Post Count

Kelly Oubre Jr.
    Team: Suns
    Position: SF
    Height: 6-foot-7
    Weight: 205 pounds
    Estimated Contract: 4 years, $39 million
    Stats

Why He May Be Available: The Suns may be forced to move on from Oubre in order to sign a max free agent.

Why The Spurs Should Sign Him: Oubre isn't a classical fit on the Spurs but he'd provide the type of bulk scoring the Spurs would lack if San Antonio trades away DeMar DeRozan. His bulk scoring would come along with worse playmaking but better three-point shooting and more activity on defense. See this comparison between DeRozan and Oubre:

Only 23 years old, his comparison to DeRozan looks even better if you compare Oubre to DeRozan at the same age:

His age puts him on the same timeline as Derrick White, Dejounte Murray, Lonnie Walker IV and the rest of the youngsters.

Downsides: I question whether Tsunami Papi, as he refers to himself on social media, would be a fit with the #coffeegang. He's also a low percentage three-point shooter and an inconsistent defender despite really good athleticism. He wouldn't be a fit if DeRozan remains on the team.

-----

Tomas Satoransky
    Team: Wizards
    Position: PG/SG/SF
    Weight: 210 pounds
    Estimated Contract: 4 years, $39 million
    Stats

Why He May Be Available: The Wizards are in salary cap . Depending on who they aim to keep, Satoransky could be available.

Why The Spurs Should Sign Him: The an hesis of Mr. Papi, Satoransky is an extremely versatile player who produces whether on the ball or off the ball. He played a lot of point guard last season but he is big enough to play at shooting guard or small forward. He makes plays, shoots at a high percentage and limits his mistakes. He's most comparable to Derrick White:

The team's unselfishness and basketball IQ would be helped immensely by the addition of Satoransky.

Downsides: Playing him at SF is a stretch, especially against the league's bigger wings. A low volume three-point shooter, he doesn't help spacing as much as his percentages suggest. A lineup of White, Dejounte Murray and Satoransky, for example, probably doesn't have enough scoring wherewithal to thrive. His defense is somewhat of a question mark even though he plays hard on that end.

-----

Danuel House Jr.
    Team: Rockets
    Position: SF/SG/PF
    Weight: 220 pounds
    Estimated Contract: 2 years, $10 million (partial guarantee)
    Stats

Why He May Be Available: The Rockets are busy trying to shed salary in order to make a splash in the offseason. If the Spurs make an offer early in the process and include a healthy amount of guaranteed money in the first year, it'd be really difficult for the Rockets to match.

Why The Spurs Should Sign Him: After bouncing around the league for a while, House had a very good season with the Rockets last year. He kept it simple, as 92.4% of his shots were either at the rim or three-pointers. House responded by hitting 59.5% of his two-pointers and 41.6% of his three-pointers. His true shooting percentage was 64.6%, a better mark than anyone on the Spurs last season. He has a big body, he's extremely athletic and he competes on defense. He has played the 2, 3 and 4 in the NBA and doesn't look too out of place at any of those three positions. Here's his production compared to Davis Bertans:

Quite similar. However, House offers higher defensive upside and is playable at a wider variety of positions.

Downsides: Is he a product of Mike D'Antoni's system? House's breakout season sample size was on the smaller side: 979 minutes over 39 games. He also played poorly in the playoffs.

-----

Jake Layman
    Team: Trail Blazers
    Position: SF
    Height: 6-foot-9
    Weight: 215 pounds
    Estimated Contract: 2 years, $10 million (partial guarantee)
    Stats

Why He May Be Available: The Blazers don't have much room to operate cap-wise. After drafting Nassir Little, they likely will let Layman go if he's offered anything substantial.

Why The Spurs Should Sign Him: Layman is a tall small forward who's a very good run and jump athlete. A late bloomer who never found stable footing at Maryland or in his first two years in the NBA, he finally put things together last year. His three-point shooting stroke looks promising, he's a lob threat (especially in transition) and he plays hard. Here's what it looks like adding Layman to the comparison with Bertans and House:

Layman isn't quite the three-point shooter (though he was shooting 37.4% from deep prior to the All-Star break before his shot dried up in the second half of the season) but he has the highest all-around offensive ceiling.

Downsides: While a good athlete, he's not much of a defender and might be missing the quick-twitch reflexes to ever become one. If his three-point shot doesn't improve, he's not a rotation player on a winning team. Still a project at age 25.

-----

Dorian Finney-Smith
    Team: Mavericks
    Position: SF/PF
    Height: 6-foot-8
    Weight: 220 pounds
    Estimated Contract: 2 years, $8 million (partial guarantee)
    Stats

Why He May Be Available: The Mavs are trying to open up salary cap space. Finney-Smith may be a casualty of that.

Why The Spurs Should Sign Him: Finney-Smith is a good athlete who has the tools to be a solid defender. He has held up well playing at both small forward and power forward. Brings energy and is just skilled enough offensively to avoid being too much of a liability. Here he is added to the comparison:

He's the worst of the bunch offensively but probably has the highest upside as a defender and he's most able to play power forward for long stretches.

Downsides: He's a career 30% three-point shooter. Finney-Smith would only hold value if the Spurs really want his defensive upside and think they could improve his shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn’t mind House at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw a lot of House when he was here at A&M and there's a few things I can say confidently about him and one of those is that he's not the product of Houston's system. While he was here, he was super athletic, he was clutch, but he was very undisciplined. It seems like the guy works hard as though, and I feel like he'd be a lot like Simmons was in Pops system. The difference being that he's a much better shooter, but he is also extremely streaky.

I don't think he's got a huge ceiling, but I do think that he's the kind of guy the Spurs get the most out of and that he could do really well here as a role player. I honestly never saw a really high defensive upside to him at A&M, I see him as more of a scorer. I wouldn't expect him to be a 3 and D player but I would expect him to be better than average on D simply because he's pretty damn athletic.

The more I think about it the more I think House is a great fit for the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like there are a ton of available players that fit our needs this offseason unlike last year. It would be a huge disappointment if we don’t sign one

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like Jake, in Layman's terms.

Thanks ... I'll be here all week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bidding on a RFA can mess up your timing when trying to get other FAs. The opportunity costs are way too high unless you really covet someone (or simply want to screw a rival).

I'd just try to sign Stanley Johnson at at lower salary.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watched a lot of Dallas last year and really liked Finney-Smith. He was maybe their most consistent player. I don’t see them letting him go.
    House is also interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love the idea of Satoransky, which would give the Spurs a good passer at SF and a back up PG/SG-- I agree that he compares to D White & does a little bit of everything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Me? You can’t be serious

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bidding on a RFA can mess up your timing when trying to get other FAs.
    Teams now only have 48 hours to match, so it's better than it used to be. That said, yeah, the timing is still difficult because a lot of top tier guys get snagged within hours.

Msg to GNSF; Be Bold Immortal Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just want stanley johnson...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ugh. I want players who COMPETE, BELIEVE and want to WIN. We are already stacked with a bunch of non-caring, meh players who are only interested in getting their numbers. This all just sucks. These players are just a bunch of guys & wouldn't do much to move the needle in terms of wins. LJ, you've done a great job putting all this together and my comments aren't aimed at you - they are toward the state of the Spurs & available options on the market. I am completely disgusted with what we all knew and saw coming with DeRozan. When he's on, he's a of a scorer but he tends to be a knucklehead in clutch situations and the same can be said for our other pricey star in Aldridge. They are high-level complimentary pieces and NOT superstars or leaders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...pass.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this is a solid approach. I don’t see them pushing for Bogdonavich.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yuck

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice selection.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beggars can't be choosers tbh. I'll take what I can get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1- House
    2- Layman
    3- Oubre
    4- Sato
    5- DFS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tomas please.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like Satoransky game. Always in the right spot in both ends. I think he will be a good shooter before he retires. But questionable fit and doesn't band-aid our weaknesses.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Out of the bunch, House is the only one that doesn't make my eye twitch. I'm afraid your comment about him being a product of D'Antoni ball may be true. For all I don't like about Harden, he does get other guys easy shots. House made the most of it this year. That being said, he does pretty much everything Bertans does, but quicker. And he gets to the line a lot more than Bertans.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Lakers get another max player, there is no one that we should call a "steal" for the next 2 or 3 years. We should be tanking while developing fresh new faces, not 26, 27 year olds with known limited ceiling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just want stanley johnson...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oubre is the most talented of the bunch and you can’t discount that he started his career in one of the worse ran organization in the league so it’s not a surprise he’s been inconsistent. He has the tools to be a very good if not great defender. The only problem I see is that Walker is better prospect so I don’t want to bring a young player to take minutes from Murray, White or Walker. I rather go for a more veteran player or maybe Stanley Johnson who could play the 3 or 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oubre is definitely not over himself. Phoenix going to give him a big contract anyway.

Thread Information