Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He basically brushed it off and said he was focused on team U.S.A. He did give a local reporter an answer about him in a brief one-on-one later though.

What was wrong with Lue; not white enough? Nurse is a perfect example. You probably didn't even know who he was a year ago. Now he's a "champion" because he got gifted a near ideal modern roster out of unprecedented luck, then caught massive injury breaks in the Finals.

You're also too focused on S bag and this specific issue. I'm talking in general, they need to create an environment that appeals to the groupthink divas that are running the league. Not because they might get one in free agency, but because if/when they luck into the next one via the draft (which there's a non zero chance might already be on the roster), it'll give them the best possible chance to retain them.
    If they're a "groupthink diva", there's no chance to retain them anyway.

Instead of changing everything they are, the Spurs need to be more aware of who they have, and what they might do, in terms of NBA mobility. If they had been, we'd have Jason Tatum and Jaylen Brown on our roster right now. Be more ready to cut bait when you find out the player(s) aren't on board, and get better assets for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't understand what has led to the Spurs success, over the decades. They NEVER have the talent that the big markets have, top to bottom, and never will. Since that has always been the case, they have to have cohesion and teamwork to levels not seen often in the NBA. This team, with one young emerging player and 3 over the hill 30-somethings, took out a team with 3 All NBA players in 2014. That never happens if you have some prima donna calling the shots in the locker room.

The reality is, always has been, and always will be that only maybe 25% of NBA players could play for Pop. The Spurs really had no business even making the playoffs the last two years, but because they are a team, and not a collection of individuals, they did. Role players feel like they have a place on the team, and will get the ball, even in clutch time. That makes the team better. The Spurs always outplay their talent level. That's why the pundits always predict wrong.
    Duncan + Manu + Parker is more talent than any team had in the period

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What was wrong with Lue; not white enough? Nurse is a perfect example. You probably didn't even know who he was a year ago. Now he's a "champion" because he got gifted a near ideal modern roster out of unprecedented luck, then caught massive injury breaks in the Finals.

You're also too focused on S bag and this specific issue. I'm talking in general, they need to create an environment that appeals to the groupthink divas that are running the league. Not because they might get one in free agency, but because if/when they luck into the next one via the draft (which there's a non zero chance might already be on the roster), it'll give them the best possible chance to retain them.
    Not man enough... Unlike Doc Rivers.

Nurse had plenty of issues...

Game 7 VS Sixers was a rock fight with Raptors players minus Kawhi looking timid and underperforming.

Are they running the league? A lot of diva teams can crash and burn and not win much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You need to find another team. You obviously don't understand this one at all. Sacto has some getto players with tats, and they lack 'culture' altogether. That should make you happy.
    TD 21's relationship with the spurs is like that of the dude that hates and loves his ex-wife at the same time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Instead of changing everything they are, the Spurs need to be more aware of who they have, and what they might do, in terms of NBA mobility. If they had been, we'd have Jason Tatum and Jaylen Brown on our roster right now. Be more ready to cut bait when you find out the player(s) aren't on board, and get better assets for them.
    Exactly, Pop and R.C. weren't proactive enough and (stupidly) thought they could get Nephew to buy in (again). Had they cut ties sooner and quicker the haul could have been much, much more appealing.

Changing a winning culture (even if it is on a "down" slide) just to appease stars is a recipe for disaster. Cleveland (and Toronto) did everything to keep their superstar happy, but in the end they bailed for the bright lights in L.A.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think Kawhi's lack of loyalty did shock them somewhat and they didn't respond in as calculated of a manner as the team is famous for. It's rare for a player to not buy-in to the culture once here, but you're right, the Spurs need to be more responsive when a player pulls a "Kawhi". A painful learning experience.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Tatum seemed pretty untouchable at the time due to him having that monster rookie season. I remember the offer being Jaylen Brown and a pick or two. Brown's a nobody, he's another overhyped Ingram though at least not a china doll like Ingram.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Kawhi's lack of loyalty did shock them somewhat and they didn't respond in as calculated of a manner as the team is famous for. It's rare for a player to not buy-in to the culture once here, but you're right, the Spurs need to be more responsive when a player pulls a "Kawhi". A painful learning experience.
    Exactly. It was beyond their experience at the time, but they're now probably more aware of what is going on in the locker room.

Oh, and I don't think THIS is a coincidence, either. The last 3 American Spurs first rounders:

Derrick: small town in Colorado
    Lonnie: small town in Pennsylvania
    Keldon: small town in Virginia

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tatum seemed pretty untouchable at the time due to him having that monster rookie season. I remember the offer being Jaylen Brown and a pick or two. Brown's a nobody, he's another overhyped Ingram though at least not a china doll like Ingram.
    brown reminds me of j simms, for some reason. glad we didn't wind up with him.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TD 21's relationship with the spurs is like that of the dude that hates and loves his ex-wife at the same time.
    and still posts on her blog.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, of course I don't because I'm not some old apologist/homer.

Wrong. They had as much talent as anyone at the height of the biggest 3, which is why they arguably came 2 plays away from 5 straight championships. They also had unparalleled depth of talent and basketball IQ earlier this decade and though 2 of the biggest 3 were past their prime, they were still All-NBA caliber players.

You sound like a non Spurs fan, with this "cohesion" and "teamwork" nonsense. This was an ISO team in Duncan's halcyon days and they returned to their roots in the latter half of the decade.

It's a players league and a mostly genized one in terms of style of play at this point. Coaching is largely irrelevant and prioritizing a 70 year old one over 75% of players (and 100% of those who matter most) is beyond insane/stupid.
    You should go root for the Suns, man. They have a good, young individual talent (who's asses they should be kissing if we go with your nonsense), don't value continuity, coaching or culture.

It sounds like exactly what you babble on about. Also, that 70 year old man has accomplished more in the NBA realm than most could ever dream of. Of course, they'll hitched their wagon to the man that orchestrated all of the championship seasons/teams. He deserves that respect especially when someone of his isn't likely to come around again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and still posts on her blog.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what of the recent "News out of the Knicks" that the Morris business was justified because of the spurs being in talks with Prozingus during the time the knicks had him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The lack of reading comprehension is astonishing. For the umpteenth time, in an ideal world I'd like to see the Spurs way continue . . . but I'd rather have the best possible chance to win another championship and the reality is, it just doesn't appeal to the players who matter most. They can either bury their heads in the sand and pretend it's not the case or change with the times.

Not man enough... Unlike Doc Rivers.

Nurse had plenty of issues...

Game 7 VS Sixers was a rock fight with Raptors players minus Kawhi looking timid and underperforming.

Are they running the league? A lot of diva teams can crash and burn and not win much.
    So because Lue has a babyface, he's "not man enough" and therefore not at the level of the superstar he coached to a championship (as if any coach is)?

They are running the league because they determine the balance of power in it.

You should go root for the Suns, man. They have a good, young individual talent (who's asses they should be kissing if we go with your nonsense), don't value continuity, coaching or culture.

It sounds like exactly what you babble on about. Also, that 70 year old man has accomplished more in the NBA realm than most could ever dream of. Of course, they'll hitched their wagon to the man that orchestrated all of the championship seasons/teams. He deserves that respect especially when someone of his isn't likely to come around again.
    We all know his resume (he can thank the all-time player and core for it) . . . too bad it has nothing to do with what I said, which was that his ego/pride shouldn't supersede what appeals to 75% (according to exstatic) of players. No coach should, let alone one near the end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The lack of reading comprehension is astonishing. For the umpteenth time, in an ideal world I'd like to see the Spurs way continue . . . but I'd rather have the best possible chance to win another championship and the reality is, it just doesn't appeal to the players who matter most. They can either bury their heads in the sand and pretend it's not the case or change with the times.

So because Lue has a babyface, he's "not man enough" and therefore not at the level of the superstar he coached to a championship (as if any coach is)?

We all know his resume (he can thank the all-time player and core for it) . . . too bad it has nothing to do with what I said, which was that his ego/pride shouldn't supersede what appeals to 75% (according to exstatic) of players. No coach should, let alone one near the end.
    What "appeals" to NBA athletes is location, weather, money, media exposure and winning (for some). The Spurs can't provide all those things and should remain resistant to bending over backwards to appease prime donnas. Oklahoma City was a perfect example of one player hijacking the on - court product (to keep him appeased, content and engaged) - and that isn't to speak of what the did behind close doors to keep Russ happy - yet they were a "treadmill" team just like the Spurs and now are lottery bound....

I know it is hard for you to get this (for the 100 time), but Leonard was leaving town regardless of the Spurs perceived "in action" towards cuddling him. He wasn't a Spurs type of guy in the long run and hopefully they be able to figure that out sooner next time. Instead sitting on their hands which everyone can agree was a mistake.

Also, I great coach need elite talent to win. Not sure why you continue to spout that false narrative that Pop "takes all the credit." It is the media that push that culture rhetoric, but Pop always deflects (like when he hired Timmy a few weeks ago) and gives Duncan all the credit (as he should).
    Last edited by J_Paco; 08-15-2019 at 12:03 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What "appeals" to NBA athletes is location, weather, money, media exposure and winning (for some). The Spurs can't provide all those things and should remain resistant to bending over backwards to appease prime donnas. Oklahoma City was a perfect example of one player hijacking the on - court product (to keep him appeased, content and engaged) - and that isn't to speak of what the did behind close doors to keep Russ happy - yet they were a "treadmill" team just like the Spurs and now are lottery bound....

I know it is hard for you to get this (for the 100 time), but Leonard was leaving town regardless of the Spurs perceived "in action" towards cuddling him. He wasn't a Spurs type of guy in the long run and hopefully they be able to figure that out sooner next time. Instead sitting on their hands which everyone can agree was a mistake.

Also, I great coach need elite talent to win. Not sure why you continue to spout that false narrative that Pop "takes all the credit." It is the media that push that culture rhetoric, but Pop always deflects (like when he hired Timmy a few weeks ago) and gives Duncan all the credit (as he should).
    This is the Spurs, the friont office will find a stud or someone who will look like a stud on this team.

Our team almost beat Denver in a game 7, they fought Portaland hard, Portland got beaten more easily by GSW because Lillard's ribs were ed up.

Our team is doing fine thanks you very much.

You know the Cavs had a solid winning recoerd minus for beating the good teams when he was hired...,

The same problem the Spurs had the last season when they won the chip.

Did Kobe bump Phil like Lebron did it to Spo? Was LeBron able to replace Spo? You think Carslile was pushed around by players on the Mavs?

Wait and see with the they run the league stuff...

Like wait till they got five les out of player run teams.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not surprising TD 21 wants the Spurs to bend over for players since he himself has that made crybaby personality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By hitching their wagon to LMA and Dumbmar the Spurs are showing that they are adjusting to the diva-dominated NBA. Neither of those players is consistent with the Spurs’ ethos of the last +/- 20 years. If the Spurs are/we’re gonna compromise their culture, those 2 were the wrong guys to make those compromises for.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What "appeals" to NBA athletes is location, weather, money, media exposure and winning (for some)

I know it is hard for you to get this (for the 100 time), but Leonard was leaving town regardless of the Spurs perceived "in action" towards cuddling him.

Also, I great coach need elite talent to win. Not sure why you continue to spout that false narrative that Pop "takes all the credit."

Exactly and the Spurs are already behind the 8 ball thanks to things out of their control, which is why they can't afford to exacerbate matters with things they can.

Again, this isn't about S bag's actions, but about the aspirations of American superstars and stars in this era.

The difference is, it's often portrayed as the others who coached all timers practically needing to apologize, while the genius is (incorrectly) perceived as having had far less to work with. He could have set the media straight long ago.

This is the Spurs, the friont office will find a stud or someone who will look like a stud on this team.

Our team is doing fine thanks you very much.

Wait and see with the they run the league stuff...

Like wait till they got five les out of player run teams.

Like it's just that easy to find all timers. Just because this organization lucked into ones for the better part of 30 years, there's franchises that went 40 years between them.

Our team is poorly constructed thanks to the dumbest trade in modern sports history. Our team has won 10% more games than any other in the past decade, yet has one championship to show for it (and it could have been 0 had Ibaka not missed the first two games of the WCF), in addition to losing numerous favored or coin flip series. If anyone else had those things on their record, they wouldn't be getting praised to no end by the ignorant media and brainwashed fans.

There's nothing to wait and see on. The brats always get their way in the end.

Not surprising TD 21 wants the Spurs to bend over for players since he himself has that made crybaby personality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Exactly and the Spurs are already behind the 8 ball thanks to things out of their control, which is why they can't afford to exacerbate matters with things they can.

Again, this isn't about S bag's actions, but about the aspirations of American superstars and stars in this era.

The difference is, it's often portrayed as the others who coached all timers practically needing to apologize, while the genius is (incorrectly) perceived as having had far less to work with. He could have set the media straight long ago.

Like it's just that easy to find all timers. Just because this organization lucked into ones for the better part of 30 years, there's franchises that went 40 years between them.

Our team is poorly constructed thanks to the dumbest trade in modern sports history. Our team has won 10% more games than any other in the past decade, yet has one championship to show for it (and it could have been 0 had Ibaka not missed the first two games of the WCF), in addition to losing numerous favored or coin flip series. If anyone else had those things on their record, they wouldn't be getting praised to no end by the ignorant media and brainwashed fans.

There's nothing to wait and see on. The brats always get their way in the end.

Only loudmouthed Stephen A and Cowherd idiots would have a problem with the Spurs record this decade.

It would had been 2... you know...

Thread Information