Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It just sucks we missed out on Bitadze by one spot, wouldn't have to deal with this now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's zero reason to lock up money long term with Poetl when he can easily be replaced and isn't integral to the team. I like him, but even at 5 million per I'm not sure why you'd do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    28/4 imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this would be good. We do need a 7ft center everyone thinks its just a 3 point game now. All the contenders have a solid center that we need a tool in the box for. If we can keep him for cheap great but if we can upgrade him for a more defensive longer center even better so Denver can’t have thier way with us in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With 5M per yr. that would be about 5% of the cap.

How can you say no to that.

Continuity shouldn't be underestimated, especially in the Spurs system and him being a role player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5 mill a year or no

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    538 Carmelo values him at 5 years/$105.7 million tbh so I’m not far off fwiw...

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com.../jakob-poeltl/
    That's alot....but I notice all the people who like to look to 538 for bolstering their argument don't want to touch this one lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your list makes good arguments why it's a bad idea to overpay that skill-set:

1. If recent great teams have had interchangeable centers with similar skills, is there really a need to lock up a specific one? Doesn't it make more sense to save resources for elsewhere?

2. Of the players you mentioned, Thompson, Capela and Adams are now on the trade market after signing long-term deals. Their teams would gladly salary dump their contracts if they could. Overpaying those players worked out poorly in each case. Looney and McGee fit the $5 million range I'm advocating for Poeltl. Bogut is a mix -- was overpaid so the Warriors dumped him and now he's entered the dime a dozen category.

If one were to learn a lesson for these teams, it's avoid overpaying your center because the going rate for centers continues to drop. What sounded like a reasonable deal one year can turn into an albatross the next.

TL;DR: I think the Spurs need to proceed with caution regarding Poeltl and operate with the knowledge that if he were a free agent this summer, he would have commanded less than $5 million per season. Base any offers off of that, IMO.
    As well as I like Poeltl's personality I completely agree with this.
    I would only go for a very cheap long-term deal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mozgov was a 3rd best player in Lebron-Blatt finals run (after Love and Kyrie went down).
    And literally the next season he became garbage.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Conclusion: Pay the non-shooting PG 20-25 mil. per year and give the non-shooting C 5 mil. Sounds reasonable!?

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. If recent great teams have had interchangeable centers with similar skills, is there really a need to lock up a specific one? Doesn't it make more sense to save resources for elsewhere?

Locking up a specific center makes a lot of sense. One that knows the system, is familiar with teammates, and most importantly wants to be here. There's value in that, even if everything else is held equal. Not an extra $5M a year worth, but definitely value.

Rasho was a eunuch. He was passive almost to the point of being timid, and as a result he didn't finish well around the rim at all. Poeltl's FG% is already 100 points higher than Rasho's best season. (.650 for Poeltl vs .550 for Rasho) His rebounding rate is also better than Rasho's. And Rasho was playing in an era when big, bruising C's were more of a necessity for more minutes of every game. I understand the comparison, but this ain't that.

The PnR is all about timing, and familiarity is always a part of that. Poeltl stands to be an increasing asset in that department. Locking him up at a reasonable price would be a definite plus for future success. I don't think $7M per is a bad price for that, but $6M would be better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Conclusion: Pay the non-shooting PG 20-25 mil. per year and give the non-shooting C 5 mil. Sounds reasonable!?
    Why do you care? You're just a Poeltl fan ,not a Spurs fan.

If Poeltl can get 10+ Mil$ per from another team he can just go to that team.The Spurs salary cap is not of your concern.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl’s skill set right now doesn’t command a 10mil/year. I wouldn’t really say the traditional Big Man is a dying breed especially since the Splash duo is down. And even when Thompson gets back, teams have already learned to closeout, defend them on PNR by putting a long defensive big. With the rise of an athletic big with handles, Greek Freak, Davis, teams need a defensive big to defend and slow down. That’s where Poeltl would earn his money, if he could learn to hold his ground.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No reason to break the bank for him, but he fits in extremely well, so unless another team overpays him, seems dumb to let him walk and expect another player with similar skills, on paper, to fit in as well.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he fits really well next to Luka, tbh. Could be an interesting pnr tandem down the road.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those stats are way out of context. How does he compare to Steven Adams offensively, paid $25mil/yr currently - pretty well according to the metrics in the article. What is his offensive ceiling? Gobert? Drummond? Prime Bogut? I think he's going to get paid pretty well IMO. He's a starting calibre Centre, an elite defender, decent finisher & improving passer. LMA is only guaranteed 7 mil after next season, so there's a fair chance Poeltl is our starting Centre.
    Last edited by Down Under; 07-18-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl is Spurs starter C or main backup C. Lyles role on the Spurs is unknown. Could even be the 3rd big man. So Poeltl should be paid less than Lyles?

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those stats are way out of context. How does he compare to Steven Adams offensively, paid $25mil/yr currently - pretty well according to the metrics in the article. What is his offensive ceiling? Gobert? Drummond? Prime Bogut? I think he's going to get paid pretty well IMO. He's a starting calibre Centre, an elite defender, decent finisher & improving passer. LMA is only guaranteed 7 mil after next season, so there's a fair chance Poeltl is our starting Centre.

LOL. This word "ceiling"? I do not think it means what you think it means.

This is Poeltl's 4th season. Allowing for the fact that big men usually need a few years to adjust, this season should still tell whether Poeltl is going to step up to being more than he has been. And for the record, Adams is a big bruising sonofa who played 30 minutes a game in his fourth year, and close to 35 the two years after that. If Poeltl matches all of that then maybe he's worth more than $6-7M. But he'd have to start by putting on 30 lbs. of muscle in the offseason. You can put that on his list of "unlikely" performance goals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excellent read as usual. Thanks timvp!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he stays at his current role and mpg we wont have to worry about spurs overpaying tbh
    As long as Pop is in charge we'll damn sure have to worry about that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl should be given a one year extension, for 5 million, so that his contract will expire at the same time as LMA and DDR, and the entire situation can be reviewed. Giving him a longer extension would be unwise because there are too many unknowns about the summer of '21 and years following.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It just sucks we missed out on Bitadze by one spot, wouldn't have to deal with this now
    gross

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Locking up a specific center makes a lot of sense. One that knows the system, is familiar with teammates, and most importantly wants to be here. There's value in that, even if everything else is held equal. Not an extra $5M a year worth, but definitely value.

The PnR is all about timing, and familiarity is always a part of that. Poeltl stands to be an increasing asset in that department. Locking him up at a reasonable price would be a definite plus for future success. I don't think $7M per is a bad price for that, but $6M would be better.
    If the Spurs think he has room to improve, $7 million is okay, while $6 million is close enough to his actual value that I couldn't be too upset.

Rasho was a eunuch. He was passive almost to the point of being timid, and as a result he didn't finish well around the rim at all. Poeltl's FG% is already 100 points higher than Rasho's best season. (.650 for Poeltl vs .550 for Rasho) His rebounding rate is also better than Rasho's. And Rasho was playing in an era when big, bruising C's were more of a necessity for more minutes of every game. I understand the comparison, but this ain't that.
    Eh, to be fair to my guy Rasho, he was pretty darn comparable to Poeltl. My only issue with him was his contract, tbh. I looked at the stats yesterday but IIRC, Rasho's rebounding stats per possession while on the Spurs were only slightly worse than Poeltl. And FG% was a wash if you factor in that Rasho took jumpers. On shots close to the rim, they both hover around 70%, IIRC.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do you care? You're just a Poeltl fan ,not a Spurs fan.

If Poeltl can get 10+ Mil$ per from another team he can just go to that team.The Spurs salary cap is not of your concern.
    No, it‘s not of my concern. But I don‘t get why Spurs fans think that Dejounte Murray has proven to be worth so much more than Poeltl. He‘s a PG that didn‘t shoot or pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What has Jakob done or shown to be labeled "center of the future"? Bigs like him are a dime a dozen tbh.

Thread Information