Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An rust enforcement in the US is a legit threat to Google's SOP. States are taking charge at the moment, I think we're up to three distinct multi-state lawsuits targeting Google.

The context in which Google gave Facebook special terms was an effort by publishers to cir vent Google’s online advertising monopoly by dealing directly with advertisers through a technical process called “header bidding,” hopefully cutting themselves better deals.

In March 2017, Facebook publicly endorsed header bidding. Google approached Facebook and in September 2018 reached the digital advertising agreement, the states allege. The draft lawsuit says Google code-named it “Jedi Blue.”

Here are the terms of the Jedi Blue contract:

I will focus on the “millisecond” timeout aspect, because while the other terms are such as could be drawn up over cheap steaks and bad red wine in a provincial airport hotel restaurant, the timeout involves and corrupts the inherent technical characteristics of the platform. Oddly, the Journal mentions it, but does not explain it. The heavily redacted original complaint does:

(FAN is “Facebook Audience Network,” presumably feeding the winning bid from Google’s auctions into its own systems.)

Recall the words “in an instant,” and “real time.” As it turns out, Google is gaming its own auction to make those wprds mean different things for different clients. (It’s as if I were buying material at a fabric store by the yard — except the store was using a rubber yardstick, stretching out the “yard” for lucky clients, shrinking it for the unlucky.) Computation takes time. Those extra-milliseconds Google granted Facebook are important, because the auction bidding itself can take milliseconds. The extra time allows Facebook’s systems to be a little bit slower. The extra time also allows Facebook an informational advantage, because — speculating here — it gives Facebook to merge its own data with that it gets from Google. Finally, the extra time allows Facebook to outwait other bidders.

* * *I said that Google’s advertising exchange was using a rubber yardstick. Michael Hudson has something to say about that:

For starters, any practical payment system for credit and trader requires accurate weighing and measuring. This calls for public oversight as a check on fraudulent practice. Trust cannot be left to individuals engaging in barter or credit on their own.

Yet this is exactly what we have done, because Google’s algorithm is proprietary, and Google’s auction is a black box to regulators.

Crooked merchants historically have used light weights [rubber milliseconds] when selling goods or lending out money so as to give their [disfavored, non-Facebook] customers less, and heavy weights when buying or collecting debts so as to gain an unduly large amount of silver or other commodities….

Biblical denunciations of merchants using false weights and measures find their antecedents in Babylonia. Hammurabi’s laws (gap x [Roth 1998:98], sometimes referred to as §94 and §95) stipulates that merchants who lend grain or money by a small weight but demand payment using a larger measure should forfeit whatever they had lent. Ale‑women found guilty of using crooked weights and measures in selling beer were to be cast into the water (§108 [Roth 1998:101])…. Such abuses are timeless. The 7th century BC prophet Amos (8:5ff.) depicts the Lord as denouncing wealthy Israelites “who trample the needy and do away with the poor of the land” by scheming, “skimping the measure (making the ephah small), boosting the price (making the shekel great), and cheating with dishonest scales.” Likewise the prophet Micah (6:11) denounces merchants using “the short ephah, which is accursed? Shall I acquit a man with dishonest scales, with a bag of false weights?” (Kula 1986 reviews Biblical and Koranic examples.)

How is what Google is doing with its 300 millisecond “timeout” for Facebook any different from these “timeless abuses”? Answer, it isn’t. Is this a “free market”? No. If every giant, data-driven Silicon Valley is rigging the game like Google — and why wouldn’t they? — do we even have a “free market society”? No, we don’t.

Hudson also points out the essential role of temples in maintaining weights and measures:

Who else but temples and palaces could have provided honest standards? Monetary exchange could not have been workable without their oversight of standardized weights and measures, attesting to the purity of the monetary metals, and sanctions against fraud. That is why silver was minted in temples from Mesopotamia through Rome. Our word for ‘money’ comes from Rome’s Temple of Juno Moneta…
    https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2021...ee-market.html

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, this just s on Private company

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Twitter isn’t the only place Roseanne can speak

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Twitter isn’t the only place Roseanne can speak
    Its the biggest audience she can reach.

Think a bit before you post

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its the biggest audience she can reach.

Think a bit before you post
    thats fine. that doesnt make it analogous to the case you mentioned

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anti-capitalist tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://twitter.com/doctorow/status/1350618956680216577?s=20

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Creepy white guy with BLM tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    David Dayen, author of "Monopolized" reads the tea leaves

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOP freshmen request unity on an rust enforcement against big tech

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Twitter permanently bans suspect Iran account after post threatens former President Donald Trump

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Twitter said Friday it has permanently banned an account that some in Iran believe is linked to the office of the country's supreme leader after a posting that seemed to threaten former President Donald Trump.

In the image posted by the suspect account late Thursday, Trump is shown playing golf in the shadow of a giant drone, with the caption "Revenge is certain" written in Farsi.

In response to a request for comment from The Associated Press, a Twitter spokesman said the account was fake and violated the company's "manipulation and spam policy," without elaborating how it came to that conclusion.

The tweet of the golfer-drone photo violated the company's "abusive behavior policy," Twitter's spokesman added.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...mp/6679023002/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forgot Poland was still a thing. They must thank God every day the west saved them in WW2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Twitter bans MyPillow CEO
    Mike Lindell had promoted conspiracy theories about the presidential election.

Twitter has pulled the plug on the account of MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell.

A spokesperson for Twitter said, "This account was suspended for repeated violations of our civic integrity policy.” Twitter confirmed late Monday that the ban on the entrepreneur from Minnesota is a permanent one.

The ban is the latest in a series of disciplinary actions taken by Twitter that include, most notably, the banning of former President Donald Trump in an effort to reduce the spread of blatant political lies and punish those who incited violence, particularly in connection with the Jan. 6 insurrection at the Capitol. Lindell has been a vocal backer of Trump, and reports surfaced earlier this month that he suggested the president declare martial law in the wake of what he saw as widespread election fraud.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...low-ceo-462531

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

well yeah, when an account gets suspended for saying

"MAGA, Democrats suck!

and btw kill the jews, race war now"

thats not targeting "conservatism"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well yeah, when an account gets suspended for saying

"MAGA, Democrats suck!

and btw kill the jews, race war now"

thats not targeting "conservatism"
    uniting against racist oppression and violence is optional, of course. the GOP brand doesn't have to be white people scared of change and others who don't resemble them.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Crack is a uva drug

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Crack is a uva drug
    That guy was a presidential adviser... smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fox is losing viewership and feels screwed post-trump.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/02/media...ces/index.html

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Expert: Sarah Palin's case against the NYT is a landmine for the First Amendment

For more than half a century, conservatives have wanted to eradicate New York Times v. Sullivan
    , the 1964 Supreme Court decision that is the nation's most important First Amendment case.

If the Supreme Court invalidates NYT, federal judges—including the 230 appointed by President Trump—will preside over more libel suits against journalists he calls "the enemy of the people."

Anyone who makes factual errors when criticizing government or accusing a person of misconduct could be dragged into court and left des ute by a jury's verdict or legal bills.

Public officials with government jobs and public figures—those who are well-known or have entered a public controversy—can win lawsuits that previously would have been unsuccessful.

The NYT ruling is essential to our democracy because

it protects discussion of political issues and the fitness of those seeking public office.

Justice William Brennan's famous passage in the case exemplifies its significance:

"Thus, we consider this case against the background of a profound national commitment to the principle that

debate on public issues should be uninhibited, robust, and wide-open, and

that it may well include vehement, caustic, and sometimes unpleasantly sharp attacks on government and public officials."

https://www.rawstory.com/palin-new-york-times/

===================

Another tactic in the oligarchy's putsch to overturn democracy was St Ronnie The Diseased Useful Idiot repealing the Fairness Doctrine in 1987

"The fairness doctrine had two basic elements:

It required broadcasters to devote some of their airtime to discussing controversial matters of
    public interest, and

to air contrasting views regarding those matters.

The demise of this FCC rule has been considered by some to be a contributing factor for the rising level of party polarization in the United States."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_fairness_doctrine

Rush Limbaugh in early '90s was one of the first torch bearers of right wing hate media as a result of the Fairness Doctrine cancellation, leading to inflammation of the right and today's death-to-America's polarization,

followed by bag Murdoch and bag Roger Ailes in 1996 with Fox so-called News.

Conservatives want to repeal 230 so they can intimidate and silence in court the media critics of their bull
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 02-03-2021 at 06:32 AM.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

System tells me that they're clean as a whistle

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count