Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You see...

Trump is similar to Ronnie Raygun after all!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah,its a conspiracy to make these tapes sound racist.

This actually confirms all the people said about Reagan for decades and you guys laughed off more than anything. Proves how completely full of ing you guys have always been

Exactly! No Reagan presidency, none of those policy achievements none of the airports or statues are named after him.

The only more convenient time for this to come out would be never. If theres a conspiracy here its Republicans and Reagan fans burying this five ing decades
    Whoa, settle down there, Boy Wonder. They were "released" to dog whistle you and the like- someone's super eager to chalk up a moral victory but can't look past the few-inch shadow from the hard on this gave you. It's a 40 year old recording of two dead Presidents saying racist and you think it's an indictment on an entire political party 40 years later. LOL.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not shocking to hear, and yeah clearly it’s awful, but at the same time I’m not loving this precedent overall. We can’t keep holding people in the past to 2019 standards. Literally everyone in the 70’s is a racist by 2019 standards. Just let the past die and move forward.
    I agree with your overall point but this recording is racist by 70's standards.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with your overall point but this recording is racist by 70's standards.
    ...but what relevance does it have today? The people who should be shamed are dead and the main thing people are taking from this is the misguided sentiment that "Republican = Racist, period." but will be disguised behind the "tear down Reagan's legacy" facade. The people taking this as a trophy moment and getting off because they get a chance to shame today's Republicans are the same people who will chastise those Red Boys for posting tweets of AOC or other dip Dems and indicting the entire party based on a few people. It's a dog-whistle blow for most and leaves room for the disingenuous to shoot down Regan's legacy (fair) while taking their shots at people who's only association is party affiliation...40 years after the comments made.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not shocking to hear, and yeah clearly it’s awful, but at the same time I’m not loving this precedent overall. We can’t keep holding people in the past to 2019 standards. Literally everyone in the 70’s is a racist by 2019 standards. Just let the past die and move forward.

+1

Why the slowdown in posting lately?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

+1

Why the slowdown in posting lately?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...but what relevance does it have today? The people who should be shamed are dead and the main thing people are taking from this is the misguided sentiment that "Republican = Racist, period." but will be disguised behind the "tear down Reagan's legacy" facade. The people taking this as a trophy moment and getting off because they get a chance to shame today's Republicans are the same people who will chastise those Red Boys for posting tweets of AOC or other dip Dems and indicting the entire party based on a few people. It's a dog-whistle blow for most and leaves room for the disingenuous to shoot down Regan's legacy (fair) while taking their shots at people who's only association is party affiliation...40 years after the comments made.
    Look, if you think people are misusing these recordings to indict all Republicans, then those people should be your concern. You seem to be making the case that information is bad if people react irrationally to it.

The relevance is that this was the leader of the free world for 8 years. Everything he ever said is important.

I M Ultimate Badass Quadzilla99's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, what a POS.

I M Ultimate Badass Quadzilla99's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, if you think people are misusing these recordings to indict all Republicans, then those people should be your concern. You seem to be making the case that information is bad if people react irrationally to it.

The relevance is that this was the leader of the free world for 8 years. Everything he ever said is important.
    The fact it was buried for 50 years is the real story here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But but but Trump...

Dumb snowflakes most presidents have been racists 10x more than Trump. Yet ya dummies pretend Trump is the first racist president

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

LOL, no need to "think" when you see it within a few posts in and see the people staining their underpants with their chalk in hand. That's how the vast majority of this forum operates and I'd wager dollars against the most worthless currency that was the MO of the OP. It's done by both sides of the aisle, but pointed out/scrutinized more when the fanatics do it in relation to anything the opposing side has done, tho with people still alive.

And I agree, everything should be important to what a President says. As is what a Senator or any American political figure as the represent the free world and only a handful of people wield more power, so they all need to be held to the highest standards.

Let's say you're not a score-boarder, that you're genuine and your words reflect your actions (FWIW, I do believe you're one of the few people who acts as they say on this board). What does this mean to you? What is the useful application of this "unearthed" knowledge considering everyone today is aware of his crimes and shady dealings? Say you do happen to want to tear down his "legacy" (absolutely understandable), what is this going to change anything when it's common knowledge he basically enabled the terrorist threats in the Mid-East that we deal with today and had a major hand with the instability in South America that still goes on to this day?

It's not going to change anything or hurt public perception much considering what is known about his presidency already and you really can't find a Presidency in our lifetime that doesn't have scandal attached that outweighs their actual accomplishments sans, ironically enough, Richard Nixon. So if being the spark that lit the match to modern day terrorism and having a hand in South America's perpetual guerrilla insurgencies wont have his congressional library taken down, what are 50 year old racist comments going to do aside from offending millions of people who weren't even alive, or even their parents,when the comments were made?

We're going to disagree, but it's a footnote in history of a bad man that is overly scrutinized by today's standards. It's already being sensationalized as a dog whistle for people like OP and the person I replied to the way tweets like this signal for the Chrises and djohns of the world and I've addressed that person the way a Chris or djohn is address when they post things that are minor in the grand scheme of things.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But but but Trump...

Dumb snowflakes most presidents have been racists 10x more than Trump. Yet ya dummies pretend Trump is the first racist president
    So you knew Ronald Reagan referred to black Africans in the U.N. as monkeys (possibly for not wearing shoes)?

I never heard of Reagan stating anything like this.
    I thought his economics was I’ll-informed, but I did not know he had called blacks monkeys.

I also did not know Nixon had a hang up with trying to prove blacks had inferior intelligence.
    I knew from tapes he used slurs, but I did not know he actual spent time on the less intelligent nonsense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact it was buried for 50 years is the real story here.
    Bingo

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This should be the subject of the author’s next article.

The exchange was taped by Nixon, and then later became the responsibility of the Nixon Presidential Library, which I directed from 2007 to 2011. When the National Archives originally released the tape of this conversation, in 2000, the racist portion was apparently withheld to protect Reagan’s privacy. A court order stipulated that the tapes be reviewed chronologically; the chronological review was completed in 2013. Not until 2017 or 2018 did the National Archives begin a general rereview of the earliest Nixon tapes. Reagan’s death, in 2004, eliminated the privacy concerns. Last year, as a researcher, I requested that the conversations involving Ronald Reagan be rereviewed, and two weeks ago, the National Archives released complete versions of the October 1971 conversations involving Reagan online.

What Exactly is going on here? Responsibilities for public record, laws involved. How? Who was involved in this omission? As a director, he should know.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sad what has become of college education...completely unqualified and a racist

https://philosophy.tamu.edu/people/tommy-curry/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is fascinating. People just now are beginning to think Reagan may have been racist?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is fascinating. People just now are beginning to think Reagan may have been racist?

SEVEN THINGS ABOUT RONALD REAGAN

YOU WON’T HEAR AT THE REAGAN LIBRARY GOP DEBATE (2015)

1. Reagan launched his 1980 general election campaign with a speech

lauding “states’ rights”

outside Philadelphia, Mississippi —

the site of the
    notorious “Mississippi Burning” murder of three civil rights workers in 1964.

https://theintercept.com/2015/09/16/seven-things-reagan-wont-mentioned-tonight-gops-debate/

Reagan holding his first campaign rally in the racist Confederacy,

with full on racist dog whistling,

continuing Nixon/A er/Ailes "Southern Strategy" of recruiting/cementing southern racist Dems to be southern racist Repugs,

and the johnny rebels still are racist Repugs, indoctrinated to hate Damn Yankee govt.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

SEVEN THINGS ABOUT RONALD REAGAN

YOU WON’T HEAR AT THE REAGAN LIBRARY GOP DEBATE (2015)

1. Reagan launched his 1980 general election campaign with a speech

lauding “states’ rights”

outside Philadelphia, Mississippi —

the site of the
    notorious “Mississippi Burning” murder of three civil rights workers in 1964.

https://theintercept.com/2015/09/16/seven-things-reagan-wont-mentioned-tonight-gops-debate/

Reagan holding his first campaign rally in the racist Confederacy,

with full on racist dog whistling,

continuing Nixon/A er/Ailes "Southern Strategy" of recruiting/cementing southern racist Dems to be southern racist Repugs,

and the johnny rebels still are racist Repugs, indoctrinated to hate Damn Yankee govt.

And yet where are the predominantly white neighborhoods where black people can't go without fear of being a victim of crime???
    And yet every single damn crime statistic bears out that black males overwhelmingly commit the vast majority of violent crimes/felonies
    And yet the statistics bear out that BLM is a LIE and and a farce....
    And yet the statistics bear out far more white people are killed every year by black people than the reverse
    And yet when white folks leave neighborhoods to be away from blacks its called racism
    And yet when white folk wanna move into black neighborhoods its called gentrification...

Are you sensing a theme here????
    Up is down and black is white etc...

When you indoctrinate a victim mentality into people,they'll always cry that you've done something,say anything to get what YOU have without working for it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TBB white grievance melt down

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the real meaning of free speech is the freedom to say racist without criticism

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the real meaning of free speech is the freedom to say racist without criticism
    Yeah, that midget Ben Shapiro constantly dropping n-bombs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's say you're not a score-boarder, that you're genuine and your words reflect your actions (FWIW, I do believe you're one of the few people who acts as they say on this board). What does this mean to you? What is the useful application of this "unearthed" knowledge considering everyone today is aware of his crimes and shady dealings? Say you do happen to want to tear down his "legacy" (absolutely understandable), what is this going to change anything when it's common knowledge he basically enabled the terrorist threats in the Mid-East that we deal with today and had a major hand with the instability in South America that still goes on to this day?

It's not going to change anything or hurt public perception much considering what is known about his presidency already and you really can't find a Presidency in our lifetime that doesn't have scandal attached that outweighs their actual accomplishments sans, ironically enough, Richard Nixon. So if being the spark that lit the match to modern day terrorism and having a hand in South America's perpetual guerrilla insurgencies wont have his congressional library taken down, what are 50 year old racist comments going to do aside from offending millions of people who weren't even alive, or even their parents,when the comments were made?

We're going to disagree, but it's a footnote in history of a bad man that is overly scrutinized by today's standards. It's already being sensationalized as a dog whistle for people like OP and the person I replied to the way tweets like this signal for the Chrises and djohns of the world and I've addressed that person the way a Chris or djohn is address when they post things that are minor in the grand scheme of things.
    I don't necessarily believe information needs a useful application. Obviously, political discourse is in a terrible place right now; and yes, people are going to scoreboard and have shallow partisan arguments over this, but I don't think our information cycle should ever be dictated by how capable the public is to rationally discussing such information (you could argue that it already is - how many policy deep dives do you see on any cable news network? They know the general public is either too stupid or too disinterested in that sort of thing).

I also think you probably overestimate the number of people who know the Reagan administration's role in destabilizing Central and South America and the Middle East, tbh. Maybe there's a 17 year old kid who read about the racist comments and decided to look into Reagan's history a little more. Not a bad thing.

Overall, real information is always a good thing in an atmosphere of disinformation. It's not hard to imagine a world where someone like Dinesh D'Sousa might convince a large swath of idiots something like "Ronald Reagan cared more for African Americans than any president in the 20th century." I'm glad we have another thing to reference against such an argument if the time arose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And yet where are the predominantly white neighborhoods where black people can't go without fear of being a victim of crime???
    And yet every single damn crime statistic bears out that black males overwhelmingly commit the vast majority of violent crimes/felonies
    And yet the statistics bear out far more white people are killed every year by black people than the reverse
    And yet when white folks leave neighborhoods to be away from blacks its called racism
    And yet when white folk wanna move into black neighborhoods its called gentrification...

When you indoctrinate a victim mentality into people,they'll always cry that you've done something,say anything to get what YOU have without working for it
    ^Lol this silly.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

So whites are the real victims here, right?

Thread Information