Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, I'd do $5 million a year. $6 million if I'm feeling charitable. Give Poeltl more than that now and you'd have to be pricing in him making a monumental leap this upcoming season, IMO.
    As I just mentioned, his QO is quite large. Even if he fails to reach the starter criteria, the QO would still be almost $10 Million. He'd be crazy not to sign it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think WCS is also another comparison?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I just mentioned, his QO is quite large. Even if he fails to reach the starter criteria, the QO would still be almost $10 Million. He'd be crazy not to sign it.
    IIRC, his QO is ~$5 million. You might be thinking of his cap hold, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2Yr/$10M is all I'd offer him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still think Zubac set the market, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They did change that, didn't they? Well considering that, I'd still consider $5 Million to be a reasonable floor for him rather than his honest market value. Maybe it's his worth, but in terms of hype and interest, a former strong Spurs role-player probably has more value than a guy like Looney who was often an afterthought on the Warriors. If he had been their starting center for their le years, that would be one thing. But they had Bogut and McGee to overshadow him.

GO SPURS GO
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question you have to ask is if hes in the 7-10 a year for 3-4 years on a ex. 21 to 40 mil. Range. What else is out there at that price?
    Quick search is zeller olynyk not a deep class at least URFA Ayton B amba and Hayes will be picked up on club options. JP shows promise and should be a show or go year for him anyways. 3-4 23-30 ish I vote yes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would sign him for 5 years, $150 mil tbh.
    538 Carmelo values him at 5 years/$105.7 million tbh so I’m not far off fwiw...

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com.../jakob-poeltl/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, I'd do $5 million a year. $6 million if I'm feeling charitable. Give Poeltl more than that now and you'd have to be pricing in him making a monumental leap this upcoming season, IMO.
    You don't think Poeltl can be the center of the future? I think he's good enough to be that. Locking your future starting center for 7/8 millions per year isn't all that bad, imho.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Offer him $1 million for every time he lays out Kenwi Leanord this upcoming season.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you can extend him now at a reasonable rate you do it...he already sets great screens, dives well, and is going to be a MUCH better fit with Luka than he is with LMA...for the type of team the spurs are building his screening will be invaluable...as will his ability to impact the game without scoring...

I'd be fine with something that is 4 years and up to 11 a year... 8 or 9 would be perfect though...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5 years 30 million player option after year 3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be fine with something that is 4 years and up to 11 a year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I cant believe Nick Nurse has a ing le tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't think Poeltl can be the center of the future?
    Maybe. I'm a little gun-shy after living through the Radoslav Nesterovic Era when Spurs fans justified overpaying him because he "set great screens," "was a good teammates," and "protected the paint." In reality, Nesterovic was limited and his true role was as a quality backup center -- not a shoehorned starting center.

Poeltl is a similar type prospect, if you do some talent inflation adjustment. Good, solid player. Strong backup. A starter? It's not something to be excited about, tbh. Maybe if he's your fifth best starter and not playing more than half the game, otherwise the team's ceiling is pretty low, IMO.

That's why I think the Spurs need to be vigilant regarding Poeltl's salary. Considering his relatively limited upside, it'd be unwise to jump the gun and extend him for an amount that could turn him into an albatross down the line.

I'd do a deal at $5 million. Even $6 million, just to cover yourself in case he can suddenly shoot threes or something. More than that? I'd probably force him to go get an offersheet as a restricted free agent. Teams just aren't spending on his skill-set anymore.

Worst case if Poeltl erupts next season and he leaves because he's overpaid like Slomo, CoJo, Boban, etc. ... you sign Milutinov, elevate Eubanks if he pans out or go out there and sign one of those $5 million bigs who are now readily available every summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good stuff as always OP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe. I'm a little gun-shy after living through the Radoslav Nesterovic Era when Spurs fans justified overpaying him because he "set great screens," "was a good teammates," and "protected the paint." In reality, Nesterovic was limited and his true role was as a quality backup center -- not a shoehorned starting center.

Poeltl is a similar type prospect, if you do some talent inflation adjustment. Good, solid player. Strong backup. A starter? It's not something to be excited about, tbh. Maybe if he's your fifth best starter and not playing more than half the game, otherwise the team's ceiling is pretty low, IMO.

That's why I think the Spurs need to be vigilant regarding Poeltl's salary. Considering his relatively limited upside, it'd be unwise to jump the gun and extend him for an amount that could turn him into an albatross down the line.

I'd do a deal at $5 million. Even $6 million, just to cover yourself in case he can suddenly shoot threes or something. More than that? I'd probably force him to go get an offersheet as a restricted free agent. Teams just aren't spending on his skill-set anymore.

Worst case if Poeltl erupts next season and he leaves because he's overpaid like Slomo, CoJo, Boban, etc. ... you sign Milutinov, elevate Eubanks if he pans out or go out there and sign one of those $5 million bigs who are now readily available every summer.
    Looney, Tristan Thompson, Capella, MgGee, Adams, Bogut.

If you look around, most of the centers in recent championship/contending teams really haven't been anything special, tbh. They all just set screens, finish pick and rolls and aren't defensive liabilites. That's it.

Poeltl checks all those boxes. Sure, it would be better if he could hit the open Jumper but it's not a do or die requisite for centers, imho.

P/S: On a related note, that's why I was such a hardcore Dedmon fan and was very vocal about keeping him when he had him. It was clear he was developing into a perfect modern day center.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    21/3

Fair deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you look around, most of the centers in recent championship/contending teams really haven't been anything special, tbh. They all just set screens, finish pick and rolls and aren't defensive liabilites. That's it.

Poeltl checks all those boxes. Sure, it would be better if he could hit the open Jumper but it's not a do or die requisite for centers, imho.

P/S: On a related note, that's why I was such a hardcore Dedmon fan and was very vocal about keeping him when he had him. It was clear he was developing into a perfect modern day center.
    Yeah, Poeltl's type is a dime a dozen. Unless he's guarding multiple positions, and shooting jumpers or develops other skills, he can be easily replaced. He's fine as a backup center but you can find that value on the market pretty consistently. You don't extend that guy to a big contract.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep.

That's exactly the number Boban got from Detroit when he left. I think the case TIMVP was making is that the value of C's that can't space on offense has gone down in recent years - and from those examples, it looks to be true. But 3/$21M is probably enough to keep him, and I'd hate to lose him for that.

Even though "old school" C's aren't in big demand right now, the PnR has been pretty devastating for the teams that have the players to run it well. I like Poeltl for that. And a second year of familiarity is going to help a lot, IMO. Yeah, 3/21 or even 4/24 and get him locked down would be just fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he stays at his current role and mpg we wont have to worry about spurs overpaying tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Poeltl's type is a dime a dozen. Unless he's guarding multiple positions, and shooting jumpers or develops other skills, he can be easily replaced. He's fine as a backup center but you can find that value on the market pretty consistently. You don't extend that guy to a big contract.
    Poeltl's skillset might be a dime a dozen, but the level at which he performs those skills aren't. He's not your regular Zaza Pachulia type, tbh. Jakob has some legit skill in him.

Sure, don't overpay him. He won't ever be more than a 5th or 6th best player on a contending team. The thing is, I don't think 6/7 millions per year for him is overpaying him, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4/24 or 5/30 would be ok...he seems the kind of guy willing to learn and improve...and that needs commitment from the team and stability. Once he's set he could just focus on playing and become a rotation piece for years to come and possibly the starting center if he develops some outside shooting (that could be possible with our coaching staff already focused on that with bigs like Eubanks and a young big like Samanic that already has that weapon but needs to develop consistency).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what this team really needs is a lot of long term good value deals so yeah lock him up for under 10 million per year. 5-7 would be great value

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Your list makes good arguments why it's a bad idea to overpay that skill-set:

1. If recent great teams have had interchangeable centers with similar skills, is there really a need to lock up a specific one? Doesn't it make more sense to save resources for elsewhere?

2. Of the players you mentioned, Thompson, Capela and Adams are now on the trade market after signing long-term deals. Their teams would gladly salary dump their contracts if they could. Overpaying those players worked out poorly in each case. Looney and McGee fit the $5 million range I'm advocating for Poeltl. Bogut is a mix -- was overpaid so the Warriors dumped him and now he's entered the dime a dozen category.

If one were to learn a lesson for these teams, it's avoid overpaying your center because the going rate for centers continues to drop. What sounded like a reasonable deal one year can turn into an albatross the next.

TL;DR: I think the Spurs need to proceed with caution regarding Poeltl and operate with the knowledge that if he were a free agent this summer, he would have commanded less than $5 million per season. Base any offers off of that, IMO.

Thread Information