Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I don't believe this offer. It doesn't make any sense for the Clippers. All points to them knowing exactly what Kawhi was doing and wanted. Hence offering money to Morris before acquiring the ''second star'' required by KL didn't make any sense both moneywise and rosterwise.

This probably is totally made up and comes from some agent not liking very much Rich Paul...
    Mo Harkless filled it in a trade. He is making almost 12 million.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Rich Paul screwed him, that's his problem for hiring him as his agent. Morris made a commitment and then reneged - that was his choice.

Negotiate all you want to, with whoever you want to. But when you make a commitment so firm that the team deals a player to make room? Keep your word. Morris and Rich Paul deserve each other.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supposedly, Paul decided to not keep Morris after Morris reneged on the NYK deal. This makes some sense given that Paul had potentially bigger client in DJM to consider. The last thing he'd probably want is for PATFO to not come to the table on a Murray extension just to get back a bit more commission for Morris. Getting Lyles to come to the Spurs seems like an attempt to smooth things over, and the Spurs agreeing to that deal seems to signal their acquiescence. Both sides (PATFO and Klutch) have a lot more to gain from working together than Morris will provide to either side.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Supposedly, Paul decided to not keep Morris after Morris reneged on the NYK deal. This makes some sense given that Paul had potentially bigger client in DJM to consider. The last thing he'd probably want is for PATFO to not come to the table on a Murray extension just to get back a bit more commission for Morris. Getting Lyles to come to the Spurs seems like an attempt to smooth things over, and the Spurs agreeing to that deal seems to signal their acquiescence. Both sides (PATFO and Klutch) have a lot more to gain from working together than Morris will provide to either side.
    This sounds logical, and hopefully is the truth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repeat of Boozer's agent dropping him, if this is true. But then why is it reported as Morris firing Paul?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He costed Noel a 73 mil contract by Dallas.

Morris probably realized he was taken for a ride and now looks like an ass.

Klutch doesn't care anyway, LBJ brings in stars and that's where they make money, not the 4% on Morris or Noel...
    IDK man, the way the salary cap is structured there is a ton of money for midlevel players. Easier to find a couple of Marcus Morris than it is one Kawhi or Anthony Davis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    However, you would think he would drop him before the NY contract went through if he was feeling so ethical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That sounds good and all. The problem is, I don't see any way Morris could have made that deal with the Knicks without Paul's help. And nothing about Paul's history makes me think he suddenly grew a conscience. So it's not like he can come to the Spurs and wash his hands by blaming it on Morris.

Maybe the Spurs and Paul have agreed to both pretend like it never happened because they both have to keep doing business in the league - and with each other if DJM stays with Klutch. That's probably the wise course. But I still think Paul is a slimy bas , and I'm still hoping for some good old fashioned karma going his way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As i said since the beginning this probably goes beyond DJ and has to do with Paul’s reputation and ability to negotiate with GMs. Morris did damage to that by reneging im sure Paul wasn't happy with. This us all on Morris im pretty sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That sounds good and all. The problem is, I don't see any way Morris could have made that deal with the Knicks without Paul's help. And nothing about Paul's history makes me think he suddenly grew a conscience. So it's not like he can come to the Spurs and wash his hands by blaming it on Morris.

Maybe the Spurs and Paul have agreed to both pretend like it never happened because they both have to keep doing business in the league - and with each other if DJM stays with Klutch. That's probably the wise course. But I still think Paul is a slimy bas , and I'm still hoping for some good old fashioned karma going his way.
    Willing to bet Dolan and the Knicks’ front office bypassed Paul and went straight to Morris.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repeat of Boozer's agent dropping him, if this is true. But then why is it reported as Morris firing Paul?
    Same reason it was reported that Fegan was fired by DAJ after that Dallas fiasco. It's better for both sides if a player gets the credit for firing an agent when something happens that is believed to be (clearly) on the player. Like the people "in the know" will know how it really went down, but it'd hurt the player more than it would help the agent if the agent fires clients. And if you're the type of agent that is fine with hurting a player's image, even if they are just an ex-client, it'll hurt you more down the line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If the Knicks called Paul and offered Morris a contract, it's Paul's duty to tell that to Morris. The situation would be much worse if he didn't. It's not like Bullock is a Klutch client and Paul would know exactly how the physical was going. He likely told Morris about it and Morris wanted to go there instead. To Paul, the increase in his commission isn't worth the loss of face, so he probably didn't want Morris to take the deal. When Morris took it anyway, Paul offered up another client on a silver platter. Maybe that does earn him more money this year (he should get the commission on both deals for about $20 Million, and he'd've gotten the commission on only like $13 Million had Morris signed with SA and Lyles taken a min somewhere), but getting a sweet five-year deal for Murray would earn him even more, and I don't see any way another team would pay DJM more than PATFO would.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Knicks called Paul and offered Morris a contract, it's Paul's duty to tell that to Morris. The situation would be much worse if he didn't. It's not like Bullock is a Klutch client and Paul would know exactly how the physical was going. He likely told Morris about it and Morris wanted to go there instead. To Paul, the increase in his commission isn't worth the loss of face, so he probably didn't want Morris to take the deal. When Morris took it anyway, Paul offered up another client on a silver platter. Maybe that does earn him more money this year (he should get the commission on both deals for about $20 Million, and he'd've gotten the commission on only like $13 Million had Morris signed with SA and Lyles taken a min somewhere), but getting a sweet five-year deal for Murray would earn him even more, and I don't see any way another team would pay DJM more than PATFO would.

Meh. I guess that's true. There's a path there where Paul wouldn't be responsible. Good point.

If it's true, Morris really screwed over Klutch as well. Paul would have some major fence mending to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm guessing the Clips offer was a 3/$41 million? That would have been before the Kawhi/George signing. Even so, he could have signed with a stable ascending team in LA, with a good coach and owner, instead of signing with the worst team in the league buried behind three other PFs.
    What a horrific stupid mistake. He had a chance to ring next year.
    No where does it say he never heard about the offer. He is also more worried about a paycheck. Next offseason will be ripe with teams willing to pay vs this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes no sense even if it was mutual. The conversation was probably: Marcus Morris - "Bro this offseason you really screwed me", Rich Paul "True, I'm no good for you, you should probably leave, Marcus Morris - "bye!". Marcus Morris probably can't badmouth him because he has a lot of clout with players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the little I know of Marcus Morris, he isn’t someone known to keep his mouth shut. His version will probably come out at some point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On a tangent, did Bullock ever get a contract? Or is he still in ICU with plantar fasciitis?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mmm... this is some good candy.
    Propers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IDK man, the way the salary cap is structured there is a ton of money for midlevel players. Easier to find a couple of Marcus Morris than it is one Kawhi or Anthony Davis.
    Not for LBJ agency, apparently.
    In any case, agents make 3-4% of the salary, but 20-30% of endorsements and other deals they broker. Not much to broker for a Morris or a Noel, but hundreds of millions for an AD or even Simmons, potentially.

(That's what people seem to not understand, that for stars the NBA contracts are just a vehicle to more lucrative businesses. Many say Uncle "lost" 80mil to Kawhi, which is peanusts comparing to what he can broker for him through Ballmer. Just an example.)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if the NBA has the authority to not do business with Rich Paul and now's he trying to play nice. Imagine an agency gathering more or all the good players and only letting then sign with certain teams to create super teams loaded with said agency's clients. I know it's unlikely but it could happen. The NBA would have a serious problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if the NBA has the authority to not do business with Rich Paul and now's he trying to play nice. Imagine an agency gathering more or all the good players and only letting then sign with certain teams to create super teams loaded with said agency's clients. I know it's unlikely but it could happen. The NBA would have a serious problem.
    Didn't you get the memo? NBA teams don't even have "owners" anymore...

Whatever makes the new gambling app work, Silver will go for it, that's the only "problem" the league is interested in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know we hate Paul... But let's not underestimate Morris' ability to be a

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How abt DJM drop him before extension?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Problem I have is that NBA deals haven't been enforceable until signed tbh. It's a league problem. There is a lot of going back and forth and contingencies built in. And just bc an agreement is announced doesn't mean there's an agreement tbh. It's too much to ask a guy to leave $5 million on the table when he had already let it be known to his agent that he wanted to get paid and an offer for more sprung up while he wasn't signed. The NBA allows offers to be made to players that are not under contract. All sorts of problems can pop up. Spurs wouldn't have been in a position to even offer the money to Morris until they dealt Bertans into another teams capspace anyways. The NYK offer popped up almost concurrently when that happened bc it was reported that the Spurs knew before hand and there were rumors about it kept under wraps. Heck Spurs were looking to deal Belinelli to get a shooting forward b4 this became public. Paul jumped the gun on that announcement while there were still other possibilities and Morris wanted more $ all along which he knew. Something similar happened with Noel this season. After his agreement was announced another subsequently dropped that he was holding off to consider other offers.

Thread Information