Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    good enough for a watch, not really worth a rewatch is what i would say about it

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I barely finished it. Had enough by the end of episode six but saw no point in quitting that far in so I pushed myself to watch the last two. What a drag

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It must not have much of a story, the episodes drag on relentlessly with boring dialogue. Everyone has a monologue.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    Just finished it last night. Avoided this thread until then to avoid spoilers.

I was a fan. The story was a bit hard to follow at times due to taking place in two different time periods. Once you started making that connection out and they connected it for you it was quite an enjoyable watch imo

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I was a fan. The story was a bit hard to follow at times due to taking place in two different time periods. Once you started making that connection out and they connected it for you it was quite an enjoyable watch imo
    I thought Witcher got a bit gushy toward Yen, out of character. Is that part of the game or just some Netflix level drama?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I thought Witcher got a bit gushy toward Yen, out of character. Is that part of the game or just some Netflix level drama?
    Part of the books. Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri become a non-traditional, dysfunctional family due to their bond to each other - Geralt made that wish to the djinn linking his fate to Yen's, and he is linked to Ciri due to the law of surprise. Geralt and Yen are on-again, off-again, ing other people though... always getting drawn back together.

That's one thing the tv show explained poorly. That episode where they hunted the dragon was supposed to take place years after their encounter with the djinn (when they first met). It doesn't feel like it though because it's literally the very next episode... their feelings toward each other feel completely unearned.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

At one point it was 3 different timeliness

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Show is decent. Has potential to improve and grow.

The music score was A+, sword fighting A+.

Show just has awkward pacing, tries to throw you in the deep end, then also drags along at times. Took me a sec to realize there were different timelines, which I didn't mind, but they should have done a better job explaining for a second or two longer that years (or even decades) had passed between certain episodes.
    I read that this season was based on short stories that take place prior to the first actual Witcher book. I think that may be partly why the show seems to be so monologue heavy and not much political/war/relationship storybuilding.
    I'll watch the next season, still a solid fantasy show, I expect it to improve.
    I'd say the first season plays out kind of like a live action anime lol.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Show just has awkward pacing, tries to throw you in the deep end, then also drags along at times. Took me a sec to realize there were different timelines, which I didn't mind, but they should have done a better job explaining for a second or two longer that years (or even decades) had passed between certain episodes.
    I read that this season was based on short stories that take place prior to the first actual Witcher book. I think that may be partly why the show seems to be so monologue heavy and not much political/war/relationship storybuilding.
    Yeah now that introductions are made, and everybody is all in the same timeline, I am anticipating big improvements once they get into the meat of the series. I just hope that there isn't a huge drop-off in viewers that were turned off by the awkwardness of the first season.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals

Agree with a lot of this. I did think it was an odd choice to not just jump into the main story. It definitely seemed a bit fragmented and broken at times. Regardless, as you said I enjoyed it and am pretty excited to see where they take season 2

Spurs Fan
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Watched the first two episodes last night and am loving it. Will try to wrap it up in a week or two.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    good enough for a watch, not really worth a rewatch is what i would say about it
    True true

I’m not the biggest Cavill fan but I really like him as Geralt

Overall, acting was pretty good in season 1, probably because there are a lot of British actors

you're a phony Holden_Caulfield's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Cal Bears
    i didnt feel anything when they finally met at the end but i enjoyed it. the little girls story was boring to me but the other two was interesting enough to watch season 2 but it wont be available until 2021

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    True true

I’m not the biggest Cavill fan but I really like him as Geralt

Overall, acting was pretty good in season 1, probably because there are a lot of British actors
    This is the first thing I've seen Cavill in where he didn't annoy the out of me.
    Only played Witcher 3 in spurts, he nailed that Geralt voice and tone, that's for sure.

Why are british actors superhumans when it comes to faking accents?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i didnt feel anything when they finally met at the end but i enjoyed it. the little girls story was boring to me but the other two was interesting enough to watch season 2 but it wont be available until 2021
    So I read that Ciri doesn't appear until way further in the books, if they did season 1 in sequential order she'd not be introduced until season 2 or 3. But she's a huge huge part of the overall storyline, so for the viewer they felt it made sense to do two timelines so her character is explained and developed alongside Geralt and Yen

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    This is the first thing I've seen Cavill in where he didn't annoy the out of me.
    Only played Witcher 3 in spurts, he nailed that Geralt voice and tone, that's for sure.

Why are british actors superhumans when it comes to faking accents?
    Because most of them are stage actors

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    3 episodes in

the structure is wonky. I don’t even mind the timeline thing (should have been better explained) but Geralts story to this point is just a disjointed series of new mini adventures with no overall advancement

only yen has shown growth

ciri just running in forest, nothing really to follow there

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Finished it.

There's a lot of problems with it but I still liked it.

Seemed like the show was more about Yennifer and less about Witcher. The princess running around the whole season was just annoying. They could have completely cut her out after the castle siege until the season finale and it wouldn't have changed a thing.

I thought the witcher mini adventures were pretty good. And I wanted to see more of that assassin that Yen fought against.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Finished it.

There's a lot of problems with it but I still liked it.

Seemed like the show was more about Yennifer and less about Witcher. The princess running around the whole season was just annoying. They could have completely cut her out after the castle siege until the season finale and it wouldn't have changed a thing.

I thought the witcher mini adventures were pretty good. And I wanted to see more of that assassin that Yen fought against.
    Yeah it's bc they didnt wanna wait until season 2 or 3 to introduce ciri

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Yeah it's bc they didnt wanna wait until season 2 or 3 to introduce ciri
    Well it made the show worse, imo

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Eh I already have Ciri on my iphone anyway

I’m sorry 😐

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    4 episodes in now. the production quality of the show is pretty great (except for the ridiculously obvious CG backdrop of ciri in the weird forest)... but man i think they do a really poor job of explaining the story to an audience unfamiliar with the lore

this episode introduced the law of surprise thing, which i had to rewatch and then read about to really understand. seemed like a really stupid coincidence that both times it comes up in the episode there just happens to be an unknown child

i kinda wish i had played the games first before watching. i'm just hearing weird things and having to read up on them

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    4 episodes in now. the production quality of the show is pretty great (except for the ridiculously obvious CG backdrop of ciri in the weird forest)
    That unfortunately is not their lowest point in the CGI department. They have a long ways to go before they get Game of Thrones money to make the CGI competent.

Sometimes during certain scenes the special effects were so laughable you could actually see the green screen reflecting off the actor's faces.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    That unfortunately is not their lowest point in the CGI department. They have a long ways to go before they get Game of Thrones money to make the CGI competent.

Sometimes during certain scenes the special effects were so laughable you could actually see the green screen reflecting off the actor's faces.
    go back and rewatch season 1 of thrones... its nothing special from the effects department

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    4 episodes in now. the production quality of the show is pretty great (except for the ridiculously obvious CG backdrop of ciri in the weird forest)... but man i think they do a really poor job of explaining the story to an audience unfamiliar with the lore

this episode introduced the law of surprise thing, which i had to rewatch and then read about to really understand. seemed like a really stupid coincidence that both times it comes up in the episode there just happens to be an unknown child

i kinda wish i had played the games first before watching. i'm just hearing weird things and having to read up on them
    Yeah the law of surprise thing is kind of a weak underlying premise to carry the plot on.

I mean all he had to do was say okay toss me a coin oh valley of plenty and be on his way

Thread Information