Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope we get to see this team on the floor for some minutes. DJM, White, LW4, Luka, Poeltl lets see their potential.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope we get to see this team on the floor for some minutes. DJM, White, LW4, Luka, Poeltl lets see their potential.

That's potentially a lottery pick next year if we see very much of it. They would have to have the best DRTG of any team in NBA history.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dejounte and Derrick have to reduce drastically their turnovers.

I don't understand. White's TO rate was pretty damn good. I just did a quick search of guards who played starter minutes (>1,600) and had at least 250 AST (White had 263). White's TO/100 possessions put him about 11th on the list. If you look at just PG's, he was probably about 5th in the league last season. TO's aren't his problem - he's pretty sure-handed. It was one of the things that really made him stand out last season.

If you look at guys who handled the ball a lot, and dished out as many AST's as him, most of his stats range from solid to exceptional, compared to the other guys on the list. The biggest hole in his game was 3P shooting. If his 3P% had been up around .400, his numbers would have had him pushing the list of top tier players. I'll admit, he got his ass kicked a bit in the playoffs, particularly in the TO department. But that's to be expected from a young PG whose never experienced playoff pressure. But for the entire regular season, his TO/100 possessions was exceptional, and his RB, STL, and BLK numbers were near elite among starting PG's. But it was his low TO rate that was really surprising, considering his background and having played his first year in the G-League.

Don't take my word for it - run a search for yourself. Filter out guys who played short minutes - both for sample size, and because they were playing against subs. Limit it to guards. Make sure they dished at least 250 AST - that means they were handling the ball themselves, and getting that ball pressure. White's TO rate was among the lowest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I trust your statistical analysis. Probably my opinion about White's TOs is biased due to the relevance of some of them in key moments. He's had very good games taking care of the ball, I remember some of them even in the playoffs. He also made several costly mistakes in stretches.

I'm ok with him not completing a tough pass here and there when in exchange he creates point blank shots to teammates. Our team needs that kind of playmaking from somebody else than DeRozan, whom does it by finding the free man when he's doubled. White doesn't necessarily need to receive attention from several defenders to find a cutter, a roller in a ball screen or an open man when he penetrates. He's quite good passing.

In the other hand, both White and DeRozan are vulnerable under high defensive pressure when they dribble the ball from the defensive half court. They lack awareness in transition and broken plays as well (and thanks to their good defense they generate a lot of these situations). This is what I'm talking about when I'm thinking on reducing TOs. Murray isn't such a good passer, he has to learn the system and when and how can he pass to each teammate. DeJounte needs repe ion and disciplne whilst Derrick needs confidence, but both need experience, to play more and more NBA games. I think it's about time they get better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyle Lowry withdraws from USA World Cup team

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White had the same problem Poodle had in the when Gaysoft was out hurt he played great when he came back he regressed. It seemed to me when DEROZZ was hurt was when White was really balling when he came back he went back to beta mode.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For some reason, I can't post it, but there's a video on ballislife's YouTube channel of White shooting with Tatum and Middleton for about 10 minutes and let's just say it didn't go well.

Obviously don't want to read too much into it, but it didn't exactly inspire confidence that they could get away with a Murray-White-DeRozan lineup in even spot minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For some reason, I can't post it, but there's a video on ballislife's YouTube channel of White shooting with Tatum and Middleton for about 10 minutes and let's just say it didn't go well.

Obviously don't want to read too much into it, but it didn't exactly inspire confidence that they could get away with a Murray-White-DeRozan lineup in even spot minutes.
    Just watched some of it and tbf it's been all on the move/running around screens type 3s. I don't think he'll ever be that kind of shooter but also don't think he needs to be. As long he can spot up or shoot off the dribble when the defense goes under screens he'll be fine, imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just watched some of it and tbf it's been all on the move/running around screens type 3s. I don't think he'll ever be that kind of shooter but also don't think he needs to be. As long he can spot up or shoot off the dribble when the defense goes under screens he'll be fine, imo.

It does seem White has bulked up a bit. Hopefully he can improve his shooting and his frame.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

There's another one today (some spot up) with him, Walker and Turner and it's even worse. Turner shoots way better off movement than him.

He keeps dropping his head after each successive miss. Confidence lacking, clearly overthinking it.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's another one today (some spot up) with him, Walker and Turner and it's even worse. Turner shoots way better off movement than him.

He keeps dropping his head after each successive miss. Confidence lacking, clearly overthinking it.
    Growing pains imo. Better to get over them during the summer. I think FkLA is right, I wouldn't worry too much about him not being good at sprinting to a spot, catching, and shooting like Danny used to do.

Thread Information