Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Curtis is right, of course. The tampering rule is a joke and needs to be dumped. Trying to prevent people from talking to each other is unenforceable, and stupid, and obviously achieves nothing for league parity.

Kori's nightmare SpurOutofTownFan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there any way to make the player sign a separate agreement at the time of verbal promise that is enforceable in court in case the player reneges later on? I don't see how the NBA could stop something like that.

You may say the player would never sign something like that but then the player cannot be made an offer. But in a situation like this where the player said that the Spurs offers is all that he thought he had at that time maybe he would have signed.

Then you go to court to enforce the agreement and I'm sure since it's - most likely - across states that it will have to be litigated at a federal court where a judge could even injunct the player from accepting another offer. That federal court mandate would surpass whatever the NBA can do.

Just a thought.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there any way to make the player sign a separate agreement at the time of verbal promise that is enforceable in court in case the player reneges later on? ...
    The direct approach would be to get rid of the moratorium period. That would get rid of oral agreements. The player could sign from day 1, as soon as his previous contract expires.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Enforce stricter tampering rules but as a conccesion

Rooke contract should be limited to 3 years and no RFA.

I support the idea of giving younger dudes the choice of where they want to play. Its their life.
    Look, the nba isn’t real life. The draft is a key component of running a good league. If you do away with the draft, then this problem becomes worse.

Also, like in real jobs, if a company wants you to relocate you either do it or find another company. If they don’t want to play in SA when they are drafted go work in another company.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    simple solution really stop having teams in small markets relocate them all problem solved even playing fields for all teams

san antonio to austin
    sacremento to san diego
    okc to las vegas
    milwaukee to seattle
    new orleans to mexico city
    indiana to san francisco
    charlotte to pittsburgh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    simple solution really stop having teams in small markets relocate them all problem solved even playing fields for all teams

san antonio to austin
    sacremento to san diego
    okc to las vegas
    milwaukee to seattle
    new orleans to mexico city
    indiana to san francisco
    charlotte to pittsburgh

That doesn't solve anything...

Oakland relocated to SF this year.
    Doubt people want to move to Austin more than SA.
    Not familiar with sac, but San Diego would be more attractive.
    Anything better than OKC
    Seattle should still have its own NBA team
    F no to Mexico city.
    Charlotte >> Pittsburgh

And above all that, it still doesn't change the status quo ....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As somebody who's never been to Texas, moving the Spurs to Austin makes a lot of sense tbh

The San Antonio Spurs of Austin sounds great IMO.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That doesn't solve anything...

Oakland relocated to SF this year.
    Doubt people want to move to Austin more than SA.
    Not familiar with sac, but San Diego would be more attractive.
    Anything better than OKC
    Seattle should still have its own NBA team
    F no to Mexico city.
    Charlotte >> Pittsburgh

And above all that, it still doesn't change the status quo ....
    He's just being a . Austin has 950K people, and is the 49th TV market. SA has 1.5M people, and is the 37th TV market.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the near future small market teams will be nothing more than talent pools for big market teams once a player polishes his game he will than leave the small market for a bigger market and team up with other talented plays forming a “super team” making it to where there will only be 6 relevant teams in the league.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    He's just being a . Austin has 950K people, and is the 49th TV market. SA has 1.5M people, and is the 37th TV market.
    spurs in austin automatically becomes a top tier free agent destination

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs in austin automatically becomes a top tier free agent destination
    No. Besides, vegan hipsters don't buy tickets to games, or watch them on TV. That's why Austin has all minor league teams.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The next CBA is going to be a blood bath. No way billionaire whities let these guys continue to call the shots. No ing way.

Also, has the NBA ever had a commissioner that did not fit your description? They all jerk it to LA and NY

Overall I couldn't agree more with you.
    Agreed on the next CBA. If good players get perpetual free agency owners should be pushing hard for non-guaranteed contracts. You pay Kawhi and he's worth it but he forces his way out to LA and there is nothing you can do since he goes AWOL. But you pay John Wall and he becomes a fat piece of and that contract is anchored around your neck for years. Bull . Players can't have it both ways.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed on the next CBA. If good players get perpetual free agency owners should be pushing hard for non-guaranteed contracts. You pay Kawhi and he's worth it but he forces his way out to LA and there is nothing you can do since he goes AWOL. But you pay John Wall and he becomes a fat piece of and that contract is anchored around your neck for years. Bull . Players can't have it both ways.
    Agreed. Sick of hearing every former player defend all the player crap these days - They have a right to be where they want. And owners can trade the contract whenever ....

They get the right to choose where they work when they become a free agent. If they don't want to live/work in a particular place, don't sign the contract. If you want the millions of dollars you just signed for, then shut up and play. You get paid more than most people get to see in a lifetime.

As for the teams trading them, guess what? Thats life. I have a contract with my employer. They tell me when I have to work and when I have to be there and for how long. I don't get to pout and say that doesn't work for me. If it doesn't work for me, I quit and I don't get paid. I hated where I got my training, but I didn't have a choice in it. It was my opportunity. If I didn't want it, it was my choice, but I'd have to chose a different field.

Players living in a magical ing bubble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Enforce stricter tampering rules but as a conccesion

Rooke contract should be limited to 3 years and no RFA.

I support the idea of giving younger dudes the choice of where they want to play. Its their life.
    No draft, no RFA, no limit on contract term, just a hard cap and a mandate that teams must have a certain number of players on the roster (15).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Besides, vegan hipsters don't buy tickets to games, or watch them on TV. That's why Austin has all minor league teams.
    I think it has more to do with Austin being completely burnt orange.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it has more to do with Austin being completely burnt orange.
    Right. Their ONLY professional team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right. Their ONLY professional team.
    Hey! In 2021 we’ll have pro soccer.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Speaking of tampering

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of tampering

welcome to 2 weeks ago....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And even those struggle to put butts in seats.

Austin is UT-country, and that mostly driven from the existing student and alumni population, and UT Football's not-so-recent success.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/07/nba...tent=home-hero

So Adam Silver, if you have a brain, and a soul, and a back bone, ignore guys like Charles Curtis, and run this league like a man with integrity...not a spineless little yes man.
    ...except, in the last 30 years, we had only 10 different winners, and 4 of them won only once.

The league has been for a very longtime a 2-tier league. With modest shifting of teams from one tier to the other.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’ve seen small market owners fight back against this before in prior CBAs. They know it’s a rigged game as it stands. Sadly, nothing substantial to address this can be done until another CBA negotiation takes place. But small market owners will be out for blood when that negation comes. As they should. And money talks. The league needs these teams to be relevant. Take solace in the irony that even though the free agency blatantly works in favor of large market teams, they still can’t win a ing thing.

I would still rather be a Spurs fan. I’m a High School Teacher. I like the teaching and team-building culture of the Spurs. They have an intelligent approach to their organization as a whole. If players show up and want to learn how to improve their skills, we have systems in place with good teachers to help them grow. Lakers and Knicks don’t have that. They can land a star here or there, but the foundation upon which they’ve branded themselves is hallow and fragile. They are boom and bust. On a long enough timeline, we will be more consistently good. If you already know that you are at a systemic disadvantage when it comes to free agency, then your best bet to be successful is exactly the approach we are taking. And when the CBA arrives, fight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the better rants I've read in awhile, Ed Helicopter Jones

This offseason took collusion to a new level. We've never seen big signings become all but official days before the free agency period was supposed to even start. I mean, for example, Kemba was somehow a lock for the Celtics long before they were legally allowed to talk to him. How does something like that happen without Silver even pretending to do anything about it?

And you're right, big picture-wise, the current policy helps at most a quarter of the teams. The rest of the league is fighting an embarrassingly unfair fight. And it's trending the wrong way.

Does Silver care? Doesn't look like it.

Hopefully the Holt kids will stand up and fight for small market teams like their dad did, tbh.
    I think we are looking at the problem from the wrong angle. Market forces are almost invincible, as is human greed. The key is to have basketball played as it should.

But if the rules of the game are favoring scoring by ''stars'' that can't even be caressed, then we have a videogame -today's NBA.
    A league where stars -as male human beings- tend to go where money, fame, pussy, peers and business opportunities are: you can't change that.

Let's have rules that rewards playing well-organized basketball. One consequence will be more parity, more opportunities for well run small market teams. To me it all starts with the rules of the game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No draft, no RFA, no limit on contract term, just a hard cap and a mandate that teams must have a certain number of players on the roster (15).
    It could work but:
    - you can't develop anything, it would be a revolving doors festival
    - salary cap is already now cir vented with side agreements. Like when Dirk stayed in DAL for chump change and everybody knew Cuban promised him other deals out of the NBA. Not to mention Uncle's requests to teams. Salary Cap is like the amateur status in the NCAA: every half decent player is paid anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we are looking at the problem from the wrong angle. Market forces are almost invincible, as is human greed. The key is to have basketball played as it should.

But if the rules of the game are favoring scoring by ''stars'' that can't even be caressed, then we have a videogame -today's NBA.
    A league where stars -as male human beings- tend to go where money, fame, pussy, peers and business opportunities are: you can't change that.

Let's have rules that rewards playing well-organized basketball. One consequence will be more parity, more opportunities for well run small market teams. To me it all starts with the rules of the game.
    Small correction: Rules of the Sport.

Thread Information