Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You exist here at my pleasure. There's been no other use for you and you've fulfilled your role well. Keep it up.
    “You do not troll me, I troll you.”

Idiot.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You exist here at my pleasure. There's been no other use for you and you've fulfilled your role well. Keep it up.
    You reply to my posts at my pleasure. Keep it up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Greedy poor? no, Slightly above average income and want to "level the playing field"? Sure.

I'm not the one who thinks self preservation is a greedy concept, that'd be you, Karl. If you could just lower the bar on handouts though, things would be more "equitable".

I see you. You're not fooling me with your "it's about the community" shtick.
    you can’t see the community at all, Hans Hermann.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 12-06-2021 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Hans-Hermann Hoppe

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you can’t see the community at all, Hans Herman.
    Since you serve them with your essential waiting job, I'm sure you do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Btw, thanks for the promotion from the demimonde to the pe bourgeois, very generous of you, sir!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since you serve them with your essential waiting job, I'm sure you do.
    I've moved up to the managerial stratum, but totally agree. Hospitality is essential. I feel no shame serving other people, in fact I get a lot of enjoyment from it. I meet awesome people every day and watch them have a good time.

Pay is pretty good, too. Not sure why you cast derision on it, I would guess you get waited on a lot.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 12-06-2021 at 02:55 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you despise your waiter and the gal who turns your bed?

Sad!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An rust lawsuit against FB proceeds

A federal judge on Tuesday allowed the Federal Trade Commission’s an rust lawsuit against Facebook to move forward, rejecting Facebook’s request to dismiss the case and handing the agency a major victory in its quest to curtail the power of the biggest tech companies.

The judge, James Boasberg of the U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia, said last year that the F.T.C. had not provided sufficient evidence that the company, which has since renamed itself Meta, had a monopoly in social media and abused that power by harming compe ion. The agency refiled the case in August, and on Tuesday Judge Boasberg said that it had provided adequate support.

But he also included some caveats. Judge Boasberg said the agency could proceed with its claims that the company abused its monopoly power through acquisitions, which the agency has described as a “buy-or-bury” strategy. He dismissed, however, the agency’s charge that Facebook violated an rust laws by cutting off third parties from its platform.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/11/t...trust-ftc.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Amazing stuff coming out in the Texas an rust suit against Google

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The original WSJ reporting

The newly unredacted details provide more information about a series of programs that Google ran named Project Bernanke, Reserve Price Optimization and Dynamic Revenue Share. The Bernanke program has been previously reported on, but the newly unredacted complaint reveals that it had three versions between 2010 and 2019.

In the first version, Google misled publishers and advertisers to believe they were participating in a “second-price auction,” where the winner pays the price of the second-highest bid, when using its advertising exchange, AdX, according to allegations from the complaint. However, under Google’s Bernanke program, AdX would at times knock out the second-highest bid, allowing the third-highest bid to win, thus depriving the publisher of revenue, according to the complaint. At the same time, Google would charge advertisers the price of the second-highest bid and pocket the difference, the complaint said.

Google pooled the advertisers’ overpayments and used the money to manipulate auctions on its systems, at times boosting bids from advertisers bidding through its ad-buying tools to ensure it would win an auction it otherwise wouldn’t have, the complaint said.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-...es-11642176036

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Updates from the unredacted lawsuit:

The new complaint also claims that Google CEO Sundar Pichai and Facebook (fine! Meta) CEO Mark Zuckerberg approved the 2018 Jedi Blue pact whereby Facebook agreed not to create its own header bidding product in exchange for Google giving Facebook information as well as speed and other advantages in auctions.

The rise of header bidding around 2015 was a big threat to Google because it gave rival exchanges the ability to compete with Google on a more equal footing.

The previously unredacted suit references an email sent by an unnamed Google executive who wrote that header bidding had the potential to lower Google’s profit margins to around 5% from 20%, thereby threatening Google’s ability to justify its fees.

Google then allegedly hatched a plan to squash header bidding by striking partnerships and developing software to protect its position, including Open Bidding, which allowed publishers to route their inventory to multiple exchanges at the same time.

The purpose of the overall “Jedi” program, so named because Google was playing a “Jedi mind trick” on the industry, was to get publishers to stop using header bidding on their own.
    https://www.adexchanger.com/online-a...d-google-suit/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UK Gov't Plans Publicity Blitz To Undermine Privacy of Your Chats

The UK government is set to launch a multi-pronged publicity attack on end-to-end encryption, Rolling Stone has learned. From the report:One key objective: mobilizing public opinion against Facebook's decision to encrypt its Messenger app. The Home Office has hired the M&C Saatchi advertising agency -- a spin-off of Saatchi and Saatchi, which made the "Labour Isn't Working" election posters, among the most famous in UK political history -- to plan the campaign, using public funds. According to do ents reviewed by Rolling Stone, one the activities considered as part of the publicity offensive is a striking stunt -- placing an adult and child (both actors) in a glass box, with the adult looking "knowingly" at the child as the glass fades to black. Multiple sources confirmed the campaign was due to start this month, with privacy groups already planning a counter-campaign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Elon Musk has updated his NeuraLink brain implant:

I would say Elon has reached cartoonish levels of depravity, but he's hardly done. Human trials are next.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Judge invites plaintiffs to file for sanctions against FB and their lawyers for delaying discovery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) filed a complaint against the research, saying it caused "extreme suffering" on the monkeys, as they “had their brains mutilated in shoddy experiments and were left to suffer and die”.

The complaint addresses both Neuralink and the University of California who partnered in this experiment between 2017 and 2020. In the experiment, researchers implanted small devices into the skulls of macaque monkeys.

[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=var(--read-col)]The PCRM, through obtaining health records and necropsy reports, said the do ents reveal that the monkeys have been suffering "extreme psychological distress" as a result of the crude surgeries.

Neuralink used something called "BioGlue" which destroyed regions of the monkeys' brains, causing devastating psychological effects, including anxiety, vomiting, poor appe e, hair loss and self-mutilating behavior. Some even removed their own fingers.

In response, Neuralink called the complaint "misleading", saying in a blog post that the company [COLOR=var(--grey-dark-two)]“did and continues to meet federally mandated standards."

Addressing the deaths of the monkeys, Neuralink attributed the deaths to "terminal procedures" where the monkeys were euthanized after surgery.
    https://english.almayadeen.net/news/...before-killing

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

https://www.businessinsider.com/dona...ensored-2022-2

Matt Ortega, a web developer, tried to create an account called "@DevinNunesCow" — but tweeted that his account was banned by Truth Social due to "social community guidelines violations."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    market correction

The Nasdaq 100 is currently in its third bear market of the last 5 years.

Tech stocks are getting vaporized. Amazon fell 5.6% today, wiping out all the gains going back to July 2020. Netflix and Facebook are trading at the same level they were at in 2018.
    The three strongest names in the group, Apple, Google, and Microsoft, are finally losing their bids. All are in correction territory.

The amount of market cap that’s being sucked out of these names is without precedent. The seven biggest stocks in the United States are $3 trillion lower today than they were at their combined peaks.

Facebook has shed more market cap than any other stock in the world. $567 billion wiped out. $510 billion remain.

The somewhat messy chart below is sorted by market cap decline. Fun fact; PayPal is the 20th biggest company in the S&P 500 and has the ignominious honor of losing more market cap than all but 7 companies. A 70% decline in seven months for a mega-cap company is really something else.

It’s hard to find a lot of positives to say about the current market environment, but I’ll try anyway; These businesses are cheaper today than they were a year ago. Okay, that’s all I got for now.
    https://theirrelevantinvestor.com/20...the-streets-2/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    comparison with energy

Since the inception of the Bloomberg Commodities Index in 1991, it’s up a total of 24%.

If you squint hard enough, you can see an annual return of just 0.7%.

That’s not only worse than the 2.5% inflation rate in that time; it’s a lower return than you would have earned parking your money in cash. Three month t-bills have returned 2.3% per year since 1991.
    Even if we were to look at the fully collateralized version of this futures-based index1 the returns are still only 3% per year or so.

Commodities over the long-term give you roughly the returns of cash but with much higher volatility.

Volatility is not good or bad per se. It really depends on how you react to or use that volatility.

The volatility in commodities can present both danger and opportunity depending on where we are in the cycle.

You can see the boom-bust nature of this asset class:

Sometimes these cycles are short. Other times they can last for an extended period.

Some people think we’re setting up for another commodities supercycle.

That’s certainly possible.

The transition to renewable forms of energy is sure to be a bumpy process. Plus we’re dealing with supply chain issues, the pandemic, more than a decade of underinvestment following the 2008 crisis and war with one of the biggest energy suppliers in the world.

Others assume technology is deflationary and bound to make prices cheaper over time despite the current headwinds.

This tug-of-war actually makes for interesting boom-bust cycles in technology and energy stocks as well.

Following the bursting of the dot-com bubble, commodities went into a bull market that saw energy stocks smoke tech stocks:

The aftermath of the Great Financial Crisis saw a reversal of this trend in a big way as tech stocks have crushed it while energy stocks got crushed:

The highest inflation rates in four decades and strong comeback in oil prices has seen energy stocks take the lead again since the start of 2021:

This year alone the energy sector is up almost 36% while tech stocks have fallen nearly 14%.

Despite the current run-up in prices, the long bear market in energy stocks caused some major damage to the sector.

In mid-2008, energy stocks made up 17% of the S&P 500. By the spring of 2020, it was down to 2.7% of the index. Even after gaining more than 100% since 2021, energy stocks still make up less than 4% of the S&P.
    https://awealthofcommonsense.com/202...n-commodities/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People do this out of contempt, but for smart computers it's just logical.

Thread Information