Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Grown ass men still playing video games
    tbh... i think an hour, maybe two a week is okay but i know people play a lot more than that.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    you can't do men vs women in this game though, right?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In other news, a woman soccer player is actually hitting 30-yard FGs in practice.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...cid=spartanntp

Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is just the NBA trying to force "inclusive" and increase viewership among women. I don't really care or this move.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    where’s the “wnba deserves their own game” outrage?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    where’s the “wnba deserves their own game” outrage?
    They're afraid of how bad the sales would be tbh this way they can just hamfist it in there to keep the mono's of the world happy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doing the Shaq on Chris Dudley dunk right into Rebecca Lobo's snout would be glorious.
    It's sad that I can remember Rebecca Lobo and Cheryl Swoopes and Lisa Leslie from the league's launch and an episode of Martin Lawrence but I think the only WNBA player I know of is Griner and Turassi.

To quote a great man, "The next time I watch a WNBA game will be the first time I watch a WNBA game.".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best case I guess I can play as Becky Hammon or some (idk anyone else in WNBA lol). Worst case at least its subpar fap material. Either way nothing to get butthurt over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh... i think an hour, maybe two a week is okay but i know people play a lot more than that.
    That's ridiculous. Would you tell someone they shouldn't play chess, or practice a musical instrument for more than 2 hours a week? Why do you think video games are worse than other hobbies? Your view is archaic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's ridiculous. Would you tell someone they shouldn't play chess, or practice a musical instrument for more than 2 hours a week? Why do you think video games are worse than other hobbies? Your view is archaic.
    There are actually quite a few studies indicating that video games over stimulate certain senses (mostly visual) while not stimulating any other senses, causing issues in Brain growth in younger children.

You can certainly dispute it but I don’t see the view of limiting video game playing being archaic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are actually quite a few studies indicating that video games over stimulate certain senses (mostly visual) while not stimulating any other senses, causing issues in Brain growth in younger children.

You can certainly dispute it but I don’t see the view of limiting video game playing being archaic.
    That's an oversimplification. There are many types of video games, so lumping them all into one category is misleading to begin with. There are strategy games, shooting games, role-playing games, compe ive games, relaxing games, story-driven games, etc, each involving different cognitive and perceptual skills.

One thing they all have in common, though, is that they are multisensory interactive experiences. Why would you think games only stimulate visual perception when they all have music? That's auditory perception. "Video games" are the most complex artform in existence, and they're becoming increasingly complex over time.

Just the fact that we are capable of playing video games is really quite incredible. We take it for granted now, but when you really consider what it entails, it is actually one of the most cognitively-demanding tasks that humans have ever invented. Think about it - to play a video game, you have to synchronize your motor responses with the perceptual feedback on an interface, which is constantly being updated by the user's input, creating more stimuli in a constant feedback loop. No other animals can do this. It is a uniquely human activity.

Research has also shown positive benefits of gaming. There's a whole sector of psychology research that uses interactive games as a source of cognitive training. Even FPS games are shown to improve reaction time. Sure, there are some negative findings, but research is often biased toward finding what it sets out to find. (And it pains me to admit this, coming from an experimental psychology background.)

That view is archaic because, like all forms of media, video games were shunned by society when they were first introduced, until they gradually became more accepted. They're only going to continue being more mainstream until people who oppose them completely die off, just like people who believed reading books was bad for you in medieval times.
    Last edited by Arcadian; 08-22-2019 at 06:40 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's an oversimplification. There are many types of video games, so lumping them all into one category is misleading to begin with. There are strategy games, shooting games, role-playing games, compe ive games, relaxing games, story-driven games, etc, each involving different cognitive and perceptual skills.

One thing they all have in common, though, is that they are multisensory interactive experiences. Why would you think games only stimulate visual perception when they all have music? That's auditory perception. "Video games" are the most complex artform in existence, and they're becoming increasingly complex over time.

Just the fact that we are capable of playing video games is really quite incredible. We take it for granted now, but when you really consider what it entails, it is actually one of the most cognitively-demanding tasks that humans have ever invented. Think about it - to play a video game, you have to synchronize your motor responses with the perceptual feedback on an interface, which is constantly being updated by the user's input, creating more stimuli in a constant feedback loop. No other animals can do this. It is a uniquely human activity.

Research has also shown positive benefits of gaming. There's a whole sector of psychology research that uses interactive games as a source of cognitive training. Even FPS games are shown to improve reaction time. Sure, there are some negative findings, but research is often biased toward finding what it sets out to find. (And it pains me to admit this, coming from an experimental psychology background.)

That view is archaic because, like all forms of media, video games were shunned by society when they were first introduced, until they gradually became more accepted. They're only going to continue being more mainstream until people who oppose them completely die off, just like people who believed reading books was bad for you in medieval times.
    Like I said. You can argue with those studies all you want but to say the view is archaic is far from true. Neither side had been proven and both sides have argument s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said. You can argue with those studies all you want but to say the view is archaic is far from true. Neither side had been proven and both sides have argument s
    It's not as if one side is right and the other is wrong. It's not that simple. Both sides are right in different ways, but as I illustrated in my previous post, to paint this picture of video games are a braindead hobby unworthy of anyone's time is a vast misrepresentation of what games really are. I hold video games in higher regard than any other artform because they combine several other artforms - music, storytelling, visual art, animation - PLUS the interactive element.

For proof that video games require cognitive ability, watch an old person try to play one. It's hilarious. They might as well be Neanderthals trying to figure out an arcane piece of alien technology.
    Last edited by Arcadian; 08-22-2019 at 07:17 PM.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    comparing practicing a musical instrument to playing video games

i don't even consider video gaming a hobby tbh, i just consider it a waste of time. which it is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    comparing practicing a musical instrument to playing video games

i don't even consider video gaming a hobby tbh, i just consider it a waste of time. which it is.
    Actually yes, video games require vast amounts of practice in order to master them, just like musical instruments do, just as any other skill does. I'm both a musician and a gamer, so I've experienced the analogy first-hand.

Read my posts above and try to respond if you can. If you dismiss it all, then I'm right by default.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    mastering video games they aren’t even that hard

you play video games and you’re a musician? imagine how much further along as a musician you’d be if you were working on that instead of playing games.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    video games are a waste of time unless you’re a professional gamer or a game developer. people sinking so much of their time into something that isn’t real... smh.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    and wasting your time can be fine but i know people sink a ton of time into gaming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mastering video games they aren’t even that hard

you play video games and you’re a musician? imagine how much further along as a musician you’d be if you were working on that instead of playing games.
    What a ridiculous generalization. That's like saying "sports aren't that hard." Some are harder than others. Some are insanely difficult and require thousands of hours of practice to be compe ive. Some aren't even comparable to others because, as I said, lumping all "video games" into one category doesn't make sense in the first place. Playing a real-time strategy game vs. playing a graphic adventure are completely different experiences, for example.

You know what's funny? You're a basketball fan, so you presumably find it worthwhile to spend time watching other people play a game - yet somehow, when it comes to directly playing a game yourself, you'd think that's a waste of time. <facepalm>
    Last edited by Arcadian; 08-22-2019 at 08:03 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, the whole "imagine what you could do if you didn't spend time on video games" point is stupid. You can apply that same reasoning to anything in life. Imagine how good at mathematics I'd be if I practiced calculus every Sunday instead of going to church to learn about some bull religion in my formative years. Now that's a tradeoff I'd like to make.

We all do things we find worthwhile because we enjoy them. Nobody really knows what's going on in this bizarre world, and we don't know our ultimate purpose in life, but we make the most of it and enjoy ourselves as much as possible while we're here. Some people devote themselves to one thing, and that's cool. Some of us enjoy more variety.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not as if one side is right and the other is wrong. It's not that simple. Both sides are right in different ways, but as I illustrated in my previous post, to paint this picture of video games are a braindead hobby unworthy of anyone's time is a vast misrepresentation of what games really are. I hold video games in higher regard than any other artform because they combine several other artforms - music, storytelling, visual art, animation - PLUS the interactive element.

For proof that video games require cognitive ability, watch an old person try to play one. It's hilarious. They might as well be Neanderthals trying to figure out an arcane piece of alien technology.
    Video games require an insane amount of eye hand coordination. But that doesn’t dismiss the notion that people shouldn’t play more than a certain amount of video games a day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best case I guess I can play as Becky Hammon or some (idk anyone else in WNBA lol). Worst case at least its subpar fap material. Either way nothing to get butthurt over.
    WTF does butthurt even mean?

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WTF does butthurt even mean?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    video games are a waste of time unless you’re a professional gamer or a game developer. people sinking so much of their time into something that isn’t real... smh.
    You don't watch tv, watch movies, etc?

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why improve the gameplay when you can add the pathetic wnba in the game.

show some balls 2k and make the girls their own game. Let's see how it sells.

Thread Information