Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So much hate for DeRozan in one place he's better than yall make him out to be. This was his first year in The System. Chill and let's see if Pop can teach him some .

/ortradehimforAaronGordon
    I don't have anything against DeMar. He's a quality guy, and I would never trade him for junk. But he's also not the best fit on this team, and if we have the chance to get someone who fits better and leaves more usage for our younger players, I'm down with that.

Ridding the world of Alien Scum...Relentlessly. Man In Black's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Talent evaluation is a weak point here and everywhere else. Where do people gather their haterade from?
    #unreal

Players always improve in Year 2 under Pop so why bail early?

All those people say BEAL will perform in the playoffs? He's been in the league 7 seasons and missed the playoffs 3 times. How can you perform when you don't make it to the playoffs consistently?
    Otto Porter? REALLY?

When it comes to DeRozan, he just simply has to attempt a few more 3's to keep opposing defenses from collapsing the space. He doesn't have to go strictly to shooting 3's and attempting layups.
    Don't let the 4 Letter influence you. Mid-Range is still a critical component to every good scorer's arsenal. His defense needs work but let's be real. The entire team suffered when Murray, White, and Walker went down early. To rely on Mills, Belinelli, and Forbes is to die a slow death and yet the Spurs under Pop competed. Since those other guys are fully healthy, the load gets re-balanced and now the team defense improves. It helps to add an All-NBA Defensive Team Member and another who got lots of votes for the same team.

DeRozan ain't the issue really. Calling him DeFrozen is really weak as well. Karl Malone, John Stockton, and Charles Barkley are all legendary, they just couldn't get past Jordan. For DeRozan in the East, it was the same thing with LeBron. Now that LBJ is out West, even he no longer has an easy path to a Conference Final. DeRozan is right where he wants to be. Contract be damned. You all keep saying he can bail for elsewhere but the reality is, in today's NBA, who's paying big dollars elsewhere?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the hate DeRozan gets is from misdirected anger from the initial KL/Uncle Dennis bull , followed by how little Pop and RC got for KL in that trade. Like it or not, DeRozan will forever be tied to that trade, compounded by any future successes of KL.
    Agreed it’s difficult to replace a top 3 player, but Demar’s inability to perform in pressured situation does not help. Not only that, his game is flawed in today’s NBA. In a regular season back in TOR in the East maybe, but playoffs and especially in the loaded West, his game is flawed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR + Metu for Gordon-Bamba-draft pick (or Okeke) makes sense
    DDR is the best player of all them and can be the slasher and secondary play maker they need
    Gordon is expendable after they signed Aminu and considering that him and Isaac plays the same role of Gordon
    We need a back up c at a not so big price (LMA prefers to play pf, Poeltl could start and next summer is going to be paid) and they just signed Birch that last year played more and better than Bamba
    Its true that with this trade we are without a true small forward but, after all, DDR wasn't a real sf and if we plan to play the three young guys, Walker (and Gordon/Carroll)could take his place and minutes ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Going with advanced stats: He's 134th in RPM, 75th in WINS, 90th in ORPM, 312th in DRPM. Sorry, there's just no way he's a top 30 player.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/4
    There's no context behind that though. Guys that we all recognize as role players can be really high on those lists because they fit really well into a system or are the missing piece for a team. That doesn't mean that individually they are better than a guy like DeRozan. It's like the Draymond/Aldridge argument...yeah Draymond is probably a better role player than Aldridge is a #1 or #2 but that doesn't ing mean he should be getting all-star nods over him.

Also, you can't just do that for DeRozan and not everyone else. Theres plenty of guys who are viewed as stars but dont have impressive advanced metrics. Klay is widely considered a great two way star and had a worse DRPM than DeRozan just last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Talent evaluation is a weak point here and everywhere else. Where do people gather their haterade from?
    #unreal

Players always improve in Year 2 under Pop so why bail early?

All those people say BEAL will perform in the playoffs? He's been in the league 7 seasons and missed the playoffs 3 times. How can you perform when you don't make it to the playoffs consistently?
    Otto Porter? REALLY?

When it comes to DeRozan, he just simply has to attempt a few more 3's to keep opposing defenses from collapsing the space. He doesn't have to go strictly to shooting 3's and attempting layups.
    Don't let the 4 Letter influence you. Mid-Range is still a critical component to every good scorer's arsenal. His defense needs work but let's be real. The entire team suffered when Murray, White, and Walker went down early. To rely on Mills, Belinelli, and Forbes is to die a slow death and yet the Spurs under Pop competed. Since those other guys are fully healthy, the load gets re-balanced and now the team defense improves. It helps to add an All-NBA Defensive Team Member and another who got lots of votes for the same team.

DeRozan ain't the issue really. Calling him DeFrozen is really weak as well. Karl Malone, John Stockton, and Charles Barkley are all legendary, they just couldn't get past Jordan. For DeRozan in the East, it was the same thing with LeBron. Now that LBJ is out West, even he no longer has an easy path to a Conference Final. DeRozan is right where he wants to be. Contract be damned. You all keep saying he can bail for elsewhere but the reality is, in today's NBA, who's paying big dollars elsewhere?
    Good job on being objective.

He's got flaws and he's not a great fit with the rest of the players here, but he is undeserving of all the hate he gets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we need to get a starting small forward in the trade for DDR. I am not ok with Carrol as a starter even if we have Steven Adams in that trade. Small forward is still our weakest position imo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So much hate for DeRozan in one place he's better than yall make him out to be. This was his first year in The System. Chill and let's see if Pop can teach him some .

/ortradehimforAaronGordon
    He’s a very good player. He just doesn’t fit in the current Spurs system unless he develops a consistent three point shot. His team defense can improve possibly, but his one on one defense is what it is. So if you can a player who is good and is a better fit for the current Spurs system then why not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it really wouldn't. Oubre and Morris were afterthoughts and got $15 Million. Jamaal Murray got $34 Million. $25 Million is just the price of doing business for good players coming off rookie deals.
    Jamal Murray is an all-star type player, it doesn't matter if he officially hasn't been selected to one, tbh.

Morris got 15 millions on a one year deal after the Knicks had struck out on every relevant free agent.

Oubre is a similar thing, just a two year contract (I don't know if there's a team or player option in the second one) for a team that had salary cap to spare.

Unless Murray becomes a top 2/3 option for the Spurs he's not getting anything close to 100 millions for 4 years. Get real son.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Id keep derozan. None of the players mentioned in any trade scenario raises the spurs ceiling. Keep him and dont sign him when his contract is up.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade mills, luka, someone else and 2 picks for beal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look at Derozan's help. He had far less. Not to mention White was injured had to play his way back in and go back to the bench because of the injury. Danny Green was also there instead of Belinelli (pretty big difference there). And the biggest one is Manu. Give me Manu over the Mill, Belli, Bertans, White, and Forbes Derozan got. TP and Manu leading a Spurs system in the locker room and on the bench is still very valuable.

Anyway. You're right its up in the air a bit on trading Derozan but give him some 3 and D players around him and he will take your team to the playoffs and win a round or two ala Toronto. Give him a new Van Fleet, improved Siakim and Gasol he couldve definitely done damage on the Raptors team. Structure wise it is an odd fit for Derozan on the Spurs but Derozan has a lot of great tools a team can work with.
    In comparisson to whom?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with the emergence of white, expected improvements for lonnie/dejounte, we dont need a ball dominant wing like derozan eating 25+ mil while not providing defense or spacing. its not that demar doesnt have talent... its that he isnt really helping us, imo

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow! Is the trade done? Who'd we get???

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Morris. Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jamal Murray is an all-star type player, it doesn't matter if he officially hasn't been selected to one, tbh.

Morris got 15 millions on a one year deal after the Knicks had struck out on every relevant free agent.

Oubre is a similar thing, just a two year contract (I don't know if there's a team or player option in the second one) for a team that had salary cap to spare.

Unless Murray becomes a top 2/3 option for the Spurs he's not getting anything close to 100 millions for 4 years. Get real son.
    Jamal Murray sucks. Worst contract in the NBA, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with the emergence of white, expected improvements for lonnie/dejounte, we dont need a ball dominant wing like derozan eating 25+ mil while not providing defense or spacing. its not that demar doesnt have talent... its that he isnt really helping us, imo
    He can still help. His playmaking is underrated, imo.

I probably would trade him for Aaron Gordon straight up though. Prototype combo forward body and still young enough that the Spurs development program could work its magic on him. I doubt Orlando would part ways with him though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can still help. His playmaking is underrated, imo.

I probably would trade him for Aaron Gordon straight up though. Prototype combo forward body and still young enough that the Spurs development program could work its magic on him. I doubt Orlando would part ways with him though.
    Orlando has Isaac, Bamba, Vucevic in the frontcourt. They just signed Aminu and drafted Chuma Okeke.

Any intelligent franchise would consider Aaron Gordon expendable but it's the Magic we're talking about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jamal Murray sucks. Worst contract in the NBA, imo.
    It doesn't matter if he's overrated or not. The reality is that he's a top 2 offensive option for a team that finished 2nd in the West last season. That's the type of player you need to be to command a 100 millions over 4 years type of contract. Our Murray isn't anything close to that yet, so predicting him to make that kind of money is just plain dumb.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It only makes sense to do a trade if it improves our defense and 3pt ability out of the forward spot. I doubt Pop would approve a pick heavy or young player deal in that I'm sure they are in a win now mode. I still say DDR is a bad fit on this team and it appears he's not going to be part of the teams plans in the future so it makes perfect sense to at least explore the trade market for him. Also, this situation qualifies as addition by subtraction and I think we have enough in Murray, White and Walker to address any offensive deficiency we may gain by losing DDR. There was a reason why he could never carry the Raptors over the hump and it's primarily because he came up small in the crucial moments in a game and I saw more of the same last year short of the Raptors game. In fact, last year it was frustrating when Pop put the ball in his hands late in the game instead of White who seems more composed in those moments. Nevertheless, he will be better this year but the fact that he didn't get extended speaks volumes to how the Spurs view him. So, a team like the Pistons makes a whole lot of sense given that his former coach is there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this thread. It's a microcosm of this place. The intelligent posters all realize it's a no brainer to trade him and that they'd be better off with pieces like Porter, Gordon, etc. because the pieces would fit better and it'd allow the young guards to grow. Meanwhile, the apologists/casuals think he's a legit star, shouldn't be traded for role players and that they'd be better off losing him for nothing in 1-2 years.

I got news for the latter: There's a miniscule chance of them doing better than Porter, Gordon, etc. with the '21 cap space, those types have resale value if need be and you can forget about them being a dumping ground for dead money and piling up picks because that's not how they operate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. He's a far better fit, and still a short term asset like DD, since he will likely opt out next summer. He's the forward bridge we need while KJ and Luka play a year in Austin.
    A Porter Jr. and a protected pick for DDR and Beli would be the ideal incarnation of a trade with Bulls.

They get a "Eastern Conference All- Star" and a good rotation player we get a solid starter in his mid twenties and a potentially very good pick.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see how you can trade anyone, including Marco, until preseason to see how everyone looks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t see how you can trade anyone, including Marco, until preseason to see how everyone looks.
    On the other hand, how would making a midseason trade and integrating new parts work without training camp?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since everyone has taken a liking to Gordon:

ORL: DeRozan & Belinelli
    MEM: Fournier, Spurs 2nd (2 if needed), & Orlando 2nd
    SAS: Gordon & Iguodala

Thread Information