Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once he has the ultimate green light, my dude is going to have a 50 point game in a year or so. He just has that microwave mode.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Once he has the ultimate green light, my dude is going to have a 50 point game in a year or so. He just has that microwave mode.
    No doubt

His PER36 stats shows him averaging 18.2 PPG.

He's ready to explode. He's the reason I want the Spurs to make the playoffs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt

His PER36 stats shows him averaging 18.2 PPG.

He's ready to explode. He's the reason I want the Spurs to make the playoffs.

“lonnie is not built for these playoffs- this is why Marco & Brynn are crucial to the team- they will share the workload and lonnie can watch and learn!”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lonnie working on his finishing.

Breakout SZN??

Watch out, league???

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Breakout SZN??

Watch out, league???
    Burn all mix tapes of any player, misleading and jinx material. Lets hope he doesn't fall into that category.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll get excited when I see him finish a score after getting bumped on the way up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its always hard to judge anything from these videos but its great to see him putting in the work!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to work on finishing with contact. Go strong to the rim and not settle too much on jumpshot. Take the and1. Same with DJ. Keldon, on the other hand, has a knack on finishing at the rim, at very young age. He relishes contacts.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has the smoothest jump shot on the team.
    Last edited by 4lifecowboy; 12-01-2020 at 06:52 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to work on finishing with contact. Go strong to the rim and not settle too much on jumpshot. Take the and1. Same with DJ. Keldon, on the other hand, has a knack on finishing at the rim, at very young age. He relishes contacts.
    He's the biggest of the 5 (himself, Derrick, DeJounte, Devin & Lonnie) and has the strongest frame. Lonnie, DeJounte & Devin all have a more "wiry" type of frame although Lonnie seems to have added more muscle.

Have to see him around other NBA - sized athletes & not a bunch of training "dummies" that are my height (5'11").

Not just learning to absorb and/or finish through contact but also use their (meaning DeJounte & Lonnie) off - hand and better evasive moves. Manu & Tony were great at finishing through contact but they also used a lot of spin moves, Euro steps & other evasive moves to avoid defenders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Breakout SZN??

Watch out, league???
    Buckets for DAYS. People sleeping all over Lonnie... Fair enough. Just like that re Thldren. He's got a lot to prove next season, and will be fighting for his right to be in the rotation, maybe even start.... I can't wait to see that hunger.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Buckets for DAYS. People sleeping all over Lonnie... Fair enough. Just like that re Thldren. He's got a lot to prove next season, and will be fighting for his right to be in the rotation, maybe even start.... I can't wait to see that hunger.
    He has all the physical gifts to be as good as Zach LaVine on offense, but he needs to be a lot more assertive & have more opportunities/plays ran for him.

And, like other people said he needs to become a better finisher through traffic, in the restricted area (period) & more apt at using his off - hand. Too many of his drives end with an awkward, contorting shot because he's unable to use it currently.

His jumper is pure & he does have the best mechanics of the young bunch. Unfortunately, pro basketball isn't played in an open gym against midget defenders in the paint.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has all the physical gifts to be as good as Zach LaVine on offense, but he needs to be a lot more assertive & have more opportunities/plays ran for him.

And, like other people said he needs to become a better finisher through traffic, in the restricted area (period) & more apt at using his off - hand. Too many of his drives end with an awkward, contorting shot because he's unable to use it currently.

His jumper is pure & he does have the best mechanics of the young bunch. Unfortunately, pro basketball isn't played in an open gym against midget defenders in the paint.
    Agree on all counts. It's why last season was so frustrating for me, a Lonnie truther - Pop literally called for him to sit on the corner, for entire plays on end. Posters here would call Lonnie "passive" and "unassertive" like he could just disrupt plays as he wanted and take the ball for himself. Not how it works. I definitely think he has star potential, but don't really see him fulfilling it until Pop leaves, sadly. We've already seen how stubborn Pop can be at changing his ways once a certain player gets on his "bad side", and Lonnie last year was exactly a poster boy for that. I'm not expecting him to get many plays called for him, or offensive focus, next season.

I really hope it doesn't turn into one of those situations where a player is traded, and then grows into the player they could be in that new team, like Oladipo or Harden. I like Lonnie far too much for that. But I fear that even if he's bulked up, and worked on the flaws in his game, he might not get the best chance to shine here in San Antonio... Under Pop at least.

Hope both Lonnie AND Pop prove me wrong next season, but watching this past season was awful - for many reasons, not only Lonnie's misusing, of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree on all counts. It's why last season was so frustrating for me, a Lonnie truther - Pop literally called for him to sit on the corner, for entire plays on end. Posters here would call Lonnie "passive" and "unassertive" like he could just disrupt plays as he wanted and take the ball for himself. Not how it works. I definitely think he has star potential, but don't really see him fulfilling it until Pop leaves, sadly. We've already seen how stubborn Pop can be at changing his ways once a certain player gets on his "bad side", and Lonnie last year was exactly a poster boy for that. I'm not expecting him to get many plays called for him, or offensive focus, next season.

I really hope it doesn't turn into one of those situations where a player is traded, and then grows into the player they could be in that new team, like Oladipo or Harden. I like Lonnie far too much for that. But I fear that even if he's bulked up, and worked on the flaws in his game, he might not get the best chance to shine here in San Antonio... Under Pop at least.

Hope both Lonnie AND Pop prove me wrong next season, but watching this past season was awful - for many reasons, not only Lonnie's misusing, of course.
    I agree with your first paragraph 100%. It was my biggest knock of the season. Idgaf about missing the playoffs but more about developing the youngsters. I said that Lonnie should have that gunner, Jaren Jackson role and Pop just neutered him. Put him in the corner, let everybody else dribble dribble dribble and then not pass to him. Pop also called ZERO plays to get Lonnie a bucket or to get him in rhythm. Beyond frustrating. The old man needs to go if he keeps up the same bull antics from last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with your first paragraph 100%. It was my biggest knock of the season. Idgaf about missing the playoffs but more about developing the youngsters. I said that Lonnie should have that gunner, Jaren Jackson role and Pop just neutered him. Put him in the corner, let everybody else dribble dribble dribble and then not pass to him. Pop also called ZERO plays to get Lonnie a bucket or to get him in rhythm. Beyond frustrating. The old man needs to go if he keeps up the same bull antics from last year.
    With some many of his so called "pets" (to borrow an ST term) gone, I don't see how Pop can get away with misusing all the young players, again.

He needs to more or less put the ball in their hands & let them sink or swim. Yeah, Aldridge, DeRozan, Gay & Mills remain but there are enough positions in a game (IMO) to at least begin to showcase the younger guys.

Plus, he can use White as a primary ball handler in the starting lineup (with one of Vassell, DeJounte, Keldon or Lonnie beside him) & the remaining youngsters more or less running the second unit. Mills would go back to a similar role of how he was used when Manu was here & Gay can play off the youngsters more, set screens, cut to the rim & iso/control the offense ONLY when he's hot (or they need a tough basket).

He & DeMar need to be utilized like in the Bubble & LaMarcus needs to be transitioned to a pick - and - pop/stretch 5 that can still occasionally score inside or the mid range (think Brook Lopez with more touches).

And that is all contigent on the belief that none of the 4 veterans fall off in play. If/when that happens the youngsters should get even more responsibility.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, I'm heating up just from remembering this .

You get the highest draft pick in decades, draft a guard with a raw game but all the tools to put it together, force him into a G-League season with no real minutes on the main squad... And then just shun him again after he's been through all that? You try and mold him for defense - then proceed to pull him out after every first mistake, to never put him back on the game? You want to develop his offense, yet consistently call for him to be as uninvolved as possible, standing still in the corner waiting for a pass that you know won't come, because you're literally the one designing the offensive scheme? You could literally watch Forbes and Lonnie last season and, without prior knowledge, not know who's the spot-up shooter and who's the promising guard. Pop literally tried to have Forbes running the offense before he told Lonnie to try and make plays for others in the bubble, for 's sake

And the worst of all, after Lonnie beat every odd against him and proved the haters wrong with a 28 points tour-de-force over the Rockettes.... You play him TWELVE MINUTES the very next game?!? Like, what kind of reward is that? He predictably scored 2 whole points as a result. Talk about learning experiences... Outside of that game, Lonnie played 30 minutes or more, exactly three games out of 61 he took part in last season. Is the dude made out of glass or something? Of course, he put up double digit points every one of them, perhaps at Pop's chagrin. Just all-around a mind-boggling coaching job.

This is not to say "just play him 35mpg all season and learn on the fly!". That's also not how it should be done. But to play one of, if not the most promising player on your team (Keldon hadn't broken out yet), so little, and on such a ridiculously tiny role that isn't even suited to his game or strengths... I was close to pulling my teeth out. What a show.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I forgot to mention the most hilarious thing about that game after the OT win led by Lonnie...... His twelve minutes played were, by far, the lowest on the team. No other player except for Lyles (mother ing Lyles ) played less than 18 minutes. Check the boxscore if you don't believe me - or don't. It's aneurysm-inducing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, I'm heating up just from remembering this .

You get the highest draft pick in decades, draft a guard with a raw game but all the tools to put it together, force him into a G-League season with no real minutes on the main squad... And then just shun him again after he's been through all that? You try and mold him for defense - then proceed to pull him out after every first mistake, to never put him back on the game? You want to develop his offense, yet consistently call for him to be as uninvolved as possible, standing still in the corner waiting for a pass that you know won't come, because you're literally the one designing the offensive scheme? You could literally watch Forbes and Lonnie last season and, without prior knowledge, not know who's the spot-up shooter and who's the promising guard. Pop literally tried to have Forbes running the offense before he told Lonnie to try and make plays for others in the bubble, for 's sake

And the worst of all, after Lonnie beat every odd against him and proved the haters wrong with a 28 points tour-de-force over the Rockettes.... You play him TWELVE MINUTES the very next game?!? Like, what kind of reward is that? He predictably scored 2 whole points as a result. Talk about learning experiences... Outside of that game, Lonnie played 30 minutes or more, exactly three games out of 61 he took part in last season. Is the dude made out of glass or something? Of course, he put up double digit points every one of them, perhaps at Pop's chagrin. Just all-around a mind-boggling coaching job.

This is not to say "just play him 35mpg all season and learn on the fly!". That's also not how it should be done. But to play one of, if not the most promising player on your team (Keldon hadn't broken out yet), so little, and on such a ridiculously tiny role that isn't even suited to his game or strengths... I was close to pulling my teeth out. What a show.
    Yeah I have a long list of gripes with Pop that I feel are inexcusable. Even his greatest fans (which believe it or not I am a HUGE fan of Pop) can’t really come up with a valid retort other than well he has 5 rings so he knows what he’s doing.

Pop has always had weaknesses as a coach, every coach I feel except Phil and Red has them and he never improved on two weaknesses. Pop has come a of a far way from his beginning days, so this isn’t to on him and say he hasn’t evolved or improved. But Pop never knew what to do with athleticism. He would’ve been a coach for DRob. Like it isn’t rocket science, but Pop doesn’t know how to run an athletic fast break. Lonnie is the best athlete on the team, can get to the rim in 3 strides from half court, and can FLY, and yet Pop never has him run the fast break? He never had a Lonnie just take off with the ball in the open court. Instead we pass it to Demar or Bryn or Patty or Derrick and I’m just like there are open points just begging to be had if you give Lonnie the ball and tell him to run. It’s like Andy Reid not having Hill run go routes. It’s just dumb.

I get hard coaching and I get trial through fire. And I’m all for that. But it isn’t what Pop did to Lonnie. He cussed the out of Tony and Manu but guess what, he played them the next game. He didn’t put a ty broken down 35 year Marco type player in their way. He benched Green for stupid mistakes, but he played him afterwards, started him even. With Lonnie he yelled at him, pulled him, and then benched him for 3 games. Then rinse and repeat. That’s not good coaching.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't see it with him. He's a very poor playmaker to warrant the touches everyone is clamoring for. Maybe tops out as Jordan Clarkson type microwave scorer off the bench.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    I forgot to mention the most hilarious thing about that game after the OT win led by Lonnie...... His twelve minutes played were, by far, the lowest on the team. No other player except for Lyles (mother ing Lyles ) played less than 18 minutes. Check the boxscore if you don't believe me - or don't. It's aneurysm-inducing.
    I didn't want him getting a big head after that performance. He needed to get over himself.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could have played more but to be honest he was lost on defense kinda like Metu he just didn't know where he should be. On a good note he showed that he can really be a good 3 point shooter if he can figure out the team defense and is able to finish at the rim then he might become the best of the Spurs. On a side note I hope he doesn't do that kick his leg out anymore cause every time he does that I cringe thinking he is going to tear his knee up again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't see it with him. He's a very poor playmaker to warrant the touches everyone is clamoring for. Maybe tops out as Jordan Clarkson type microwave scorer off the bench.
    Walker probably has the most potential as a play-maker out of all the young players. I think before the bubble, it was more like an absence than an established weakness. The bubbled showed what he might be able to go, and it was bending the defense in a way no one else on the team can.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker probably has the most potential as a play-maker out of all the young players. I think before the bubble, it was more like an absence than an established weakness. The bubbled showed what he might be able to go, and it was bending the defense in a way no one else on the team can.
    Scouting reports on him from highschool to the NBA points to lack of playmaking. Drive and Kick is what he thrived in the Bubble and Summer League. Pick and roll and live dribble passes are still a disaster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for posting Dejounte. Here is a more expansive video if anyone interested.

Ex-Spur Ray Mcallum Jr. in the video too.

Gives you an idea of how big a guard Jrue is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Proves my point even more. Dude gives the ball to everybody else EXCEPT his best athlete. Him running that red set doesn’t change that fact. Patty push the pace

Thread Information