Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1:42 I was gonna post this play. Sweetest play of the summer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the hesitation and then the drive. If he gets Tony parker skills and learns to finish with contact and off balance, then he'll be unstoppable.

Lonnie has all the talent, he just has to start playing assuming he doesn't have that athleticism. Keep adding more tools to the tool box.

In terms of raw athletic talent, I think the two best wings in the Spurs are Lonnie and Keldon. These two players can build a lot of muscle without compromising their game. What I didn't like about Bertans is that he didn't build more muscle for fear it would compromise his game. But Bryn Forbes did show that you could add a lot of bulk and still keep on shooting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    his game doesn't translate to winning basketball, like a Zach LaVine type player, but not as freaky athlete

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    his game doesn't translate to winning basketball, like a Zach LaVine type player, but not as freaky athlete
    Why don't we let him play first?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What’re you basing this off of?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As impressive as Walkers scoring was in SL equally encouraging was the way he dialed up his defense in Vegas and in the second half of the last game he used the attention he was drawing on offense to get good looks for his teammates. Impressive and a hopeful sign of good things to come in those areas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As impressive as Walkers scoring was in SL equally encouraging was the way he dialed up his defense in Vegas and in the second half of the last game he used the attention he was drawing on offense to get good looks for his teammates. Impressive and a hopeful sign of good things to come in those areas.
    I was a skeptic of Walker and can't be happier about looking so wrong. I was at the Toronto SL game and Walker passed the eye test big time (even his D looked at least on the scale).

The only thing that really concerns about Walker is -- he seems a bit happy-go-lucky. Does he have "killer instinct?" Would he rather die than lose?

Every le team must have one (at least) such guy and, so far, I can't figure out who that is on this Spurs roster. (Duncan and Manu both fit the bill in earlier days -- either one might have been enough.)

This is not just on Walker, no one else on the team fits the bill either.

Sometimes a coach can be that guy, but that's a bit tricky with a 70 year-old coach.

White and Forbes might have that potential, but both are late-bloomers so they don't have that alpha-dog since the age of ten mystique.

My guess is the team is grooming Forbes for that role, he showed killer instinct in the Denver series (let the righteous outrage begin ).

If you think that Forbes is getting minutes that he doesn't deserve, that might be part of the reason.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was a skeptic of Walker and can't be happier about looking so wrong. I was at the Toronto SL game and Walker passed the eye test big time (even his D looked at least on the scale).

The only thing that really concerns about Walker is -- he seems a bit happy-go-lucky. Does he have "killer instinct?" Would he rather die than lose?

Every le team must have one (at least) such guy and, so far, I can't figure out who that is on this Spurs roster. (Duncan and Manu both fit the bill in earlier days -- either one might have been enough.)

Sometimes a coach can be that guy, but that's a bit tricky with a 70 year-old coach.

White and Forbes might have that potential, but both are late-bloomers so they don't have that alpha-dog since the age of ten mystique.

My guess is the team is grooming Forbes for that role, he showed killer instinct in the Denver series (let the righteous outrage begin ).

If you think that Forbes is getting minutes that he doesn't deserve, that might be part of the reason.
    Spurs had wanted to get Klay Thompson but he was picked #11 instead of #15 (Leonard). The argument at the time was his killer instinct.

Now what about Lonnie? Well, if you listened to the Donovan Mitc interview last year during the draft, he said something to the effect that Lonnie had the same mentality as he has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think you've identified two good possibilities. I'm impressed with Forbes. I know people don't like him here -- because wankers -- but he's busted his ass and visibly improved, very quickly, as the season went on last year. He's a tough guy and wants to be as great as he can in this league. I hope we don't lose him, but understand his limits.

White is a guy I think will grow into a leader. I think he's still deferential and still figuring things out, but I figure Pop sees a leader in him. Goodness knows he has nearly the total package right now. Really. He's great with the ball, great vision, good shooter, terrific defender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Bryn forbes is a solid guard off the bench and one of the best shooters.
    Off the bench? Weird, I don't remember him coming off the bench last year.
    Last edited by Mugen; 07-12-2019 at 11:13 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been talking about this kid since after the All Star break. He had all the physical tools and his shot wasn't broken coming from school. He so far has shown that he likes to work and wants to get better. If he stays healthy and keeps working the skies the limit!

He is going to beat out Marco and maybe even Carroll for more minutes than a lot of people on here think. He has to tighten up his off the ball defense to really cut into Carroll's playing time and I think the coaching staff will continuously be in his ear about that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been talking about this kid since after the All Star break. He had all the physical tools and his shot wasn't broken coming from school. He so far has shown that he likes to work and wants to get better. If he stays healthy and keeps working the skies the limit!

He is going to beat out Marco and maybe even Carroll for more minutes than a lot of people on here think. He has to tighten up his off the ball defense to really cut into Carroll's playing time and I think the coaching staff will continuously be in his ear about that
    Frankly I don't think Carroll is his opposition. Marco's more in line, yeah.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you've identified two good possibilities. I'm impressed with Forbes. I know people don't like him here -- because wankers -- but he's busted his ass and visibly improved, very quickly, as the season went on last year. He's a tough guy and wants to be as great as he can in this league. I hope we don't lose him, but understand his limits.

White is a guy I think will grow into a leader. I think he's still deferential and still figuring things out, but I figure Pop sees a leader in him. Goodness knows he has nearly the total package right now. Really. He's great with the ball, great vision, good shooter, terrific defender.
    I agree Forbes got better and better as the season went on. I hated his defense early in the season but he started to figure things out and wasn't completely trash by the end of the season. He got way better overall on offense which definitely helped the team be more dynamic on that side of the ball. Forbes worked his ass off and has made himself into an NBA player.

White is awesome! My only gripe with White is he needs to be more aggressive on offense. His shot from 3 will be at the very least league average I'm sure because he shot okay from there this season and he was good in school. He just needs to be a bit more aggressive on offense which would open up so many shots for his teammates

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Frankly I don't think Carroll is his opposition. Marco's more in line, yeah.
    I agree Walker is more of a 2 than a 3 but I feel coming off the Bench he can play some 3 which is where Carroll will play some of his minutes. Carroll I'm sure will play the 4 also but I think initially Pop is going to play Carroll at the backup 3 spot more until a player can beat him out or he plays like guarding 3's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree Forbes got better and better as the season went on. I hated his defense early in the season but he started to figure things out and wasn't completely trash by the end of the season. He got way better overall on offense which definitely helped the team be more dynamic on that side of the ball. Forbes worked his ass off and has made himself into an NBA player.

White is awesome! My only gripe with White is he needs to be more aggressive on offense. His shot from 3 will be at the very least league average I'm sure because he shot okay from there this season and he was good in school. He just needs to be a bit more aggressive on offense which would open up so many shots for his teammates
    Not sure where that is coming from. He shot 40% at Colorado, and very well his rookie year, like phenomenally well in a small sample. He had pretty much chronic plantar fasciitis last year, leading to two stints on the shelf, and if you think that won't affect your jump shot then you don't understand shooting at all. League averages is about 35%, and I see Derrick shooting somewhere between 38 and 40%. If you think that's not a big difference, on 100 shots, 35% is 105 points, 38% is 114 points, and 40% is 120 points.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m a Forbes fan and have been since before last season started. He busts his ass, has made steady improvement, never appears to complain and I don’t think his defense is as bad as most make out to be. I expect he’ll show more improvement this year as well. Clowns who talk about dumping Forbes, ridiculous. Some have invested so much of bashing Forbes in their Spurstalk persona that they can’t/won’t admit they’re wrong. He does tend to get down on himself though when his shots not falling which a leader shouldn’t do and which he should get over.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m a Forbes fan and have been since before last season started. He busts his ass, has made steady improvement, never appears to complain and I don’t think his defense is as bad as most make out to be. I expect he’ll show more improvement this year as well. Clowns who talk about dumping Forbes, ridiculous. Some have invested so much of bashing Forbes in their Spurstalk persona that they can’t/won’t admit they’re wrong. He does tend to get down on himself though when his shots not falling which a leader shouldn’t do and which he should get over.
    Bottom line is Forbes exceeded expectations when he was one of few Spurs with a pulse in game 7 against the Nuggets. You can't teach this kind of mental at ude.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he doesn't have an uncle tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bottom line is Forbes exceeded expectations when he was one of few Spurs with a pulse in game 7 against the Nuggets. You can't teach this kind of mental at ude.
    Too bad Forbes hasn’t made Mills expendable yet. Or at least in PATFO’s eyes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too bad Forbes hasn’t made Mills expendable yet. Or at least in PATFO’s eyes
    I honestly thought Forbes was set to do just that especially after his G League and Summer League Stints. I was always pretty high on him being a rotation player but i was probably 1 year too early for them to lose Patty and the bigger breaking point was knowing Manu was going to leave at any given moment.

That being said, Patty was just voted the "backbone of the team" award. Rumors are the Spurs locker room, especially the Summer League guys, are gelling well and hanging out together. This kind of stuff is the reason Spurs are perennial winners and Knicks are... the Knicks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure where that is coming from. He shot 40% at Colorado, and very well his rookie year, like phenomenally well in a small sample. He had pretty much chronic plantar fasciitis last year, leading to two stints on the shelf, and if you think that won't affect your jump shot then you don't understand shooting at all. League averages is about 35%, and I see Derrick shooting somewhere between 38 and 40%. If you think that's not a big difference, on 100 shots, 35% is 105 points, 38% is 114 points, and 40% is 120 points.
    You highlighted what I posted and disregarded it in your post. Lmao. I said I think White's shot should be at the very least league average.

I'm not saying the man can't shoot, I'm saying at his worse he should be a league average 3 point shooter in my opinion. Are you just bored and trying to argue? Lmao. We agree that he should be a good shooter this upcoming season. Lmao.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ranked the best player in Summer League 2019: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...so-far#slide13

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You highlighted what I posted and disregarded it in your post. Lmao. I said I think White's shot should be at the very least league average.

I'm not saying the man can't shoot, I'm saying at his worse he should be a league average 3 point shooter in my opinion. Are you just bored and trying to argue? Lmao. We agree that he should be a good shooter this upcoming season. Lmao.
    Happens a lot around here. I think he missed the “at the very least” part.

White will be off the ball a bit more this year with Murray back, and excited to see him get more open looks. Him hitting at a 37ish% rate from deep will be immense to spacing, especially with Bertans gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Reading fail. Somehow 'least' became 'most'. We're on the same page.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reading fail. Somehow 'least' became 'most'. We're on the same page.
    It's all peace.

You had me confused as at 1st. Lmao

Thread Information