Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thank God I'm a country boy! djohn14's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Whats up guys? I haven't posted in quite sometime. Obviously I'm a huge Spurs fan, and I'm a big UFC fan as well. I use to post quite a bit in the MMA forum. Anyway, for the first time since I was a kid in the late 90's, I'll be heading to San Antonio.

My wife and I will be traveling down from Missouri for 4 nights, August 7-10. I was just wondering if any of you had some suggestions on what to do, eat, or see? Obviously theres the Alamo and the Riverwalk, but are there any hidden gems out there in terms of sights to see or places to eat? My wife is Mexican and was about an hour outside of Monterrey. We have yearly travels to her hometown and pass by San Antonio every time. I'm excited to go in and explore the city this time. Bonus points given for any tips for Mexican sites or authentic foods. We appreciate any and all feedback given

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Whats up guys? I haven't posted in quite sometime. Obviously I'm a huge Spurs fan, and I'm a big UFC fan as well. I use to post quite a bit in the MMA forum. Anyway, for the first time since I was a kid in the late 90's, I'll be heading to San Antonio.

My wife and I will be traveling down from Missouri for 4 nights, August 7-10. I was just wondering if any of you had some suggestions on what to do, eat, or see? Obviously theres the Alamo and the Riverwalk, but are there any hidden gems out there in terms of sights to see or places to eat? My wife is Mexican and was about an hour outside of Monterrey. We have yearly travels to her hometown and pass by San Antonio every time. I'm excited to go in and explore the city this time. Bonus points given for any tips for Mexican sites or authentic foods. We appreciate any and all feedback given
    This isn't exactly a hidden gem but a few months ago, we checked out the Hemisfair tower and had lunch at the restaurant that slowly turns. It was actually cooler than I thought it would be and the food was good.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    This isn't exactly a hidden gem but a few months ago, we checked out the Hemisfair tower and had lunch at the restaurant that slowly turns. It was actually cooler than I thought it would be and the food was good.
    I liked it better when half the view was of the worst housing project in the city (Victoria Courts RIP).

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    On a serious note, if you want really good BBQ hit up either Luling or Lockhart. In Lockhart Black's and Smitty's are first rate, in Luling there is a place called City Market that is outstanding. If you don't want to travel that far there is a place on West Ave called Two Brothers that has outstanding brisket, but everything else is pretty average there. I find Black's, Smitty's, City Market, and Two Bros to be pretty comparable on brisket. For sausage City Market and Smitty's are god tier, Black's is pretty good, and Two Bros isn't very good. For ribs City Market, Black's, and Smitty's are all really good. Also don't expect to hit up those places and get the meat you want at dinner time, they can run out late in the day. There is another really famous place in Lockhart called Kreuz Market that's also pretty beloved, but I haven't eaten there and can't comment.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Also if you want a great local beer, Busted Sandal's El Robosuto Porter is killer.

Thank God I'm a country boy! djohn14's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I appreciate the responses guys! Sounds like one day we will have lunch at the Hemisfair, and I'll absolutely hit up one of the BBQ joints too, probably for the brisket.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I appreciate the responses guys! Sounds like one day we will have lunch at the Hemisfair, and I'll absolutely hit up one of the BBQ joints too, probably for the brisket.
    Spursforsix is ing with you I think. I ate there once and it was cafeteria food with a sweeping view of housing projects. I think that area has been redeveloped to be only partly public housing now though.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Summertime? Not as much because it's so hot and sticky, but there's always great Mexican food. Avoid eating at any national chain places. My favorites for Mexican are are El Rodeo De Jalisco (2 locations on the far W side, on Potranco) and Taqueria Garibaldi (2 locations on the W side by Military and Lackland area). Ape os (by John Jay HS on Marbach Road) is just as good but the prices are a bit steep for SA Meixcan.

Seriously. There are gem's everywhere. Also Bud Jones on the SW side has very good and inexpensive American food with great portion sizes and sometimes all you can eat chicken fried steak and fried codfish specials. JAnthony's Seafood on the NW side by Loop 410 is great Mexican seafood, a little pricey but not if you're used to Dallas/other metro prices.

And since it is summertime you should definitely hit up Sea World - within walking distance of my house growing up - if you've never been before.
    Last edited by Millennial_Messiah; 07-25-2019 at 07:14 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Spursforsix is ing with you I think. I ate there once and it was cafeteria food with a sweeping view of housing projects. I think that area has been redeveloped to be only partly public housing now though.
    No...I wasn’t kidding at all. I took my daughter and it was pretty cool checking out the view. Especially when it rotated where we could see the Riverwalk area. We’d pick out or hotel or the different things we saw on the RW boat ride. Some of the views weren’t as good but it rotated a couple of full times while we ate.

And it definitely wasn’t cafeteria food. Maybe they changed the restaurant since you’ve been. I think it’s run by the Landry’s group now. It wasn’t a 4 star meal but was very good. Plus when you eat at the restaurant, you get free tickets to the lookout area.

If he’s taking the family, I definitely recommend it. As touristy as it seems, it was worth doing.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    No...I wasn’t kidding at all. I took my daughter and it was pretty cool checking out the view. Especially when it rotated where we could see the Riverwalk area. We’d pick out or hotel or the different things we saw on the RW boat ride. Some of the views weren’t as good but it rotated a couple of full times while we ate.

And it definitely wasn’t cafeteria food. Maybe they changed the restaurant since you’ve been. I think it’s run by the Landry’s group now. It wasn’t a 4 star meal but was very good. Plus when you eat at the restaurant, you get free tickets to the lookout area.

If he’s taking the family, I definitely recommend it. As touristy as it seems, it was worth doing.
    Bingo. You have a daughter and you're posting on a message board with Larry on it?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins

, my bad.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    Check out the Pearl and Southtown. Lots of good restaurants and bars in those areas. Not quite as touristy as the riverwalk

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Check out the Pearl and Southtown. Lots of good restaurants and bars in those areas. Not quite as touristy as the riverwalk
    also check out the houses in Edgewood, Harlandale and the neighborhoods off Houston street just west of the AT&T center, for a real authentic taste of SA culture.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Si

What he said.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    also check out the houses in Edgewood, Harlandale and the neighborhoods off Houston street just west of the AT&T center, for a real authentic taste of SA culture.
    Don’t listen to this got.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes

You're sure you're not a Rockets fan?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils

SA has changed a lot since the 90s. The area at 1604/281 is now the best, but pretty suburban. I liked the Japanese Tea Garden downtown when I was a kid. Not sure if they've kept it up, but it's free. La Villita for random cheap souvenir goods, like a big red sombrero. The main public library downtown has pretty interesting architecture, and is also free ofc. For entertainment, the Santikos Palladium at the Rim (I-10/1604 area, NW) is nice, and there's a Top Golf there for a brew if you like driving ranges, beer and TVs. For BBQ, I usually go to Rudy's at I-10 and Boerne Stage Rd (far NW). Longhorn Cafe is still decent there too.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Whitte Museum has grown leaps and bounds since I left the city. Looks worthy of being a large city's main museum. The dinosaur exhibit last summer was very, very awesome and the renovation was well done.

The Missions are worth checking out, very cool to see some of the oldest buildings still standing in the country.

El Mercado is fun, even on a slow summer day. A whitewashed flea market for tourists, but fun.

The one thing to remember about San Antonio; the more expensive the Mexican food is, the more likely it is to be inferior white man TexMex. If it looks gross on the outside, go the in to be honest.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    SA has changed a lot since the 90s. The area at 1604/281 is now the best, but pretty suburban. I liked the Japanese Tea Garden downtown when I was a kid. Not sure if they've kept it up, but it's free. La Villita for random cheap souvenir goods, like a big red sombrero. The main public library downtown has pretty interesting architecture, and is also free ofc. For entertainment, the Santikos Palladium at the Rim (I-10/1604 area, NW) is nice, and there's a Top Golf there for a brew if you like driving ranges, beer and TVs. For BBQ, I usually go to Rudy's at I-10 and Boerne Stage Rd (far NW). Longhorn Cafe is still decent there too.
    Rudy's is ing terrible. If you want chewy flavorless brisket with lots of unrendered fat that's your place I guess.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    if you are flying in..........take the next flight to cali.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Rudy's is ing terrible. If you want chewy flavorless brisket with lots of unrendered fat that's your place I guess.
    What's the best? When I'm in SA I'm basically a tourist now, since it's changed so much.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    The one thing to remember about San Antonio; the more expensive the Mexican food is, the more likely it is to be inferior white man TexMex. If it looks gross on the outside, go the in to be honest.
    The definition of ugly outside, bomb inside (at least used to be, no guarantees)

https://www.yelp.com/biz/el-gallito-...-san-antonio-2

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    I also liked Mama Margie's for fajitas and frozen margaritas:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/mama-margies-san-antonio-9

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The definition of ugly outside, bomb inside (at least used to be, no guarantees)

https://www.yelp.com/biz/el-gallito-...-san-antonio-2

I was born and raised in Alamo Heights, so I knew that if I ever saw loads of rich people at Mexican joints in the North Side, it's not good. It really worked and I think the best Mexican joint I ate at was this hole in the wall, filthy ass place near the Elizan courts. The family that owned/operated the place lived literally next door and had a screen door separating their living quarters from the dining room so you could hear them watching their Friday night TV shows while you were eating. ing ay, it was delicious.

Thread Information