Is the answer 1 or 16.

I'm leaning towards 1.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Boston Celtics
    Blake, who really gives a , well?

All those numbers reminded me of this.

Last edited by Sir Johnny; 08-01-2019 at 03:00 AM.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Having a hard time tutoring your biracial child?

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Boston Celtics
    Having a hard time tutoring your biracial child?
    That was ing stupid guy, TONS and TONS of biracial children out there, what a dumb thing to say.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Don't know if this is some kind of troll . But an equivalent expression is 8/2*(2+2) so the answer is 16.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Don't know if this is some kind of troll . But an equivalent expression is 8/2*(2+2) so the answer is 16.
    I'm thinking someone ed something up somewhere and this is calling them out in some way.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Meh if you want an interesting math question jump down the rabbit hole that is the axiom of choice. Or maybe how complicated the idea of infinity is mathematically.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...m-2019-solved/

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Hmm. I didn't realize that it's actually debatable.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    Cuck thinks he found a conundrum. Cute.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    That was ing stupid guy, TONS and TONS of biracial children out there, what a dumb thing to say.
    The joke is that it's not his child. It's his wife's that she made with her black lover on the side.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    And yes the answer is 1. PEMDAS.

=

=

_

= 1

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    The joke is that it's not his child. It's his wife's that she made with her black lover on the side.
    You and derp imagining black guy sex is a good one

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    its 16, and should be pretty unambiguous. trainwreck laid it out perfectly.

when you have 8/2*4, you dont arbitrarily decide to multiply the 2 with the 4. you go left to right when there is any ambiguity.

to me this just smells like the dumb facebook clickbait you'll see: "CAN YOU SOLVE THIS? ONLY 1 IN 50 ARE ABLE TO SEE IT!" and then its a basic order of operations issue

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I hate to agree with him bc he's sick in the head and annoying, but Millennial Messiah is right.

The issue as I have come to conclude is the math problem would get thrown out of a test bc it's written ambiguously. You treat the bottom part of a division symbol as a denominator unless explicitly told otherwise.

There is a reason why after fifth grade they don't write that division symbol for questions like this in tests for any math class. They use the "/" fraction sign.
    That's why the answer is 1.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So I guess you could say if the question is asked to a bunch of babies, the answer is 16, but if the question were asked to adults with decent math knowledge the answer is 1.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    I hate to agree with him bc he's sick in the head and annoying, but Millennial Messiah is right.

The issue as I have come to conclude is the math problem would get thrown out of a test bc it's written ambiguously. You treat the bottom part of a division symbol as a denominator unless explicitly told otherwise.
    That's why the answer is 1.
    thats bull tbh... if you had 8/4+4, you dont naturally assume that its 8/8. you apply order of operations. if there were parentheses around the entire "denominator" only then do you reach that conclusion, as in 8/(2(2+2)). otherwise you make no such assumption. apply order of operations and move left to right

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    So I guess you could say if the question is asked to a bunch of babies, the answer is 16, but if the question were asked to adults with decent math knowledge the answer is 1.
    if you agree with me you're an adult and if you disagree with me you're a bunch of babies

got it

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    thats bull tbh... if you had 8/4+4, you dont naturally assume that its 8/8. you apply order of operations. if there were parentheses around the entire "denominator" only then do you reach that conclusion, as in 8/(2(2+2)). otherwise you make no such assumption. apply order of operations and move left to right
    Did you go to a school that used the division symbol in math questions beyond jr high

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Did you go to a school that used the division symbol in math questions beyond jr high
    yes. i also went to one that taught the order of operations

find a scientific calculator that will give you the result of 1 when you input the problem. i posted a snapshot above when i ran it through

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    yes. i also went to one that taught the order of operations

find a scientific calculator that will give you the result of 1 when you input the problem. i posted a snapshot above when i ran it through
    okkk
    A nicer way of putting what I said earlier is that this question throws off people bc you typically don't see that division symbol in any math beyond jr high. At least not TYPICALLY. yes you go left to right and yes everyone knows order of operations. As it's written with that division sign yeah the answer would be 16. But it short circuits people's math bc you don't see division written that way without it being understood bottom part is a denominator once you get beyond basic arithmetic.

It's a question that would be a bonus question on a 4th or 5th grade math test.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    okkk
    A nicer way of putting what I said earlier is that this question throws off people bc you typically don't see that division symbol in any math beyond jr high. At least not TYPICALLY. yes you go left to right and yes everyone knows order of operations. As it's written with that division sign yeah the answer would be 16. But it short circuits people's math bc you don't see division written that way without it being understood bottom part is a denominator once you get beyond basic arithmetic.

It's a question that would be a bonus question on a 4th or 5th grade math test.
    yeah but short of brackets you're not going to just assume that everything following a division sign is in the denominator

otherwise what is 8/4+4

do you just naturally assume that its 8/8 = 1? no

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    every calculator you use, including scientific/graphing ones are going to use the same division sign that you are complaining about. and they will all read the answer for this problem to be 16

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    yeah but short of brackets you're not going to just assume that everything following a division sign is in the denominator

otherwise what is 8/4+4

do you just naturally assume that its 8/8 = 1? no
    After a certain point in math division is virtually always written as a fraction. So yeah, it's easy to understand why people would.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    every calculator you use, including scientific/graphing ones are going to use the same division sign that you are complaining about. and they will all read the answer for this problem to be 16
    Did not see a question using that symbol or of that ambiguous nature on the GRE and that is the comprehensive test of idiot-level math

Thread Information