Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not in the trade Demar camp but if they have no plans to extend him and are looking at trades I think there’s some sort of deal with Miami to be made. Something like Whiteside and Winslow for DDR and Bertans for example. Riley wants to make a move and they don’t have many options due to their cap situation. Not sure Pop would want Whiteside but this trade makes the roster more balanced and Winslow’s deal aligns perfectly with the upcoming new deals for Murray, Poeltl and eventually White. Gives the Spurs someone who can handle the ball and create a bit.

Whiteside could provide depth in case of an Aldridge/Poeltl injury as the next guy in line for the C position would be Eubanks and he can’t be with the team the whole season while he’s on a two-way contract. Whiteside could also be traded by the deadline.
    I doubt Riley makes a trade for DeRozan using Winslow. They have an irrational amount of love for that dude.

Honestly, any DeRozan trade has to be about goals, as the OP touches on. The Spurs can "get something for" DeRozan any time up until the deadline. They don't need to look into that now. However, if they want to use cap space, obviously they need something lined up. If they merely want to shuffle the decks a little bit, then trading DeRozan, Metu and Mills to Charlotte for Batum, Marvin Williams and a lightly protected first. I don't love that deal, but Mills being in the deal drops Batum's effective salary to $13.9 Million, and I can live with that. Then you follow that up by trading the least favorable of the Spurs and Hornets 2020 picks to Indy along with Bertans and Beli for Bogdanovic and get:

Murray, Forbes,
    White, Walker,
    Bogdanovic, Batum, Johnson
    Williams, Gay, Samanic
    Aldridge, Poeltl, Eubanks

It'd be weird going from having way too much guard depth to needing to sign two or three of them in one trade sequence. But they'd conserve their MLE to sign a decent third-string guard to compete for minutes and could actually bring Weatherspoon over rather than forcing a stash. If they do the MLE, the best use of it may be to take a flier on a highly touted guard who's fallen out of favor on a one-and-one deal. Dunno if there's a good example of one of those this summer, though. Maybe Burks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt Riley makes a trade for DeRozan using Winslow. They have an irrational amount of love for that dude.

Honestly, any DeRozan trade has to be about goals, as the OP touches on. The Spurs can "get something for" DeRozan any time up until the deadline. They don't need to look into that now. However, if they want to use cap space, obviously they need something lined up. If they merely want to shuffle the decks a little bit, then trading DeRozan, Metu and Mills to Charlotte for Batum, Marvin Williams and a lightly protected first. I don't love that deal, but Mills being in the deal drops Batum's effective salary to $13.9 Million, and I can live with that. Then you follow that up by trading the least favorable of the Spurs and Hornets 2020 picks to Indy along with Bertans and Beli for Bogdanovic and get:

Murray, Forbes,
    White, Walker,
    Williams, Gay, Samanic

It'd be weird going from having way too much guard depth to needing to sign two or three of them in one trade sequence. But they'd conserve their MLE to sign a decent third-string guard to compete for minutes and could actually bring Weatherspoon over rather than forcing a stash. If they do the MLE, the best use of it may be to take a flier on a highly touted guard who's fallen out of favor on a one-and-one deal. Dunno if there's a good example of one of those this summer, though. Maybe Burks?
    trading DeMar I think it's only to go for rebuild path, if you want to go for staying compe ive there's is no trade which is a better option than just keep DeMar..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kevin Love would be a very good fit with SA and LMA imo. If CLE would give real assets it would be one to consider if free agency isn’t a real play next 2 years
    That would be awesome.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can see him being dealt to one of the California teams. If they're going to trade him away I'm sure they'll soften the blow by sending him home at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only effective with ball in his hands and makes poor decisions often when he has it.
    Does not seem to do well in adverse situations.
    Cannot shoot open spot up shots.
    Refuses to move without the ball.
    Not good for the highest paid player.
    I hope somehow he can be more positive moving forward since there seems no way to effectively shed him.
    Basically, a totaly negative at ude. Pity, great talent, almost unguardable on a few selected moves, a dead body in every other situation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Murray, Forbes,
    White, Walker,
    Williams, Gay, Samanic

Yeah Miami have irrational love for Winslow and they also have irrational love for Josh Richardson, and before that they had it for Whiteside - that’s why they’re in the cap mess they have. I’m not sure Riley would want DDR but aside from ST’s hate for the dude he’s objectively a better player than Winslow is and is likely ever going to be. I’m convinced Riley will not wait it out for next summer and will be very active.

As for the Charlotte trade, sure this is the most likely fantasy trade anyone could come up with, although I disagree they’ll include Patty, but I don’t like it at all and wouldn’t think the Spurs would have their highest paid player as a bench option, especially with two years left on his contract. I may be overestimating DDR’s value but it’d take a lot of sweeteners for the Spurs to even consider it imo.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I were a betting man, Durant takes the option, sits and gets paid. Irving goes to Brooklyn, Kawhi is down to Brooklyn Toronto and the Clippers. Basketball karma comes in and he signs with Brooklyn.

the Knick’s offseason consists of randle and spare parts.
    If I'm Durant I'm taking a long term max deal now when dealing with an injury like that. Maybe in a year if his medical screens come back bad he won't get offered the 35% max deals he could sign in a few days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs won't move DeMar, even when the Lakers come calling very publicly. Pop wants to see if he can transform his new pet project.
    Why is DeMar not attending USA Basketball this year, then? I mean, he went last year, when it was just practice. This year, it’s actually the World Cup, with medals to be had. Something’s up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As of now, my source says Lonnie Walker is the first guard off the bench. That’s pop’s plan, as long as Walker is healthy. Pop LOVES Walker. I mean, compared to George Hill, George Hill is like maybe a nice fan that he meets at the local wine bar.
    I hope you're right but I'd have to see it before I even come close to believing it. Gotta hope Walker stays healthy through the start of the regular season.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If I'm Durant I'm taking a long term max deal now when dealing with an injury like that. Maybe in a year if his medical screens come back bad he won't get offered the 35% max deals he could sign in a few days.
    This. Durant's taking the most money he can get after an injury like that.

Now, Golden State's off book compensation may tip that equation another way, but on the surface Durant's taking the most cash he gets offered. It sure won't be a one year deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is DeMar not attending USA Basketball this year, then? I mean, he went last year, when it was just practice. This year, it’s actually the World Cup, with medals to be had. Something’s up.
    Underrated point, tbh.

The Spurs haven't acted like DeRozan is a long-term piece to the puzzle since he got here. Another seemingly small example but it just goes with everything else: Spurs social media last year was directed to push Aldridge instead of DeRozan as a potential All-Star -- even though at the time it was reasonably close which one was more deserving.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be awesome.
    Especially if Milutinov is out of the picture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Praying dog pic!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Underrated point, tbh.

The Spurs haven't acted like DeRozan is a long-term piece to the puzzle since he got here. Another seemingly small example but it just goes with everything else: Spurs social media last year was directed to push Aldridge instead of DeRozan as a potential All-Star -- even though at the time it was reasonably close which one was more deserving.
    So why trade for him

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think very few teams will view DeRozan as a missing piece, but the turmoil in Golden State and Houston increase his value. Teams like Clippers, Lakers, Nets, and Knicks would seem like possibilities if they strike out on a big name free agent. The only real value they can offer to the Spurs is cap space, none of them have much for assets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So why trade for him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kevin Love would be a very good fit with SA and LMA imo. If CLE would give real assets it would be one to consider if free agency isn’t a real play next 2 years
    Yep, I like this one and the Wiggins plus picks options.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, I like this one and the Wiggins plus picks options.
    I like K.Love more than Wiggins but they both have terrible contacts.

Love is a better fit for the current Spurs if we are to make a playoff run and Wiggins is a better fit for the young core age wise.

If anything,with a Love trade,the Spurs would have a White-Gay-Love trio lineup.That would at least make the Game Threads enjoyable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    teach them what exactly? Jack up mid-range shots and mentally disappear in the playoffs?
    Exactly... We don't want his pissy moods souring up the locker room... Dealing with LMA is bad enough

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trading DeMar I think it's only to go for rebuild path, if you want to go for staying compe ive there's is no trade which is a better option than just keep DeMar..
    Completely false... We are better without him... Subtract the choking, he just isn't a stylistic fit for the team... Almost anyone else at his position would make us better

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Completely false... We are better without him... Subtract the choking, he just isn't a stylistic fit for the team... Almost anyone else at his position would make us better
    he's still great regular season player that take a lot of the scoring and playmaking load...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So why trade for him
    Because everyone was lowballing us, and they thought the TOR package was the best on offer? Seriously, all these theoretical Clips/Lakers/Whoemever deals that people keep proposing as better than the TOR offer, do you actually believe they were offered at the time? I just see a lot of people making up rumours to on the PATFO...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not ok with Demar's defensive effort but I am sure he would do overall better if he starts as a shooting guard with a defensive minded small forward with perimeter offense as a helper.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Kawhi doesn't sign in Toronto.... send Derozen back to great white north. They freaking love him there. Green is probably gone and they would be in desperate need of a wing player. Take Ibaka and his expiring deal and call it a day.

Thread Information