Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not the minimum. It's 2yrs/11mil with partial guarantees on the 2nd year. It's a bad contract tbh unless they can flip it near the deadline.
    thats not all that bad. Still some MLE left in case of emergency or a decent buyout pops up. Second year partial means they can get out with relative ease or retain him if it works out. There isn’t anything else worth spending that on anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lyles was complaining about the Jazz' Quin Snyder's 3 hour workouts:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...practices.html

He's a player that doesn't want to put the work in. Look at his body, he's 4 years in the NBA and he still looks like he's just coming out of college.

The one upside for Lyles is that he's got decent guard skills (dribbling and passing). But his at ude isn't ideal. You want guys who are primed to work their butt out to improve their game.
    You mean Quin "American Psycho" Snyder? Dude constantly looks like he bout to kill a . That would get old for 3 hours a day.

Obviously, Pop is a military man so I don't expect his practices are light or easy either...but hopefully, the Spurs "culture" and the comradery of the team can put Lyles in a better headspace.

If not, his ass will be riding the pine real quick, so maybe that will do the trick to.
    Last edited by Dex; 07-12-2019 at 10:01 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Me saying SA chose DeRozan was not a knock about the trade; its commentary on the mentality. That trade is a win-now trade. I can understand being on your heels with a roster built for Kawhi, then getting blindsided and having a new star that it’s totally different from Kawhi.

But, they had all year to watch and learn and plan, and? They didn’t really do much yet. If they chose DeRozan, whichis fine, the need to lean into that....or move him.
    Disagree. Having Morris renege really hurt PATFO's offseason plan. Having Morris, and Carroll shored up the perimeter and overall defense, as well as getting Murray back. Having Gay lead the 2nd unit/6th man role was very intriguing. Other than figuring out the guard rotation with White, Walker, Forbes, etc...,and a 3rd big, there wasn't a lot of other moves PATFO could of made imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see the point in trading any picks to acquire a stopgap player at PF for 2019-20. Even if you apply the Daryl Morey “5% rule”, the Spurs are not realistically contending for anything because they don’t have enough top-end talent. An Aldridge-DeRozan-Gay core is doing well to make the playoffs at all. With a lesser coach, they’d go 38-44.

At most they might have been a dark-horse candidate to make the second round if someone among Murray/White/Walker busted out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean Quin "American Psycho" Snyder? Dude constantly looks like he bout to kill a . That would get old for 3 hours a day either.

Obviously, Pop is a military man so I don't expect his practices are light or easy either...but hopefully, the Spurs "culture" and the comradery of the team can put Lyles in a better headspace.

If not, his ass will be riding the pine real quick, so maybe that will do the trick to.
    That's a bad sign, Dex. Bad sign. I didn't like Lyles before the signing. Finding out about the character issues makes it even worse.

Hopefully being bounced from two good programs is a wake up call tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m just patiently waiting to see dudes start flip flopping once the season starts�� our coach is the other coaches idol but you guys can’t see beyond your hate! Our coaching has made players out of the most basic of guys....... There’s not 1 franchise in the NBA that wouldn’t select pop over any coach they currently have. Facts

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That respect trickles down to players; get on board or gtfo! Period point blank!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m just patiently waiting to see dudes start flip flopping once the season starts�� our coach is the other coaches idol but you guys can’t see beyond your hate! Our coaching has made players out of the most basic of guys....... There’s not 1 franchise in the NBA that wouldn’t select pop over any coach they currently have. Facts
    Ya, Uncle Dennis and Rich Paul showed him a lot of respect when he bent over in front of them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see the point in trading any picks to acquire a stopgap player at PF for 2019-20. Even if you apply the Daryl Morey “5% rule”, the Spurs are not realistically contending for anything because they don’t have enough top-end talent. An Aldridge-DeRozan-Gay core is doing well to make the playoffs at all. With a lesser coach, they’d go 38-44.

At most they might have been a dark-horse candidate to make the second round if someone among Murray/White/Walker busted out.
    The near term path to improvement from squeaking into the playoffs to deeper runs is at least one of those players developing into a star, at least for the Aldridge/DeRozan Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Respect, schmespect. Pop is 70 years old. How long would he even still be here? How many NBA ballas would be chomping at the bit to play in a small-to-medium market with like 5% black people, coached by Becky Hammon, where nothing you ever do is going to be good enough for the fan base because of the shadow cast by the Duncan dynasty?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not a big Lyles fan but you can only use the MLE to sign free agents and the pickings were really slim. After Lyles, there's literally not another stretch forward on the market worth more than a minimum deal. Lyles isn't particularly amazing but he's a lot better than Jerebko, Leuer, Cunningham, etc.
    NBA free agents, yeah, but I'd take a serious look at euroleague as well. For $5.5M per year, you could be talking about Melli, Shengelia, Singleton...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean Quin "American Psycho" Snyder? Dude constantly looks like he bout to kill a . That would get old for 3 hours a day either.

Half the fanbase is sure Pop being a veteran of a branch of the US Armed Services is ready to go code red on young African-Americans and the other half is certain that he is engaged in the 'soft bigotry of low expectations' with players when he isn't engaged in his wokeness and Trump bashing. smdh
    Last edited by Marcus Bryant; 07-12-2019 at 10:07 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a bad sign, Dex. Bad sign. I didn't like Lyles before the signing. Finding out about the character issues makes it even worse.

Hopefully being bounced from two good programs is a wake up call tbh.
    Yeah, it's definitely a red flag.

Morris obviously would've come with his own character issues (more than we knew, apparently), but as a player Morris is currently >>> Lyles.

Spurs have helped guys turn their career around before though. Danny Green comes to mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The near term path to improvement from squeaking into the playoffs to deeper runs is at least one of those players developing into a star, at least for the Aldridge/DeRozan Spurs.
    The team was only really good when White was playing well. This year there should be more pressure off him, only a good thing. My expectation is that White is near star level now, just needs consistency. The addition of Murray and the exceptional potential of Walker and these three could be a handful.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Me saying SA chose DeRozan was not a knock about the trade; its commentary on the mentality. That trade is a win-now trade. I can understand being on your heels with a roster built for Kawhi, then getting blindsided and having a new star that it’s totally different from Kawhi.

But, they had all year to watch and learn and plan, and? They didn’t really do much yet. If they chose DeRozan, whichis fine, the need to lean into that....or move him.

So what do you think should be done?

Spurs are having best of both worlds...they’re competing and growing their younger players. Now some here don’t think they’re competing or have a chance to get to the WCF..

Spurs we’re looking to have a great draft, showing promise with Walker, and good FA moves...

Morris situation sucked but so many more things can change to fix that or even improve upon. Spurs just aren’t desperate to make HUGE changes or risks, and they have every right to feel that way.

The NBA is wide open and they got a shot to make noise.

If you don’t mind try to give me an example you wanted to see PATFO do going forward?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, can't believe I'm saying this but I'd probably do Forbes/Beli for Fathead. I don't think you'll even have to throw in a 2nd rounder since Memphis is probably eager to move off those guaranteed years...They have Crowder and Cabocolo so they probably have buyer's remorse on KA.

Fathead's dad hates the Spurs so I doubt it happens but he's another wing defender and will be useful once Rudy misses his annual 15 games.

Ugh but I'd do it.
    I never want to see Anderson back on the Spurs. Anderson is probably far better than Lyles, but damn, I was so glad to see him gone.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it's definitely a red flag.

Morris obviously would've come with his own character issues (more than we knew, apparently), but as a player Morris is currently >>> Lyles.

Spurs have helped guys turn their career around before though. Danny Green comes to mind.
    Danny Green learned very quickly that his UNC credentials could only take him very far.

Lyles earned a ton of money for being a lottery pick. Let's hope he's learned his lesson by being in his 3rd team in 5 seasons.

Unfortunately, laziness is in his bones. His role is simple with the Spurs, play defense or don't play at all. He's never shown he could play defense, so maybe he isn't going to play at all!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Losing Morris was a huge blow. Yes a Aldridge/DeRozan/Gay core is a first round out, but we have White/Murray/Walker and one of them taking a leap would elevate this team significantly. The thing this season is it could as well be that all 3 of them take the next step and that would take this team to other heights. If White and Murray can average 15 points with decent shooting numbers while also playing All-NBA type defense and Walker gives you 10 points off the bench this team is dangerous.

Every team with a back court pairing like Dubs, Rockets, Blazers, Jazz will have a problem with Murray/White locking their guards up. With the west wide open the key component were 2 3-and-D combo forwards to throw at Nephew/PG13 and LeGM/Kuzma. A forward rotation of Morris/Carroll/Gay would be good enough to make life tough for both LA teams. Not only that but we could rest Gay in the regular season and the line up versatility would've been through the roof. LA/Morris/Gay for offense, LA/Morris/Carrol for defense, one of them playing PF with DeRozan at the 3 and White/Murray in the back court or a wing pairing of DeRozan/Walker with one of Murray/White running point.

Spurs would have an answer for any look a team tries to throw at them. Not to mention being 12-13 deep, so if nobody can't hit a shot you can sub in Beli, Mills or Forbes for quick spurts to hit some 3s. I really think that team could beat any team in the NBA as of right now if everything clicks the right way and the young guys make a leap.
    So yeah adding a 3-and-D SF is key for this season. Covington would be incredible, Crowder ok. Maybe they can pull it off at the deadline, that would improve our chances big time. Not having that starting SF player on the team makes a big difference

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Green learned very quickly that his UNC credentials could only take him very far.

Lyles earned a ton of money for being a lottery pick. Let's hope he's learned his lesson by being in his 3rd team in 5 seasons.

Unfortunately, laziness is in his bones. His role is simple with the Spurs, play defense or don't play at all. He's never shown he could play defense, so maybe he isn't going to play at all!
    One thing when anybody asked a Spurs player, they enjoyed the Spurs family values, camaraderie, coffee gang. No excuses, but a 19 year old getting shipped in Utah. I hope Lyle has better experience with Spurs, and should realize soon or he would have a very short career, a has been, former lottery pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree. Having Morris renege really hurt PATFO's offseason plan. Having Morris, and Carroll shored up the perimeter and overall defense, as well as getting Murray back. Having Gay lead the 2nd unit/6th man role was very intriguing. Other than figuring out the guard rotation with White, Walker, Forbes, etc...,and a 3rd big, there wasn't a lot of other moves PATFO could of made imo.
    Sure Morris hurt and I had them at an A with Morris. But results matter and while I don’t blame them for Morris, Rudy was on team last year, Murray/White/Lonnie were a part of the team and adding Carroll/Lyles less Bertans is not a whole lot for a team that went all in on a win now trade with DeRozan vs a future oriented package.

I’ve been high on young3 more than most and understand that internal improvement is crucial; however SA needed to lean in really hard and so far results wise it has not been that. Grading on what has happened, it’s not enough and they need to prove they will make bold moves to give the team a chance to win now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs would have an answer for any look a team tries to throw at them. Not to mention being 12-13 deep, so if nobody can't hit a shot you can sub in Beli, Mills or Forbes for quick spurts to hit some 3s. I really think that team could beat any team in the NBA as of right now if everything clicks the right way and the young guys make a leap.
    So yeah adding a 3-and-D SF is key for this season. Covington would be incredible, Crowder ok. Maybe they can pull it off at the deadline, that would improve our chances big time. Not having that starting SF player on the team makes a big difference
    I'd slow your roll on Covington (and Crowder). As a point of attack defender against big SF's, well, think back to the Philly-Boston series where Tatum beasted them. That was on Covington. He's much better as a help defender than a 1 on 1 guy (and Lebron and Kwitter are a LOT better than Tatum). Crowder is also a decent defender, but I'm not sure he's better than Carrol. I'm not sure that PATFO really wants him, given he'd put guaranteed money on the board in summer 2021, when they are looking to have a lot of space to play with (LMA and Derozan gone for sure).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If that is the case moving DeRozan and LMA for future assets should be top priority. If you really believe that, then move forward with a plan.

But I don’t; SA isn’t crazy far off from having a punchers chance and a legit starting level PF would be a big boost. Trading a couple picks is worthwhile with the amount of young talent already on board and you can recoup that if need by by trading DeRozan/LmA if things don’t work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bruh, you think most of us want SA to fail? No. We are judging this based on certain things. Of course we would be thrilled if Lyles turns out to be a legit starting level + player. It’s just that with what we’ve seen, given the landscape, other than being a massive homer there is nothing LOGICAL to be signing praises right now.

It’s not like this a proven guy with tons of talent and people are knocking it. This person has to prove it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Then trade Derozan and Aldridge and get even more picks. There's no use to keeping them on the roster if that's what you think.

I never want to see Anderson back on the Spurs. Anderson is probably far better than Lyles, but damn, I was so glad to see him gone.
    Me too, chopper. But it's come to that tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what do you think should be done?

Spurs are having best of both worlds...they’re competing and growing their younger players. Now some here don’t think they’re competing or have a chance to get to the WCF..

Spurs we’re looking to have a great draft, showing promise with Walker, and good FA moves...

Morris situation sucked but so many more things can change to fix that or even improve upon. Spurs just aren’t desperate to make HUGE changes or risks, and they have every right to feel that way.

The NBA is wide open and they got a shot to make noise.

If you don’t mind try to give me an example you wanted to see PATFO do going forward?
    I think a direction should be picked. If the goal for SA is just make the playoffs with no real threat of more, then my mindset is shaped by the fact that they can do that without DeRozan. They already proved that and have a way better team (sans DeRozan) than they did the year they made it without Kawhi/DeRozan.

But what I want to see is SA getting aggressive with future picks to land a starting caliber, ceiling raising player. Morris was great because it reasonably accomplished that WITHOUT trading any core youth or picks.

But now? That fell apart but they should be very aggressive with picks. I agree that win-building is a great strategy; but there is nothing that should prevent them from taking aggressive but calculated shots to win now with cir stances in the West changing.

I don’t want to trade any of Walker/Murray/Lonnie to improve unless it’s for a surefire young star (Beal). That is very unlikely but should be explored.

That leaves us with SA using Beli/Forbes/Mills and anyone else (including Poeltl whom I really like) plus future firsts IF it nets a “Morris” caliber player. It’s not ideal to give up a first for Morris, but if that opportunity exists with the amount of youth SA already has it’s a fair price to pay to make good on the deal you made with trading Kawhi for DeRozan while still having plenty of flexibility, future picks and young players.

So call ORL and see if someone like Aaron Gordon could be had for salaries + a pick or two. Call CHA and see if Marvin Williams is available.

It doesn’t have to be an all star; just someone quality enough to crack the top 7 rotation and give SA a reasonable enough shot and making more noise than currently constructed.

Thread Information