Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rivalry with the Knicks.
    let's let DRob and Patrick Ewing settle it in an MMA grudge match.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can I blame Morris and Paul AND the Knicks? Just trying to be fair.

Maybe not. This story says it's all on Marcus Morris. If it's true, it pretty well clears things up:

https://sports.yahoo.com/rumor-marcu...125528754.html

"The buzz at Summer League was Morris was disappointed with the market for his services, which he thought would be more robust. He took the Spurs offer that Paul set up, but when the Knicks came with $5 million more per year on a one-year deal — which makes Morris a free agent again in a much weaker class next summer — he wanted it. Paul, however, was not part of those talks and urged him to stick with the original Spurs deal, according to Marc Berman of New York Post."

"Morris’ super-agent, Rich Paul, was not involved directly in Morris breaking his verbal agreement with the Spurs, according to a source, and the Knicks and Morris worked on a new deal together. The source reports Paul preferred Morris stick to his original agreement and the two are headed toward a breakup over the incident."
    Last edited by ZeusWillJudge; 07-19-2019 at 11:41 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And here's the story by Berman, about the fact that the Knicks "Big Two" is going to be Julius Randle and Marcus Morris.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/16/marcus...lming-top-duo/
    "There’s a bunch of starry tandems in the NBA this season: the Lakers’ LeBron James and Anthony Davis, the Nets’ Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant, the Clippers’ Kawhi Leonard and Paul George, the Rockets’ James Harden and Russell Westbrook, the Warriors’ Stephen Curry and Draymond Green. The Knicks? They now have Julius Randle and Marcus Morris."

Morris would have been a good addition in SA, because of the role he would have been taking on. But as half of a lead duo, not so much. Between pissing on the Spurs, and how bad he's likely to look in NY, this whole deal may be a money loser for him when free agency comes around next year.

I'm glad the sonofa didn't come here, TBH.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And here's the story by Berman, about the fact that the Knicks "Big Two" is going to be Julius Randle and Marcus Morris.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/16/marcus...lming-top-duo/
    "There’s a bunch of starry tandems in the NBA this season: the Lakers’ LeBron James and Anthony Davis, the Nets’ Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant, the Clippers’ Kawhi Leonard and Paul George, the Rockets’ James Harden and Russell Westbrook, the Warriors’ Stephen Curry and Draymond Green. The Knicks? They now have Julius Randle and Marcus Morris."

Morris would have been a good addition in SA, because of the role he would have been taking on. But as half of a lead duo, not so much. Between pissing on the Spurs, and how bad he's likely to look in NY, this whole deal may be a money loser for him when free agency comes around next year.

I'm glad the sonofa didn't come here, TBH.
    Like Forrest said, “Stupid is as stupid does”.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knicks still salty over 99 nba finals...
    also - not surprised the best organization is sports doesn’t get along with the worst organization in sports.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt that Spurs was colluding or whatever NY meant “operating outside of NBA norm” acquiring Porzingis. I wish PATFO would do something bold like that for once. But that’s a 10 yr old Dolan getting back

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did the Spurs do in regards to Porzingis?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Knicks making up some BS to justify their sleaziness.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What did the Spurs do in regards to Porzingis?
    They aren't saying... exactly. Just that they think the Spurs did something ethically wrong. I think the key is that nobody heard about this supposed ethical violation until the Morris deal.

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/s...ngis-was-in-ny

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So do we think us signing trey Lyles was a desperation move by us?? I mean Morris is much better but I think lyles could be really good in are system

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has nothing to do with the Knicks. Morris makes a deal, it's up to him to keep it. Teams have the right to make counter offers.

Rich Paul is like a high end contractor, he will overbid the out of a contract because he can. If they hit he scores big, if they don't he has a lot of fall back room. The role players get ed but most of them are dumb as stumps anyhow. It's like doing business with ing Lenny from Mice and Men.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reading a bunch of Google articles around 8 January 2019, and picking pieces it seems:

1) The Spurs were reported to have "significant interest" in pursuing Porzingas this off-season.
    2) The Spurs didn't have the roster and salary structure to compete in a mid-season trade.
    3) Porzingas listed San Antonio as a team Kristaps would like to play for.

What's missing is a "smoking gun" linking the Spurs to the reported interest.

Put that together, I could imagine that the Knicks thought the Spurs leaked off-season interest sabotaging offered January trade packages.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So do we think us signing trey Lyles was a desperation move by us?? I mean Morris is much better but I think lyles could be really good in are system
    Desperation is a harsh word...but it was definitely trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

Morris is the much better, more immediate fit and could have lifted the Spurs into near-contender status. He is a proven vet and a gritty defender.

Lyles is more of a win-later move...he has underperformed so far in his career and is basically a coin-flip to pan out. If he does, he could end up being a good pickup for the Spurs eventually...if not, the Spurs can cut him loose pretty easily.

Either way, the Spurs had to move on once they realized that Morris was a lost cause, so they went after the next best option available at the time. The only other option would have been saving the MLE for a player on the buyout market, but that comes with a lot of question marks...who is going to get released, will they want to come to the Spurs, etc?

Lyles will hopefully be as good as any of the realistic buyout options, and at least the Spurs won't get stuck with their pants around their ankles.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has nothing to do with the Knicks. Morris makes a deal, it's up to him to keep it. Teams have the right to make counter offers.

I disagree with that. If the Spurs poached a guy who had already made a verbal commitment, and the team had gotten rid of an asset to make room? I would call that a chicken move.

I don't think many teams would have gone that far, just because they all have to live within this weird moratorium framework. There have to be some unwritten rules, or teams can't make moves freely. It's bad enough when a player reneges, but it happens once in a while. But when a team has made other roster moves, it's just not done. Read that article I linked - it sounds like there are other execs who aren't impressed with it.

But you have to see that when Marcus Morris would be one of the two best players on your team, you're desperate. ing Knicks blew $70M in cap space, and the best they could do was Marcus Morris. Not surprising that a team with that kind of ty leadership would be the one to pull something like poaching Morris.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The FA market was picked over. Teams draft raw players with potential - it's risk/reward. Lyles is an aftermarket version of that. He was a lottery pick. If the Spurs can develop him, it was a good pickup. If he's a lot cause, they only owe him something like $1.35M next year, and they can cut him loose. I'm sure the Spurs saw something in him, and thought he was worth the effort. And there wasn't anyone else available that was going to change this season.

I thought they might have waited until mid-season to see what was available, and used the roster spot to give one of their young guys a shot. But I can see that Lyles could have a future if he can reclaim some of his potential.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Desperation is a harsh word...but it was definitely trying to make lemonade out of lemons.

Morris is the much better, more immediate fit and could have lifted the Spurs into near-contender status. He is a proven vet and a gritty defender.

Lyles is more of a win-later move...he has underperformed so far in his career and is basically a coin-flip to pan out. If he does, he could end up being a good pickup for the Spurs eventually...if not, the Spurs can cut him loose pretty easily.

Either way, the Spurs had to move on once they realized that Morris was a lost cause, so they went after the next best option available at the time. The only other option would have been saving the MLE for a player on the buyout market, but that comes with a lot of question marks...who is going to get released, will they want to come to the Spurs, etc?

Lyles will hopefully be as good as any of the realistic buyout options, and at least the Spurs won't get stuck with their pants around their ankles.
    I’m excited with Lyles signing. It’s not a long term. And if he pans out as a lottery pick that a lot of teams expected him to be, we got a mobile big with passing and outside shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m excited with Lyles signing. It’s not a long term. And if he pans out as a lottery pick that a lot of teams expected him to be, we got a mobile big with passing and outside shot.
    I am not necessarily excited, it I am very hopeful. He is the definition of low risk high reward.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is total bull coming from New York. They were salary dumping because they thought they were going to get Kevin Durant.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anything, the Knicks were tampering with Durant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The FA market was picked over. Teams draft raw players with potential - it's risk/reward. Lyles is an aftermarket version of that. He was a lottery pick. If the Spurs can develop him, it was a good pickup. If he's a lot cause, they only owe him something like $1.35M next year, and they can cut him loose. I'm sure the Spurs saw something in him, and thought he was worth the effort. And there wasn't anyone else available that was going to change this season.

I thought they might have waited until mid-season to see what was available, and used the roster spot to give one of their young guys a shot. But I can see that Lyles could have a future if he can reclaim some of his potential.
    Spurs could’ve waited on the buyout, but pretty much everybody knows how 1st year players grab Spurs system - you need a year. So Lyles have a benefit of the Summer to train and the coaches to integrate his game. Pop don’t really do “on the fly.” Any buyout signings had been insurance players, not really seeing significant contribution. So Spurs has the intention to use Lyles not just an insurance. He could sub either PF/C. Or he could clean-up, depending on how hard he works. I’m rooting for the kid. 2 very good teams already gave up on him. He needs to hang on to his last opportunity with the best organization, or his career in the NBA could be very short and he’s only 23.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not necessarily excited, it I am very hopeful. He is the definition of low risk high reward.
    Best case, poor man Boris Diaw. The kid got passing skills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs could’ve waited on the buyout, but pretty much everybody knows how 1st year players grab Spurs system - you need a year. So Lyles have a benefit of the Summer to train and the coaches to integrate his game. Pop don’t really do “on the fly.” Any buyout signings had been insurance players, not really seeing significant contribution. So Spurs has the intention to use Lyles not just an insurance. He could sub either PF/C. Or he could clean-up, depending on how hard he works. I’m rooting for the kid. 2 very good teams already gave up on him. He needs to hang on to his last opportunity with the best organization, or his career in the NBA could be very short and he’s only 23.

Lyles has been with two teams. Something went wrong in his second year both places. It shows up most in his shooting percentages, but also the fact that both teams got rid of him after the second years. Maybe it's at ude or immaturity, and he gets crossways with his coaches, I don't know. But his Per36 numbers show steady improvement in most things, except for FG%. If his shooting percentages were consistent, his stats would actually tell a pretty different story.

He's a weak rebounder for his size, but not to the point of being useless. And he's shot .380 from 3P in two different seasons. I think the whole thing comes down to whether he's willing to work and accept coaching. The Spurs are likely to ask more of him than anyone else has, just to see what he's made of. If he's smart enough to see it as an opportunity, he'll be a good pickup. If he doesn't, he'll be the first cut of the next offseason.

3 stars and a sun
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Latvian Connection?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just the fact that we are talking about the Knicks lowers us to their ty lvl tbh.

Thread Information