Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We cant afford to a one year player. DD must be traded for someone younger who would help us to build a future. Next year FAs sucks and i dont think whoever want to come to SA so cap space would be useless. Our young guys are pretty good but not good enough to be a contender in future.
    DD isn’t going to bring a difference making young player in trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mmmmn depends on how much better young player(s) get after joining Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes, to some extent it is bc hes the best asset we have and probably the best we will have until our young guys improve.decent young player is better than nothing and its always a small step forward
    Right on.
    Look how good bad haircut dude might turn out to be.
    Along with White, DJ.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    u never know, i think the nets would be strongly considering to give levert to make a big3. Or even magic giving gordon. imo these two in spurs would become an allstar in 2-3yrs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Win Now team that comes in need of a scoring guard (DD) could be the answer.
    Injury to existing Win Now teams guard?
    Like could a trade deadline scenario yield juicy results?

The Rockets already blew out all their trade picks to unload CP0. Something like that tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    u never know, i think the nets would be strongly considering to give levert to make a big3. Or even magic giving gordon. imo these two in spurs would become an allstar in 2-3yrs
    "You never know" is not a good enough reason for me to worry about. There's zero reason to hurry into a DeRozan trade if the only thing you can get is a guy who isn't a better prospect than Walker or Samanic. Levert is a guy I like, but I wouldn't give up anything of value to get him on the Spurs given Murray, White and Walker are already on the team. The narrow chance that the Spurs can find a way to win a le is worth more to me than Levert's entire career (and that's pretending like him joining the guard rotation wouldn't make it nearly impossible to keep everyone together). The team already has an intriguing future. There's no reason to sacrifice whatever this year is to make it marginally better. If you think you can make this team better from a DeRozan trade (which is WAY harder than some posters here believe), then I can understand doing it. But letting him walk isn't going to hurt the team at all. At all, at all. He is not a franchise player, and he wouldn't bring one back in a trade either. 2020 free agency isn't great, but it's good enough to pick up a role-playing wing, and that's what the Spurs should be hoping to pick up in any DeRozan deal. And if DeMar opts in, then 2021 free agency speaks for itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "You never know" is not a good enough reason for me to worry about. There's zero reason to hurry into a DeRozan trade if the only thing you can get is a guy who isn't a better prospect than Walker or Samanic. Levert is a guy I like, but I wouldn't give up anything of value to get him on the Spurs given Murray, White and Walker are already on the team. The narrow chance that the Spurs can find a way to win a le is worth more to me than Levert's entire career (and that's pretending like him joining the guard rotation wouldn't make it nearly impossible to keep everyone together). The team already has an intriguing future. There's no reason to sacrifice whatever this year is to make it marginally better. If you think you can make this team better from a DeRozan trade (which is WAY harder than some posters here believe), then I can understand doing it. But letting him walk isn't going to hurt the team at all. At all, at all. He is not a franchise player, and he wouldn't bring one back in a trade either. 2020 free agency isn't great, but it's good enough to pick up a role-playing wing, and that's what the Spurs should be hoping to pick up in any DeRozan deal. And if DeMar opts in, then 2021 free agency speaks for itself.
    I get your reasoning, but I can see why some would say that your own assessment that letting him walk doesn't hurt the team at all, at all, at all kind of makes the argument that he should be traded, even if for a few unheralded net positive players.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    levert is much better than any of our young guys. but if im wrong and somehow murray white or walker become an allstar (which i doubt) there is nothing wrong to have another young guy in a roster(even if he is another guard). Sometimes i think that u overvalue them, remember that f.e murray will be coming back from acl so he will have limited minutes and he still cant shoot. white is good and be a solid pg but thats all. Loonie imo has potential and it depends how much work he put into himself.
    Letting dd go away for nothing is the worst scenario.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I also don't really see a DeRozan-to-BRK scenario that could work financially. The Nets would have to trade four guys to make up the salary. Sure, Harris, Dinwiddie and a guy like Prince would be a good package. But there isn't anyone they could add now that would fill that gap except another prospect, and I don't know that either team would want that. Swapping out Temple for Prince or Jordan for Dinwiddie would make the numbers work, but then it's hard to find a way to make the roster spaces worth.

Say the teams go " it" and just do Dinwidde, Harris, Prince and Claxton for DeRozan. This would be the Spurs' depth chart:

Murray, Dinwiddie, Mills
    White, Walker, Belinelli Forbes
    Harris, Prince, Johnson
    Gay, Carroll, Samanic, Lyles, Metu
    Aldridge, Poeltl, Claxton

That's three additional players than the limit. Maybe Forbes and Metu to a third team for neutral value? Maybe Beli and seconds to a third team? The Lyles signing would really be coming back to bite the Spurs then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team's future doesn't depend on trading DeRozan. What kind of lunacy is that? At best, they'll get a pick in the 20s or a decent young player. They'll get nothing better than what they could sign or draft themselves.
    why not sign and draft decent young players while also acquiring a decent young player now for derozan?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    levert is much better than any of our young guys. but if im wrong and somehow murray white or walker become an allstar (which i doubt) there is nothing wrong to have another young guy in a roster(even if he is another guard). Sometimes i think that u overvalue them, remember that f.e murray will be coming back from acl so he will have limited minutes and he still cant shoot. white is good and be a solid pg but thats all. Loonie imo has potential and it depends how much work he put into himself.
    Letting dd go away for nothing is the worst scenario.
    If Murray, White or Walker aren't that good, then there is not future, and the team has no business not trying to win-now at all costs. If the team is truly going to rebuild, they'll get value from their natural picks or from doing deals with their cap space. They aren't going to turn things around with a bunch of non-All Stars and Levert.

I don't disagree that Caris has shown more than any of the Spurs' young guys. But the future isn't about the present. If those guys don't have that kind of ceilings, then you trade them now to give yourself the best chance at winning with the two guys on the team that you KNOW can already play at an All-Star or All-NBA level. You can't waffle. Either those guys are more worth building around than DMDR and LMA, or they aren't. Giving that people are saying that DeRozan wants an extension, the fear that he's trying to force his way out doesn't really apply anymore. Then can have that duo for two more years if they want to, so if their future isn't look so great, that should be the plan. They might have had a chance last year with the right trades, given how the playoffs ended up playing out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why not sign and draft decent young players while also acquiring a decent young player now for derozan?
    Because they can just keep DeRozan, who's already an All-Star caliber player while not having any worse future than they'd have if they traded him. If you're going to be in same in five years whether you trade DeRozan (and/or Aldridge) or not, then why trade him/them?

And remember, you're suggesting DeRozan is going to be sought after here, so it doesn't make sense to go into the whole spiel on DeRozan being a net-negative. Brooklyn or any other team wouldn't trade better players for him if they thought that. A team like the Magic shouldn't value DeRozan any more than the Spurs do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get your reasoning, but I can see why some would say that your own assessment that letting him walk doesn't hurt the team at all, at all, at all kind of makes the argument that he should be traded, even if for a few unheralded net positive players.
    Because the now matters. Folks are spamming ST acting like the world has ended simply because the Spurs are now a bottom-half-of-the-bracket playoff team rather than being at the top half. These folks aren't prepared to tank. DeRozan is not a franchise player, but he has more on-the-court value than he does on the trade market. Getting back a pick for him isn't going to make the team tangibly better than not getting back that pick. This is comparing a DeRozan trade for a guy like Porter versus a DeRozan trade for a younger but worse player. This isn't about whether to trade DeRozan at all.

If you think you can make the 2019 Spurs better with a DeRozan trade, you do it. If you think not doing it makes the 2023 Spurs worse, I don't think it's justified.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because they can just keep DeRozan, who's already an All-Star caliber player while not having any worse future than they'd have if they traded him. If you're going to be in same in five years whether you trade DeRozan (and/or Aldridge) or not, then why trade him/them?

And remember, you're suggesting DeRozan is going to be sought after here, so it doesn't make sense to go into the whole spiel on DeRozan being a net-negative. Brooklyn or any other team wouldn't trade better players for him if they thought that. A team like the Magic shouldn't value DeRozan any more than the Spurs do.
    because derozan's presence is stunting the development of our 3 guards, and that could have a significant impact in less than 5 years down the line

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.inquisitr.com/5541253/nb...t-round-picks/

Interesting article. Summary:

LA & DDR to Portland for Whiteside, Bazemore, Skal Labissiere, a 2020 first-round pick, a 2022 first-round pick, and a 2024 first-round pick.

Authors takeaway: Spurs get building blocks and draft assets while Portland gets some fringe all-star to help capitalize on lillards prime years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

LA & DDR to Portland for Whiteside, Bazemore, Skal Labissiere, a 2020 first-round pick, a 2022 first-round pick, and a 2024 first-round pick.

Authors takeaway: Spurs get building blocks and draft assets while Portland gets some fringe all-star to help capitalize on lillards prime years.
    NO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

no way

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

meh. Believe it when we see it. Otherwise, it looks like someone to get clicks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Total fantasy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im all for dealing DeRozan but that’s a trash deal

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am not sure what the love affair for Porter is. He is a serviceable but vastly overpaid SF. He has never been the best or second best player in the team. The Wizard looked awful even when he had a bigger role last year. The Bulls did not improve. DD lead the Raptors to 60 wins.
    The pieces would fit so much better. In addition to getting a much needed injection of size, 3-point shooting and defense on the wing, instead of the current likely scenario, which is Murray/White mostly splitting PG duties and playing more so off ball, they could start together and play more on ball.

At the notion of DeRozan leading the Raptors to 60 (it was 59) wins. It was Lowry + the league best 2nd unit that was primarily responsible. As ever, they were better with him off than on.

There is no narrow chance to win a le and the ceiling in '21 free agency is likely a player the caliber of Porter Jr. or Gordon (and by the off chance they can do better and need to clear cap space, they'd be easy to move). Might as well expedite the process, while giving Murray, White, Walker room to flourish. In the interim, the team would likely be as good or better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Why would the Spur do that deal? They are probably as good or better than Portland with DDR and LMA and with a jump from Murray and White could compete in the West, so they ship them out and rebuild? for 3 firsts, 2 of which would likely be very late ones.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    beal isnt bad idea but has some cons. For example 1) to make this happen we have to probably include lots of our picks and some young guys (bc wiz needs to rebuild), 2) we wouldnt get any valuable players , only beal and 3) his at ude...
    I think a pick and Forbes will do it, with Derozan of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    because derozan's presence is stunting the development of our 3 guards, and that could have a significant impact in less than 5 years down the line
    I wouldn't say that DDR is stunting their development as of yet, but if he were on this team past next season then he would definitely be stunting their progress then, especially Walker. Then again, if Walker is his backup this year, giving Walker a chance to play a NBA role and continue to develop before potentially becoming the starter would be a benefit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think a pick and Forbes will do it, with Derozan of course.
    Beal is 4 years younger than DDR, and significantly better than he is and all the Spurs would need to give up is Forbes and a 1st? Spurs would probably have to offer up White and multiple firsts instead just for a conversation to occur.

Thread Information