Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/trey-lyles...orris-reneges/

Unfortunate situation. There's a chance it works out long-term but the team's chances for next season took a hit with this news...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welcome to sa trey mamba​ lyles

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks, timvp!

Informative and sobering. Small markets are facing some incredible challenges.
    This felt like a LeBron move from the get go. That really must be so deflating to
    small market teams.
    The next CBA should be intense. Hope the NBA doesn’t eat itself by then.

I bet Pop goes out swingin’ in his final years as far as fighting this stuff.
    How many Klutch sports guys are on Team USA?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I want to know is which party, Rich Paul or the Knicks, instigated the contract discussions AFTER Morris verbally accepted the Spurs offer?

After Bullock "failed" his physical, if the Knicks contacted Paul and said they can offer $15 million, then Paul had a fiduciary duty to convey the offer to his client.

But if after Bullock failed the physical, if Paul contacted NY seeking a better deal than the Spurs, then he is slimy POS.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp.

I know why we did the Lyles deal, but I just don’t think he does anything for us. Of course, my thought on Morris was that he would do something destructive at some point. I didn’t know it would be before the season even starts.

I think the Morris move, and subsequently this one shows that the Spurs were desperate to fill that hole in the roster. I don’t think that hole got filled at all with this move. I hope Lyles proves me wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are in such solid shape going forward, this is likely just a blip.

Morris reminded me of every other sluggish front-court FA that passed on the Spurs, from Lamond Murray on. (Gosh, the Spurs never recovered from that one.)

Lyles has the profile of every player the Spurs rescued from the scrap heap -- a failed prospect ready to work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Morris reminded me of every other sluggish front-court FA that passed on the Spurs, from Lamond Murray on. (Gosh, the Spurs never recovered from that one.)

Lyles has the profile of every player the Spurs rescued from the scrap heap -- a failed prospect ready to work.
    Thanks Timvp. Ready to work is the underlying word here. If he is, Spurs could unluck a lottery pick player with great size and youth. But I really hoped the Spurs tried harder acquiring Morris, maybe tried to shed salary offering 2nd pick plus Belli to a contender or something creative. Morris, while considered a hot head, is what the Spurs is lacking, someone who fitted the SJax mold. But enough crying over spilled milk. We got Lyles and I sure hope he’s turn a leaf.

PATFO still has moves to take, as mentioned trading Beli to clear minutes for budding Lonnie. I hope they can package Beli plus pick to get that hard-nosed defender, maybe Covington?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sucks that a team like the Spurs, who have done everything right in order to build and maintain a winning roster, get totaled raped by Kawhi and Uncle Dennis. Essentially, the Spurs long-term future was set, post Duncan. Imagine our young talent maturing with Kawhi at the core. And then, while we're starting to get back on our feet a little bit, Morris and Rich Paul comes in and kick us in the shin and knock us back down a notch. Spurs can't win dealing with fvck s like that. Some teams are poorly managed and deserve that sort of treatment...the Spurs, on the other hand, have just had their future torpedoed by assholes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp.

I know why we did the Lyles deal, but I just don’t think he does anything for us. Of course, my thought on Morris was that he would do something destructive at some point. I didn’t know it would be before the season even starts.

I think the Morris move, and subsequently this one shows that the Spurs were desperate to fill that hole in the roster. I don’t think that hole got filled at all with this move. I hope Lyles proves me wrong.
    Well, going back to the Beli trade thread...the Spurs were apparently targeting a big who could shoot. Lyles kind of fits that mold...I guess? (Even with his atrocious .255 year last year, he averaged .381 just the year prior and is still a career .331 shooter from deep). Just have to hope he can have a bounce-back year, tbh.

The problem is now we still need to fill that defensive 3/4 void that Nephew (and now Morris) left wide-open, have less assets to do so, and the market has dried up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It sucks that a team like the Spurs, who have done everything right in order to build and maintain a winning roster, get totaled raped by Kawhi and Uncle Dennis. Essentially, the Spurs long-term future was set, post Duncan. Imagine our young talent maturing with Kawhi at the core. And then, while we're starting to get back on our feet a little bit, Morris and Rich Paul comes in and kick us in the shin and knock us back down a notch. Spurs can't win dealing with fvck s like that. Some teams are poorly managed and deserve that sort of treatment...the Spurs, on the other hand, have just had their future torpedoed by assholes.
    Just a reminder that life ain't fair, tbh.

Meanwhile, the Lakers who have been astoundingly mismanaged and one of the worst organizations over the last 5 years end up with Lebron and Davis, and will have ring-chasers flocking to their door on shady, under-the-rug deals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    blame poop for not having that LOB mindset after 2014

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just a reminder that life ain't fair, tbh.

Meanwhile, the Lakers who have been astoundingly mismanaged and one of the worst organizations over the last 5 years end up with Lebron and Davis, and will have ring-chasers flocking to their door on shady, under-the-rug deals.
    It's funny, I used to be a huge college sports fan and booster/supporter, but saw the inequities first-hand of mid-major teams trying to compete with the bigger schools, and all of the preferential treatment the top conferences get from the NCAA. Basically that soured my taste for college sports over time, and now I really don't even follow college sports at all.

Now the NBA is reverting back to a league where only the major markets will compete for les, similar to when I was a kid. The Spurs, somehow, broke that mold. It's been an amazing, amazing run, and the purity of how San Antonio built a championship culture without reverting to underhanded deals or preferential league treatment, and how guys like David, Tim, Manu and Tony put the team, and the city of San Antonio first, over and over again, was awesome to see. Really, the 3rd most likely NBA destination in the state of Texas, much less the NBA, became a dynasty as a result. I'm not sure we'll ever see anything like that again. It was incredible to witness.

And all of that is not to say that I'm not hoping for the Spurs to continue the tradition and return to the top of the mountain, but damn, you see how amazingly fortunate we were all those years. I have hopes for our young core to develop, but it's going to still take a superstar of the ilk of a Tim Duncan to make it all come together. This city has always been blessed with great players who loved the community, so we'll see. *fingers crossed*

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's funny, I used to be a huge college sports fan and booster/supporter, but saw the inequities first-hand of mid-major teams trying to compete with the bigger schools, and all of the preferential treatment the top conferences get from the NCAA. Basically that soured my taste for college sports over time, and now I really don't even follow college sports at all.

Now the NBA is reverting back to a league where only the major markets will compete for les, similar to when I was a kid. The Spurs, somehow, broke that mold. It's been an amazing, amazing run, and the purity of how San Antonio built a championship culture without reverting to underhanded deals or preferential league treatment, and how guys like David, Tim, Manu and Tony put the team, and the city of San Antonio first, over and over again, was awesome to see. Really, the 3rd most likely NBA destination in the state of Texas, much less the NBA, became a dynasty as a result. I'm not sure we'll ever see anything like that again. It was incredible to witness.

And all of that is not to say that I'm not hoping for the Spurs to continue the tradition and return to the top of the mountain, but damn, you see how amazingly fortunate we were all those years. I have hopes for our young core to develop, but it's going to still take a superstar of the ilk of a Tim Duncan to make it all come together. This city has always been blessed with great players who loved the community, so we'll see. *fingers crossed*
    I'll mention that ESPN had a major role in spoiling college basketball. They favor teams and conferences enormously -- Kentucky, Duke, UNC, the ACC -- and essentially drive players onto those teams. They could give a about anybody else.

This same thing is infecting the NBA. Sure, ESPN has long been atrocious, but they've managed to play a role in busting small markets free from the narrative. They played an outsize role in steering Leonard to the Lakers, or very much trying to. It's amazing how many general fans still regurgitate the narratives they constructed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good write up like usual.

Hopefully Lyles realizes that this might be his last step before being out of the NBA and comes into camp in shape and ready to learn. If he has that mindset he is going to be a good addition to this team. Hopefully he turns his career around for the better

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll mention that ESPN had a major role in spoiling college basketball. They favor teams and conferences enormously -- Kentucky, Duke, UNC, the ACC -- and essentially drive players onto those teams. They could give a about anybody else.

This same thing is infecting the NBA. Sure, ESPN has long been atrocious, but they've managed to play a role in busting small markets free from the narrative. They played an outsize role in steering Leonard to the Lakers, or very much trying to. It's amazing how many general fans still regurgitate the narratives they constructed.
    ESPN paid eleventy trillion for the broadcast rights (which of course go into league revenues and then ultimately the players, it's why the cap has increased by 50% over the last few years) and needs its return. So, yes, no surprise they want large market teams to do well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN paid eleventy trillion for the broadcast rights (which of course go into league revenues and then ultimately the players, it's why the cap has increased by 50% over the last few years) and needs its return. So, yes, no surprise they want large market teams to do well.
    They're invested in the SEC football and ACC basketball and so drive those narratives. This last year all we heard was the Alabama Crimson Tide were possibly the greatest team ever, they could beat an NFL team. And Duke was possibly the greatest team ever and could go undefeated. Both teams' years ended in delightful misery.

This won't get any better, especially as the Mouse controls more and more of the sports/entertainment landscape.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, going back to the Beli trade thread...the Spurs were apparently targeting a big who could shoot. Lyles kind of fits that mold...I guess? (Even with his atrocious .255 year last year, he averaged .381 just the year prior and is still a career .331 shooter from deep). Just have to hope he can have a bounce-back year, tbh.

The problem is now we still need to fill that defensive 3/4 void that Nephew (and now Morris) left wide-open, have less assets to do so, and the market has dried up.
    I recall the thread just saying they were looking for a forward. Maybe that meant 4/5. If we kept Morris, that would've made sense, but seems Spurs legit knew Morris could bail so I imagine it was someone like him who could play some SF too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers are ed. They distilled 6 years of lottery picks down to Kyle Kuzma, a horrificly slow front court scorer.

They have no draft picks for the next 50 years or so.

They think Danny Green is some kind of savior (I live in LA and hear this on sportstalk radio). Danny Green?

The Lakers have little present and no future. They are such an important (but mismanaged) brand, at some point the League may have to step in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    morris was a salty player that the spurs could have used since they lack that in their overall persona, but he also seems like a total ass and not sure a team devoid of the sort of leadership that tim, manu or time once brought, as well as such a young roster, really needed that kind of personality in the locker room. if lyles can at least stretch the floor then i'd be overall okay with it, especially since it can be reasonably argued that morris was essentially nothing more than a tier three talent.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers are ed. They distilled 6 years of lottery picks down to Kyle Kuzma, a horrificly slow front court scorer.

They think Danny Green is some kind of savior (I live in LA and hear this on sportstalk radio). Danny Green?

The Lakers have little present and no future. They are such an important (but mismanaged) brand, at some point the League may have to step in.
    Millenial at ude towards things. Take care of today, buy ourselves out tomorrow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Millenial at ude towards things. Take care of today, buy ourselves out tomorrow.
    Sounds a whole lot like Reaganomics also tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A 32 year old Danny Green coming off a Championship season?

Having secured the last big payday of his career?

Paired in LA with LeBron and all the clubs he wants to spend his money on?

What could possibly go wrong????

(I think that's why they also got KCP and Avery Bradley at the 2-Danny Green will make a wonderful trade asset at the trade deadline for Marcus Morris)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excellent analysis. Thanks, timvp.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LeBron's fraud sporting agency. Should not reward this crap, promote depth from within.

Good writeup tho LJ

Thread Information