Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It could work but:
    - you can't develop anything, it would be a revolving doors festival
    - salary cap is already now cir vented with side agreements. Like when Dirk stayed in DAL for chump change and everybody knew Cuban promised him other deals out of the NBA. Not to mention Uncle's requests to teams. Salary Cap is like the amateur status in the NCAA: every half decent player is paid anyway.
    Conceded - the myriad of ways that under-the-table deals can be made/structured makes them virtually impossible to police in any system. But maybe they could be somewhat limited with a hard, reasonably restrictive cap. Perhaps not as many owners would be willing to extend such deals repeatedly to multiple players at a time to be able to sign three superstars on a regular basis.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve yet to read or hear of any worthwhile solutions. The only idea I personally have is a limit on types of contracts a team can hold. IE a franchise can only carry 2 max slot contracts and 1 sub max contracts with a predetermined dollar range attached to these tiers. Then Followed by 2 mid valued contracts etc. This will have teams strongly considering who gets what level of pay and makes it a lot harder to force trades.

So a franchise would have something like this...

2 max
    1 contracts between 18-24m
    2 contracts between 12-16m
    4 7-12m

Etc.

Not really saying those exact dollar amounts but something structured around that concept.

But I’m the wrong guy to solve this problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...except, in the last 30 years, we had only 10 different winners, and 4 of them won only once.

The league has been for a very longtime a 2-tier league. With modest shifting of teams from one tier to the other.
    More like a 3-tier league. There are usually 2-3 legit contenders, another +/- 18 teams that are fighting for a playoff spot, and the remainder are fodder. Very little movement between the top two tiers and a little more between the fodder and the lower playoff contenders.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AIDS patient Silver won’t do about it but people will still call him a good commissioner because he appeals to SJWs and the “players can’t be owned” bull . Meanwhile, the nba is at an all time low in quality and has basically become scripted like the WWE. Just look at all the childish narratives that ESPN constantly pushes. But it’s okay dumb little kids/casual bandwagon fans with short attention spans will eat that up and make the nba money, that’s all that matters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too many teams tbh. We could get rid of 10 teams and the league would be better for it. Why do franchises like the Suns even exist?

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too many teams tbh. We could get rid of 10 teams and the league would be better for it. Why do franchises like the Suns even exist?

For the same reason the Washington Generals exist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The answer is to restore the sport and level the playing field - not capitulate and contract. There is plenty of talent to fill current rosters if it isn’t so concentrated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    do what dallas is doing, fielding a all europe team

then the local ballers will complain about employment

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve yet to read or hear of any worthwhile solutions. The only idea I personally have is a limit on types of contracts a team can hold. IE a franchise can only carry 2 max slot contracts and 1 sub max contracts with a predetermined dollar range attached to these tiers. Then Followed by 2 mid valued contracts etc. This will have teams strongly considering who gets what level of pay and makes it a lot harder to force trades.

So a franchise would have something like this...

2 max
    1 contracts between 18-24m
    2 contracts between 12-16m
    4 7-12m

Etc.

Not really saying those exact dollar amounts but something structured around that concept.

But I’m the wrong guy to solve this problem.

I think this is generally the move, but I’d go with one max contract per team worth a lot more than the next tier, and a similarly large gap between tier two and the rest.

If the single max contract was, say, $50M/yr, and then teams got up to 4 tier 2 contracts which are $18-$25M, then the rest can be as many as they want under soft cap rules with a ceiling of $15M. Suddenly players egos and wanting to get that top tier deal would at least put a lot of pressure on distribution of the best 30 players. You could also put in something clever around the total value of the max and tier 2 contracts totaling no more than X (maybe $100M?) is a team that doesn’t get a Lebron for $50M could get an extra tier 2 contract.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    It's not really the league's fault that Fat Antonio is a complete hole and that young millionaires with unlimited resources, will obviously choose to live in cities that can offer better quality of life. That's just logic and common sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not really the league's fault that Fat Antonio is a complete hole and that young millionaires with unlimited resources, will obviously choose to live in cities that can offer better quality of life. That's just logic and common sense.
    LOLLAKERS. Jim and Jeannie born on third base, and think they hit a triple. What a sad POS franchise you follow.

The NBA needs to adopt relegation, and get some of these POS franchises to the minors where they belong.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this is generally the move, but I’d go with one max contract per team worth a lot more than the next tier, and a similarly large gap between tier two and the rest.

If the single max contract was, say, $50M/yr, and then teams got up to 4 tier 2 contracts which are $18-$25M, then the rest can be as many as they want under soft cap rules with a ceiling of $15M. Suddenly players egos and wanting to get that top tier deal would at least put a lot of pressure on distribution of the best 30 players. You could also put in something clever around the total value of the max and tier 2 contracts totaling no more than X (maybe $100M?) is a team that doesn’t get a Lebron for $50M could get an extra tier 2 contract.
    I like those ideas. Definitely a lot of good ways to work this. But I don’t see the players union warming to the idea of limiting the number of available max contracts within the league. If anything they want more not less.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Besides, vegan hipsters don't buy tickets to games, or watch them on TV. That's why Austin has all minor league teams.
    Austin has F1 too. Way cooler than a pro team.

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    We already had him on the team, and paid him to go away.
    Nope

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easily one of the cities in the top half of the league's markets during the wintertime.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AIDS patient Silver
    lolololololol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Once again, what passes for sports "journalism" now is beyond pathetic. I don't know who Rohan Nadkarni is, but it figures SI would hire him:

"The repeater tax always bothered me, because teams who are good and willing to pay to keep those players together shouldn’t be penalized for that."

Great thinking, Rohan. They'll wind up with a league with only five or six teams. I'm sure the networks will pay a fortune for that.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Once again, what passes for sports "journalism" now is beyond pathetic. I don't know who Rohan Nadkarni is, but it figures SI would hire him:

"The repeater tax always bothered me, because teams who are good and willing to pay to keep those players together shouldn’t be penalized for that."

Great thinking, Rohan. They'll wind up with a league with only five or six teams. I'm sure the networks will pay a fortune for that.
    most nba franchises r richer than premier soccer league teams & each club even the small ones somehow survive while spending massive amounts of money with no salary cap nba teams could do the same without folding

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    most nba franchises r richer than premier soccer league teams & each club even the small ones somehow survive while spending massive amounts of money with no salary cap nba teams could do the same without folding
    There are about 3-4 relevant teams in the Premier league. All the rest of them are just schedule dates. That's what we're trying to avoid having the NBA become.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's on Silver.

bag is letting it happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get what your saying, but you can argue that it was worse during the days of the Celtics, Lakers, and Bulls. The exception was the Pistons who beat people by fouling every play. Would love to see someone try to force the league's hand by playing that way today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the near future small market teams will be nothing more than talent pools for big market teams once a player polishes his game he will than leave the small market for a bigger market and team up with other talented plays forming a “super team” making it to where there will only be 6 relevant teams in the league.
    We will see, superstar ego is a delicate thing. There can be some epic divorces.

Spurs are Lottery Bound. SequSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good post Ed.

Pop should've been fired. Why you may ask?

The fans have abandoned him totally. I don't think anyone gives a rats ass about him personally. He may have a semi compe ive team but they are boring af. I have had season tickets since 1995 and I cancelled my this year. Why? Spurs games just totally suck. The atmosphere sucks, the location sucks, the parking sucks. Outside of just being a Spurs fan, the whole experience sucks. They need a change, some excitement. The two salary hoggers on the current team are overrated cry babies. lmk

Thread Information