Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Race 4 Seis Chodus!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Things moved very fast at the start of free agency (more than 50 contracts were agreed to in the first 24 hours) and that left Morris not wanting the music to stop without him having a chair. That’s when he accepted the two-year, $20 million offer from San Antonio. Morris said he didn’t expect another offer, but when the Knicks came through with one year, $15 million he wanted it and tried to be up front about the situation.

https://sports.yahoo.com/marcus-morr...025511538.html

The Facts:

1. Rich Paul advised Marcus Morris to sign the Clippers deal - he declined
    2. Marcus Morris worked out the Knicks deal without Rich Paul's involvement

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Players just don't give a because there are no repercussions.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems at least Paul wanted him to keep his word with the spurs but he refused to and that’s probably why they split. Interesting, I would have imagined Paul to be the one pushing him to sign with Knicks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a nonchalant way of being a ing .

“I have a good relationship with those guys and I have so much respect for (head coach) Pop (Gregg Popovich), (general manager) RC (Buford) and (assistant GM) Brian Wright,” Morris told The Athletic. “The first thing that I did when I knew I would be going another direction, I called and made sure they knew. There was no shade. There’s no disrespect. I had great conversations afterward, and as long as I feel that I’m clear with them and gave them my truth, I feel good about moving forward.
    “I was under the impression that I didn’t have anything left. I thought at the time that the Spurs deal was all that I had. The process wasn’t what I expected and it didn’t go the right way.”

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you expect a player that isn't getting a bunch of max contracts to not jump at the chance to make another $5 million? Not only that, but the higher contract gives him more options for more money on future deals and he is likely to get a much better contract next year when there are less free agents to gobble up the money. I expect that every person on this forum would take the additional $5 million if they were in his shoes.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you expect a player that isn't getting a bunch of max contracts to not jump at the chance to make another $5 million? Not only that, but the higher contract gives him more options for more money on future deals and he is likely to get a much better contract next year when there are less free agents to gobble up the money. I expect that every person on this forum would take the additional $5 million if they were in his shoes.

no

once you commit and once the spurs traded bertans that was crossing a line

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no

This. If the Spurs had just offered him a contract and something bigger came along, that's fine.

He made a verbal commitment which was very publicly broadcast. The Spurs made several moves based on that verbal commitment. And then he reneged.

I don't blame him for wanting $5M more (who wouldn't), but that doesn't mean he isn't a little for getting it the way that he did.

I also think that it could have negative repercussions on his career (negative reputation, wallowing away on a ty Knicks team that is overloaded at the PF spot, losing money on state taxes and cost of living in New York) that it won't be worth it in the long run, but what's done is done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs offered 20 million for 2 years, I’m taking the guaranteed 20 million over 15/1 year

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no

It crossed the line for Spurs fans, but front office understood; they blame the Knicks. But for a player and a rational business person, you take the $5 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It crossed the line for Spurs fans, but front office understood; they blame the Knicks. But for a player and a rational business person, you take the $5 million.
    If you're a rationale asshole, yeah you take the 5M.

If you have a minimum of values and self-esteem, after an organisation traded a rotation player and gave a third year to another one to make place for you, you take what at the end of the day is still 20 ing millions dollars...

You won't end up in the street and still get the big house, the hoes and the coke.

And where did you see Spurs were OK with it? MORRIS says they're fine and has a lot of respect for people he just ed up.

Go ask Pop and Rc if they're OK having lost Bertans for nada.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    marcus morris basically called us a pity signing.........spurs will never sign marquee free agents or even middle of the road players in their prime until they relocate to austin
    “I was under the impression that I didn’t have anything left. I thought at the time that the Spurs deal was all that I had. The process wasn’t what I expected and it didn’t go the right way.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sucks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are trying to fit MARCUS MORRIS into the thinking, rational human being round hole. That doesn't add up.

We are talking about a weird guy who has had "issues" for awhile. They want their money by any means necessary. Integrity is not a life skill often displayed by current NBA players. Jeez, contracts mean nothing now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Happens all the time in the real world.

Dunder Mifflin was basing a reorganization around Josh Porter but he bolted once he got a better offer. Forcing DM to shut down the Stamford branch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude is understandably in it for himself, but couldn't have cared less about his word. I guess not having a Father around growing up may have had a hand in that. He would have caused locker room chemistry issues more than likely anyway, I can't see dude sipping espressos with a bunch of nice guys with manners and morals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is only a precursor of the further erosion of the facade of team loyalty both toward the player and from the player. Players will be moved in the middle of the night, without their knowledge, and there will be no mercy. Then a team like SA will emerge with a different approach that pretends to give a about the player. I say "pretends" because in the boardroom it's all about the bottom line. Even if the GM and HC genuinely care about the player, the board is looking for capital gain. Someone has to give. Small market teams will need a shtick to acquire talent. With all teams being basically merc hunters, why would a talented player pick a market that doesn't capitalize on their relatively short prime both for NBA/media spotlight and endorsements? Not to mention actually living in those areas.

The NBA needs to create a better profit sharing model, but as long as their are franchises, they will likely undercut each other and the product will suffer eventually.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if the spurs offered him 2/20 and the knicks simultaneously offered him 1/15... then fine. pick whichever deal is best for you. nobody here complains when guys we are targeting get paid more elsewhere. the difference is the commitment/agreement during the moratorium period, which triggered the moves the spurs made. dont say "you've got a deal" and then back out. instead you can say "thanks for the offer, i'm considering it and will let you know"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if the spurs offered him 2/20 and the knicks simultaneously offered him 1/15... then fine. pick whichever deal is best for you. nobody here complains when guys we are targeting get paid more elsewhere. the difference is the commitment/agreement during the moratorium period, which triggered the moves the spurs made. dont say "you've got a deal" and then back out. instead you can say "thanks for the offer, i'm considering it and will let you know"
    Unless "you've got a deal" isn't in any way binding. As a lawyer you should know that you cannot rely on good faith to secure a multimillion dollar business deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless "you've got a deal" isn't in any way binding. As a lawyer you should know that you cannot rely on good faith to secure a multimillion dollar business deal.
    Philo

did i say its legally binding? its the course of business. the moratorium period is specifically designed to allow teams to make multiple agreements and make moves in a particular order to facilitate the transactions. that's why these reneged deals (deandre, boozer) always end up with this sort of coverage. it's a big deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bro. We traded people and tweeked contracts.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    did i say its legally binding? its the course of business. the moratorium period is specifically designed to allow teams to make multiple agreements and make moves in a particular order to facilitate the transactions. that's why these reneged deals (deandre, boozer) always end up with this sort of coverage. it's a big deal.
    Agree. Why have a moratorium and verbal agreements at all if they can't be trusted? If reneging becomes widespread enough then the moratorium period will just have to go away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i mean to sign aldridge, the spurs had to quickly come to agreements with duncan/manu to lower their cap holds. manu was actually renounced and then signed under the room exception for a very specific dollar amount. but ginobili had to sign that deal AFTER the aldridge signing. then kawhi had to be signed after LMA as well. but duncan's deal had to come first.

if LMA chose to sign elsewhere, its very likely the spurs would have instead given duncan/manu more money and they would have just operated above the cap to have the full MLE

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bro. We traded people and tweeked contracts.
    I know, but if you are Morris, you take the $5 million. It sucks for the Spurs, but I don't blame Morris. The deal wasn't there when he agreed with the Spurs. Yes the Spurs made moves and yes the Spurs got screwed, but the Spurs were getting a steal with Morris on the MLE. When the new deal opened up, he took it. He has a limited number of years to get contracts and then he's done. If the Spurs lost a bench player that probably would have played minimal minutes this season, Morris can live with that.

Should the Spurs be mad? Yes, but they can't blame a player. The Spurs will recover from the Bertans trade. Heck, Lyes could end up being better for all we know. But regardless, Spurs biggest beef would have to be with NY. A player like Morris has to chase the money, but the Knicks knew the Spurs had a deal and that the Spurs traded a player and they still made the offer anyway knowing they had a bunch of power forward assets already on the team. They know they'll likely be dealing Morris at the deadline. They basically through some cash at him to turn him into an asset down the road, like a draft pick to a contender that needs help at that pe ion and is desperate. Spurs should be pissed at NY because they tanked the deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a nonchalant way of being a ing .

“I have a good relationship with those guys and I have so much respect for (head coach) Pop (Gregg Popovich), (general manager) RC (Buford) and (assistant GM) Brian Wright,” Morris told The Athletic. “The first thing that I did when I knew I would be going another direction, I called and made sure they knew. There was no shade. There’s no disrespect. I had great conversations afterward, and as long as I feel that I’m clear with them and gave them my truth, I feel good about moving forward.
    He only signed with the Spurs because there were no other offers. No shade in that comment whatsoever

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He only signed with the Spurs because there were no other offers. No shade in that comment whatsoever
    Eh, people are too sensitive. If NY offered the same dollar amount, he'd be a Spur. Players on his level are looking for the biggest payday. San Antonio isn't a market players avoid. It's just that most of the time we do not have the money to bag the best free agents. That's because we've always had Tim, Manu, and Tony and that ate up much of the room that could have gotten other big time free agents.

Thread Information