View Poll Results: Who should the Spurs sign for the mid-level?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Al Farouq Aminu

30 20.27%
  • DeMarre Carroll

18 12.16%
  • Marcus Morris

30 20.27%
  • Nikola Mirotic

18 12.16%
  • Reggie Bullock

4 2.70%
  • Rodney Hood

12 8.11%
  • Taj Gibson

3 2.03%
  • Trevor Ariza

10 6.76%
  • Wilson Chandler

7 4.73%
  • Other

16 10.81%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't deserve more than standard rookie scale deal!
    Who he is to ask for part of the mle?
    He's a guy who's going to get more than the rookie scale in europe if he stays, that's who he is to ask for part of the MLE. He's not a slave; he's not required to come play for us in the NBA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not bound by rookie scale anymore, he and his agent would be stupid not to ask four at least quadruple his starting rookie scale or else it's not worth it for him.
    He is a top 3 center in euroleague, with is way better than NCAA.

i’m not sure he will succeed in the nba but he is a capable back up and as pad300 tell you he has a 3 millions per year offer from Barcelona so he will not come here for less.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

i’m not sure he will succeed in the nba but he is a capable back up and as pad300 tell you he has a 3 millions per year offer from Barcelona so he will not come here for less.
    I was thinking that he would want something starting at about $5 million over 3 years that is an overpay from the perspective that Centers are a dime a dozen but he could fill a role as a backup center going forward.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I was thinking that he would want something starting at about $5 million over 3 years that is an overpay from the perspective that Centers are a dime a dozen but he could fill a role as a backup center going forward.
    Remember that Euro contracts are typically given in post-tax dollars, which is to say 3M/ year is ~ 5M/year in the NBA. Which might be a overpay for what he brings to the table... but maybe the Spurs see something more?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His best role is as a slug in Europe going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not bound by rookie scale anymore, he and his agent would be stupid not to ask four at least quadruple his starting rookie scale or else it's not worth it for him.
    Huh? That's more than $8 Million a season. That's way, way more than he's ever likely to make in Europe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's a guy who's going to get more than the rookie scale in europe if he stays, that's who he is to ask for part of the MLE. He's not a slave; he's not required to come play for us in the NBA.
    i don't care about what he's bound or not bound, he is a limited and role player in europ, not some big talent, if he just about the money and dosen't have passion to come to nba to earn first rookie scale contract and prove himself spurs should tell him off!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't make sense for us. He's duplicating services of Jakob and we shouldn't be paying him more than Jakob for what he'll be offering us. It doesn't seem like he's a great fit right now and by the time we're ready it'll be to late. Maybe we should explore trading his rights away to a team who needs his skills and has the cap room for him. Better to get something for him while we still can...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huh? That's more than $8 Million a season. That's way, way more than he's ever likely to make in Europe.
    I was actually referring to his cap hold of $1.4 million that would be $5.5 million. I think he'd ask for $5.0-$5.5 million to start if he were to come over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i don't care about what he's bound or not bound, he is a limited and role player in europ, not some big talent, if he just about the money and dosen't have passion to come to nba to earn first rookie scale contract and prove himself spurs should tell him off!
    Most jobs are just about the money tbh, he's 24 and you want him to sign a 4 year deal that would take him to the age of 28 before he hits RFA. No way he does that, and he shouldn't be blamed for not doing that. He is a good starter on an decent team, he has reasons to want that much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was actually referring to his cap hold of $1.4 million that would be $5.5 million. I think he'd ask for $5.0-$5.5 million to start if he were to come over.
    I'm thinking $4 Million per year. He might make more over the next three years in Europe, but that's very close to his cap there. If he plays well after three years in the NBA and has access to the full market, he may get more than that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Milutinov is the solution. With Poeltl and Aldridge in place you'd want a stretch 5 as the 3rd guy. Somebody who can knock down 3-pointers to give the team more versatility like a Kaminsky

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Milutinov is the solution. With Poeltl and Aldridge in place you'd want a stretch 5 as the 3rd guy. Somebody who can knock down 3-pointers to give the team more versatility like a Kaminsky
    Exactly. We dont need more strict centers. Probably Nikola Mirotic is available too

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. We dont need more strict centers. Probably Nikola Mirotic is available too
    I suspect he gets more than the MLE...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most jobs are just about the money tbh, he's 24 and you want him to sign a 4 year deal that would take him to the age of 28 before he hits RFA. No way he does that, and he shouldn't be blamed for not doing that. He is a good starter on an decent team, he has reasons to want that much.
    He is not worth for us to not using the rookie scale on him, spurs should also not be blame he didn't want to come over before the age of 24 and he just not special enough to deserve more, so the ball is in his side, if he has aspiration to come over and prove himself at that level take a discount if that what it is...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I may agree with you about mulitinov but I wish we had someone who can also protect the rim, hustle for rebounds... not just a guy who is a threat outside.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I may agree with you about mulitinov but I wish we had someone who can also protect the rim, hustle for rebounds... not just a guy who is a threat outside.
    Willie Reed?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could this be the year Adam Hanga comes over?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s been pretty quiet on the free agency front for the spurs usually there’s all kinds of rumors that the spurs are interested in this guy and this guy etc.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs may not make a move in FA and just go forward. Preserving the MLE for any buyouts later on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought the Nikola in the pool was ours. Didn't realize it was the FA one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Marcus Morris option 1

If not, one of Carroll, Ariza or Aminu.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RHJ used to be an underrated option but he regressed to garbage status and he's not that much of an option any more. Thaddeus Young is a very good defender but awful beyong belief offensively. If Morris wasn't a tool i would go with him. Mirotic is another guy but he's a 4. I don't see any realistic option for the mle thats worth considering for the 3 spot. I don't like some of the guys in the poll and the rest of them are not realistic.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't think there's a single "solution". It's important to have an inside presence, and a few big enough bodies to defend the monsters. I think they have to have one more. Milutinov is a terrible shooter outside the low blocks, but he's a pretty good roll man, decent rebounder, and gets a lot of points around the basket. All useful stuff, if he's used right.

Kaminsky is an interesting example, because he's almost the exact opposite. He doesn't rebound for , couldn't post up Bryn Forbes, and doesn't seem interested in the PnR. But he can shoot. I know he shot 38% from 3P this year, but that's way better than he ever shot it before. If he reverts to 32%-33%, that's not enough to keep defenders honest - except maybe on the nights he's especially hot. He's a big who's not a big, and a 3P shooter who wouldn't be considered a 3P shooter if he wasn't a big.

I think the Spurs need two players (big insurance and a 3&D wing), and they don't have two roster spots. So it looks to me like they're going to have to trade either Bertans or Belli and throw in one of their young prospects to sweeten the deal. That 2-for-1 trade would open up a roster spot.

They can't afford a top tier player in his prime, so they either have to take an aging vet who isn't what he used to be, or try to find someone they think is going to overachieve on a new team.
    Mirotic is out of their price range. Ariza is well past his prime. Off that list above, maybe Reggie Bullock checks enough boxes, is young, and might be available for the MLE.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kaminsky was just an example. If I say a 3-point shooting C that doesn't mean that that is his only skill. You obviously want somebody who can do all the other things a Center has to do, but the budget is limited

Thread Information