notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

"Danny Thomas, Founder"

A short story by Dale Robinson

It'd been years since the end:

"Why, Donald?"

"Ann." His tone slightly sliced with threat.

"Is there someone else?"

"Christ." He started to rise then fell back into the chair.

"It's the sex, isn't it?" A slight streak thru her tone.

Don came back, right over the top...

"What sex?"

"You knew the rules, Donald. My father forbids it."

"Yes, yes, yes, the great Danny Thomas." He'd waited for her to launch him. He pounced: "How'd does he introduce me, Ann, let's see,,,oh yeah, I got it: "And Ann's power mower, Donald Hollinger, a beat writer for a great metropolitan newspaper."

She used to have to stifle a laugh at such introduction, no more, it'd been a while. He wouldn't stop, no matter how many times she'd approach him: "Daddy, please." He wouldn't even look at her.

"He's a comic by trade, Donald. It's his craft, his way."

"Also his way to prompt my ability to support you at marriage? '$67.50, huh, hot shot? You going to pay the rent on that apartment, that boundless wardrobe, that Hollywood lifestyle in New York City? On $67.50? I don't think so, Don. Not from where I stand. No, kid, I pay for all that. Holy smokes, more than half the spots she gets are thru her old man. She knows that. That stops, all that stops when she says 'I do.'"

"Donald." It hurt to hear it. She'd not been privy to the sit the two men had conducted one afternoon at his production offices there in the city. She'd gotten it 2nd hand from Donald several months later. How he held onto it that long never ceased to amaze her. And upon reflection, perhaps he shouldn't have. She thought about approaching her father, but, she knew better. He was intractable.

He wouldn't even look at her. "Donald, please, please look at me." He wouldn't even look at her.

---------

Her father passed on the opposite coast in early February, 1991. They'd discussed Donald Hollinger not once in the interim. "Daddy, please. I need to talk to you about him." He wouldn't even look at her.

5 years later Donald Hollinger, his heart broken finally failed to beat again.

---The End---

-When a child is treated at St. Jude, families never receive a bill for treatment, travel, housing or food - because all they should worry about is helping their child live.-

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry Cub, but the bloom is off the rose. Maybe head back to the reading room for a while and await a second chance to make another nostalgia tour.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Sorry Cub, but the bloom is off the rose. Maybe head back to the reading room for a while and await a second chance to make another nostalgia tour.
    Please. I got a retro on a Green Acres SS rolling about in my gourd as we speak.

Thread Information