Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, because he's the only person who's ever used and I'm known for trolling.
    That exact line is pretty much what he's been saying forever. But whatever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i totally agree that spurs are well coached and can develop players but by having a high picks and/or adding another young potential guy u increase your chances to have another HoF. Firstly, DeRozan should take a lesson from bellineli and learn how to shoot 3pt or from duncan a lesson called “how not to disappear in playoffs”
    That's all well and good. But the fastest way to get SA a high pick is for them to let DeRozan walk and miss the playoffs. I mean, if someone is offering a top-10 pick for DeRozan, it's a different matter. I was willing to deal him for that during the draft. They would have had time to recover then. Now they don't really have any flexibility. So the fastest way they're going to get that pick is by falling off. So them losing DeRozan and then going into the lottery wouldn't be a bad end at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Getting Porter moves the needle. Getting rid of Dumbmar also moves the needle. I don’t think I want our young guys learning from him. Along with BB moves he also teaches poor IQ and tantrums. He is very un-Spursy.
    Porter is moving the needle in the wrong direction. The dude plays ZERO defense. Idk where this idea that he plays defense comes from. He SHOULD be able to defend but puts in zero effort in that end and already got his big contract so his motivation to improve is gone as well. Also he can’t create his own shot at all. He doesn’t get to the line at all (less than twice per game as the number 2 option) and he can’t create for others. DeRozan played better defense (still ty but better), rebounded better and assisted 3 Xs better than Porter.

The only thing going for Porter was he finished the year strong. But the question then becomes was it a fluke or not? Keep in mind that DDR started off the first 15 games averaging 28 and 8 a game which is the same sample size Porter had in Chicago.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    DeRozan has a very good basketball IQ, at least on offense.
    very good?

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's all well and good. But the fastest way to get SA a high pick is for them to let DeRozan walk and miss the playoffs. I mean, if someone is offering a top-10 pick for DeRozan, it's a different matter. I was willing to deal him for that during the draft. They would have had time to recover then. Now they don't really have any flexibility. So the fastest way they're going to get that pick is by falling off. So them losing DeRozan and then going into the lottery wouldn't be a bad end at all.
    or.... maybe trade derozan for young piece, sacrifice this playoffs and get high pick in 2020? Isnt it better than having derozan one more year, make a playoffs than let him go, miss PO 2021 and get a high pick in 2021?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    or.... maybe trade derozan for young piece, sacrifice this playoffs and get high pick in 2020? Isnt it better than having derozan one more year, make a playoffs than let him go, miss PO 2021 and get a high pick in 2021?
    No. First, they might make the playoffs in 2021 as well if the guys develop or if the Spurs replace DeMar in free agency. Second, it makes more sense to try to win this year when you know you have two All-Stars than put in hopes that the mid-round pick you get back is an All-Star. In either event, the franchise player will come from getting lucky in the draft, but one involves the team potentially remaining a playoff team for a while yet, and the other involves hoping to miss the playoffs ASAP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan has a very good basketball IQ, at least on offense. There's no way he could be as good of a scorer as he is without it. His tantrums are the principle reason why I think PATFO might want to move him. I think they were prepared for his lack of shooting, inadequate defense and poor playoff track record. But the meltdowns might have caught them off guard. In any event, yeah, I want the young guards to learn from DeRozan, Gay and Beli. All three are among the best in the league at certain techniques. The young guys should be able to take a lot of those to supplement the things they already do well.
    Scoring is mostly a function of skill not BB IQ. He is pretty selfish/foolish in crunch time. To me the negative outweighs the positive -
    especially when you factor in his on/off. I hope we move him soon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The attraction to Porter is that both he and DD will likely opt out next summer, but Porter does the things we need: playing D and shooting the 3 ball. If you’re looking for a one year player to roll off next summer, he’s a much better fit than DD. You just need a stopgap for a year while KJ and Luka play in Austin.
    Murray and White probably won't ever be a better scorer than DD. And if they do, it won't happen this early in their career. You trade DD for Porter for example, we strengthen one area and weaken another. We would be asking the Buford to find a trade for a scoring guard. We will hear non stop Forbes and Mills for Lou Williams espn trade machine links.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scoring is mostly a function of skill not BB IQ. He is pretty selfish/foolish in crunch time. To me the negative outweighs the positive -
    His playmaking ability demonstrates to me he has good BB IQ. Not the best. But well above average. It seems here we like to remember DD's mistakes, but forget his successes.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only way Spurs trade a star for picks will be when Pop retires.
    I don't like DD and I was hope Spurs traded KL to Clippers and put two LA teams in compe ion but they prefer a Star than young players because Pop and LaMarcus.

Right now only Chicago with Otto or the Magic have assets to the trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His playmaking ability demonstrates to me he has good BB IQ. Not the best. But well above average. It seems here we like to remember DD's mistakes, but forget his successes.
    No, I remember all those game-winners he hit for us.

Dumbmar makes very poor decisions and plays in crunch time. The Spurs are better with him off the court than with him on it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Porter is moving the needle in the wrong direction. The dude plays ZERO defense. Idk where this idea that he plays defense comes from. He SHOULD be able to defend but puts in zero effort in that end and already got his big contract so his motivation to improve is gone as well. Also he can’t create his own shot at all. He doesn’t get to the line at all (less than twice per game as the number 2 option) and he can’t create for others. DeRozan played better defense (still ty but better), rebounded better and assisted 3 Xs better than Porter.

The only thing going for Porter was he finished the year strong. But the question then becomes was it a fluke or not? Keep in mind that DDR started off the first 15 games averaging 28 and 8 a game which is the same sample size Porter had in Chicago.
    He was injured and traded to a new (loser) team last season. His career on/off numbers are stellar. We don’t want him to create his own shot; we have plenty of guys to do that - too many, in fact; hence the need to move Dumbmar. We need a legit 3-point threat, which is what Porter is. With the Spurs, he would flourish.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was injured and traded to a new (loser) team last season. His career on/off numbers are stellar. We don’t want him to create his own shot; we have plenty of guys to do that - too many, in fact; hence the need to move Dumbmar. We need a legit 3-point threat, which is what Porter is. With the Spurs, he would flourish.
    I would love to hear all these amazing people we have at creating our own shot. Also name all the great facilitators on our team as well since DeRozan is our top assist guy as well. You also didn’t explain Porters lack of defense. The dude doesn’t defend.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Also name all the great facilitators on our team as well since DeRozan is our top assist guy as well.
    demar really isn't great facilitator... decent but just because you lead the spurs in assists doesn't make you a great facilitator, it just makes you a cog in the system.

the reason tony isn't in consideration for best pg of his generation despite his rings is because he didn't make his teammates better. same with demar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White and Forbes can get their own. Murray is certainly no spot-up shooter. Gay is excellent at getting his own. I admit Dumbmar is currently the best facilitator, but I expect White with his superior IQ and floor vision to surpass Dumbmar. Porter is a career positive defender, and playing with Pop and the Spurs, I expect him to excel.

The bottom line for me is that throughout his career his teams are far better when he is on the floor, while Dumbmar’s are worse. Porter plays a position of need and provides a desperately needed skill. By opening up the floor he would make everybody more effective.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don't have anyone other than Gay that can go out and get his own shop. Hopefully White can do that this up coming season and Walker soon after. And I think DD makes the Allstar team this season over LMA.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    demar is nowhere near worth his contract. he got it due to the hype that came with his athletic ability.

he will never be option #1 or #2. he's very 6th man. i wouldn't even want him in the starting lineup even the spurs had two other stars.

he isn't as great as he thinks he is and needs to know his limits. he will never be good defensively. at least work on your 3 dude...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    demar is nowhere near worth his contract. he got it due to the hype that came with his athletic ability.

he will never be option #1 or #2. he's very 6th man. i wouldn't even want him in the starting lineup even the spurs had two other stars.

he isn't as great as he thinks he is and needs to know his limits. he will never be good defensively. at least work on your 3 dude...
    He has been a number 1 and 2 option throughout most of his career. And for anyone who knocks his contract then wants Porter, is really hypocritical.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    He has been a number 1 and 2 option throughout most of his career.
    and has nothing to show for it. my point was he won't be successful at it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can't believe we are arguing about trading DDR with the 'intent' of missing the playoffs. First of all, we won't be poor enough by doing that to get a top 5 pick. The current team without him might even make the playoffs and if they do miss it wouldn't be by much. The difference between a late lottery pick and a pick in the late teens isn't worth moving him for. I get the idea of moving him for something that fits better. That concept makes sense (even if some if the player suggestions here are underwhelming to me at least it's in the spirit of trying to win).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White and Forbes can get their own. Murray is certainly no spot-up shooter. Gay is excellent at getting his own. I admit Dumbmar is currently the best facilitator, but I expect White with his superior IQ and floor vision to surpass Dumbmar. Porter is a career positive defender, and playing with Pop and the Spurs, I expect him to excel.

The bottom line for me is that throughout his career his teams are far better when he is on the floor, while Dumbmar’s are worse. Porter plays a position of need and provides a desperately needed skill. By opening up the floor he would make everybody more effective.
    im just not on the Otto Porter train. The dude plays stupid non winning basketball. He couldn’t even get his team to the playoffs in the EAST where literally 38 wins gets you the 8th seed. So Porters ty ass 10th seed team being better when he’s on the court means nothing to me. His team sucked and he didn’t help it win. And he was being paid as if he SHOULD be able to lead a team.

White can get his own shot but can he do it consistently night in and night out? Forbes is laughable that you even brought him up. I guess you can bring up Patty too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im just not on the Otto Porter train. The dude plays stupid non winning basketball. He couldn’t even get his team to the playoffs in the EAST where literally 38 wins gets you the 8th seed. So Porters ty ass 10th seed team being better when he’s on the court means nothing to me. His team sucked and he didn’t help it win. And he was being paid as if he SHOULD be able to lead a team.

White can get his own shot but can he do it consistently night in and night out? Forbes is laughable that you even brought him up. I guess you can bring up Patty too
    Porter’s teams have been consistently much better when he is on the floor his entire career. You seem to have watched much more of him than I. I don’t see him play nearly as dumb as Dumbmar. However, by the very nature of their different games, the impact of Dumbmar’s dumb plays is far more impactful.

Forbes is a good player who was probably our 4th best player in the playoffs. He can get his own, and he will get better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes was a surprised, but a good defender would take him out of the game. DD gets marked by the best perimeter defender on the opposing team. Not Forbes. Forbes can beat players because they ran out to challenge his shot. He cannot dribble in a crowd, cannot draw contact, cannot pass in a crowd. Cannot and will not get shots over bigger defenders. He is a ace three point threat that can put the ball on the ground and pull up. Thats it. It's hard to take anyone seriously when you refer to a DD as Dumbmar. DD is a solid player and borderline allstar in the west. And I think DD goes back in the Allstar game this coming season. He turned Toronto around into a winning team again since Bosh left.. Porter will need to put some work in to be considered an allstar this coming season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Porter’s teams have been consistently much better when he is on the floor his entire career. You seem to have watched much more of him than I. I don’t see him play nearly as dumb as Dumbmar. However, by the very nature of their different games, the impact of Dumbmar’s dumb plays is far more impactful.

Forbes is a good player who was probably our 4th best player in the playoffs. He can get his own, and he will get better.
    I really liked Oubre tbh. It’s who I was hoping the Spurs would trade for. Washington is beyond stupid to have given him up for Ariza what a run organization. 43 million for John Wall.

the thing about Porter is that he is good but only against ty compe ion. And since the league is mostly made up of ty teams, his stats look good. But he doesn’t step up when the lights are bright and he won’t up his play for the big games/moments/ opponents. He is like a tier version of playoff Demar except nobody notices bc they have Wall and Beal. Against the good teams and elite players the man shrivels up. In theory he sounds great against Kawhi and Lebron and George and even Harden. In reality he has no dog and will disappear.

And Forbes kinda sucks at getting his own shot. He’s a much better catch and shoot player. Also I’m pretty sure this is as good as he gets. Not much more we can realistically expect him to improve on. He can’t get taller, faster, or more athletic. He has peaked.

Thread Information