Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good writeup, top to bottom. The one thing I'll say is about most late second rounders not making NBA squads. Bryn Forbes went undrafted. You can fill in the rest on that thought.

Just before the draft, Don Harris put out a VERY specific tween that the Spurs were looking to trade 19 + Bertans for a higher pick... AND that they were looking to trade 29 + ? to move up their second pick. Not either/or, but both.

The Spurs know they have to have 3P shooters on the team. So who did they want up above badly enough to get rid of Bertans, who is one of their 3P threats (like it or not)? Nobody better at knocking them down in this draft than Cam Johnson. Looking at the range Harris predicted, I think they expected Johnson to be available somewhere around 14 or 15, but not at 19. The problem with that, I think, is that they also wanted Samanic and didn't think he would be there at 29. (He wouldn't have.) So they were willing to sacrifice another player along with 29 to move up enough to get him. So when Johnson dropped at 11, they just took the other player they really wanted (Samanic) at 19. Maybe it was a few spots early for him, maybe it wasn't. But he was one of their two guys, and they got him.

I'm glad they didn't trade up and get Cam Johnson, and then someone took Samanic before they could get him. Because then the Spurs would have drafted Johnson & Johnson.
    I also think Cam Johnson was their target. But now that I'm thinking about it, it seems that Keldon is the better pick. Cam might be the best shooter in the draft, but he's also 23 and he only had better stats than Keldon last season. So Keldon Johnson at 19 is basically on the level of a 22-year old Cam Johnson already, while also being the better defender

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    European basketball is just so much more physical than the NBA right now.
    Damn, really? I might need to start watching Euro ball, then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's gonna suck watching beli and mills get smoked on D while Johnson is practicing in Austin.
    this tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good writeup, top to bottom. The one thing I'll say is about most late second rounders not making NBA squads. Bryn Forbes went undrafted. You can fill in the rest on that thought.

Just before the draft, Don Harris put out a VERY specific tween that the Spurs were looking to trade 19 + Bertans for a higher pick... AND that they were looking to trade 29 + ? to move up their second pick. Not either/or, but both.

The Spurs know they have to have 3P shooters on the team. So who did they want up above badly enough to get rid of Bertans, who is one of their 3P threats (like it or not)? Nobody better at knocking them down in this draft than Cam Johnson. Looking at the range Harris predicted, I think they expected Johnson to be available somewhere around 14 or 15, but not at 19. The problem with that, I think, is that they also wanted Samanic and didn't think he would be there at 29. (He wouldn't have.) So they were willing to sacrifice another player along with 29 to move up enough to get him. So when Johnson dropped at 11, they just took the other player they really wanted (Samanic) at 19. Maybe it was a few spots early for him, maybe it wasn't. But he was one of their two guys, and they got him.

I'm glad they didn't trade up and get Cam Johnson, and then someone took Samanic before they could get him. Because then the Spurs would have drafted Johnson & Johnson.
    The Nets and 76ers had an interest in Samanic:

https://www.ridiculousupside.com/201...c-from-croatia

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/sixe...-20190614.html

Not likely that he would have been available at #29.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great stuff timvp. Starting to warm up to the Luka pick. Wish Johnson was taller, but I think he is young enough that he might grow an inch or two taller and be a valuable role player for us for a long time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at first, i was a bit put off by the fact that the spurs took samanic at 19 but it was pretty obvious that they were certain he wouldn't be there at 29 and they were clearly enamored with his high ceiling and set of skills. some will argue that little was available, or clarke, but i think the spurs had more concerns about little than samanic and didn't think the high floor/low ceiling assessment of clarke was worth that pick. so, i'm okay with it. i was happy with the spurs acquisition of johnson at 29. that was great value for that spot. and part of me wanted the spurs to gamble on porter at 49, but i guess those knees are a major red flag. if the spurs turn their 1st rounders into solid NBA players while continuing to build up their current youth, then i think it would solidify them at the best team in the league when it comes to talent assessment and development. which, when you're a small market team and not a traditional player in the free agent market, can be your only viable path towards a le. ST posters will do their usual ing and moaning from their vantage point as armchair GMs. but there's no way any one can emphatically state that any other picks would have been definitively better.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    When does the summer league start?
    July 1.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta hope Samanic turns into Andrej Kirilenko. A guy who stuffs the stat sheet in all areas. That's the potential I see in him and if he indeed turns into that type of player the Spurs struck gold. I can see them going after Bogdanovic to mentor Luka. Croatians are usually very close with their fellow countrymen, so I think that would help his development a lot. Although I can't see how we're able to land Bojan.

Johnson is a solid 3-and-D guy who lives in the gym. At his age he has a lot of room for improvement, so he might even exceed expectations depending on what he can add to his game.

I'd love for them both to get spot minutes on the team next season, but the G-League should also help them as they both are not really supreme passers. Getting to know the plays that are being run and to make the right play, know which spot your team mates will be in and occassionally handle the ball in pick and roll situations should benefit their games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed, I don't see why Luka can't contribute right away next year if he has a good summer league and training camp.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Salt Lake City July 1
    Las Vegas July 5

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CIA Pop on Samanic? If Samanic stays on the roster and does not snif G League then I think we found our answer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka-a pit bull on defense? Or is that a KJ ref?
    That was a KJ reference. I’m just hoping Luka isn’t as bad as Belli on defense tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's two different "summer leagues" this year.

The Salt Lake City Summer League is from July 1st to 3rd. It's four teams playing six games. Teams are the Jazz, Spurs, Grizzlies and Cavaliers.

The NBA Summer League is from July 5th to 15th in Vegas. All 30 teams will participate, also Team China and Team Croatia.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think an underrated skill of his is Lukas passing, Ive seen some highlights of him with some nifty no look passes, he has really good mismatch potential once he gets stronger.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huh. You mean the Spurs didn’t just have the worst draft of all time?

Der Willis der Spurs wird siegen! FlAVaK's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, really? I might need to start watching Euro ball, then.
    Game 4 of Spanish Finals (Barca-Real) starts right now...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think an underrated skill of his is Lukas passing, Ive seen some highlights of him with some nifty no look passes, he has really good mismatch potential once he gets stronger.
    the good thing is he already got stronger. Added about 15 pounds already

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice write up, thanks! Looks to me like the Spurs are doing a good job of assembling a bunch of net-positive type players, which I think is exactly the route to go in their situation. There's no first or second team all NBA player on this squad right now, but if they can somehow acquire (or develop) one in the next few years, the supporting cast will be ready to go.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    , introduce him to Saturday morning Big Red and Barbacoa and he will have no problem gaining weight.
    Last edited by Dr. John R. Brinkley; 06-21-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well then I’m pretty excited about him, this summer league is going to be fun since he’s going to be playing along with our other draftees, I’m just wondering what position he’ll be playing, I think he can legitimately play on the perimeter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How Samanic compared with the bust TJ Leaf as a player?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really wanted Nic to I loved his defense but I also had Johnson possibility going to us at 19 so I guess I gotta trust in RC.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest post-draft question -- would the Spurs have taken Goga at 19 over Samanic (if Goga hadn't gone one pick earlier)?

I know it doesn't matter now but I'm curious.

Any inside info from the Spurs on this?
    Yes.

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...=1#post9847834

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way thats worded i wouldnt say the Spurs were truly into getting him. Some of yall too naive man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as long as goga doesnt become great im good with luka

Thread Information