Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the opening bell of free agency a week away, it appears as if the Spurs are destined for one of the NBA's quieter offseasons. After selecting three players in the draft -- two of which, Luka Samanic and Keldon Johnson, are sure to make the final roster -- and what appears to be the inevitable re-signing of Rudy Gay, San Antonio's roster is at or near capacity.

However, despite the apparent calm waters, there are a few major question marks bubbling beneath the surface. The first question that needs answered involves DeMar DeRozan and the possibility of the Spurs extending his contract.

Currently, DeRozan is on the books for $27.7 million next season. The following season, he holds a player option for another $27.7 million. If DeRozan doesn't pick up his option, he would become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

The Argument For Extending DeRozan's Contract

While it's clear DeRozan isn't a superstar who can carry his team to a championship single-handedly, he's still a borderline All-Star who can conceivably make an All-NBA team for a third time before his career comes to an end. He's not Kawhi Leonard, as Spurs fans know all too well, but he's a player who holds quite a bit of value.

The maximum the Spurs can offer DeRozan this summer is $149.1 million in a four-year extension that would run through the 2023-24 season. While a sizeable chunk of change, it actually represents a discount compared to the $174.6 million he could command next summer if he opts out and signs a max contract with a new team.

If the Spurs offer DeRozan that extension, he'd be hard-pressed to pass it up. The soon to be 30-year-old could lock in another gargantuan payday, while San Antonio could point to a potential savings of more than $25 million -- the difference between the extension and matching a max offer next summer.

The Spurs could also point to DeRozan's organizational fit as another motivating factor for extending his contract. While the four-time All-Star disappointed on the court at times last season, he was a seamless fit off the court and was regarded as a good influence on the team's youngsters.

An additional motivating factor for San Antonio would be the saving of face. The Leonard trade will go down as one of the most lopsided in the history of the sport; the annals of history won't clearly recall the countless mitigating factors that were working against the Spurs last summer. Having a player who can put up 20 points, six assists and six rebounds to show for Toronto's heist is more consoling than pointing at Jakob Poeltl as the eventual return.

Should The Spurs Do It?

DeRozan is a good player. He's a good guy, too, by all accounts.

That said, I think it'd be absolutely the wrong move to extend his contract. As productive as DeRozan can be (and was last season), there's never been proof that he helps a team win basketball games. His on-off numbers suggested the Raptors were always better when he was on the bench, even when he was racking up All-Star and All-NBA awards. In his first season in San Antonio, the phenomenon repeated itself, as the Spurs were five points better per 100 possessions with DeRozan on the bench than with DeRozan on the court. (That number ed in the postseason to an unholy 25.8 points better with DeRozan on the bench.)

Additionally, with the wrong side of 30 quickly approaching, the Spurs would be purchasing the post-prime portion of DeRozan's career with the extension. Statistically, I look at two areas when estimating whether a player is losing athleticism: field goal percentage on shots at the rim and free throw rate.

While DeRozan's finishing percentage at the rim was very good in his first season with the Spurs, there was a concerning crash in his free throw rate. He averaged only 5.9 free throw attempts per 100 possessions, his lowest number in six seasons. That rate represents a 20% drop from his previous season and a 34% drop from his peak season. Considering DeRozan doesn't have a perimeter game to fall back on, any sign of diminished ability to successfully attack the rim is cause for concern.

What Will The Spurs Do?

I believe they will swallow their pride and not offer DeRozan a contract extension. I trust they know he isn't enough of a difference-maker to justify the extension.

In theory, the Spurs could offer DeRozan less than a max extension. But I don't see a middle ground that could be reached that would make sense for both sides. Even if, for example, the Spurs offer him $100 million over four years -- that is unlikely to work for either side.

For DeRozan, that would be a pay cut and he could reasonably conclude he can fetch more than that in the open market. For the Spurs, that's still too much to invest in a player who is annually a net negative from the perspective of on-off numbers.

For those who paid attention last season, I think there were some subtle hints that the Spurs don't necessarily see DeRozan as a long-term fit. First of all and most clearly, Pop wasn't bashful about stating on record that Derrick White was the team's second most important player behind LaMarcus Aldridge. That wasn't a purposeful shot at DeRozan, I don't think ... but it was the cold, unadulterated truth.

Secondly, Pop never seemed to push DeRozan too hard or react negatively when DeRozan picked up any of his team-high 11 technical fouls (or when he got ejected from a playoff game for tossing the ball at a ref, for that matter). Kid gloves for his first season or indifference for a temporary piece? Time will tell.

And, let's remember, there is precedence. Once upon a time, Derek Anderson was a similar player to DeRozan with similar standing in the league. Instead of overpaying a player who didn't do much to impact winning but could certainly produce numbers, the Spurs artfully dodged the bullet that was his eventual payday.

So, What Should The Spurs Do About DeRozan's Extension?

Nothing. I don't even think it's necessary to offer him an extension. Let DeRozan play out this season and see how it goes. If he suddenly figures out how to positively impact play, then the Spurs can consider doing something contractually next summer.

Between now and then, the picture will get a lot clearer. Not only will the Spurs have a better read on DeRozan, they will also -- more importantly -- have a better read on their up-and-coming perimeter players, namely Derrick White, Dejounte Murray and Lonnie Walker IV.

Can White be a long-term point guard? Can he be relied upon to space the floor as a shooter? Is Murray a point guard or shooting guard? Can he coexist with White? Can Murray and Walker stay healthy? Just how high is Walker's ceiling? These answers and more will be a lot closer to answered a year from now.

In the meantime, DeRozan remains a useful piece to the puzzle. With him around, White, Murray and Walker won't have to bite off more than they're ready to chew next season. And there remains a chance that DeRozan improves during his second season in San Antonio, as has become custom around these parts.

Should The Trade DeRozan?

If the Spurs aren't going to extend DeRozan, they have to at least consider trading him. What kind of player could they get in return? If they trade him to a team that is willing to absorb him into cap space, how does that impact what the Spurs can do in free agency this summer? What teams could be interested in him? Up next, I will investigate the possibilities.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No extension, but don’t salary dump. Try and get a Bradley Beal or see if Boston wants him since they’re desperate for guards now as well, guards who run offenses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t extend. Try to negotiate a rate both can live with or trade. Realistically what are his options? (I hadn’t thought of the Boston situation. That might work.). Front Office please don’t ruin the future by going with this guy as your top paid player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please dear god trade his ass

My Team
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Post Count
    Salary dump him; but whoever takes him has to take Mills and Belinelli too. Would rather have Brogdon (a 50 40 90 guy) for 25MM for the next 4 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the most lopsided trades in the history of sports

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please dear god trade his ass

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s amazing how Demar went from being better than Kawhi to trading him lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see a good trade tbh.
    Probably we just roll with DeMar for a year and not offer him an extension.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he plays like last season, he will opt in and we are ed for two years (three, actually). he will be untradeable.
    if he plays well, he still opts in because nobody will offer him that kind of money anyway, but at least we might find somebody willing to trade for him next summer.

If we find a trade for him by some sort of miracle, or some reincarnation of SAC previous front office somewhere else, please dear god make PATFO go for it.

What a pity, the guy has a couple moves absolutely deadly, could still be a real force in the NBA. Obviously he is not mentally equipped for it, and absurdly stubborn -if Lopez could turn around his game at his age in such a positive way....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IF THE SPURS DONT EXTEND HIM FOR 150 MILLION THIS SUMMER, THEY PROBABLY DONT GIVE HIM THE 175 MILLION...AND HE PROBABLY WALKS FOR NOTHING...I THINK A TRADE IS THE ONLY OPTION, PAYING HIM 40 MILLION AT AGE 33 AND 34....TRADE HIM!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasnt there an "insider" here that said we wont extend him and that "dont be surprised if hes traded"?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    would you trade him for Wiggins and a first Minny pick next year? I know Minny already refused that trade some time ago, but now looks like they are hardly shopping Wiggins...and probably that's the only trade that could guarantee us some chance at lottery talent going forward...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    would you trade him for Wiggins and a first Minny pick next year? I know Minny already refused that trade some time ago, but now looks like they are hardly shopping Wiggins...and probably that's the only trade that could guarantee us some chance at lottery talent going forward...
    Wiggins’ ass is more worthless than DD.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be shocked if the Spurs extend DeRozan this summer. Especially for someone with a below average defensive abilities and no 3pt shot. Further, the Spurs already have a pretty good idea on what they have in Murray, White & Walker so next season we'll see why they are so high on the trio. Also, they asked Walker to put on significant amount of weight this summer probably so he can spend time at the 3 spot.

Lastly, another question is will the Spurs trade DeRozan this summer or during next season? I think we will be contending next year with the rise of Murray and Walker so it's something they will need to carefully navigate. It probably makes more sense to trade him this summer and try to get another borderline all-star that fits the team better like the rumored interest in Bojan Bogdanović.

Either way, I'm really high on all our young guys and RC has done a masterful job infusing the team with young talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA gave spurs a big discount despite asking for a trade. I can see Spurs giving DD that type of money.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like every Spurs star before him, he should take a discount!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading him or letting him go would mean PATFO made a mistake in the trade. They won’t do it, maybe Demar leaves in FA next year. I’ve been bracing myself for the extensions. I can see them extending two of Demar, LMA, Dejounte this summer. They like Demar and about to double down on this squad.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA gave spurs a big discount despite asking for a trade. I can see Spurs giving DD that type of money.
    Not true.

The complexion of the market for LA was murky at best after coming off two down years, and a bad playoff series. Not only that, but him being on the other side of 30 didn't help.

His archiac style & skillset also lessened his value.

I would have imagined his agent did his job and sought out his market when giving him advice on the situation.

At the end of the day, LMA didnt necessarily take less considering the reality of his situation. He took the safe & fair route to secure great money.

Spurs only did it bc they saw what other teams could not that summer. That is the commitment he finally showed and the weight he finally lost.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good write up. This is the decision to watch this summer, and I do think if they don’t reach an agreement the Spurs should move him to recoup some value.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might be worth waiting on the ext. Only reason to extend, it may allow for a better trade? But not sure who would want him?

Trade him to land a different piece? DDR to Pacers? To Miami ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    where’s the kawhi write up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Extend him but only for a discount and if he agrees to take more of a mentorship role + come off the bench for the latter years of his contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let him play out this year and let him walk when he opts out

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great objective write up, Timvp.

I'll be shocked if DeMar is extended.

Thread Information