealing with another player's group like that they didnt want to take any chances.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How about signing Jontay Porter to a G League contract and see what he looks like after rehab. It is very low risk and the Spurs evidently had interest in him last year. In 2 years you likely cut him loose because it didn't pan out, but you could have a quality big for next to nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol Kevin Durant? Good god guys it’s the 19th pick. If anything I’ve been told they see Kristaps Porzingis.
    Plus, I think a really athletic Mirotic is a VERY good player.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I read there his "group" was difficult to deal with. I think after dealing with another player's group like that they didnt want to take any chances.
    Then it’s an understandable pass, don’t want to deal any more divas with groups. Damn I miss the Big 3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How about signing Jontay Porter to a G League contract and see what he looks like after rehab. It is very low risk and the Spurs evidently had interest in him last year. In 2 years you likely cut him loose because it didn't pan out, but you could have a quality big for next to nothing.
    After rehab is pretty much after the g-league season is over. He blew his ACL in March, and it's a one year recovery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus, I think a really athletic Mirotic is a VERY good player.
    Yes, it is!

If he turns out like that......then he is a good NBA player

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t buy that SA didn’t get their guy. There were so many trades that it was obvious that if SA really wanted someone (especially someone like Goga) they could have EASILY moved up to get that person.
    Don Harris made that strangely specific tweet on draft day, saying the Spurs were looking to trade Bertans + 19 to move up to the 13-16 range. Assume he knew something - what would that mean?

1. They were looking for someone that they expected to go in the 13-16 range.
    2. Getting rid of Bertans means that whoever it was had to be a 3P shooter.
    3. They either couldn't get a deal done, or their guy went higher than 13.

I agree with you that the Spurs could have easily moved up to get Bitadze, if they really coveted him. I agree 100%. Especially since he was still there at 18 (and Doumbouya was there at 15). What they couldn't do was swing a deal all the way up to 11.

The Spurs couldn't afford to be without a legitimate 3P threat in the New NBA. Losing Bertans would make it absolutely necessary that they have a dependable 3P shooter in the bag - they couldn't risk being without it. I don't think Samanic is a good enough 3P threat to risk (yet) to risk losing Bertans. So I don't think they were trying to trade up to get to Samanic. They wanted him, I'm sure of that. But he's not the one they were trying to use 19 + Bertans to get.

Put it all together, and it pretty much points to Cam Johnson. They thought he would go somewhere around 13-16, and he was the best 3P shooter in the draft. Harris' tweet also said that the Spurs were looking to package 29 + ? to get up to 20-24. I think that was about getting both Johnson and Samanic. Imagine what a draft night coup that would have been. Trading Bertans for Johnson's 3P shooting, plus Samanic who we've discussed to death elsewhere. In addition to the two players, the trades would have fixed the roster spot problem.

When Johnson dropped at 11, they just took the other player they wanted at 19. That's not a knock on Samanic, just recognizing that a knock-down 3P shooter is a top priority for a lot of teams. Maybe Harris made the whole thing up, or quoted a bad source, but that one had the ring of truth - even TIMVP commented on draft night that the tweet was strangely specific.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Skinny Boban. He's not as slow as Boban, but he's even more raw. If he manages to live up to his hype, it will take pretty much the whole rookie contract period to get him there, if not longer. My opinion - we'll know soon enough.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After rehab is pretty much after the g-league season is over. He blew his ACL in March, and it's a one year recovery.
    And then probably a year in Austin to see where his skills are at, thus the 2 years.

Thread Information