Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    most nba franchises r richer than premier soccer league teams & each club even the small ones somehow survive while spending massive amounts of money with no salary cap nba teams could do the same without folding

You really have absolutely no clue about NBA economics, do you? Percentage of BRI, fixed costs, variable costs... none of that really reaches you. Just spend like crazy, buy the best team, and it will all work out.

But since you brought up Premier League... how many teams have won their championship since 1992? I saw an article about it just the other day. They said 6 total, and one of them is like Toronto - they only won 1 championship ever, and probably won't ever again. Three teams have won almost as many championships as all the others put together. So they have 4-5 teams (at most) who can even think about competing every year - most years only 2 or 3. So, yeah, anything the NBA can do to be more like Premier League sounds perfect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You really have absolutely no clue about NBA economics, do you? Percentage of BRI, fixed costs, variable costs... none of that really reaches you. Just spend like crazy, buy the best team, and it will all work out.

But since you brought up Premier League... how many teams have won their championship since 1992? I saw an article about it just the other day. They said 6 total, and one of them is like Toronto - they only won 1 championship ever, and probably won't ever again. Three teams have won almost as many championships as all the others put together. So they have 4-5 teams (at most) who can even think about competing every year - most years only 2 or 3. So, yeah, anything the NBA can do to be more like Premier League sounds perfect.
    Soccer feels different as an experience. I doubt it was as ugly to watch as this short GSW dominance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got to penalize players who demand a trade. It is the only way to help the situation.

Player demands a trade with 2 years left on a contract, hit them with a penalty on their current contract if they refuse to stay with the team they signed the contract with. A 20% reduction in salary would help to fix it, but there is no way the union would go for that, especially with Chris Paul leading it.

The problem other than players talking to other players to encourage them to come to a team is that the media can collude for a franchise...pretty much impossible to stop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have no issues with players wanting to leave a team. If a player wants out early, just say so, but give up the money and sit it out until it expires. If not, check your ego and play to win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Got to penalize players who demand a trade. It is the only way to help the situation.

Player demands a trade with 2 years left on a contract, hit them with a penalty on their current contract if they refuse to stay with the team they signed the contract with. A 20% reduction in salary would help to fix it, but there is no way the union would go for that, especially with Chris Paul leading it.

The problem other than players talking to other players to encourage them to come to a team is that the media can collude for a franchise...pretty much impossible to stop.
    Let role players demand trade. I don't wanna play with a complete asshole when i can play with a better person.

Let's not make it into a high class prison.

I have no issues with players wanting to leave a team. If a player wants out early, just say so, but give up the money and sit it out until it expires. If not, check your ego and play to win.
    Every player on the roster?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't think that a scrub or mid-level player has the same leverage. Not a lot of players can sit out their contract and not get paid.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't think that a scrub or mid-level player has the same leverage. Not a lot of players can sit out their contract and not get paid.
    Nope, but league and championships revolve around these players created problems.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you turn it into high class prison you can have multiple good role players just sitting on the sidelines...

Who the wants to deal with young Boogie Cousins when you could play on the Spurs?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the specific case of the Spurs, they partially have the media and themselves to blame for their current state. No one is responsible for s bag's actions (though the sleazebag obviously didn't help), but their blindness/ignorance to his apparent desires and those of seemingly every American superstar in this era, are a different story.

They should have had the foresight to curtail this "culture", "system", Pop obsession nonsense from the media that got out of hand post '14 championship. They should have realized that a highly successful environment whereby the players either receive backhanded compliments or muted praise, would not be appealing to the players that matters most and neither would stocking the roster with players who don't look or sound like them.

Instead of shutting that down, they unwittingly continue to lend credence to it. Take the genius shutting down the question about White in front of the national media yesterday. He should have realized that he has virtually no national profile right now and been hyping him up. Instead, his shtick took precedence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the specific case of the Spurs, they partially have the media and themselves to blame for their current state. No one is responsible for s bag's actions (though the sleazebag obviously didn't help), but their blindness/ignorance to his apparent desires and those of seemingly every American superstar in this era, are a different story.

They should have had the foresight to curtail this "culture", "system", Pop obsession nonsense from the media that got out of hand post '14 championship. They should have realized that a highly successful environment whereby the players either receive backhanded compliments or muted praise, would not be appealing to the players that matters most and neither would stocking the roster with players who don't look or sound like them.

Instead of shutting that down, they unwittingly continue to lend credence to it. Take the genius shutting down the question about White in front of the national media yesterday. He should have realized that he has virtually no national profile right now and been hyping him up. Instead, his shtick took precedence.
    You need to find another team. You obviously don't understand this one at all. Sacto has some getto players with tats, and they lack 'culture' altogether. That should make you happy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You need to find another team. You obviously don't understand this one at all. Sacto has some getto players with tats, and they lack 'culture' altogether. That should make you happy.
    In an ideal world, I'd like to see the ethos of the Duncan era remain intact . . . but I'd rather they give themselves the best possible chance to be successful and that entails swallowing their pride and adapting. It's either that or stay a treadmill franchise that the best players don't want anything to do with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, a small market can be an advantage. It weeds out the lazy high-salary quick fix guys who plague some bigger market teams. Big name guys who like "the life" and have priorites other than winning.

You don't have to placate your fanbase when you dont sign a Carmelo Anthony (in his prime) type player -- they know you couldn't.

It's like Gladwell's version of why the Jewish law firms came to dominate the lucrative upscale (now) mergers and acquisitions business -- they got good at it when no one else wanted to do it.

Limitations can be an advantage if you're smart. After all, who wants to be the Knicks?
    Last edited by Russ; 08-07-2019 at 07:26 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What kind of superficial mother er cares about teammates looking and sounding like them?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What kind of superficial mother er cares about teammates looking and sounding like them?
    You'd like to think that, but you'd be naïve to think it doesn't matter in many cases . . . unless you believe that his closest things to friends here supposedly being Green, Simmons, Dedmon, was a coincidence.

I'm not saying that was the primary reason he wanted out, but I don't think it helped.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You'd like to think that, but you'd be naïve to think it doesn't matter in many cases . . . unless you believe that his closest things to friends here supposedly being Green, Simmons, Dedmon, was a coincidence.

I'm not saying that was the primary reason he wanted out, but I don't think it helped.
    He’s a superficial . They don’t call it show friends, they call it showBUSINESS. You have the off-season to hang with your bros, and frankly, the rest of your life after sometime in your 30s. Stop enabling this trash. Toronto did EVERYTHING he wanted, and he still walked.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s a superficial . They don’t call it show friends, they call it showBUSINESS. You have the off-season to hang with your bros, and frankly, the rest of your life after sometime in your 30s. Stop enabling this trash. Toronto did EVERYTHING he wanted, and he still walked.
    You're missing the point. The way the puke handled it was unique obviously, but his actual aspirations and desires were not.

Non glamour markets that luck into superstars in the draft need to create an environment to placate these divas in order to give themselves the best chance of retaining them through their prime . . . or they can continue to turn a blind eye to the current reality, act holier than thou and get stuck with pseudo stars that give them a low ceiling, instead of the genuine article.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

100%

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Green sounded so articulate he was the press ambassador, Dedmon came from a Jesus loving background from a smaller sect, Simmons came from the hood. They are very different man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're missing the point. The way the puke handled it was unique obviously, but his actual aspirations and desires were not.

Non glamour markets that luck into superstars in the draft need to create an environment to placate these divas in order to give themselves the best chance of retaining them through their prime . . . or they can continue to turn a blind eye to the current reality, act holier than thou and get stuck with pseudo stars that give them a low ceiling, instead of the genuine article.
    No, you’re missing the point. Toronto did ALL of that, and he still walked. He’s a selfish . It didn’t matter what they did, OR WHAT THE SPURS DID. He was going to LA , period.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Green sounded so articulate he was the press ambassador, Dedmon came from a Jesus loving background from a smaller sect, Simmons came from the hood. They are very different man.
    And yet they're all in his age group and two have the same complexion, but I'm sure it's just coincidence that they gravitated to one another.

No, you’re missing the point. Toronto did ALL of that, and he still walked. He’s a selfish . It didn’t matter what they did, OR WHAT THE SPURS DID. He was going to LA , period.
    You're too focused on him. I'm talking in general. The Spurs don't appeal to the players that matter most and they're not helping themselves. They can either continue to dig the hole deeper or become introspective . . . and dare I say, get over themselves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And yet they're all in his age group and two have the same complexion, but I'm sure it's just coincidence that they gravitated to one another.

You're too focused on him. I'm talking in general. The Spurs don't appeal to the players that matter most and they're not helping themselves. They can either continue to dig the hole deeper or become introspective . . . and dare I say, get over themselves.
    You don't understand what has led to the Spurs success, over the decades. They NEVER have the talent that the big markets have, top to bottom, and never will. Since that has always been the case, they have to have cohesion and teamwork to levels not seen often in the NBA. This team, with one young emerging player and 3 over the hill 30-somethings, took out a team with 3 All NBA players in 2014. That never happens if you have some prima donna calling the shots in the locker room.

The reality is, always has been, and always will be that only maybe 25% of NBA players could play for Pop. The Spurs really had no business even making the playoffs the last two years, but because they are a team, and not a collection of individuals, they did. Role players feel like they have a place on the team, and will get the ball, even in clutch time. That makes the team better. The Spurs always outplay their talent level. That's why the pundits always predict wrong.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't understand what has led to the Spurs success, over the decades. They NEVER have the talent that the big markets have, top to bottom, and never will. Since that has always been the case, they have to have cohesion and teamwork to levels not seen often in the NBA. This team, with one young emerging player and 3 over the hill 30-somethings, took out a team with 3 All NBA players in 2014. That never happens if you have some prima donna calling the shots in the locker room.

The reality is, always has been, and always will be that only maybe 25% of NBA players could play for Pop. The Spurs really had no business even making the playoffs the last two years, but because they are a team, and not a collection of individuals, they did. Role players feel like they have a place on the team, and will get the ball, even in clutch time. That makes the team better. The Spurs always outplay their talent level. That's why the pundits always predict wrong.
    No, of course I don't because I'm not some old apologist/homer.

Wrong. They had as much talent as anyone at the height of the biggest 3, which is why they arguably came 2 plays away from 5 straight championships. They also had unparalleled depth of talent and basketball IQ earlier this decade and though 2 of the biggest 3 were past their prime, they were still All-NBA caliber players.

You sound like a non Spurs fan, with this "cohesion" and "teamwork" nonsense. This was an ISO team in Duncan's halcyon days and they returned to their roots in the latter half of the decade.

It's a players league and a mostly genized one in terms of style of play at this point. Coaching is largely irrelevant and prioritizing a 70 year old one over 75% of players (and 100% of those who matter most) is beyond insane/stupid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Missed Pop addressing the media about White. What happened?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, of course I don't because I'm not some old apologist/homer.

Wrong. They had as much talent as anyone at the height of the biggest 3, which is why they arguably came 2 plays away from 5 straight championships. They also had unparalleled depth of talent and basketball IQ earlier this decade and though 2 of the biggest 3 were past their prime, they were still All-NBA caliber players.

You sound like a non Spurs fan, with this "cohesion" and "teamwork" nonsense. This was an ISO team in Duncan's halcyon days and they returned to their roots in the latter half of the decade.

It's a players league and a mostly genized one in terms of style of play at this point. Coaching is largely irrelevant and prioritizing a 70 year old one over 75% of players (and 100% of those who matter most) is beyond insane/stupid.
    irrelevant my ass, the only coach that was not on the same level as the best player who won a championship was Tyronn Lue and he came out from the weak East.

So basically Kawhi had 2 close friends who were the same type of dark chocolate...

This would be news...

On planet Pluto where blue players dominate the game...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Missed Pop addressing the media about White. What happened?
    He basically brushed it off and said he was focused on team U.S.A. He did give a local reporter an answer about him in a brief one-on-one later though.

irrelevant my ass, the only coach that was not on the same level as the best player who won a championship was Tyronn Lue and he came out from the weak East.

So basically Kawhi had 2 close friends who were the same type of dark chocolate...

This would be news...

On planet Pluto where blue players dominate the game...
    What was wrong with Lue; not white enough? Nurse is a perfect example. You probably didn't even know who he was a year ago. Now he's a "champion" because he got gifted a near ideal modern roster out of unprecedented luck, then caught massive injury breaks in the Finals.

You're also too focused on S bag and this specific issue. I'm talking in general, they need to create an environment that appeals to the groupthink divas that are running the league. Not because they might get one in free agency, but because if/when they luck into the next one via the draft (which there's a non zero chance might already be on the roster), it'll give them the best possible chance to retain them.

Thread Information