Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having a reason for doing something doesn't remove blame. Kawhi had a reason for being a too.

I'd still love to have Morris as a buyout candidate this spring though.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you expect a player that isn't getting a bunch of max contracts to not jump at the chance to make another $5 million? Not only that, but the higher contract gives him more options for more money on future deals and he is likely to get a much better contract next year when there are less free agents to gobble up the money. I expect that every person on this forum would take the additional $5 million if they were in his shoes.
    I would agree except it is not that simple

1. New York income tax
    2. New York property tax
    3. Cost of living
    4. Spurs made sacrifices based off his word
    5. He could have said, "hey, I will sign, but can you give me a few days to see if I can do better" .....at the very least

1-3 will chew up a good part of 5M and 4 and 5 are just simply being upfront and stand up guy.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    seems like nba players aren’t allowed to sign right away after agreeing is so they could have a chance of changing their mind...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would agree except it is not that simple

1. New York income tax
    2. New York property tax
    3. Cost of living
    4. Spurs made sacrifices based off his word
    5. He could have said, "hey, I will sign, but can you give me a few days to see if I can do better" .....at the very least

1-3 will chew up a good part of 5M and 4 and 5 are just simply being upfront and stand up guy.
    I'm sure there are plenty of ways for an athlete to make up that money in the NYC market. They have more than HEBs and Taco Cabanas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    seems like nba players aren’t allowed to sign right away after agreeing is so they could have a chance of changing their mind...
    That is literally the opposite of the INTENT of the moratorium period.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is literally the opposite of the INTENT of the moratorium period.
    I thought the intent was to give the NBA bean counters time to calculate the exact amount of the cap and tax because contracts can't have specific salaries and terms until that happens. However, I don't see why that should take 5-6 days. I would be in favor of opening free agency on July 3 at noon eastern time but not having a moratorium at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are the fat chick at the end of the night

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought the intent was to give the NBA bean counters time to calculate the exact amount of the cap and tax because contracts can't have specific salaries and terms until that happens. However, I don't see why that should take 5-6 days. I would be in favor of opening free agency on July 3 at noon eastern time but not having a moratorium at all.
    NBA seems to be talking about this exact thing amongst other things; but you are correct. Moratorium is not so “players can change their mind”. It’s so teams can get everything in order along with the NBA to execute legally all the agreed upon moves.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs offered 20 million for 2 years, I’m taking the guaranteed 20 million over 15/1 year
    This is not the NFL, this is the NBA where he will play for a tanking organization. Its basically a one year vacation with limited to zero possibility of injury being paid 15m. At the end of the season he will be the freshest free agent out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is not the NFL, this is the NBA where he will play for a tanking organization. Its basically a one year vacation with limited to zero possibility of injury being paid 15m. At the end of the season he will be the freshest free agent out there.
    Teams had money this year and he still was not a big deal to them. Now? After this? He’s not good enough to worry about for teams in light of his issues.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams had money this year and he still was not a big deal to them. Now? After this? He’s not good enough to worry about for teams in light of his issues.
    You have a point there since Boston elected to let him go and even though Ainge made some questionable decisions last season i still think very highly of him so he must know a thing or two about Morris's personality

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Happens all the time in the real world.

Dunder Mifflin was basing a reorganization around Josh Porter but he bolted once he got a better offer. Forcing DM to shut down the Stamford branch.
    Just watched S01E01 on Netflix. Funny

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have a point there since Boston elected to let him go and even though Ainge made some questionable decisions last season i still think very highly of him so he must know a thing or two about Morris's personality
    Boston also traded IT at his absolute peak. Good move. But could have also traded only one of Brown or Tatum, at their peaks, to get Kawhi. They would have rang easily last year with Kawhi, Brown or Tatum, Horford, Hayward, Kyrie and Scary Terry. Big mistake

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are the fat chick at the end of the night
    Yeah, and Marcus Morris is the belligerent desperately searching for something to .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just watched S01E01 on Netflix. Funny
    If you are just starting The Office for the first time, you are in for a fun ride my friend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having a reason for doing something doesn't remove blame. Kawhi had a reason for being a too.

I'd still love to have Morris as a buyout candidate this spring though.
    Nah, not now. He burned that bridge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure there are plenty of ways for an athlete to make up that money in the NYC market. They have more than HEBs and Taco Cabanas.
    I don't know how many revenue streams are available to an afterthought like Marcus, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are you agreeing to anything if you're not sure about the deal you just agreed to? This can't be good for Morris or free agency moving forward...at what point will teams take player's word at face value?...with the KL situation (Raps/Lakers) and now Morris players are losing a lot of credibility among front offices and fans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish him nothing but the best TBH. Same for Nephew. Don’t let the door hitcha homeboy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are you agreeing to anything if you're not sure about the deal you just agreed to? This can't be good for Morris or free agency moving forward...at what point will teams take player's word at face value?...with the KL situation (Raps/Lakers) and now Morris players are losing a lot of credibility among front offices and fans
    Eh, not really. It probably means a team will not trade a player like the Spurs did until a contract is signed. But I guess it might hurt where teams have to make a trade to finalize the deal. In those instances, maybe the team passes on the deal, though I'd bet that doesn't even stop the deal from happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    marcus morris basically called us a pity signing.........spurs will never sign marquee free agents or even middle of the road players in their prime until they relocate to austin
    LMA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, not really. It probably means a team will not trade a player like the Spurs did until a contract is signed. But I guess it might hurt where teams have to make a trade to finalize the deal. In those instances, maybe the team passes on the deal, though I'd bet that doesn't even stop the deal from happening.
    Just saying it might hurt players especially those with shady/wishy washy histories...why attempt to negotiate with a guy like Morris if there's a chance he's going to pull this kinda crap?...I'd just rather shop elsewhere...also it's great for teams that get their guy but what happens to the ones end up holding the bag?

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are trying to fit MARCUS MORRIS into the thinking, rational human being round hole. That doesn't add up.

We are talking about a weird guy who has had "issues" for awhile. They want their money by any means necessary. Integrity is not a life skill often displayed by current NBA players. Jeez, contracts mean nothing now.
    EXACTLY!!!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think any team dealing with New York in the future are going to dot their eyes and cross their T.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs offered 20 million for 2 years, I’m taking the guaranteed 20 million over 15/1 year
    Why? Do you think there's that much of a chance of the wheels falling off? He can sign for another 15 next year and live in NY.

Thread Information