Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Warriors’ pre-draft intel suggested the Spurs were interested in taking Jordan Poole with the 29th pick. Poole can confirm such whispers. He’d worked out in San Antonio in the weeks leading up to the draft and had been given hints of their strong attraction.

“I was really preparing for 29,” Poole said.

The Clippers, at pick 27, were on the clock. Poole figured his moment was only about 10 minutes away. It actually arrived sooner. His phone buzzed. The Warriors were on the other line. They were taking him at pick 28.

https://theathletic.com/1071453/2019...snowy-winters/
    I'm okay with Keldon but I wonder if this is true?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting.

It's amazing how many teams' draft strategy is to try to figure out who the Spurs want and then draft that guy. Then again, with the success the Spurs have had in the draft, can't really blame them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting.

It's amazing how many teams' draft strategy is to try to figure out who the Spurs want and then draft that guy. Then again, with the success the Spurs have had in the draft, can't really blame them
    It’s annoying but maybe it worked out for us because everyone seems to love Keldon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting.

Happened with Batum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't believe the Spurs have any draft Intel edge now. They know player development and pick players ammenable to it.

If you don't have the player development you don't want the Spurs pick. You want Max athlete it big name.

In a league with high base talent personality and humbleness can be the edge over similarly athletic kids.

Part of me thinks the Spurs would be screwed by high draft picks because they aren't used to it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No / thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I highly, HIGHLY doubt that the Spurs would have taken Poole over Keldon Johnson at 29 if both had been on the board at that point. So in that sense, no, I don't believe the Warriors "stole" Poole from the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs sent out false signals on purpose

Poole is a small guy with very short wingspan. He would have been incapable to play small forward. Do we really need another guard?

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting.

It's true. And exactly why I rarely believe "inside info" about who the Spurs are going to draft. Anyone who really has that info ought to know that they have to be totally tight-lipped with it.

My question is what in the the Spurs were going to do with another 6'5" shooting guard? Keldon Johnson is only about 1.5" taller, but has a significantly bigger frame. I think he's going to match up on a lot of SF's just fine. I understand why Poole would be desirable, but with this roster they would almost have to be planning on trading another guard.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I highly, HIGHLY doubt that the Spurs would have taken Poole over Keldon Johnson at 29 if both had been on the board at that point. So in that sense, no, I don't believe the Warriors "stole" Poole from the Spurs.

Another good point. They probably didn't expect KJ to be there at 29. It's really hard for me to think that Poole was there guy if Johnson was there.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting.

I've always believed that the process of development is way more of a factor than the actual player in my eyes. Hard to say which players are the real targets and which ones are the contingency or false flag.

If Kawhi was a Pacer he’d be a 14 and 7 guy looking keep his starting spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keldon was a lottery pick in most NBA scouts’ minds. I remember peeps on twitter getting mad that the Spurs might steal him at #29.

He wasn’t coveted that much if the Spurs could have took him at #19, but waited till #29

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they did "steal" Poole from us, IMO, good. I like Keldon better as a player and a fit (although I would have been even happier with Claxton).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've always believed that the process of development is way more of a factor than the actual player in my eyes. Hard to say which players are the real targets and which ones are the contingency or false flag.

If Kawhi was a Pacer he’d be a 14 and 7 guy looking keep his starting spot.
    Player development is now a big factor. Kawhi wouldn't be a top 5 player. That said, a player also needs talent. In Kawhi's case it's his work ethic and obviously his wingspan and large hands. Kawhi doesn't have an elite vertical, but through player dev he plays in a way that maximizes his length and bulk.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't forget the Spurs weren't expecting Keldon to be there at 29 so it's probably safe to say that they would have chosen Keldon over Poole.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would MUCH rather have Keldon...who the spurs never expected to be their anyway...

And weren't they trying to move up...so who even knows if they actually had planned to keep the 29 pick in the first place...

This seems like people knew he worked out for the spurs so ...gasp...he is the spurs guy...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's true. And exactly why I rarely believe "inside info" about who the Spurs are going to draft. Anyone who really has that info ought to know that they have to be totally tight-lipped with it.

My question is what in the the Spurs were going to do with another 6'5" shooting guard? Keldon Johnson is only about 1.5" taller, but has a significantly bigger frame. I think he's going to match up on a lot of SF's just fine. I understand why Poole would be desirable, but with this roster they would almost have to be planning on trading another guard.
    Well I mean...aren't we actually trying to trade at least Marco now...who is a guard...

And while most logical people probably see Lonnie as a 2...Spurs might see him ass a 3...which would remove him from the guard spot as well...

When we put players in position groups we never stop to think if the spurs put them in the same group...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Make sense, spurs looking for a future backcourt partner to White (I've told Spurs seeing IB more as a backup, change of pace type player down the road when all of his hype settled down), Poole I've always seen as a big sleeper, second best shooter in the draft!
    Last edited by kobyz; 07-11-2019 at 03:55 PM.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mixed guy with a goofy haircut. Fits the mold of some of the more recent picks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leave it to the Warriors brass to look at actual successful front offices and just copy their . Just one look at Kerr and you can tell he got through school copying answers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This happened before with Tony Bradley and Utah but it hasn't worked out for them thus far, only 13 NBA games in two seasons. Derrick White turned out to be a great pick and K.J looks like a great one too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't he the one that acted like a bag during the interview? Saying something like he'll do/get them something something?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leave it to the Warriors brass to look at actual successful front offices and just copy their . Just one look at Kerr and you can tell he got through school copying answers
    They're "light years ahead" yo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't he the one that acted like a bag during the interview? Saying something like he'll do/get them something something?
    He said he's gonna bring the drip to the splash brothers. And the reporter just stared blankly and went back to the announcers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He said he's gonna bring the drip to the splash brothers. And the reporter just stared blankly and went back to the announcers
    YES!!! Thank you. Lol I also just noticed I left out the splash brothers part. Good eyes for catching that. Anyway, with that snippet alone, for some reason he brings to mind Kuzma. Must be me, I dunno

Thread Information