Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [LEFT]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because conservatives are afraid someone might say something mean, shun them socially, or boycott their businesses?

Talk about having the cowardice of one's own convictions.
    Well let's get all the cowards in the open then. Get rid of secret ballots. Have Castro shame every Trump voter coming out of the open booth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well let's get all the cowards in the open then. Get rid of secret ballots. Have Castro shame every Trump voter coming out of the open booth.
    That's just silly, Blake. Politcal contributions aren't the voting booth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone virtue signal harder than Whinehole?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does anyone virtue signal harder than Whinehole?
    if you dont have a rebuttal, sometimes its better to just stay quiet tbh

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    He called them racist because they supported Trump. So did the voter....Trump supporter racist ergo sum.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I asked Darrin at least twice to weigh in on whether he thought political contributions should be secret, apparently it wasn't something he wanted to discuss.

I'm old enough to remeber when the NYT printed a list of everyone who gave money to the Clinton Foundation, right down to donations of $1; Darrin is old enough to remember it too, maybe he's loath to give up disclosure as a club to bash political enemies, like Joaquin Castro is doing now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    supporting Trump now equivalent to bigotry - have some of you not learned anything from the last election - painting millions with a broad brush. Do you think I want my car keyed? my house egged by some nut?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    When you throw that blanket up in the air, it can float down on anyone.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I asked Darrin at least twice to weigh in on whether he thought political contributions should be secret, apparently it wasn't something he wanted to discuss.

I'm old enough to remeber when the NYT printed a list of everyone who gave money to the Clinton Foundation, right down to donations of $1; Darrin is old enough to remember it too, maybe he's loath to give up disclosure as a club to bash political enemies, like Joaquin Castro is doing now.
    Did the NYT make sweeping generalizations concerning the donating population?

I don't remember them doing so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He called them racist because they supported Trump. So did the voter....Trump supporter racist ergo sum.
    A political opinion, one that is widely held.

I didn't think that racism was the main reason DJT won in 2016, but I do think it's the main reason he'll lose next year.

I think DJT has shown his racist bona fides, time after time, policy after policy. Whether Trump supporters personally consider thenselves racist matters little: they all support a candidate who continues to demonize brown people and mainstream herrenfolk democracy, even after notorious white power massacres.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did the NYT make sweeping generalizations concerning the donating population?

I don't remember them doing so.
    Not sure why that matters. Why does it?

Disclosure is disclosure is disclosure. I seriously doubt the NYT's anodyne recitation of facts failed to inflame a wacko or two for being anodyne.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 08-12-2019 at 09:32 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you throw that blanket up in the air, it can float down on anyone.
    Absolutely, but the law makes a distinction between the voting booth and the checkbook.

Btw, I agreed with Blake part way, I can see the privacy issue, just unsure it trumps the broader public interest to have as much information as possible about money influencing politics.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Not sure why that matters. Why does it?
    Donations are already public record. Perjorative generaliztions applied to said records are asinine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Donations are already public record. Perjorative generaliztions applied to said records are asinine.
    That's a fair objection, but this goes back to my question about normative values, which DarrinS likewise avoided:

Do politicians, and especially politicians who hold high office and wield great influence, have any obligation to curtail what they say, or refrain from singling people out for calumny?

I think there's a good argument to be had that the answer is yes, but oddly, none of the people criticizing Joaquin Castro so far want to have that conversation either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yahtzee

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, thanks counselor

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, Darren, do you think politicians have a normative obligation not to single people out pejoratively in their tweets?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Demands answers, then ditches when the roles are reversed.

Classic DarrinS.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    supporting Trump now equivalent to bigotry - have some of you not learned anything from the last election - painting millions with a broad brush. Do you think I want my car keyed? my house egged by some nut?
    Could be worse; you could be shot after the president goes along with someone's saying you should be shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol "painting millions with a broad brush"

They don't see a problem. They turn a blind eye to what is happening in Europe. They sprout their statistics instead of using common sense. Don't invite people from terrorist countries into the US.
    Last edited by Blake; 08-13-2019 at 12:28 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you want to prevent potential corruption through transparency while I want to prevent potential violence through cons utional right to privacy?

To each his own.
    We have a system to deal with violence already that doesn't need to step all over electoral transparency, and also provides tangible remedies for victims.

You're looking to implement a solution for something that already has one, all the while weakening democracy. I'm not on board, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not about you. In the grand scheme of things, having transparency of how money flows in politics and how it influences decision makers is much more important than a dozen eggs or a paint job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not about you. In the grand scheme of things, having transparency of how money flows in politics and how it influences decision makers is much more important than a dozen eggs or a paint job.
    BUT THE MEAN LIBERAL SCARED NICE PEOPLE AND DID A DIVISIVE

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    We had that prior to Castro's troll job.

Thread Information