Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/jakob-poel...-market-value/

Unfortunately for Poeltl, bigs with his skill-set aren't as rich as they used to be...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3 years 24 million take it or leave it. If they counter for a bigger offer, take him 8 feet away from the basket on the baseline and say if you make this 5 times in a row then we can start negotiating.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has set more quality picks, given more effort in mixing it up on the boards, and defended with more heart for this team than Pau ever has and he's currently the only player that even attempts the previously mentioned tasks.

Yes, he deserves an extension.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/jakob-poel...-market-value/

Unfortunately for Poeltl, bigs with his skill-set aren't as rich as they used to be...
    He was a Top #10 draft pick a few years ago. Only 23 years old, and this is only his first real offseason with the Spurs development team. Moves very well, plays good defense, finishes well around the rim. Just needs to add some bulk and develop a routine face up jumper around the free throw line.

A few years with Spurs development and you’ve got something really good here. Yeah you extend him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. And I think the Spurs do. They've always valued good post players highly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, he doesn't seem to be a player with problem with playing in San Antonio. That's increasingly a problem in this NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be more than happy to secure him for 25 millions over 5 years, tbh. He's the center of our future, imho.

I mean, we gotta get something long term from that Kawhi trade, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Crucial season for him. I would say no, for all his effort he shoots 3 times per game and averaged 5 rebounds so we’ll see.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He sets the best screens since mid age Tim Duncan. That’s not a stat sheet item but immensely valuable

He needs to work on his shooting stroke. Chip & the development team will get him going. He’s only 23

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be happy with anything from 5mil to 7mil per tbh. Even 8 mil. Poetl was great once they got rid of that gigantic Spanish sack of tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd even go as high as $10 mil tbh, especially since it seems like he's trying to add a 3 point shot to his game. He does that he's easily worth double on the open market.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you can get him for $8 on 3 or longer it's a real good deal for us.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl sets good screens, and shows promise of being a good roll man. He's only had one year with the team, and considering how many first year players we've seen get limited opportunity with the team, he didnt do badly with his learning year in SA.

That being said, restricted free agency is a pretty handy tool. The team always has the option of matching, and if another team values him that much more highly than the Spurs, they have the option of letting him go. So the only reason I can see for extending him is if he shows a willingness to sign for a reasonable amount, in exchange for a sure thing now. The risk of not extending him early is if he does have that breakout year, and some other team decides to grossly overpay him - like Detroit did with Boban in '16.

You made that $5M figure look reasonable. If he would agree to sign for that for 3 or 4 years, I think they should jump on it. He's not untradeable at that level. And he's good enough at C, especially considering that a traditional C doesn't seem likely to be as big a part of the picture for now. Maybe throw in a few unlikely performance bonuses (shooting and rebounding) to encourage him to put in the work on those areas.

I wouldn't scream at $7M per, if it was for no more than 3 years. Let the market decide after that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd be happy with anything from 5mil to 7mil per tbh. Even 8 mil. Poetl was great once they got rid of that gigantic Spanish sack of tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would sign him for 5 years, $150 mil tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    7-9 mil per would suffice

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also from his interviews he seems like a great culture fit and team guy. Seems very fond of the Spurs organization and its reputation for improving guys. Strikes me as a guy that’s more driven on improving his skills and wants to have a long term home with the Spurs, rather than a bounce for more money guy like J Simmons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Article:

If he doesn’t carve out a notable niche or regresses, he could be re-signed for even less.
    Even if Poeltl is lost in free agency, the going rate for playable big men is very reasonable. Bigs who were signed to deals that were worth $5 million per season or less.

In the worst case scenario that Poeltl plays so well that he prices his way out of San Antonio, the Spurs are unlikely to need to put aside much money in order to find a comparable replacement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ so why the need to extend him now?

I thought he was average vs Denver.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Article:

If he doesn’t carve out a notable niche or regresses, he could be re-signed for even less.
    Even if Poeltl is lost in free agency, the going rate for playable big men is very reasonable. Bigs who were signed to deals that were worth $5 million per season or less.

In the worst case scenario that Poeltl plays so well that he prices his way out of San Antonio, the Spurs are unlikely to need to put aside much money in order to find a comparable replacement.
    Yes, and if he prices himself out the Spurs will have to use the MLE to fill his spot. A developmental center in the draft doesn’t work. Or sign and trade him.

Two years left under team control.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, I'd do $5 million a year. $6 million if I'm feeling charitable. Give Poeltl more than that now and you'd have to be pricing in him making a monumental leap this upcoming season, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the spurs get him for 5 mil per its a fckn steal for ​poodle power

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs have to give him something like $24-28M/4 if they want to extend him. Otherwise, he should just play the field. You look at his "fair market value" at $5 Million APY. I see that as a reasonable floor. Like maybe he falls off, but he should get enough of a backup role, he's young and he has great advanced stats. Add in the Spurs' seal of approval, and he probably has a decent market. The plan should be to give him a bit more than his ceiling now and how he can develop into the future starting center. If they don't believe he's going to be good enough for that, then they should have traded him, because if I'm him, I'm diving on that QO as soon as it's extended if my market is really that bad.

And if he is good enough to be a good $5 Million APY player, the slight overpay won't hurt the club. Having solid dependable guys with years ahead of them is worth a $2-Million premium.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say 3/15-18 is fair.

Thread Information