Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    HBO recently came out with three 2 part true crime docs. I've seen 2 so far and will probably catch the last one tonight.
    I like they didn't pick one case and try to drag it out for 6 episodes like Netflix often does.

Who Killed Garret Phillips?
    10 year old boy strangled. Police quickly decide who did it without any real physical evidence.
    This could have been easily presented as a one-sided view but the director did a great job of telling both sides of the story.
    Very well done. 7/10

I Love You Now Kill Yourself
    17 year old girl seems to convince boyfriend to kill himself via text and phone calls.
    Very interesting from a legal standpoint about what cons utes a willing and reckless act.
    A lot of time spent showing the texts so it kind of gets a little bogged down.
    But worth checking out.
    6/10

Behind Closed Doors
    haven't seen it yet. Something about a double murder in India.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    So who killed Garret?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So who killed Garret?
    Unknown. As of the end of the doc, they reopened the case.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    damn. I'm not really into HBO docuseries but i'll have to check it out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    damn. I'm not really into HBO docuseries but i'll have to check it out.
    Oh...you're like the Garret one for sure. Did I mention that the first suspect was the former black boyfriend of the white mom?
    Or can I assume you already know that.

By the way...quit being a puss and get back in the ff league.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Colorado Buffaloes
    Oh...you're like the Garret one for sure. Did I mention that the first suspect was the former black boyfriend of the white mom?
    Or can I assume you already know that.

By the way...quit being a puss and get back in the ff league.
    I cancelled HBO after Game of Thrones went off so all this is new to me. Whenever i hear of a child being strangled I immediately go to domestic causes. boyfriend, parents, etc.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I cancelled HBO after Game of Thrones went off so all this is new to me. Whenever i hear of a child being strangled I immediately go to domestic causes. boyfriend, parents, etc.
    This one is pretty weird. By all accounts, the kid was part of the reason his mom and boyfriend split up. He (the victim) and the main suspect didn't get along at all. But it just doesn't seem like he did it. And he's interviewed consistently throughout the show. If he did do it, he would have to be a total sociopath. Which I suppose is possible. But if he didn't do it, there didn't seem to be (at least from the doc) any other legit suspects. That being said, the doc mainly focused on him being the accused.
    I may spend some time checking it out on the internets.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Saw the two other than Garret Phillips, planning to check that one out. The India one is less interesting, IMO.

I thought I Love You Now Kill Yourself was really good and thought-provoking in a way that I still haven't decided how I feel about it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

I thought I Love You Now Kill Yourself was really good and thought-provoking in a way that I still haven't decided how I feel about it.
    Exactly. After the first episode, I wanted her to go down. But then after the second episode, I wasn't sure at all. In the end, I think the 15 months was probably just punishment.
    Although I think I would have rather her had about 2-3 years in some kind of treatment facility.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Exactly. After the first episode, I wanted her to go down. But then after the second episode, I wasn't sure at all. In the end, I think the 15 months was probably just punishment.
    Although I think I would have rather her had about 2-3 years in some kind of treatment facility.
    Where I'm at right now is I think he manipulated her more than she manipulated him, so I'd have let her off completely. The spectacle and media attention was more than enough punishment.

Dude was going to kill himself regardless of whether he knew her or not. IMO

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    And that is why Netflix drags out these docs.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm waiting for one of these networks to do something about the Zebra Killers in SF back in the mid 70's

Story is so whacked and out there,I'm amazed no one has touched it yet

Maybe because it's about Black Muslims killing lots of whiteys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_murders

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I'm waiting for one of these networks to do something about the Zebra Killers in SF back in the mid 70's

Story is so whacked and out there,I'm amazed no one has touched it yet

Maybe because it's about Black Muslims killing lots of whiteys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_murders
    DreamWorks tried to make a feature with Jamie Foxx a decade ago fwiw.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This one is pretty weird. By all accounts, the kid was part of the reason his mom and boyfriend split up. He (the victim) and the main suspect didn't get along at all. But it just doesn't seem like he did it. And he's interviewed consistently throughout the show. If he did do it, he would have to be a total sociopath. Which I suppose is possible. But if he didn't do it, there didn't seem to be (at least from the doc) any other legit suspects. That being said, the doc mainly focused on him being the accused.
    I may spend some time checking it out on the internets.
    Only just finished part one of the doc but it based on everything presented thus far, he seems to have been targeted as a suspected based on virtually no evidence.

He had a sore on his foot, used to date the mom, didn't get along with a 12 year boy, and was nearby when it happened. That's not really a case unless there is DNA evidence linking him.

Also the lead detective seems to be full of ; "he's walking with a significant limp" but theirs a video showing him walking normally and briskly after the death.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Only just finished part one of the doc but it based on everything presented thus far, he seems to have been targeted as a suspected based on virtually no evidence.

He had a sore on his foot, used to date the mom, didn't get along with a 12 year boy, and was nearby when it happened. That's not really a case unless there is DNA evidence linking him.

Also the lead detective seems to be full of ; "he's walking with a significant limp" but theirs a video showing him walking normally and briskly after the death.
    Absolutely. And I don't really see how you'd get that sore from making that jump. And he seemed completely believable to me when he came in for the interview. And he had an acceptable response when he found out that they were lying to him about why he was there.

I do try to take it all with a grain of salt as the do entation might not always show everything they cops had on him. But in what was shown on the video, it seems like total bull .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Absolutely. And I don't really see how you'd get that sore from making that jump. And he seemed completely believable to me when he came in for the interview. And he had an acceptable response when he found out that they were lying to him about why he was there.

I do try to take it all with a grain of salt as the do entation might not always show everything they cops had on him. But in what was shown on the video, it seems like total bull .

Just finished the second part. Only solidifies my initial opinion tbh. That the PD and the prosecution seemed laser focused on him for reasons that don't seem to make any sense.

"He turned left instead of right!" big deal, he never said he went straight home. IIRC. They never actually placed him inside of the apartment or outside of it either despite that witness who was willing to lie and say that he saw a black man but his GF called him out for being a lying.

The ex boyfriend/cop was sketchy as , the only reason he wasn't a suspect was because he's a cop. His motive was much stronger tbh. Hillary killing a 12 year old because he didn't him is pretty far fetched. He has five kids of his own, he probably knows that sometimes kids don't like people for dumb reasons and he didn't seem to take it personally and the breakup between him and the mom seemed mutual.

The cop seemed to take his breakup with the Mom worse, even suing her, and him killing her son would be a really ed up way at getting back at her. The cop then got the PD to blame at Hillary as pay back for him "stealing her away from him" and he also seemed like he was able to get close to her again after the death.

There was no physical evidence linking him to the crime, no eye witnesses placing him at the crime and really no motive, yet it went to trial. That is insane to me.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just finished the second part. Only solidifies my initial opinion tbh. That the PD and the prosecution seemed laser focused on him for reasons that don't seem to make any sense.

"He turned left instead of right!" big deal, he never said he went straight home. IIRC. They never actually placed him inside of the apartment or outside of it either despite that witness who was willing to lie and say that he saw a black man but his GF called him out for being a lying.

The ex boyfriend/cop was sketchy as , the only reason he wasn't a suspect was because he's a cop. His motive was much stronger tbh. Hillary killing a 12 year old because he didn't him is pretty far fetched. He has five kids of his own, he probably knows that sometimes kids don't like people for dumb reasons and he didn't seem to take it personally and the breakup between him and the mom seemed mutual.

The cop seemed to take his breakup with the Mom worse, even suing her, and him killing her son would be a really ed up way at getting back at her. The cop then got the PD to blame at Hillary as pay back for him "stealing her away from him" and he also seemed like he was able to get close to her again after the death.

There was no physical evidence linking him to the crime, no eye witnesses placing him at the crime and really no motive, yet it went to trial. That is insane to me.

I thought it might have been the ex but there’s evidence supporting him not being there. He’s on camera walking his dog or something. Not sure if this is in the doc or something I read later.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I thought it might have been the ex but there’s evidence supporting him not being there. He’s on camera walking his dog or something. Not sure if this is in the doc or something I read later.
    Sounds like there is conflicting evidence about his whereabouts. He was reportedly at the building prior to Garrett's death from what I understand.

I read on Reddit that the prosecutions theory on how Hillary escaped from the building without being seen was impossible. Basically they said he jumped from a second story building then ran more than half a mile in 1-2 minutes, the world record is 3:43, to his vehicle in order to fit their timeline.

One of the towns only black guy's running a record breaking speed, in broad daylight, and nobody noticed him

Thread Information